Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 09-12-2019, 10:25 PM   #1
cremationritual
Human being with feelings

Default RME UFX 2, 1 sample of round trip latency!!!!

Yeah, you read right. I just got a RME fireface UFX 2 and its advertised at 32 samples of RTL. I just did a RTL test going through my distressor, a DBX EQ and a PULTEC eqp-1a and I had to do the test 3 times because I thought I was doing something wrong. But no, I was right all three times. ONE sample of RTL. I know $2300 gets you the best converters money can buy. But ONE sample? I didnt think that was even possible. My MOTU 828es had 714 samples of RTL and that in itself isnt that bad. But ONE? Ill take it!!!

If you run a hybrid setup and use hardware save your pennies kids.

Last edited by cremationritual; 09-12-2019 at 10:39 PM.
cremationritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:17 PM   #2
ringing phone

What are you saying? Can you dim it down a shade? What did you mean by save your pennies if you run a hybrid setup?
Old 09-12-2019, 11:44 PM   #3
cremationritual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringing phone View Post
What are you saying? Can you dim it down a shade? What did you mean by save your pennies if you run a hybrid setup?
Meaning, if you run a hybrid setup and use outboard hardware effects with your DAW, and if you save up $2300, you have access to a interface (RME fireface UFX 2) with near zero (1 sample) latency. Which will make running hardware effects VERY easy with such good DA/AD converters.
Make sense?
Old 09-12-2019, 11:50 PM   #4
ringing phone

Ah yeah I get it now. I have the Fireface UFX II as well...and 6 or 7 hardware units. Great stuff the RME. Running it with a Ferrofish Pulse 16 for more i/o.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:25 AM   #5
cremationritual

Quote:
Ah yeah I get it now. I have the Fireface UFX II as well...and 6 or 7 hardware units. Great stuff the RME. Running it with a Ferrofish Pulse 16 for more i/o.
Do me a favor (and yourself). Do a round trip latency test and let me know what yours is. I wonder if its just that my parts are jiving right in my unit or if its all UFX 2 that have these amazing results. Ill post a vid below on how to test it. Unless you know already then disregard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19HnMme0-2U&t=590s
Old 09-13-2019, 12:30 AM   #6
cremationritual

Quote:
The Ferofish has only 2 samples of latency. Dammit! Now youve made me have to spend another $1000 haha
Old 09-13-2019, 12:44 AM   #7
cremationritual

Quote:
haha I just bought the Ferofish.. $999??? Thats a damn good price
Old 09-13-2019, 12:54 AM   #8
ringing phone

Dude! The Ferrofish Pulse 16 is German made...just like the RME...stellar, stellar stuff. You'll love it.

Unfortunately, I can't run any tests. I'm overseas for work until September 2020!!

I literally can't wait to get back home and get things going again.

If you're interested, here's a track I recorded last year:

https://soundcloud.com/user-18690862...etter-you-2019
Old 09-13-2019, 01:11 AM   #9
zeekat

That'd be like 0.02 ms (at 44.1kHz)? That doesn't sound right at all.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:14 AM   #10
cremationritual

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
That'd be like 0.02 ms (at 44.1kHz)? That doesn't sound right at all.
Im at 48000 and yes, I know. But its true. I know how to run the test. I did it three times. Look at the pic. Thats one sample man. Believe it And btw. The Ferofish converter dude and I are talking about above advertises 2 samples of latency and that converter is less than half the price of the RME. So yes, its very possible. All my parts are just jiving right I guess. And just to confirm. I compensated for 1 sample in the recording preferences and ran the test again and it lined up perfectly.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:19 AM   #11
cremationritual

Quote:
Dude! The Ferrofish Pulse 16 is German made...just like the RME...stellar, stellar stuff. You'll love it.

Unfortunately, I can't run any tests. I'm overseas for work until September 2020!!

I literally can't wait to get back home and get things going again.

If you're interested, here's a track I recorded last year:

https://soundcloud.com/user-18690862...etter-you-2019
"Dim it down a shade".. haha Im totally stealing that.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:07 AM   #12
karbomusic

I have the UFX, it won't do 1 sample true round trip latency. What buffer size did you choose?
Old 09-13-2019, 10:12 AM   #13
cremationritual

Default 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I have the UFX, it won't do 1 sample true round trip latency. What buffer size did you choose?
buffer is 64
Old 09-13-2019, 10:30 AM   #14
karbomusic

That's 63 more samples than your picture aka buffer size = latency before anything else is added. Make sense?
Old 09-13-2019, 10:49 AM   #15
cremationritual

Quote:
Quote:
That's 63 more samples than your picture aka buffer size = latency before anything else is added. Make sense?
watch this..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19HnMme0-2U&t=590s

so this doesnt work for testing latency? Im confused now.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #16
karbomusic

ReaInsert auto-adjusts for latency so showing only 1 sample off is probably about right, the best true loopback method is to use a physical cable...

Track 1: Some audio signal such as a single square wave sample. Use a send to send this out of the SC on let's say "Output 3".

Run a cable from physical Output 3 to physical Input 4.

Track 2: Set to record Input 4.

Press record so that Track 1 sends it's audio out and Track 2 receives it. Then measure that delta/latency between the recorded and original. Also... to get all the latency you probably want to turn off the option in preferences that auto-adjusts for driver reported latency, otherwise you'll only see the unreported latency which on UFX (in my setup anyway) is in 50ish samples range.

^That said, once you've calculated full latency, turn driver reported back on, do the test again, any latency that remains is unreported and you can offset that in record/playback offest settings.

Welcome to the forum btw.

Last edited by karbomusic; 09-13-2019 at 11:02 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:58 AM   #17
Fabian

And here is a JSFX to help in doing loob-back testing https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=63318
Old 09-13-2019, 02:54 PM   #18
SonicAxiom

I think we're comparing apples and oranges here. Sadly, I doubt there's a converter currently which is capable of achieving 1 sample RTL. 64/44100 = 1.45 ms one way and x2 = 2.9 ms RTL if you did the test as explained in my video. 2.9 ms is still a very usable value and if you don't experience any glitches at that buffer size while you're working with your projects you can consider yourself very lucky.

I'm using the Ferrofish A32 Dante connected to the AIC128-D Dante accelerator PCIe card (Intel i5 Win7 x64) and I usually settle on 256 or even 512 samples to avoid any audio glitches especially with lots of channels being mixed and a heavy mastering chain. 512 samples gives me an accumulated RTL of 25.2 ms. Surprisingly, the 11 ms for one way are still usable when playing and monitoring VST instruments. Latency is no issue for me generally because I can provide near-zero latency cue mixes via a digital mixing console receiving a split of all recording signals directly from the Ferrofish and playing VSTi is the only occasion where latency may come into play due to live-monitoring through Reaper.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:23 PM   #19
cremationritual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
I think we're comparing apples and oranges here. Sadly, I doubt there's a converter currently which is capable of achieving 1 sample RTL. 64/44100 = 1.45 ms one way and x2 = 2.9 ms RTL if you did the test as explained in my video. 2.9 ms is still a very usable value and if you don't experience any glitches at that buffer size while you're working with your projects you can consider yourself very lucky.

I'm using the Ferrofish A32 Dante connected to the AIC128-D Dante accelerator PCIe card (Intel i5 Win7 x64) and I usually settle on 256 or even 512 samples to avoid any audio glitches especially with lots of channels being mixed and a heavy mastering chain. 512 samples gives me an accumulated RTL of 25.2 ms. Surprisingly, the 11 ms for one way are still usable when playing and monitoring VST instruments. Latency is no issue for me generally because I can provide near-zero latency cue mixes via a digital mixing console receiving a split of all recording signals directly from the Ferrofish and playing VSTi is the only occasion where latency may come into play due to live-monitoring through Reaper.

Im a dumbass. I had the "use reported latency" on. I got real excited for a second. Now I just feel dumb.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:17 AM   #20
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremationritual View Post
Im a dumbass. I had the "use reported latency" on. I got real excited for a second. Now I just feel dumb.
Still good news though: your interface reports latency so well Reaper corrects with merely single sample error. That's a really nice driver.