Old 02-14-2017, 08:13 AM   #1
srdmusic
Human being with feelings

Default Items won't lock

I reported this in the general forum but I'm not sure if it's a newly introduced bug since I'm on the pre-release version.

I can't lock items in Reaper and I'm assuming it's either a bug or I'm missing a check box somewhere.

Locking the item does not actually lock it's position or it's ability to be edited. I'm not actually sure what item locking is doing as position and edits really the only reason most users would need to lock an item. I can still cut and move the item freely which would indicate that the item is not actually locked even though the locked icon shows up on the item.

Is there another way to lock an items position/ edit functions or is this a bug?
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #2
srdmusic

After further investigation is looks like there is an option to lock item position in the item lock settings but there is no option in the settings window that allows items to not be cut or edited.

The 'lock item full' check box seems like it should do the trick but it's not stopping me from being able to slip the item.

This is a really big problem for us that work in film. We need the ability to lock video and production audio to smpte timecode so that we don't accidentally chop a section out of the film and cause our music to be out of sync.

I made that exact mistake this week and I got a very upset email from a client asking why my cue wasn't syncing half way through playing back the film. I had accidently cut a portion of the video file out of my sequence while conforming the music to a new picture cut.

If someone has found a solution to this please let me know. If there isn't one native, is there a scriptable workaround or do we need cockos to implement this?
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #3
Gianfini

Yes +1 to this...

there doesn't seem to be a lock option that prevent splitting of specific items (if not the Global Lock from the menu bar, which affects all items)

We should post a FR

g
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #4
grobsen

This is the only thing that seriously bugs me in REAPER. The only workaround I found is cutting the "locked" item and then pasting it back after doing edits in the timeline which is hardly an appropriate solution for a quality piece of software like REAPER.
I also have no idea who would want it the way it works now (locking stuff and still be able to edit it).

I wrote a lengthy mail to cockos about it - not sure they ever received it - and wanted to put up a feature request but never managed to do that.
grobsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:15 PM   #5
vanhaze

Reading this thread and being a total "lock" noob, cause i never use locking, i decided
to take a look in Action List, did a search for "lock"

The number of search results is just overwhelming ...pffff.

Which Action you use to lock an Item ?
Is it maybe "item properties: lock" ?

Looking at these actions, i assume there are different Locking modes, for locking different things concerning an Item.
I see an action "Options: Show lock settings"
When run, i see a window in which you can make settings what things you want to Lock.

Did you try out making settings in this Window ?

Also there is an Action "Locking: Toggle full item locking mode"
At first side, i would assume this is some kind of "master" Lock Action, which locks EVERY aspect of an Item and thereby "overriding" the settings made in the lock settings window.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #6
grobsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Did you try out making settings in this Window ?
The "Lock Settings" menu can also be accessed by right clicking on the lock toolbar icon btw.

Unfortunately even with all options ticked, items can still be edited by actions as "Time Selection: Remove contents of time selection" or "Time Selection: Insert empty space at time selection".
Old 02-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #7
vanhaze

Yeah, "seeing" now what you mean..
Tested those 2 Actions under full lock settings and indeed, items still do move by these 2 Actions, for me also.
Totally illogical and faulty behaviour
Old 02-14-2017, 03:07 PM   #8
grobsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by grobsen View Post
Unfortunately even with all options ticked, items can still be edited by actions as "Time Selection: Remove contents of time selection" or "Time Selection: Insert empty space at time selection".
I just saw in another thread that there are indeed custom scripts for both actions that exclude locked items:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=187919

Though I still think this should be default behaviour without the need for custom scripts.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:35 AM   #9
Gianfini

Default FR

Just submitted a FR referring to this thread

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...04#post1802604

g
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:23 AM   #10
MinorKey

+1 to this whole thread.
MinorKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:20 AM   #11
blumpy

Default Agreed

This is in the feature request thread here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....highlight=lock

and probably in there several times but i must concur.

A lock that doesn't work is a broken lock. IMHO this is a bug as you should never be able to cut, edit, or move a locked item even with a region edit.
blumpy is offline   Reply With Quote