Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 01-27-2020, 02:25 AM   #81
Jorgen
Human being with feelings

Brilliant. Thank you.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:22 PM   #82
gaiamuse

Hi
I disabled the kontrol m32 keyboard for midiOut in the midi device settings so only the kontrol m32 keyboard is the only device enabled for midiIN - this enabled the track mode in 0.96 version. All the modes work now with a few extended features.
The auto button does not light up so that is disabled so won't be able to toggle between trim & latch mode. However I'm so pleased that the basics plus a few extras work with the m32. Also can update to latest version.

Many thanks for all your work.

cheers
gaiamuse
gaiamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:40 PM   #83
Locodarwin

Default Very thankful

So I picked up the S49 and installed your little plugin. It works beautifully and really opens this keyboard up for Reaper. Excellent work!
Locodarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:24 AM   #84
cjewellstudios

Sorry if I missed this in the thread or its obvious:

What is the limited functionality of the A series compared to the s mk2 in terms of the features you've added here? All I can see is that the A and M series have "limited functionality.
cjewellstudios is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:20 PM   #85
brummbear

Aside from the keyboard‘s different hardware capabilities (compare buttons and screens w S series) NI apparently introduced some subtle differences in the MIDI message protocol. As a result the display peak meter calibration may not be spot on ( on S series I calibrated the dB values on the screens to reflect Reaper‘s meters exactly), and changing the volume in 0.1dB / 1dB steps with the 4D encoder may not be working correctly in Mixer View. Also automation and quantize could potentially not be supported in all aspects. Since I do not have an A or M series keyboard I cannot test or adjust the code with these ones.

But all the basics should work incl instance focus.
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:46 AM   #86
cjewellstudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummbear View Post
Aside from the keyboard‘s different hardware capabilities (compare buttons and screens w S series) NI apparently introduced some subtle differences in the MIDI message protocol. As a result the display peak meter calibration may not be spot on ( on S series I calibrated the dB values on the screens to reflect Reaper‘s meters exactly), and changing the volume in 0.1dB / 1dB steps with the 4D encoder may not be working correctly in Mixer View. Also automation and quantize could potentially not be supported in all aspects. Since I do not have an A or M series keyboard I cannot test or adjust the code with these ones.

But all the basics should work incl instance focus.

Perfect!

Im going to pick up an A49 soon. Thank you.
cjewellstudios is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:22 PM   #87
terminar

Default OSX port

Hi,

for those who wants to use reaKontrol on OSX (like me) - it's possible now.

I made a small "port" this evening, code is available as pull request (https://github.com/brummbrum/reaKontrol/pull/42).
The resulting shared library for Reaper can be found here:

https://stash.reaper.fm/38633/reaper_kontrol.dylib

Bye
Björn

Last edited by terminar; 03-21-2020 at 03:24 AM.
terminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:58 AM   #88
brummbear

Hi Björn,
Very cool - a lot of people have requested this. I currently don’t have much time but will merge it on Github as soon as I find the time to verify that everything remains clean when compiling for Windows.
Thanks!
Old 03-24-2020, 01:19 PM   #89
terminar

Default OSX

You're welcome, if needed I can give further "support/testing" on OSX for reaKontrol.
Regarding the changes - it should work but next time i can also try to compile it on Windows.

Just interested, are there any additional ideas about reaKontrol for the future?
I saw some small possibilities for bugfixes and refactoring (e.g. a more "stable" device detection", code split into a little more readable functions/files - but that's more or less cosmetic style.

That stuff (reaper + reaKontrol + the hardware, I own a S61) really interests me, it can be a great platform. The work jcsteh and you did is awesome!
I wanted to take a look at qKontrol how the images are passed to the displays. And - do you know if it's possible to also get control over the "machine" only controls (scene, pattern, track)? I haven't looked at it in detail yet. Currently I am just tinkering and learning.

I had a _great_ "first" evaluation weekend with Reaper, reaKontrol and the Machine2 software. It completely killed my learning workflow with Ableton live light (because it.... just worked without limitations)..
Old 03-24-2020, 01:41 PM   #90
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminar View Post
Just interested, are there any additional ideas about reaKontrol for the future?
Support for MK1 devices
Old 03-24-2020, 05:58 PM   #91
alecgargett

Default Nektar vs ReaKontrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnGee View Post
Thank you so much I have KK M32 and it works great
I notice you use a Nektar P4 too?

Do you have (or does anyone else have) an opinion on whether I should get a Nektar LX61 or a Kontrol A61 and use ReaKontrol?

Pros and cons of each?

I don't use Native Instruments for most things but I do use it sometimes and I could use it more.

I'm also considering the T6 or P6 but they don't seem worth the extra money for me at this stage unless there is something I'm missing.

Edit: I have posted this question as a new thread here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=233261

Last edited by alecgargett; 03-24-2020 at 06:14 PM.
alecgargett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:13 PM   #92
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminar View Post
I saw some small possibilities for bugfixes and refactoring (e.g. a more "stable" device detection", code split into a little more readable functions/files - but that's more or less cosmetic style.
As you already mention I have put some smaller ideas / improvements into comments. And yes, some of the coding style is a bit ugly (but it is very efficient in terms of CPU usage)... I have a few additional functions in mind. Just a bit pre-mature and, oh, lack of time.

Quote:
I wanted to take a look at qKontrol how the images are passed to the displays.
Yeah, I looked into this very briefly too. Evaluating/sending HID messages is very tempting indeed! Especially for the currently unused buttons:

Quote:
And - do you know if it's possible to also get control over the "machine" only controls (scene, pattern, track)? I haven't looked at it in detail yet. Currently I am just tinkering and learning.
These are exactly the ones I would be keen on too. Even more than the displays or the light guide. If I have had more time I would have sniffed the USB traffic already w Wireshark to figure out how to control these. The reason why they are high on my wishlist is simple: I would like to tie more Reaper functions to the keyboard but we are running out of available buttons (even with extended Edit mode). Thus, if you have time to tinker around a little I would be interested to understand how we could make these buttons work.

In general my philosophy is to keep things lean and not overload the extension with too much stuff though (also to keep CPU to the absolute minimum). The basics should follow 1:1 NI design intent as per user manual. Also, I would not want the extension to manipulate the MIDI from the other MIDI ports of the keyboard. It is just too easy to break things for users who have developed their habits around the normal MIDI message behavior, JSFX and what not which rely on the unchanged flow of MIDI data between keyboard and DAW / KK-Software. For those who want tons of extras there is DrivenbyMoss which I think is another great extension - just too heavy for my use case.

Quote:
I had a _great_ "first" evaluation weekend with Reaper, reaKontrol and the Machine2 software. It completely killed my learning workflow with Ableton live light (because it.... just worked without limitations)..
I can only agree with that. The KK S-series keyboard + Maschine + ReaKontrol + conversion of all/most of your presets to NKS leads to an incredibly smooth workflow. Regarding Ableton: Add the Playtime Extension from Helgoboss together with a Launchpad to the above setup and you have an even more flexible non linear workflow in my opinion than Ableton incl Push has to offer.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:10 AM   #93
terminar

Quote:
If I have had more time I would have sniffed the USB traffic already w Wireshark to figure out how to control these.
Finished (first shot). I fired up wireshark and maschine 2, started capturing and gave power to my S61. And (that's much more important) i can see the traffic from the S61 with 3 different sources and different protocol stuff (USB,SYSEX,USBHID). I'll take a look tomorrow at the captured data further (and recreate new logs pressing the buttons a specific amount to identify them in the dump). If you'll give me some contact data i can provide you the dump.

Quote:
Thus, if you have time to tinker around a little I would be interested to understand how we could make these buttons work.
Time? No - same problem like you But i'll try.

Quote:
In general my philosophy is to keep things lean and not overload the extension with too much stuff though (also to keep CPU to the absolute minimum). The basics should follow 1:1 NI design intent as per user manual.
Great, my personal interest + requirements are a bit additional, i want to get some workflow like in Maschine 2 + Ableton but with Reaper and the KK (and my APC Key25 and whatever will follow like Maschine MK3 vs. Push2). My general Lua foo is also trained since *some* years and i'll also try to take a further look at the Reascript stuff. It's like Christmas for me currently getting into this.

Quote:
keyboard and DAW / KK-Software. For those who want tons of extras there is DrivenbyMoss which I think is another great extension - just too heavy for my use case.
I know the following is not rational but rather subjective: I tried DrivenbyMoss (and in general i love it) but - i HATE Java. Just kidding, i can live with that but i had some problems configuring DrivenbyMoss.
It was sort of disturbing to deactivate the KK stuff in the Midi devices, configure somewhere in the OSC section, then my KK wasn't found until i searched the manual, provide the "correct" name and so on. I like some sort of "zero touch" and auto configuration if possible. It doesn't work and feel well for me with D4M yet. Then i tried/ported reaKontrol and it just worked. That (and additionally it's C++ code which provides easier way to tinker with it) catched me.

Quote:
Regarding Ableton: Add the Playtime Extension from Helgoboss together with a Launchpad to the above setup and you have an even more flexible non linear workflow in my opinion than Ableton incl Push has to offer.
Hm, tried Playtime and found it "limitating" and irritating - but maybe i have to read more documentation. Regarding "workflow" and where i want to go: I'm currently constructing my first "bedroom producer studio" to do stuff, mainly for myself. I learned really much the last months about the DAW world and about current devices (and due to the situation that Thomann is nearby i also had a look at much devices). I was playing Piano for a long time (and also a long time ago), i heared the Komplete 12 Piano instruments and the other stuff and then tested the S61, that was the kickstart.

In some of the next month i wanted to buy the Push2 with Ableton Suite (currently i am really limited to 8track light version). I really like Ableton and that was my first choice but as the time goes by I'm shattered between some Reaper-Maschine2-Ableton-Push2 decision. The really first productive thing i was "proud of" that got finished last weekend was created with Reaper+reaKontrol+Maschine2 when i realized how Maschine 2 really works (and when i discovered retrigger). I don't like that the patterns can't be played to the end when switching (like with retrigger on scenes) or as with Ableton. BUT - The work with Track-Pattern-Scene in Maschine 2 + Reaper was great and productive. That's why i'm back thinking about Maschine MK3 instead of Push2. BUT - that's out of the scope of this topic.

Yes, in general the "Ableton" stuff can be done e.g. with Super8 (but limited to 8 pads?) and/or Playtime (but also limited regarding hardware device support) in Reaper. And now you know my interest in reaKontrol - try to extend it for the workflow in my head that's not fully there yet.
And yes, music can be made with every software and device but i'm just a little weird and picky - things have to feel right for me, that's the main part of my situation.

Whatever, back to reaKontrol: I'll try to take a look at the dumps the next days. If you are interested, PM about contact information (mail, upload possibility, maybe github?) because I don't think that sharing such "development data" like pcap dumps and logs within this forum topic is the best idea. Some logs/dumps *may* contain hardware, system and personal specific information i don't want to be spread over the internet.