Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 05-26-2020, 08:32 AM   #81
Mercado_Negro

I know you're probably on bug hunting mode right now so FRs have to wait a few revisions but nonetheless I'd like to leave this here for later:

AREA SELECTION EDITING POINTS:

There are a few hot spots for editing the content within the Area Selection in Nuendo and I think REAPER would benefit quite a lot if they there implemented. Let's see...

Tilt Content: At the top left and right borders of the area selection there are two spots that you can use to TILT the content. Like this...

Compress content: Now, if you hold Option (or Alt on Windows) you can compress the content like this...

Scale content: At the top of the area (center) there is a spot for scaling the content like this...

Scale content vertically: And if you hold Shift you can trim the content like this...

Just food for thought...
Old 05-26-2020, 08:39 AM   #82
ovnis
Human being with feelings

So powerfull tool !
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:43 AM   #83
ferropop

Guys this is still happening though:

Tried every combination of options involving inertia on/off/suppressed.

This has always been a bit of a thing, but It markedly got worse in 6.11 >
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:53 AM   #84
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
if i understand schwa correctly, it looks like we'll have that option soon.
As long as we still have BOTH options though It's very useful to have reaper do both as you might be copying over an area that has items in the spaces that you don't want in the newly moved/copied area
Old 05-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #85
ferropop

Back to the good stuff:

Area Selection: Duplicating Envelope Changes Tension of Source

1. Notice tension before duplication is -1.0.
2. Duplication is run, tension of SOURCE is now -0.860. Oddly tension of PASTE is correct at -1.0.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:56 AM   #86
musicbynumbers

Mercado.

If we eventually get all of those things you've just shown natively then that will be the icing on the cake for sure!

Especially if it can also work on midi and CCs too!

For sound design, I'm also wanting the stretching we now have with "AS" to also allow for "handles that when adjusted they will curve the linear stretch to allow more stretching say at the start and less at the end or vice versa!

That would be amazing!
Old 05-26-2020, 08:57 AM   #87
musicbynumbers

As for the dividers.

I actually like them, just a bit thinner and they do serve a purpose

Again, options are the reaper way so if these were part of the theme editor that would be awesome.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #88
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
Divider lines between tracks seems me inefficient and unsightly.
It would be nice if the thickness of border of the area selection could be the same than that of the marquee selection.
I would get rid of the divider lines completely and only draw them at the very edges of the items.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:15 AM   #89
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
I would get rid of the divider lines completely and only draw them at the very edges of the items.
+1 Agreed. I would actually choose to not have them at all. The highlight already indicates the selection and is an established standard way of doing it. You don't need to hammer it home visually by putting dividers around everything. I would be ok with a thin, thin mind you, line around the borders of the entire selection. But I think in general they just obfuscate instead of help.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:38 AM   #90
operator

+1 for changing the devider lines (thinner, only edges, get rid of them completely, etc.). At the moment it doesn´t look as clean as it could.

Thanks Devs for this feature... as I changed from another DAW a couple months ago I really missed this feature... Time-Selection did the job somehow too... but this is much better. :-) THANKS
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:32 AM   #91
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
BTW ED, I think you can remove "Plugin naming redundancy!" from your sig :P
Ha, nice spot. Totally forgot about that
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:35 AM   #92
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by operator View Post
+1 for changing the devider lines (thinner, only edges, get rid of them completely, etc.). At the moment it doesn´t look as clean as it could.
+1 get rid
Old 05-26-2020, 10:41 AM   #93
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Just food for thought...
This would be amazing
Old 05-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #94
Kenny Gioia

Quote:

Just food for thought...
Wouldn't that make more sense as a part of Automation Items?
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #95
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
The highlight already indicates the selection and is an established standard way of doing it.
I see those dividers helpful for clear selection and adjusting of selected areas across the tracks. I can quickly marquee an area covering several tracks and then remove from the selection the tracks/envelopes I don't want while keeping the rest. Really handy feature.

Without the dividers, one could still hover over the given tracks they'd want to remove, but there would not be clear visual indication of all those areas really being separate as they are in this regard. And the related mouse modifier action is Remove one area selection. To me that also suggests that there is not one bigger selected area anyway, but rather individual area selections per track, but created in one marquee action? Highlighting the per track area when related modifier is pressed could be another way to remove dividers, but make the individual choices still visible?

To be truly individual per track area selection, individual horizontal adjustment per track would make sense too. But I understood there's a restriction to that? I mean in a case when a selection covering several tracks has been made.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:00 AM   #96
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Not in my opinion. Would be a pitty to see this limited to AI and not to envelopes with no AI. In area selection is much more powerful and versatil and AI's inherit it anyway.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:09 AM   #97
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
Not in my opinion. Would be a pitty to see this limited to AI and not to envelopes with no AI. In area selection is much more powerful and versatil and AI's inherit it anyway.
Imagine this:

1. Create Area Selection
2. Turn Area Selection into Automation item(s)
3. Go crazy!!!
Old 05-26-2020, 11:09 AM   #98
BirdBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
I see those dividers helpful for clear selection and adjusting of selected areas across the tracks. I can quickly marquee an area covering several tracks and then remove from the selection the tracks/envelopes I don't want while keeping the rest. Really handy feature.

Without the dividers, one could still hover over the given tracks they'd want to remove, but there would not be clear visual indication of all those areas really being separate as they are in this regard.
There is no good reason for the user to perceive every area seperate by default as they move/delete/copy together by default. Being able to tweak them seperately is a much rarer usecase and it makes sense that the information would only be presented when the user needs it rather than showing it all the time.

Holding a modifier and clicking/dragging on tracks within areas to exclude tracks in general will be much easier to operate compared to looking for an edge hotspot and dragging it, and is consistent with general standards for how selection is handled in operating systems and various other software.
And as a benefit you don't have to put dividers everywhere.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:12 AM   #99
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdBird View Post
Holding a modifier and clicking/dragging on tracks within areas to exclude tracks in general will be much easier to operate compared to looking for an edge hotspot and dragging it, and is consistent with general standards for how selection is handled in operating systems and various other software.
And as a benefit you don't have to put dividers everywhere.
+1 Agreed. This would be much more consistent with expected behavior/general standards.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:14 AM   #100
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Automation items can have that, no problem; but what if you didn't use Automation Items? Let's have it, it won't hurt

Quote:

Without the dividers, one could still hover over the given tracks they'd want to remove, but there would not be clear visual indication of all those areas really being separate as they are in this regard. And the related mouse modifier action is Remove one area selection. To me that also suggests that there is not one bigger selected area anyway, but rather individual area selections per track, but created in one marquee action? Highlighting the per track area when related modifier is pressed could be another way to remove dividers, but make the individual choices still visible?

To be truly individual per track area selection, individual horizontal adjustment per track would make sense too. But I understood there's a restriction to that? I mean in a case when a selection covering several tracks has been made.
There's no need to consider them as separate areas using dividers. You're selecting a whole area, it doesn't matter if it's just one track or several. Visually you don't need the software to tell you several tracks or lanes were covered with a divider.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:21 AM   #101
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Yeah I mean... Studio One:

Yup, indeed, amazing implementation of Area Selection in S1.
Cockos now introduced AS in Reaper (my god, so amazing !) and i am confident they will develop it further towards S1 level.

You rock Cockos !
Old 05-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #102
xpander

It seems not everybody has actually tried the Remove one area selection mouse modifier yet to understand what I was saying?

I do understand how people liken one marquee selection as one individual area selection and how it actually works like that in some regards. But not in every way.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:33 AM   #103
deeb

Quote:
It seems not everybody has actually tried the Remove one area selection mouse modifier yet to understand what I was saying?

I do understand how people liken one marquee selection as one individual area selection and how it actually works like that in some regards. But not in every way.
Yes but the borders still are redundant , if I understand what you mean. One colour is enough to define area. No need of border with different colour.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:34 AM   #104
Mercado_Negro

Quote:

I have tried it, yes. And when the modifier was held, the X in the cursor told me everything I needed to know: you're about to remove that track or lane from the area. I didn't need the dividers to make that decision.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:42 AM   #105
xpander

Quote:
I have tried it, yes. And when the modifier was held, the X in the cursor told me everything I needed to know: you're about to remove that track or lane from the area. I didn't need the dividers to make that decision.
But there's the problem. We are supposed to think of a single marqueed area as a single entity (no dividers), yet when we use e.g this remove area action, we are supposed to switch our thinking to acknowledging the fact that only single track areas are removed...and that without any visual clue it is going to happen?*) I can remember that too, but will it be that easy for everybody?

edit:
*) Yes, the X is there and surely helps showing what you are about to do. But with Remove all area selections action it's still only there by the mouse cursor. I don't suggest having X over every track then, just saying we can't have everything clear with this type of indication.

Last edited by xpander; 05-26-2020 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:49 AM   #106
WyattRice

Wow.
This is very exciting. Like Mercado_Negro had mentioned, I know this is supposed to be about bugs, but I'll put this out anyway.
I use pre fx envelopes on tracks, and not separate envelope lanes.
It would be incredible if we could area select multitrack envelopes, and have envelopes move at the same time.
Thread from 2011. https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....143#post752143
Here's a old mockup I did years ago when area selection was mentioned.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:54 AM   #107
BirdBird

Quote:
But there's the problem. We are supposed to think of a single marqueed area as a single entity (no dividers), yet when we use e.g this remove area action, we are supposed to switch our thinking to acknowledging the fact that only single track areas are removed...and that without any visual clue it is going to happen? I can remember that too, but will it be that easy for everybody?
Yes they will be fine. Holding a modifier and clicking on things to remove them from selection is a design standard. Better way to give the user feedback could be to highlight the area they are hovering over when they are holding the modifier to exclude tracks from the area rather than showing dividers all the time.

Last edited by BirdBird; 05-26-2020 at 11:59 AM.
BirdBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:00 PM   #108
Reno.thestraws

A Nice addition to Area selection would be TRANSIENT SNAPPING!

draggin, touching a transient, note (if options note as transient, etc) -> Some kind of snapping happen (just like grid snap)

earth start spinning the other way

edit : not just for area, TRANSIENT SNAPPING would be a true killer option

Last edited by Reno.thestraws; 05-26-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Reno.thestraws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:05 PM   #109
ferropop

Hoping Area Selection doesn't introduce a whole whack of new Melodyne lost edit scenarios...going in on testing this rn.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:15 PM   #110
amagalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
One more question regarding visual feedback:

When moving envelopes they hide overlapping destination, could that be done with items?

But on the other hand it is useful if one wants to align the new items to the old ones... I like it as it is.. Perhaps the items that are moved or the ones that already are there could be more fainted so that they are more distinguishable.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:45 PM   #111
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Automation items can have that, no problem; but what if you didn't use Automation Items? Let's have it, it won't hurt
But with that logic, why not have ALL of the features that Automation Items have without the need for Automation Items?

Old 05-26-2020, 12:55 PM   #112
Vagelis

Yeap why not, i agree, then an action to create AIs in AS would be nice for the task to use them as containers for rythmic gating , looping them to paint faster shapes, saving their presets with different shapes. AIs are def still useful

Last edited by Vagelis; 05-26-2020 at 01:02 PM.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:15 PM   #113
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
But with that logic, why not have ALL of the features that Automation Items have without the need for Automation Items?

Ok, I can't argue with that

While that is more powerful than what Nuendo offers I have to say that having those spots right there in the area without the need of summoning a window with options is more productive and efficient.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:28 PM   #114
JoostJanssensDS

Quote:

This right here. The only thing still missing for heavy midi work. This without the need for automation items. Now that CC envelopes finally function like automation lanes, having this for both automation without AIs and having it on CCs natively (without third party scripts) would be a dream.
JoostJanssensDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:46 PM   #115
vitalker

Quote:
What if you wanna tweak more than one parameter simultaneously?
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:00 PM   #116
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
What if you wanna tweak more than one parameter simultaneously?
Automation Items is perfect for that. Pool them and adjust them together.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #117
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Ok, I can't argue with that

While that is more powerful than what Nuendo offers I have to say that having those spots right there in the area without the need of summoning a window with options is more productive and efficient.
Yeah. I'm really not trying to say that they can't both be in both places.

But what you did and what I showed in my picture, should either be in both places or just one together.

Having them apart seems weird to me. Anywhoo
Old 05-26-2020, 02:34 PM   #118
vitalker

Quote:
Automation Items is perfect for that. Pool them and adjust them together.
Pooled means same, so it won't be possible to apply it to different automation items.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:45 PM   #119
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Yeah. I'm really not trying to say that they can't both be in both places.

But what you did and what I showed in my picture, should either be in both places or just one together.

Having them apart seems weird to me. Anywhoo
Maybe Cockos could simplify things and instead of doing it in a window it could be presented right there in the area/AI? It would be more intuitive and practical for sure.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:32 PM   #120
_Stevie_

Yup, definitely. Count me in here.