Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 05-21-2020, 02:58 AM   #41
akademie
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancit View Post
@devs: As much as I like to not have these silly VST, VST3 etc. in front I am not sure if at least a differentiation between FX and instruments would be helpful... i.e. first all FX alphabetically then the instruments or other way round...
Or VSTi's in italic font to directly visually differentiate them in mixed list?
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:00 AM   #42
AtmanActive

Question for everyone: is it possible to make Reaper immune to VST3 crashing, like it is for VST2 (plug-ins always bridged)?
AtmanActive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:00 AM   #43
EvilDragon

This is why you have a separate Instruments section in the left side pane... TBH I honestly never spend time with "All Plugins" selected, it's either Instruments, or going into individual categories per FX type...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:22 AM   #44
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
for some reason, when spliting the automation items, it loses the attack which is completely unexpected behaviour.

please check this vid to hear the difference between the splitted and unsplitted automation item:

you can download the project to check: https://srv-file18.gofile.io/downloa...g%20attack.rar
i created 2 channels, one with automation items splitted and the others unsplitted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4pj...ature=youtu.be

btw- maybe this has something to do with the problem that I never hear the attack of the first note/kick/snare if the cursor was right on it before hitting the play button(?) "tiny fade in" is not ticked
Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Hi Reflected,
I am pretty sure that it is not because of splitting "automation item" but splitting the actual audio item, so that every slice has now fade-in applied. Check their properties (F2) or zoom in closelly to see the tiny fade-in.
it is not because of the audio

you can see in the video that before I splitted the automation item, the attack was clear as expected, after splitting the attack is gone even if the shape stay the same.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:33 AM   #45
ovnis

Do you know àn astuce to increase thé size of letters inside thé Fx Window ?
ovnis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:59 AM   #46
YuriOl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
Do you know àn astuce to increase thé size of letters inside thé Fx Window ?
+1 A very necessary feature
YuriOl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:23 AM   #47
dupont

I noticed the play cursor in the midi editor is jerky when I move the mouse in this dev.
El Capitan
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:40 AM   #48
akademie

Quote:
it is not because of the audio

you can see in the video that before I splitted the automation item, the attack was clear as expected, after splitting the attack is gone even if the shape stay the same.
Can you share the project?
(link you posted is not working)
Old 05-21-2020, 04:46 AM   #49
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
for some reason, when spliting the automation items, it loses the attack which is completely unexpected behaviour.
There is a "transition time" setting in the automation item properties that defaults to 12 ms. This can be changed per-automation item and the global default can be changed in Preferences > Editing Behavior > Automation.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:55 AM   #50
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
There is a "transition time" setting in the automation item properties that defaults to 12 ms. This can be changed per-automation item and the global default can be changed in Preferences > Editing Behavior > Automation.
Thanks for info, schwa
Old 05-21-2020, 05:46 AM   #51
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont View Post
I noticed the play cursor in the midi editor is jerky when I move the mouse in this dev.
El Capitan
Does it do this in the main arrangement window too or just the midi editor?
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:36 AM   #52
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Kinda really depends. There are some plugins that work better as VST3 than VST2 (Melodyne, Halion 6, Surge...) There are a number of steps forward in there, too (more than one MIDI port per plugin, better output handling...)

Either way if any new developer ever shows up it's gonna be VST3. Also note that VST3 is truly open source and cross-platform, and VST2 isn't. This makes it practically the only realistically viable option if one ever considers Linux...

Not all is so grim.

I agree with Justin that they don't need to cover every combination.
Right. So just the option you need. Got it.

Make whatever argument you want. VST3 is not as stable as VST2. So when doing a multi-type search it would be nice to filter VST3 when both types are available.

Last edited by Klangfarben; 05-21-2020 at 06:44 AM.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:19 AM   #53
_Stevie_

Quote:
Kinda really depends. There are some plugins that work better as VST3 than VST2 (Melodyne, Halion 6, Surge...) There are a number of steps forward in there, too (more than one MIDI port per plugin, better output handling...)
So that's the reason why one of the leading companies like Native Instruments hasn't switched to VST3?
It might be true for a couple of plugins. But that can't be used as a general statement.
Quote:
Either way if any new developer ever shows up it's gonna be VST3. Also note that VST3 is truly open source and cross-platform, and VST2 isn't. This makes it practically the only realistically viable option if one ever considers Linux...
VST3 enables musicians to finally make the switch to Linux, said no one ever.
Quote:
Either way if any new developer ever shows up it's gonna be VST3.
Well, maybe you should also mention that the VST2 SDK was abandonned and there's literally no choice for new devs.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:30 AM   #54
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
VST3 is not as stable as VST2.
Again, this really really depends. Some devs did nail VST3 and it's just as stable as VST2. The plugin framework (VST3 vs VST2) itself is not what makes the plugin crash, it's what devs do with it and how they understand (or not understand) how it's supposed to work.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 05-21-2020 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:47 AM   #55
vitalker

Quote:
Again, this really really depends. Some devs did nail VST3 and it's just as stable as VST2. The plugin framework (VST3 vs VST2) itself is not what makes the plugin crash, it's what devs do with it and how they understand (or not understand) how it's supposed to work.
So this thing should be optional(enabled/disabled + VST2/VST3) and perhaps per plugin.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:53 AM   #56
Funkybot

Per plugin? That's what the # is for. Otherwise, now we're just making the case for yanking the code entirely and letting users decide on a per-plugin basis, which we already can do.

Let's keep it simple:

1. Some users will want to see both types (default behavior)
2. Some users will prefer VST3 plugins over VST2 (new option)
3. Some users will prefer VST2 over VST3 (requested option)

I hope Justin sees some of the support for #3 and agrees it's not too much trouble to add, but otherwise, hey, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

We don't need to turn this into a debate about which formats are better or why. Just stick to the 3 use-cases above. Frankly, Justin said he wasn't interested in adding #3, and while I disagree and hope he changes his mind, the browser is much better today than it was last week and I'll take that as a huge win.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:57 AM   #57
Phazma

Quote:
From my simplistic point of view:
I have multiple plugins from multiple manufacturers in VST2 and VST3 format.
If a plugin crashes it is usually always a VST3. Most of the time VST2 gives no problem.
So as a rule of thumb I always use VST2 when available.
Only when some plugin misses a feature in VST2 that I need and has it in VST3 I use the latter.
Hence why I, like many others, would appreciate a VST2 priority filter.
If Justin has no interest in doing it I am fine as well. There are workarounds for it and there are bigger issues to solve.
If I don't get the filter I want I won't envy other people for getting theirs. Something for someone is always better than nothing for anyone.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:59 AM   #58
Klangfarben

Quote:
Or the fact that VST3 makes the developers jump through a lot more hoops, has a lot more pitfalls and is a general PITA for them. Perhaps maybe why NI decided to not port their plugins to a spec that was introduced over a decade ago? Along with a host of other developers. There's a reason for that. Most developers will not abandon VST 2.4 until it is dead and buried.

Rather than continue the argument, let's just say there are a lot of users (many who have already commented here) and many developers that avoid VST3 when possible. So again, it would be a welcome option to have the ability to filter them. We aren't talking about every combination under the sun here so let's not act like it.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:01 AM   #59
EvilDragon

NI didn't decide they won't port things to VST3, btw
Old 05-21-2020, 10:57 AM   #60
lilith93

Quote:
Originally Posted by strachupl View Post

+ FX browser: reposition search filter to top of window

Thats what I mentioned. Thank you. I think it is more logic now. The path between first found entry/plugin and search box is yet shorter, very good.
That's great. It's much better now, because everytime I started typing before I was not in the right window and executed some short cuts.
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:31 AM   #61
dupont

Quote:
El Capitan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideosound View Post
Does it do this in the main arrangement window too or just the midi editor?
Play head is jerky both in arrangement and midi editor only if mouse cursor is inside midi editor.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:43 PM   #62
Ideosound

Quote:
Play head is jerky both in arrangement and midi editor only if mouse cursor is inside midi editor.
Interesting, I reported a similar problem with the playhead slowing down and almost freezing, when you move the mouse near the playhead when it is running. However, it is related to a certain preference setting as detailed below- this was reported for v6.10+dev0511 - May 11 2020. Not sure if they are connected but worth mentioning:

I've noticed a graphics issue on mac when you have throttled mouse events (wheel/swipe/move) disabled (no ticks on). Using metal BTW in Mojave. Whilst scrolling and moving around projects is a lot smoother and improved with mouse events set like this, if you move your mouse near the play cursor which is moving, you get MAJOR lag on the UI and playhead. You can pretty much stop the playback temporarily. This isn't normal behaviour? Switch back to enabled throttled mouse events (ticked) this stops happening (but the smoother scrolling of a project is lost).

Throttled mouse events (wheel/swipe/move) TICKED

Throttled mouse events (wheel/swipe/move) NOT TICKED
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:34 PM   #63
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
finally it clicks
thank you so much!
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:19 AM   #64
amagalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
v6.10+dev0520 - May 20 2020
  • + ReaScript: update Track/TakeFX_AddByName() to allow inserting FXADD:, allow inserting FX at position in chain
Could this be documented in the help file? And an example code please?

Last edited by amagalma; 05-22-2020 at 03:24 AM.
amagalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:01 AM   #65
dupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideosound View Post
Interesting, I reported a similar problem with the playhead slowing down and almost freezing, when you move the mouse near the playhead when it is running. However, it is related to a certain preference setting as detailed below- this was reported for v6.10+dev0511 - May 11 2020. Not sure if they are connected but worth mentioning:

I've noticed a graphics issue on mac when you have throttled mouse events (wheel/swipe/move) disabled (no ticks on). Using metal BTW in Mojave. Whilst scrolling and moving around projects is a lot smoother and improved with mouse events set like this, if you move your mouse near the play cursor which is moving, you get MAJOR lag on the UI and playhead. You can pretty much stop the playback temporarily. This isn't normal behaviour? Switch back to enabled throttled mouse events (ticked) this stops happening (but the smoother scrolling of a project is lost).

Throttled mouse events (wheel/swipe/move) TICKED

Throttled mouse events (wheel/swipe/move) NOT TICKED
Correct, Throttled mouse events (wheel/swipe/move) TICKED solves the issue.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:44 AM   #66
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
Could this be documented in the help file? And an example code please?
If you run action 'ReaScript: Open ReaScript documentation (html)...' in current +dev/rc it's there already in TrackFX_AddByName() description:

Quote:
If instantiate is <= -1000, it is used for the insertion position (-1000 is first item in chain, -1001 is second, etc). fxname can have prefix to specify type: VST3:,VST2:,VST:,AU:,JS:, or DX:, or FXADD: which adds selected items from the currently-open FX browser, FXADD:2 to limit to 2 FX added, or FXADD:2e to only succeed if exactly 2 FX are selected. Returns -1 on failure or the new position in chain on success.
edit:
I used +dev0521a which has this but not v6.11rc1, so I guess it'll come back in next release cycle.

Last edited by nofish; 05-22-2020 at 10:52 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:05 PM   #67
amagalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
If you run action 'ReaScript: Open ReaScript documentation (html)...' in current +dev/rc it's there already in TrackFX_AddByName() description:

edit:
I used +dev0521a which has this but not v6.11rc1, so I guess it'll come back in next release cycle.

Oh, I thought it was preserved in the next dev builds and I did open the reascript documentation but nothing was written there. That is why I asked how is it used and reported the lack of documentation. My bad!
Old 06-04-2020, 12:44 PM   #68
Nostrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
Also, question about FXADD: parameter, what the purpose of it? It works, but you still need to open fx browser for specific track somehow and to select effects manually, as there's no API for that, so it all defeats FXADD: parameter purpose or i don't understand something.
I've been using it for a script which adds a loudness measuring effect at the beginning and the end of the fx chain. It is definitely useful if you need to insert an effect at a specific spot in the chain
Nostrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:09 PM   #69
Nostrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
ok, but you need to open browser manually and then run script..not the most convenient way, but i guess.. it's not my business. Thanks.
I am using add by name. It works for the exact effect I want and I can assign it to a hotkey. It's very convenient.

track = reaper.GetSelectedTrack(0, 0)
fxadd = reaper.TrackFX_AddByName(track, "AB_LM",0 ,0)
if fxadd == -1 then
reaper.TrackFX_AddByName(track, "VST3:AB_LM",0 ,-1000)
reaper.TrackFX_AddByName(track, "VST3:AB_LM",0 ,1)
fxcount = reaper.TrackFX_GetCount( track )
reaper.TrackFX_Show(track, fxcount-1, 3 )

else
while fxadd ~= -1 do
fxadd = reaper.TrackFX_AddByName(track, "AB_LM",0 ,0)
reaper.TrackFX_Delete(track, fxadd)
end
end
Nostrap is offline   Reply With Quote