Old 06-20-2019, 12:52 PM   #1
lilith93
Human being with feelings

Default Long Loading Time

I started with a new project today. When loading the project the initializing time of Reaper is quite long (~15 s). Normally projects load within 2-3 s. I deleted all tracks and all VSTs to get an empty project and the loading time is still long, compared to older projects with many tracks / VSTs. When starting Reaper from the terminal there's nothing suspicious:

Code:
./reaper 
jack: created client
jack: setting TIME_CRITICAL = 79
jack: activated client
I attached also the "empty" project file which loads slow in case anyone wants to take a look.

Thanks
Marco
Attached Files
File Type: rpp test.RPP (1.8 KB, 101 views)
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:54 PM   #2
silksow

I've noticed longer load times too since the last couple updates on Manjaro/Xfce.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:40 PM   #3
JamesPeters

That project took my system about 10 seconds to load.

I opened the project in a text editor and compared it to a blank project I saved for comparison. I noticed one setting that stood out: your grid spacing (which was set to be visible) was 1/1024 instead of something normal like 1/4, 1/8 (or "frame", etc.)

When I changed that to something normal (anything in the drop-down list) and saved it again, then re-opened it, it took 1 second to load.

I'm guessing that grid setting happened by accident somehow. If not...that's not a good grid setting. Reaper is expecting the CPU to "draw" all those lines in the arrange view (even if they're not visible to you).
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:39 AM   #4
lilith93

Hi James,

thanks for taking a look, I changed the setting and it's indeed fine again.
I looked at the file, but I didn't get the idea to compare it to a completely new Reaper file.

Yup, maybe Reaper starts a little bit slower, but this is in the order of maybe ~1 second. I didn't measure any starting times. It's still extremely fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
That project took my system about 10 seconds to load.

I opened the project in a text editor and compared it to a blank project I saved for comparison. I noticed one setting that stood out: your grid spacing (which was set to be visible) was 1/1024 instead of something normal like 1/4, 1/8 (or "frame", etc.)

When I changed that to something normal (anything in the drop-down list) and saved it again, then re-opened it, it took 1 second to load.

I'm guessing that grid setting happened by accident somehow. If not...that's not a good grid setting. Reaper is expecting the CPU to "draw" all those lines in the arrange view (even if they're not visible to you).
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:01 PM   #5
JamesPeters

It's easy to compare. Open both in separate text editor windows, put them side by side. If something is very different, it'll be apparent.

I didn't understand what the numbers for the "grid" element meant, but I did notice a very big difference compared to a blank test project I saved. For mine the numbers were small, but for yours one of the numbers (for the "grid") was like 0.012445224562475217452155114 So I opened it again and looked at the grid settings, and I saw it was 1/1024.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:24 PM   #6
Glennbo

Quote:
It's easy to compare. Open both in separate text editor windows, put them side by side. If something is very different, it'll be apparent
There are also free GUI based utility programs in your repository, like "kdiff" that lets you select multiple files and then it figures out where the differences are, highlights them, and optionally lets you merge things from one side to the other.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:23 PM   #7
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
There are also free GUI based utility programs in your repository, like "kdiff" that lets you select multiple files and then it figures out where the differences are, highlights them, and optionally lets you merge things from one side to the other.
Nice. That's going to come in handy.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:36 PM   #8
Glennbo

Quote:
Nice. That's going to come in handy.
I used to use a utility like that called WinMerge in Windows. When I switched to Linux I needed something to replace it, and kdiff was in my repository. It's pretty similar to WinMerge for the main stuff.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote