Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 06-18-2020, 07:08 AM   #1
ericzang
Human being with feelings

Default [mostly answered in other thread] Live Configs sticky info still current? Opinions?

[Edit: Sorry, I see there is already a recent thread answering this general question. I'll be looking into Gig Performer at some point to see if I can integrate it with Reaper via audio & midi loopbacks to satisfy my below recording approach as well as further flexibility provided by Reaper.]

I'm starting to look into Live Configs, with my use generally being as a personal or small group performance system, allowing for spontaneous changes of multiple FX, with live looping (probably via plugins).

Pipeline Audio's blog post https://pipelineaudio.net/the-reaper...board-project/ looks relevant for me. He replies to a comment that his info is somewhat old already (from 2018), and mentions lbx stripper in that context (I suppose for its snapshot and parameter linking integration?).

Also, as he recommends in the blog, I will look into Gig Performer as an alternative.

I have Ableton, but prefer Reaper's open architecture and native OSC ability. I'm looking into Usine also, but Reaper's native ability to linearly record not only the audio but all of the automation (triggered by midi and osc) appears to be an advantage for later editing/remixing of a performance. (I think I found a work around for Usine in that regard by using ReaStreams to Reaper for recording audio and midi data, but OSC may be more tedious if my workaround idea for it can work).

Anyhow, just curious of the current view of those already with some experience with Reaper in this realm. Thanks!

Last edited by ericzang; 06-18-2020 at 07:29 AM.
ericzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:41 AM   #2
mschnell

- LiveConfigs is very powerful and rather easy to use but does not allow for "spill over" when changing the patch, unless you don't use the track mute, which might result in much higher CPU load than necessary.
- LBXStripper might be great but unusable due to nonexisting documentation
- Combining multiple JSFXes (based on Midi CC table) is very powerful, but really hard to set up when many patches are to be switched.
- all this might be hard to combine with "background tracks". In fact I suppose for background tracks a second Reaper instance should be started.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 06-18-2020 at 10:04 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:15 PM   #3
ericzang

Good to know, thanks for your insight!
ericzang is offline   Reply With Quote