Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-29-2010, 08:27 AM   #161
tweeksound
Human being with feelings

I do very large audio books and Auto Render is invaluable. These books can reach 18 hours and have 2-3 hundred tracks.
tweeksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:49 AM   #162
Joystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmorton View Post
Another Videogame Audio Designer here I agree, Autorender is ESSENTIAL for working with large quantities of files (I work with 30,000 to 100,000 audio files per project), infact I think the features of Autorender should be built in to Reaper as standard. Autorender has pretty much enabled me to remove Sound Forge from my workflow and work almost entirely within Reaper.

I also think being able to pass in render information via region names (as described above) would be a beneficial feature.

Thanks Shane!
I would like to have a full dialog box form with selections on how to save and render regions, with preset handling both for export options and export locations.

The later could be used when dealing with Language Localization on big projects when you want voices of different actors to pass from the same effects and end in different directories or with different filenames.

I have some more recommendations here if you have the time to read, Its good to hear more Video Game Sound designer chipping in this, we can make it a very nice tool in the end.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=63209

I'm afraid my feature request page is inactive but you can check out and see what I propose.

One extreme idea but cool for my workflow would be to be able to have properties in each region on how every region would be exported.

That way I could choose to export automatically and i.e. the first region would be exported in 44.1KHz 16bit stereo wav and the next in 32KHz 12bit mono.

This could be huge time saver especially when dealing with projects for iPhone (and other mobile platforms), the web and audio middleware like Fmod or Wwise who can playback any rate and bit depth and format.

That way we can make HUGE savings in hard disk and ram when playing back our content in-game and also make our life much - much easier on exporting in various format (and trying to remember all those export formats for each sound effect), not to mention a very happy Lead Developer and Lead Programmer because we will not take much of his resources and still have our pipeline ready for quick changes and exports.

If something like that could be implemented in Reaper Region-Export pipeline, it could make it THE TOP SEQUENCER for Game Audio.

I have big experience on the field, not only by beiing a pro 11 years now but also I'm a Game Audio Lecturer in SAE Institute, which is the biggest camp in my country and after so many classes of audio engineers I trained I can now clearly see, this is a killer feature for a Game Sound Designer.
Joystick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #163
Joystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
"Another Videogame Audio Designer here."

Can anybody explain shortly what is different when working as videogame audio designer? What would be a typical workflow, written step by step?
Recording or Sampled Libraries -> Importing
Then Hell brakes loose:
Usually we need many samples per action, like i.e. if you need to have a shotgun sound maybe 4-12 different sound variation for that action only, then each one different eq, pitch, stretching and each one is a region.

Now imagine a big session for all guns, usually it's like 100-500 regions with different plugins on each part and channels, subgrouping.

And the big thing is that you have to keep every different sound to each lowest sampling rate when exporting because that way you make the game engine lighter in sound and you can play more sounds without sacrificing resources.

Also other optimizations maybe needed, like different voices from different actors in order to localize the game (make different audio for each country) but you need them to pass from the same plugins.

Long story short, I always end up with 500-3000 regions per session, 30 sessions per project (without localization) and I need to export them asap in their own directories with different export/sampling rate, etc settings for each sound.

Before Reaper I was considering to change carrier (just kidding, I love my job) but now its the chance to make this real!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #164
Joystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeksound View Post
I've not done any audio for gaming but when I studied it in school it was BORING! Making the sounds can be fun and I have extensive experience in Foley. However, programing the sounds into the game with the types of software we used in school was much like web coding. This is a very simplified view and hopefully someone with real world experience will chime in.
Try Fmod which is the best, but if you want training resources then Wwise is the place to go,

My opinion, watch Wwise training videos in youtube and learn Fmod for a place in the industry.

No coding needed any more for the sound engineer ;-)
Old 12-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #165
Joystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeksound View Post
I do very large audio books and Auto Render is invaluable. These books can reach 18 hours and have 2-3 hundred tracks.
Very interesting! Do you have any projects out? I would like to hear that...
Old 12-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #166
Liquid Blasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joystick View Post
If something like that could be implemented in Reaper Region-Export pipeline, it could make it THE TOP SEQUENCER for Game Audio
And one another game audio guy from snowing russia sharing your opinion guys, it would be EXCELENT!
Lets make the Reaper as the best alternative replacing Slow[Pro] Tools in industry standarts!
Old 12-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #167
Joystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Blasted View Post
And one another game audio guy from snowing russia sharing your opinion guys, it would be EXCELENT!
Lets make the Reaper as the best alternative replacing Slow[Pro] Tools in industry standarts!
Thank you,

Also as I don't want to take Autorender's thread for my suggestions, please if you like lets continue our discussion here, I made afresh suggestion with schematics yesterday, Regions' Exporting can be huge and be one of Reaper's most advanced features.

Try visiting this thread I made for the feature:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=63209

Post with schematic is here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=23

Cheers and wishes for a very happy and creative new year!!!

Thanks again and sorry to all for posting here for another feature, but those two are very relative.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #168
Joystick

I also made a feature request here if somebody in interested:

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3154
Old 12-30-2010, 05:23 PM   #169
musicbynumbers

Just in case this has been missed and I know it's not super relative but it is helpful

I think the batch converter now has the option to add the items from the selection in the arrange which means it's possible to multi export now.

I would still prefer control and alt to work on multiple items but till then
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:16 AM   #170
Joystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Just in case this has been missed and I know it's not super relative but it is helpful

I think the batch converter now has the option to add the items from the selection in the arrange which means it's possible to multi export now.

I would still prefer control and alt to work on multiple items but till then
Pretty interesting, but it doesn't export with the effects of the track, the name of the region and most importantly, usually a sound effect is a combination of many sound mixed in various track formations, so this doesn't export that which is crucial for layered sound design.

But thanks for the tip :-)
Old 01-05-2011, 06:37 AM   #171
willmorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joystick View Post
If something like that could be implemented in Reaper Region-Export pipeline, it could make it THE TOP SEQUENCER for Game Audio.

I have big experience on the field, not only by beiing a pro 11 years now but also I'm a Game Audio Lecturer in SAE Institute, which is the biggest camp in my country and after so many classes of audio engineers I trained I can now clearly see, this is a killer feature for a Game Sound Designer.
Yes, I agree. Before I used to work with a combination of Sound Forge, Vegas, and custom tools our audio programmers wrote for me, but Reaper is now very close to being perfect for my needs (audio for large AAA game projects, each juggling 100,000+ files, 13 yrs experience in pro game audio). In fact, I've been almost able to almost remove Sound Forge from my workflow because of Reaper.

I know that Reaper seems to have a specific direction of development and seems to be geared to recording music more than anything, but perhaps it could work towards being the perfect game audio DAW - it's certainly an ever expanding niche that does not yet have that perfect tool.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #172
Joystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmorton View Post
Yes, I agree. Before I used to work with a combination of Sound Forge, Vegas, and custom tools our audio programmers wrote for me, but Reaper is now very close to being perfect for my needs (audio for large AAA game projects, each juggling 100,000+ files, 13 yrs experience in pro game audio). In fact, I've been almost able to almost remove Sound Forge from my workflow because of Reaper.

I know that Reaper seems to have a specific direction of development and seems to be geared to recording music more than anything, but perhaps it could work towards being the perfect game audio DAW - it's certainly an ever expanding niche that does not yet have that perfect tool.
Exactly my thoughts!

Nice to know you fellow sound designer, are you under a specific company or working freelance? I'm a little on freelancing and under Company in the same time, doing sound design full time - and many times, more than full time :-)

Those features would be also nice if they used for sound effects libraries development or musical instruments sample libraries, both need also the same optimization I think.

If you like the feature vote it here:

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3154

Cheers!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #173
willmorton

Same company now for almost over nine years, and was freelance a few years before that. Voted on your feature request
Old 01-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #174
thetriguy

Default Thanks!

Hey, I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to put Auto Render on here! I had to record my buddy's band the other night (just using an out from his board into my Micro BR). I recorded in MP3 mode, and just kept it running for four hours. After all was done, I was able to just create regions of all the songs and walk away, when I got back all the songs were rendered as separate mp3's, which I burned to some CD's for him. It saved me a TON of time, and I just wanted to say thanks!

Mark Stephens
thetriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #175
shane

Hi all. Sorry for not replying for so long, I wasn't receiving notifications of new posts.

The current version of Autorender is written in AutoHotKey, which is Windows only. I'm starting to work on a new version of Autorender that uses the Reaper API and should be OS independent. The new version will be part of the SWS extension.

This means that Autorender will be much more reliable and stable, more flexible concerning tagging options and formats, and available on Macs. The downside is that we're basically starting from scratch on functionality, and that the old version won't be getting much attention as far as updates go.

I'm working to get the baseline functionality working in the new format (batch rendering and tagging). Once that's done I'll look over these latest requests and see how feasible they would be to implement.

In the meantime, if there's something that you really need in the current version of Autorender please post a feature request to the Google code page:

http://code.google.com/p/autorender/issues/list

Thanks,
Shane
Old 01-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #176
beingmf

Hi Shane! This is some great great news! I never got Autorender to work (no matter what I tried – and I have no clue, why), and it would have saved me hours and hours of audiobook editing time (and failures ).
Thanks for your efforts, this is an invaluable tool for many of us!
beingmf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #177
nofish

Also wanted to say thanks for your work shane.

I use Autorender a lot (worked always fine for me) and integration in SWS extensions will be even nicer.

Looking forward to it.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #178
shane

Ok, the new baseline version of Autorender is now baked into SWS extensions. The old Autohotkey version will be discontinued. Try out the new version here:

http://code.google.com/p/sws-extension/downloads/list

All the features from the original haven't been restored yet, but the new version seems to be much more reliable and faster. Note that there's no render format selection during batch rendering now...it just uses the last used format so run a small dummy render if you need to change the output settings.

If you desperately need an old feature implemented feel free to add an issue to the SWS issue tracker:

http://code.google.com/p/sws-extension/issues/list
Old 02-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #179
tweeksound

Default PLEASE HELP!!

I need to use Auto-render but neither the old one or the new one is working for me! I've been spoiled and now denied! lol.

How do you use the new Auto-render?
I've downloaded and installed all that it asks. What are the steps after that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #180
shane

If you downloaded and installed the SWS Extensions beta from here and restarted Reaper, you should find Autorender in the Extensions menu. There are instructions for use in there...basically:

1. Make named regions for your project like usual.
2. Open Autorender/Edit Project Metadata and set your artist, album, render path, etc.
3. Start Autorender/Batch Render Regions.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #181
tweeksound

Thank you Shane! I'm getting closer.

Now when it renders the media all goes offline (green "offline" text on all media) and the render is rendering silence. I've turned off the "set media offline" options and I can't think of anything else.

The old fashioned autorender is sufficing for now but I would love to have the stability and reliability the SWS form promises. Thank you for all you do! Autorender is a life saver!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #182
shane

This has to be something in your general Reaper prefs. Can you send me your REAPER.ini file? %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\REAPER.ini if you happen to be on Win7...
Old 02-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #183
tweeksound

I'll look for that file. I'm on Win XP pro SP3.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #184
tweeksound

Here is my REAPER.ini configuration file...

Thanks!

http://www.TrueShare.com/DirectLink/...8NF4fnlM7WO4Im
Old 02-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #185
shane

Try the new version (Beta 11). The problem was relative media paths in the render files! Thanks for your help debugging, please let me know if it's still not working.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #186
tweeksound

Ha! Just remembered to check on this and only an hour after your post. We're linked with ESP!

I will check this out asap and report back.
Thank you Shane!!!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:15 AM   #187
lossfound

It's been a while since I had to use Autorender for anything and I just made use of it this morning. I really like the added simplicity of the SWS version. Thanks for continuing to develop this incredibly useful (and should-be-standard) tool.

One dumb question: Wasn't there an action / command for marker to region autoconversion in either REAPER or Autorender before? I seem to recall this but I can't find it anywhere obvious. Then again, I could be reliving my past life working in Forge.
lossfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #188
nofish

Maybe you think about that seperate marker2regions script ?

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=18238
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #189
shane

Yessir, I think you're after the script of Mr. Frog Jr.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #190
lossfound

I'm pretty sure that's not what I used to "convert" before as I have no memory of having to run a separate .ahk or .exe, but it does work. Thanks y'all.
lossfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #191
EvilDragon

I can't seem to get this to work in latest R4beta (latest SWS beta too). I have the dummy file (does it need to be named "dummy", too?), but I still get the error "Couldn't get render extension. Manually render a dummy file with the desired settings and run again." Not sure what's happening?
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:37 AM   #192
shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I can't seem to get this to work in latest R4beta (latest SWS beta too). I have the dummy file (does it need to be named "dummy", too?), but I still get the error "Couldn't get render extension. Manually render a dummy file with the desired settings and run again." Not sure what's happening?
Hmm, yes, something seems to be wrong, although after rendering a dummy file I just get the output directory popping up without any actual rendering happening. Some significant things must have changed under the hood, I'll have to take a look later this week. Thanks for the report.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:18 AM   #193
earlabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
same here.... too bad I found this today I used to work with the old situation but with the new pc hesitated to install autohotkey (which I don't use for anything else). Did do a big project last week with 16 regions that needed repeated rendering.... took me all day to do it correctly. aargh...

anyway... hope you can fix this. looks marvellous!
Old 06-20-2011, 12:10 PM   #194
shane

AFAIK, it should still work with the latest Reaper 3. Dunno if you can open your project in that version...
Old 07-02-2011, 03:16 AM   #195
shane

This issue was that the format of the render queue filenames changes in one of the recent Reaper v4 betas. The next SWS build should fix this (#30), but Autorender won't work for older versions of Reaper anymore.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #196
shane

New SWS build is up (#30) with Autorender that works for both Reaper 3.x and current 4 betas.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:32 AM   #197
magnus0re

Zombiebump !

This tool saved me some time today.

for future reference:
The autorender seems to render in the last format rendered to, so render a dummy with the normal render, and then you can autorender with that format.

awesome function, but lacks a little bit in documentation. ( or I'm too

I used it to convert a album long flac file to all the tracks in mp3 format.
magnus0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:23 AM   #198
mlprod

Waking this old thread since I just discovered this feature. However it doesnt seem to tag my mp3 files. Does anyone know if this is supposed to be broken i current Reaper 5.7x versions?
Old 03-26-2018, 12:03 PM   #199
mlprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
Waking this old thread since I just discovered this feature. However it doesnt seem to tag my mp3 files. Does anyone know if this is supposed to be broken i current Reaper 5.7x versions?
No one got this to work in recent versions of reaper?