Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-16-2019, 01:25 PM   #1
poetnprophet
Human being with feelings

Default How to use a USB mic with Motu interface

Hey everyone, I have a USB mic I want to use for a talkback. I'm not sure how to get it visible inside the motu routing so I can use it inside reaper. Inside Windows it's set as the default input and activity can be seen there. I can't see any input activity inside the motu routing when the mic is on and active so I have no idea what I'm doing to get this routed. I also tried to set a track input in Reaper to loopback, that doesn't work either. is this that Asio thing preventing me from inputing both from Windows and in Reaper?
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #2
domzy

i assume you are using the motu asio driver? if so, you are not going to be able to achieve what you want - you can possibly make it sort of work if you use asio4all but ideally you'll want to get a mic that you can plug directly into your motu interface, so XLR.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:16 PM   #3
serr

Understand that a USB mic is a microphone with a little USB audio interface built into it. You connect to it just like you connect to any other interface. To connect to multiple interfaces at once, make an aggregate device with your OS audio utility (ASIO or Audio MIDI Setup for Macs) first. Connect to the aggregate device in Reaper.

There's a 2nd equally important step. Connecting the sample rate clock between devices.
The mic will not have any inputs... so make it the master and make the MOTU sync to it.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:27 PM   #4
poetnprophet

Nope, that's too much work, haha. I don't want to jeopardize what's already working, I just like the mic because it's got some noise cancelling stuffs that make it good for talkback, but it was just a thought. No wonder I couldn't get it to work, at least it feels good to know it's not my fault this time!

thanks for the replies!
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
Nope, that's too much work, haha. I don't want to jeopardize what's already working, I just like the mic because it's got some noise cancelling stuffs that make it good for talkback, but it was just a thought. No wonder I couldn't get it to work, at least it feels good to know it's not my fault this time!

thanks for the replies!
The controls are right there and this is a thing. You might just want to try it and learn a couple more basics about your audio tools.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:06 PM   #6
SonicAxiom

SynchronousAudioRouter (SAR, https://github.com/eiz/SynchronousAu...es/tag/v0.13.1) allows you to combine several audio devices into one on Windows. Unlike ASIO4all, it doesn't add lateny to the devices involved.

Install the SAR driver, then launch Reaper, pick ASIO as the type, choose SAR as the audio device and then click on ASIO config. First, pick your MOTU as the basic audio hardware ASIO device in SAR. All of it's inputs and outputs will be available to Reaper automatically. To add the ins and/or outs of another audio device (like your USB mic) or another audio app, click on ADD, choose RECORD as the type (for a new input), set channel count to 1 and label it "USB mic". Click OK to quit the dialog. While Reaper is still running, open the Window's system audio config and make the newly created "USB mic" input (and not the original one of the mic!) the system's standard audio device.

Now, close and relaunch Reaper, open Reaper audio device prefs again and include the newly created USB mic input into the enabled range of inputs together with those of the MOTU. Also select the desired range of outputs you wanna use in Reaper. You might have to quit and restart Reaper once again to make the changes become active.

EDIT: I changed the above directions because it turns out that the SAR driver is only active and doing its routing while Reaper (configured to use it as its audio device) is running. As soon as you close Reaper, SAR routing stops.

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 09-17-2019 at 02:51 PM.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:35 PM   #7
mschnell

SAR seems like a pure ASIO router, which supposedly is a good thing for the task of aggregating (ASIO) Audio devices in Windows.
Version 0.xx seems like still Alpha.

Bus your messages seems to sounds like definitively working.
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote