Old 08-06-2018, 02:48 AM   #1
sai'ke
Human being with feelings

Default Track Wiring / Hackey Machines (Buzz inspired routing UI)

Hello all,

I will start this one off similarly as my other thread for the tracker. I don't know if anyone has migrated from Buzz or Psycle to REAPER, but if so, then this one might be for you. It's a relatively simple GUI plugin that allows adding and routing machines in a buzz/psycle-like workflow. Positions of your machines in the UI are stored in your RPP files.

Reapack compatible repository here: https://github.com/JoepVanlier/Hackey-Machines with a full description of how to use it.

Installation guide
(1. Install SWS)
2. Add repository https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jo...ster/index.xml to ReaPack.
3. Using Reapack, install "Hackey Machines Loader" and "Hackey Machines: An interface plugin for REAPER 5.x ..."
(4. Go to show action list and bind a key to OpenMachineView.lua)
5. When you open it for the first time, press F10 to customize your plugin loadout tree. These are the ones you will see in your outer mouse button list.
6. Press F1 for help

Highlight signal chain

Importing templates.

Manipulation of volume, panning, name, solo/mute status, to/from channel.

Deleting machines

Day theme

Note that in order to add machines from this interface, you have to make a list of machines you want available. You can edit this list by pressing F10 (I tested this for windows, but am not sure whether it works on Mac as well). This opens notepad with the file that needs customization. This file will not be overwritten by updates to Hackey Machines.

I'm still actively developing it, so if you run into a problem with it or have a feature request don't hesitate to ask. Please note that it is still relatively early in development, so save often!

Happy Routin'!

Last edited by sai'ke; 08-12-2018 at 12:23 PM.
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
sai'ke

- Added option to hide machines (F3 toggles show all/show only non-hidden).
- Tweaked visuals a bit.
- Tweaked auto-alignment algorithm a bit.
- Fixed bug that caused issues when loading same project as the one being worked on.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:24 PM   #3
Lunar Ladder

Just testing this over here, it's a fab beginning for an environment of this style in Reaper!

Obviously it's not very handy for large projects (trying it out with some scoring Kontakt templates, and pheeew), but it's not even meant for that, and instead it shines for making inspirational and more compact custom environments with tracks/effects laid out in a preferred way and waiting to be patched.

Some suggestions:

- When clicking on a bus/device, selecting that channel (i.e. making that channel active in the Reaper console, so that it can be followed up with scripts that target the selected channel) would be nifty. No need to hunt in the console if working in the Buzz-like view at that moment.

- Also, it would rock if it was possible to double click (or modifier-click) on a box representing a bus, and it didn't open the GUI of the first FX plugin on that channel, but actually another viewport done in this same style, representing the routing on that channel. Pretty much like this https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=209768 hah, maybe just add a call to MPL's script on the relevant channel for that one?

For the Buzz aesthetic aficionados, and for consistency's sake of course, it would still rock if this ^ was available as a part of this same project, all happening in a unified manner using this Buzz style GUI.

- Being able to add track templates to the module menu (for reacalling whole buses and routing configurations instead of just single devices) would be cool.

- Ultimately, for a self-contained vibe in this environment, a way to call Hackey Trackey (and alternatively the standard piano roll editor) for the currently selected track / device, select/insert/rearrange MIDI items on that track, and edit them right then and there... Would wrap this up as a full-fledged Buzz frontend for Reaper . I know, I know, it's kind of a tall order, hahh. And mostly fueled by pure nostalgia.

But man, with Hackey, you are already on such a firm path, and set the bar high to begin with
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:09 PM   #4
sai'ke

Oooh those are all great ideas! Thanks!
I've added each of them to my github to-do list

The first one I tackled today, along with multi-select. Multi-delete and Hide for groups is still not implemented, but will be.

The bus thing I will probably stick under a modifier, but calling MPL's script (at least for now) is probably a good idea for this. Maybe I can mess with the theming a bit to keep it in a more consistent style.

Also, just for my curiosity, what did the big project look like? A giant hairball?
Old 08-07-2018, 06:57 PM   #5
Lunar Ladder

Thanks! Great to hear . And hah, about the hairball, a "ball of stuff" was more like it, as the solver for the module locations and wires just couldn't handle that load, so it didn't get to the point where the wires are actually showing. Reaper screen refresh dropped to about one single frame per 3.3 seconds, so pressing the enter key for moving the modules didn't quite do anything either (on an i7-3770K system), and the view was showing this:

https://i.imgur.com/eRoEgfP.png

It didn't crash, and everything went back to normal when closing the window.

But yeah, don't worry about it, as showing and managing hundreds of tracks (close to a thousand) at once on a Buzz-like visual display is not a real world use case at all. I mentioned it as an absurd stress test, and the concept works for intended types of projects very well.
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:14 AM   #6
Ivannn Bennnettt

Thank you much for sharing!
It's good routing UI but looks a bit messy yet (less "beauty" more convenience if your goal to use it as instrument)
Menu with fx doesn't show my one (it's your I guess)
Why you do repository on each project?)
And what the heck is going on with your title man?) You've got a few name on one project I mean on forum and git and file itself)
Sorry for criticism) Cheers!)
Ivannn Bennnettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:34 AM   #7
sai'ke

Thanks for the positive reactions guys

There were some pretty major changes, and I had a little fight with Reapack over renaming my files

Because of this, I would highly recommend uninstalling the old version, then reinstalling the machine view plugin. There are now two things that need to be installed. Hackey Machines and Hackey Machines Loader. The Loader (OpenMachineView) is the one you want to bind to a key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Ladder View Post
- Also, it would rock if it was possible to double click (or modifier-click) on a box representing a bus, and it didn't open the GUI of the first FX plugin on that channel, but actually another viewport done in this same style, representing the routing on that channel. Pretty much like this https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=209768 hah, maybe just add a call to MPL's script on the relevant channel for that one?
For now, I added a call to MPL's script when you do Ctrl + double click on a machine (for this it needs to be installed!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
1. Highlight the wires from the selection to the master when hovering over wires or machines.

Quote:
2. Alt+click for disconnecting wires and deleting machines (maybe alt+double-click for that?)
Middle click is for disconnecting machines and deleting stuff.
Quote:
3. Not sure what this context menu is, but I'd prefer it was just the normal plugin list I would get when right-clicking a track's fx button.
Yeah, me too, but I don't know of any good way to achieve this.
Quote:
4. I frequently use Esc key to toggle close all floating windows in Reaper, but this window prevents it from working if it's open.
Added.
Quote:
5. Zoom should center on the mouse.
Fixed.
Quote:
6. Right/middle click to drag the view around would be really handy, esp combined with request #5.
Middle mouse drags.
Quote:
7. Should behave like any other window in regards to dragging it to screen edges for various Windows behaviors.
I don't know whether this is possible with the API, but I don't know how to do it.
Quote:
8. Open-window action should be a toggle and Also, it should remember it's position very well when re-opening.
Added. Because of this, I would highly recommend uninstalling first, then reinstalling the machine view plugin. There are now two things that need to be installed. Hackey Machines and Hackey Machines Loader. The Loader is the one you want to bind to a key.
Quote:
9. In/out "nodes" on machines, for making connections (in addition to shift-click)
What do you mean? To assign different channels? Channels can be changed when you click with the outer mouse button on a connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozman View Post
The only issue I had was that it doesn't remember being docked.
Should be fixed now
Old 08-12-2018, 11:13 AM   #8
IXix

Wow.

Wow.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:39 AM   #9
Sarasota_FOH

Just stumbled on this one and love it -- Thanks for all the hard work, much appreciated!!!
Sarasota_FOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:52 AM   #10
Reflected

This script is amazing
If you could only create the same script for vst routings inside individual track it would be something i would donate for since i will probably use it
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 10:04 AM   #11
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
This script is amazing
If you could only create the same script for vst routings inside individual track it would be something i would donate for since i will probably use it
Unfortunately, it's not in the cards at this point.

I'm curious though, what's wrong with mpl_wiredchain?

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=209768
Old 04-27-2021, 11:21 AM   #12
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
Unfortunately, it's not in the cards at this point.
if you think that, it is actually possible to make something good.
I think it worth it
for the shake or may I say sai'ke of humanity and love, please take this under your control

I just love your GUI style and everything you do
I have no doubt that if you will create it, it will be the most popular post in the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
I'm curious though, what's wrong with mpl_wiredchain?
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=209768
See MPL's quote
Reaper's limitations ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
EDIT:17.05.2020 I left it as is for now, the 4th prototype still have bad behaviour because of too much limitations of REAPER flexible routing. Near impossible to implement it without external tools. So I`ll probably stick it as is and return to it in the future...
so I'm not sure if it's even possible :/
maybe you can be the answer.
Old 04-28-2021, 12:09 AM   #13
UknownSource

WOW Really awesome script!

+1 if you can do this for inside track routings.

that's the only thing i miss in reaper so I will actually use it and leave my current DAW.
UknownSource is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:04 AM   #14
X-Raym

Quote:
vst routings inside individual

Maybe you need a dedicated tool for that if it breaks some reaper limitations,

like those VST chainer/wrapper plugins which can host VSTs,
some don't have graph based GUI, but some have

like Plogue Bidule, Kushview Element, or DDMF Plugin Chainer (not tested).
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:47 AM   #15
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
Maybe you need a dedicated tool for that if it breaks some reaper limitations,

like those VST chainer/wrapper plugins which can host VSTs,
some don't have graph based GUI, but some have

like Plogue Bidule, Kushview Element, or DDMF Plugin Chainer (not tested).
trust me I tried them all and few more.
including mux, freestyle, midi lab... etc

bugs, crashes, slowdowns, unorganized vst lists, no delay compensation, very slow progression... you name it, it's there. (each has its own kind of issues)

there is nothing like internal host/container.

sai'ke's machine GUI can be just perfect for this kind of thing and it keeps the consistency of the usage inside reaper.
I prefer to invest money on something like this.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:17 AM   #16
UknownSource

Quote:
trust me I tried them all and few more.
including mux, freestyle, midi lab... etc

bugs, crashes, slowdowns, unorganized vst lists, no delay compensation, very slow progression... you name it, it's there. (each has its own kind of issues)

there is nothing like internal host/container.

sai'ke's machine GUI can be just perfect for this kind of thing and it keeps the consistency of the usage inside reaper.
I prefer to invest money on something like this.
I agree with all of the above 100%. I had the same experience with external vst hosters.
if sai'ke can create something like this inside Reaper, I will be so happy!
UknownSource is online now   Reply With Quote