Old 11-21-2016, 11:38 AM   #201
insub
Human being with feelings

I like this voting method better than last month's. Great job DaveKeehl!
insub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:45 AM   #202
insub

Made a post in the General Discussion with a link to this thread. Hope the Mod's don't get upset about it.
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...97#post1759897
Old 11-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #203
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Is it possible to temporarily append "Vote Now!" or similar to the subject line of this thread just so anyone unaware knows we are in the voting stage? It's possible that some just see the title and don't click not realizing we are in the voting phase. Just a thought.
sure.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:08 PM   #204
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolilol1975 View Post
OK sent !

Why aren't you participating this month, btw ?
I had started mixing it but I got bored of the song I think it's also more fair if the admin doesn't participate
Old 11-21-2016, 12:44 PM   #205
thunderbroom

Default Dynamic "squish" - an observation, not a "rant"

Though I know the point is obvious, it's amazing to see how completely "squished" my mix sounds after first rendering it to mp3 on my end, transferring it, then having it uploaded again for the competition. In listening back solely to my mp3 mix, both in the studio and in the car, the submission posted sounds so much more lifeless within the submitted mixes than the actual mix. I'm sure this is a similar realization for many of the contributors.

I wonder if there'd be a method, going forward, to using a file transfer method that would be far more lossless so that the mixes submitted would be given an all around fairer shake? Depending on my clients, I either submit mixes via WeTransfer or Box.net, as they are free, smooth, and offer the best quality file transfer that I'e used so far.

This wasn't meant as a complaint or "rant". Simply an observation. And I'd throw my hat into the ring to help out to make something like this happen next go around if anyone is interested.
thunderbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #206
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbroom View Post
I wonder if there'd be a method, going forward, to using a file transfer method that would be far more lossless so that the mixes submitted would be given an all around fairer shake?
Unless the MP3 was re-encoded or hosted where such occurs as part of the transfer, there should be no difference. My expectation/hope was that if we nailed the LUFs properly (which I did: 14.2 LUFS/0.5 peak) there would be no need to "re-MP3" an existing MP3. I'm not a conversion snob at all, but I do shy away from re-encoding MP3s just as a general IMHO/YMMV aside.

For awareness, I have not listened to the voting mixes yet so I can't say if mine changed or not.

EDIT: OK, I compared mine to what I uploaded, I can't get them aligned enough to try to null but regardless, swapping between the two, I'm not hearing enough differences for it to change how people would vote for it IMHO.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-21-2016 at 01:13 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:20 PM   #207
thunderbroom

Quote:
Unless the MP3 was re-encoded or hosted where such occurs as part of the transfer, there should be no difference. My expectation/hope was that if we nailed the LUFs properly (which I did: 14.2 LUFS/0.5 peak) there would be no need to "re-MP3" an existing MP3. I'm not a conversion snob at all, but I do shy away from re-encoding MP3s just as a general IMHO/YMMV aside.

For awareness, I have not listened to the voting mixes yet so I can't say if mine changed or not.

EDIT: OK, I compared mine to what I uploaded, I can't get them aligned enough to try to null but regardless, swapping between the two, I'm not hearing enough differences for it to change how people would vote for it IMHO.
Fair enough. It might just be my overly sensitive ears, and ridiculously anal-retentive standards I set for myself that made me offer this comment. Overall, though, I was happy to hear such truly different mixes coming from the same audio files. Really cool - looking forward to hearing your feedback once you've had a chance to listen.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:20 PM   #208
insub

I don't know what Google Drive does, but on Kompoz.com regardless what file you upload it will stream an MP3 at 192 kbps. Honestly, I kind of thought mine sounded a little more mushy as well, but I did not A/B them. Maybe it just sounded different since I was also going back and forth between the different submissions.

Also, I have a compensation EQ for my headphones in the Monitoring FX in Reaper which is not on for my browser. So, I originally had considered that the difference.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #209
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by insub View Post
I don't know what Google Drive does, but on Kompoz.com
I pulled my original in and A/B'd it a number times, I couldn't tell the difference in any way that I think matters. Mine was already a little mushy (compared to my usual tastes) to fit the LUFs requirement. There are other mix related things I want to talk about but can't really until the voting is complete and we start a post mortem thread or something. Some interesting mixes in the lot I must say.

I did notice I must have a brother from another mother mixing in this contest because one of the mixes I at first thought was mine and even A/Bing them was almost scarily close.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:28 PM   #210
richie43

Quote:
I did notice I must have a brother from another mother mixing in this contest because one of the mixes I at first thought was mine and even A/Bing them was almost scarily close.
Ha ha, I am so curious now......
Old 11-21-2016, 01:37 PM   #211
insub

I vote #12: Most Creative Mix

I was blown away by that one, and it really caught me off-gaurd. Excellent remix, though kind of outside the bounds of what I expect from a mixing contest. I'm working on the current Indaba Pensado's Place mix competition, and I think that sort of mix is strictly forbidden as well as recording any new tracks or use of any samples. I'm not saying we should, necessarily, implement those restrictions here.

I am really interested to see how that mix was created using only Reaper FX and editing. Mix 12 was something I'd expect to hear in the monthly remix competitions in the Maschine forum.

I guess that begs the question: Should we define any rules concerning creative producing/arrangement?

I'm kind of glad we don't already, because then I wouldn't get to see this really cool project file. But, I was kind of not sure how to vote about that one. I'm super impressed by the production, but it was not my favorite "mix" as far as strictly "mixing" goes. Almost in a league of its own apart from the rest.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:38 PM   #212
insub

Listening to the other mixes I wish I had done some more creative panning automation.

You guys know how to keep a brother in-check.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:20 PM   #213
karbomusic

Quote:

I guess that begs the question: Should we define any rules concerning creative producing/arrangement?
Just an idea... For next time, maybe trade in one of the top three choices and vote for our top two overall mixes, then use that choice we just freed up for most creative mix. That way, a mix could potentially win both - with the added challenge of living up to both, or it might only win one because that is what they were going for.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #214
James HE

Quote:
Just an idea... For next time, maybe trade in one of the top three choices and vote for our top two overall mixes, then use that choice we just freed up for most creative mix. That way, a mix could potentially win both - with the added challenge of living up to both, or they might win just one because that is what they were going for.
I like that!

Listening through I think it's really cool how tonally varied all the mixes are. I can feel my own tonal "signature" in my mix compared to the others. I think it would be interesting after a few more rounds of these if we'd start to be able to guess what mix is who's as we get more familiar.

There is a particular mix I like a lot, but there is just one (to me) glaring and jarring flaw that just takes it out of contention for me (and some minor things as well). (will reveal afterward I guess)
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:53 PM   #215
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
Listening through I think it's really cool how tonally varied all the mixes are. I can feel my own tonal "signature" in my mix compared to the others.
I sort of had the same thought.

Quote:
There is a particular mix I like a lot, but there is just one (to me) glaring and jarring flaw that just takes it out of contention for me (and some minor things as well). (will reveal afterward I guess)
The bolded part is probably me.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:02 PM   #216
insub

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
I felt this way about a bunch of the submissions. Really good overall mixes, especially the instrumental portion, but then the vocals would just have something about them that pushed that mix down the ranking for me.

For me, personally, if there are vocals in music then they need to sit right in the mix first before all else. Not necessarily up front or whatnot. But, if something is distracting of the vocal, like processing, etc., then that mix will move down in the ranking. Just my opinion, of course!
Old 11-21-2016, 07:15 PM   #217
SmajjL

Do you shuffle the submissions before you close it?
Because if people post - hey, I just submitted - and then you reply - hey! we now have 12, well then eum..
Just saying, if the submissions gets their number by the time it was given.
Anyway, thanks for doing this DaveKeehl, learning alot from Everyone and not just from/by the winner.
Free hugs to all!

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:52 AM   #218
lolilol1975

Quote:
That said, the one's I selected as my favorites really stood out as truest to what the song seemed to be aiming for. Tough decision in the end, but I'd be curious to see the results, and to see if it were possible to deliver the results to the artist to get some solid critical feedback. Fun all around. Looking forward to December's contest!
That's what has been missing from the last contest. No feedback, which sucks.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:32 AM   #219
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hey Dave, any chance you could put my first mix in?

Heh heh, I'm just kidding, but I realize now my first mix is much better.

EDIT: I've picked out my favorite, but most of them are pretty good, so it wasn't easy. I'm going to wait to vote in case there are any more.
Even if I wanted I don't have your old mix anymore
Old 11-22-2016, 05:37 AM   #220
DaveKeehl

Quote:
I like this voting method better than last month's. Great job DaveKeehl!
thanks
Old 11-22-2016, 05:37 AM   #221
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Do you shuffle the submissions before you close it?
Because if people post - hey, I just submitted - and then you reply - hey! we now have 12, well then eum..
Just saying, if the submissions gets their number by the time it was given.
Anyway, thanks for doing this DaveKeehl, learning alot from Everyone and not just from/by the winner.
Free hugs to all!
I shuffled the ones that were submitted on time
Old 11-22-2016, 05:38 AM   #222
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Though I know the point is obvious, it's amazing to see how completely "squished" my mix sounds after first rendering it to mp3 on my end, transferring it, then having it uploaded again for the competition. In listening back solely to my mp3 mix, both in the studio and in the car, the submission posted sounds so much more lifeless within the submitted mixes than the actual mix. I'm sure this is a similar realization for many of the contributors.

I wonder if there'd be a method, going forward, to using a file transfer method that would be far more lossless so that the mixes submitted would be given an all around fairer shake? Depending on my clients, I either submit mixes via WeTransfer or Box.net, as they are free, smooth, and offer the best quality file transfer that I'e used so far.

This wasn't meant as a complaint or "rant". Simply an observation. And I'd throw my hat into the ring to help out to make something like this happen next go around if anyone is interested.
next month you'll required to send a wav file. I wrote it in the first post a few days ago.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:39 AM   #223
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Made a post in the General Discussion with a link to this thread. Hope the Mod's don't get upset about it.
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...97#post1759897
haha let's hope not
Old 11-22-2016, 07:23 AM   #224
SmajjL

SmajjL throws DaveKeehl up in the air, wiiie!! good stuff.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:38 PM   #225
thunderbroom

Default Too much of a good thing!

Gotta say one of those just added tracks added last minute made me have to reconfigure my thinking. Might have to rethink my original vote now.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:05 PM   #226
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
Even if I wanted I don't have your old mix anymore
Heh heh, I'll send it to you.

Yeah I really screwed up, my first mix is far better.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:57 PM   #227
DaveKeehl

Quote:
SmajjL throws DaveKeehl up in the air, wiiie!! good stuff.
hahaha yeaaah
Old 11-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #228
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Gotta say one of those just added tracks added last minute made me have to reconfigure my thinking. Might have to rethink my original vote now.
mhh did you already vote? because this time I created the survey also thinking to avoid double votes
Old 11-22-2016, 08:30 PM   #229
SmajjL

For the future..
We should not have the opportunity to quick Review the Competition results, compare and ("be inspired") and then, send in a late submission.
WoW I am Hardcore strict.. cyber police haha hopefully next time, if anyone agree, surely you guys do? say yes..
The days we have is plenty! dudes & dudettes.
I still love you, don't worry, I come in peace.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:27 AM   #230
insub

They were warned that their late submission would reduce their opportunity to get votes. There were 13 submissions when I voted, so if it came in after that, then they can't get a vote from me.

I like the way Dave handled it. I don't think it's totally important for the anonymity to be strict. If the late submission turns out to be the best and they don't get crowned due to timing, then that's OK. Because, they still shared their project file with the rest of us which is why I'm here. To learn from others.

Maybe if, in the future, we can talk some vendors into donating prizes then we can worry about it being a little stricter about the rules. But, until then it should probably stay flexible.

Just my opinion, of course.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:48 AM   #231
richie43

Quote:
They were warned that their late submission would reduce their opportunity to get votes. There were 13 submissions when I voted, so if it came in after that, then they can't get a vote from me.

I like the way Dave handled it. I don't think it's totally important for the anonymity to be strict. If the late submission turns out to be the best and they don't get crowned due to timing, then that's OK. Because, they still shared their project file with the rest of us which is why I'm here. To learn from others.

Maybe if, in the future, we can talk some vendors into donating prizes then we can worry about it being a little stricter about the rules. But, until then it should probably stay flexible.

Just my opinion, of course.
Totally agree!!
Old 11-23-2016, 08:57 AM   #232
SmajjL

Sure, my only 'issue is the word, "Contest" though.
You make sense to me so I am afraid I have to agree with you also, wich sucks..
Thank you very much for your Solid opinion.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #233
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Sure, my only 'issue is the word, "Contest" though.
You make sense to me so I am afraid I have to agree with you also, wich sucks..
Thank you very much for your Solid opinion.
what's wrong with the word contest if I may ask?
Old 11-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #234
insub

con·test
NOUN
1. An event in which people compete for supremacy in a sport, activity, or particular quality

Definition doesn't state that it's requisite to have a prize.

As kids, we'd play King-of-the-Hill. Just standing on top was quite the prize in itself. I think it's nice just to get some recognition, even from a few peers, that you have any skill at all.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:08 AM   #235
DaveKeehl

Quote:
con·test
NOUN
1. An event in which people compete for supremacy in a sport, activity, or particular quality

Definition doesn't state that it's requisite to have a prize.

As kids, we'd play King-of-the-Hill. Just standing on top was quite the prize in itself. I think it's nice just to get some recognition, even from a few peers, that you have any skill at all.
That's what I think. Many people during the summer that were disappointed because there was no "prize". It seems like it isn't worth it if there isn't anything cool to earn. I think this is sad.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:50 PM   #236
martinmadero

puedo mandar mi mezcla? aunque sea tarde, lei el post ayer!
martinmadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:23 PM   #237
insub

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinmadero View Post
puedo mandar mi mezcla? aunque sea tarde, lei el post ayer!
For English speakers, I ran this through Google Translate:

MArtinMadero, "Can I send my mix? even if it is late, I read the post yesterday!"
Old 11-23-2016, 01:50 PM   #238
BJORG

A deadline is a deadline, so I wouldn't make to much exceptions, also to avoid to much work for Dave with adding everyday some laties. But everybody is free to share their mixes and projects here direct in this thread, so it is maybe outside the contest, but come on, it's just for fun.
BJORG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:38 PM   #239
thunderbroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
mhh did you already vote? because this time I created the survey also thinking to avoid double votes
Voted once...and often (just kidding).
Old 11-23-2016, 02:53 PM   #240
martinmadero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJORG View Post
A deadline is a deadline, so I wouldn't make to much exceptions, also to avoid to much work for Dave with adding everyday some laties. But everybody is free to share their mixes and projects here direct in this thread, so it is maybe outside the contest, but come on, it's just for fun.
Quote:
For English speakers, I ran this through Google Translate:

MArtinMadero, "Can I send my mix? even if it is late, I read the post yesterday!"
Thanks!!
well, how i put the mix in? where do i upload??
martinmadero is offline   Reply With Quote