Old 08-21-2018, 11:06 AM   #41
Finnish
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Ok, so we're on the right track, pun intended

I'll get to work and make it so that Channel Left/right select Previous/Next track and I'll add a new action MapTrackToWidgets.

That should take care of the selecting problems.

The rest is more about adding features, function keys, selected track number, etc.

Let's solve the select issues first
Good stuff!!!
Old 08-21-2018, 12:39 PM   #42
Geoff Waddington

New build is up: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/33037/CSI%20pre%20alpha.zip

Added primitive support for X Touch One, which likely means primitive support for Faderport, AlphaTrack, etc. is probably somewhat there too.

Use the MCU.rst file
Use the XTouchOne.axt file.

Select a track using the mouse.

Now use the Bank and Channel to navigate, or select a track in Reaper using the mouse.

Known minor bugs -- ii falls off the end to the right, probably something to do with the last track not currently selecting properly.

Check it out and see if it works !
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:01 PM   #43
Finnish

Somehow this is not working for me, "Surfaces" section loses every time that configuration that I've made. Hmmmm..?
Old 08-22-2018, 01:58 AM   #44
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish View Post

Somehow this is not working for me, "Surfaces" section loses every time that configuration that I've made. Hmmmm..?
You on Windows 8.x ?

There have been some problems with it, try explicitly running Reaper as administrator.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:29 AM   #45
Finnish

Quote:
You on Windows 8.x ?

There have been some problems with it, try explicitly running Reaper as administrator.
Win 10 64bit
Old 08-22-2018, 05:19 AM   #46
_Stevie_

Quote:
Win 10 64bit
Yep, having this, too. When you click on Test1 again, it should appear again. However, when making changes in the config window, I always have to restart Reaper in order to get CSI working again.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:18 AM   #47
Ideosound

Will this work on mac also or not? I'm following this thread with a keen eye. When the lock fader to selected track works properly I will likely invest. Is the scub playhead function working ok can anyone confirm?
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:05 AM   #48
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideosound View Post
Will this work on mac also or not? I'm following this thread with a keen eye. When the lock fader to selected track works properly I will likely invest. Is the scub playhead function working ok can anyone confirm?
Yes, there is a Mac version.

Fader follows selected track is working.

Scrub is not implemented yet.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:18 AM   #49
jesus4c

Default What am I possibly doing wrong??

I must be doing something wrong, but I just can't get my brand new X-Touch One to do anything!!

I've connected it to a USB port on my laptop, powered it up, gone into the operation modes and selected Reaper, opened Reaper and gone into Preferences and added Mackie Control Universal as the Control Surface mode, but the X-Touch One and my laptop/Reaper just don't seem to be talking to each other.

The LCD display is illuminated, there's a rE in the assignment window and the shuttle knob is lit up, but nothing else. The transport buttons aren't doing anything, the shuttle knob ain't shuttling and nothing else is illuminated or happening.

The only other thing is that if I push the fader up, it automatically drops down again after a second or two.

I have tried a different USB cable as well.

Is there something I'm missing?
jesus4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:34 AM   #50
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus4c View Post
I must be doing something wrong, but I just can't get my brand new X-Touch One to do anything!!

I've connected it to a USB port on my laptop, powered it up, gone into the operation modes and selected Reaper, opened Reaper and gone into Preferences and added Mackie Control Universal as the Control Surface mode, but the X-Touch One and my laptop/Reaper just don't seem to be talking to each other.

The LCD display is illuminated, there's a rE in the assignment window and the shuttle knob is lit up, but nothing else. The transport buttons aren't doing anything, the shuttle knob ain't shuttling and nothing else is illuminated or happening.

The only other thing is that if I push the fader up, it automatically drops down again after a second or two.

I have tried a different USB cable as well.

Is there something I'm missing?
Have you disabled the X-Touch One midi ports in Preferences->Audio->Midi devices ?
Old 08-23-2018, 06:55 AM   #51
Ideosound

Quote:
Yes, there is a Mac version.

Fader follows selected track is working.

Scrub is not implemented yet.
Ok great well sounds very promising. I use the scrub (via the pan encoder on my Faderport) a lot, so once this is added I will be set!
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #52
jesus4c

Quote:
Have you disabled the X-Touch One midi ports in Preferences->Audio->Midi devices ?
Just checked - yes X-Touch One midi ports ARE disabled.

I've also confirmed that the USB ports on my computer are all working.

Not sure if this means anything, but in images on the box, the words 'Choir 36R' are displayed in the LCD display. Mine just has a flat horizontal line.

I should be seeing something going on somewhere, shouldn't I?

All a bit frustrating, as I returned a borrowed Avid Artist Control yesterday and purchased the X-Touch One as (among other reasons) it seemed simply a case of plugging in and using it. I think I'm jinxed!!

Last edited by jesus4c; 08-23-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:13 PM   #53
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Just checked - yes X-Touch One midi ports ARE disabled.

I've also confirmed that the USB ports on my computer are all working.

Not sure if this means anything, but in images on the box, the words 'Choir 36R' are displayed in the LCD display. Mine just has a flat horizontal line.

I should be seeing something going on somewhere, shouldn't I?(
Have you tried turning midi in monitor on ?

Quote:
All a bit frustrating, as I returned a borrowed Avid Artist Control yesterday and purchased the X-Touch One as (among other reasons) it seemed simply a case of plugging in and using it. ;( I think I'm jinxed!!
Hmmm... I also wrote the Reaper support for EuCon, what was the problem with the Artist Control ?

I use one here in EuCon mode, and also in Mackie mode with CSI, no problems.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:31 PM   #54
jesus4c

Quote:
Have you tried turning midi in monitor on ?
Please excuse my ignorance, but whereabouts is that setting? I haven't really started using MIDI yet in my setup, but I have my keyboard connected (and it works fine) through an Edirol UM1-SX USB interface.

Quote:
Hmmm... I also wrote the Reaper support for EuCon, what was the problem with the Artist Control ?

I use one here in EuCon mode, and also in Mackie mode with CSI, no problems.
I had to return the Artist Control anyway - which seemed to work quite OK, but I had this weird problem where all my drop-down lists in Reaper simply didn't drop down. I tried multiple re-installs and uninstalls of everything, but it only came good once I totally uninstalled EuControl and took away the Artist Control. In that regard, it's all good now.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #55
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Please excuse my ignorance, but whereabouts is that setting? I haven't really started using MIDI yet in my setup, but I have my keyboard connected (and it works fine) through an Edirol UM1-SX USB interface.
Sorry about that, checked back a few posts, you said you had MCU installed, I thought you were using CSI, you might want download, read the readme, and install CSI just to verify that midi in is working: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/33037/CSI%20pre%20alpha.zip

There is a set of primitive templates for the X-Touch One included - we only started working on the X-Touch One a few days ago

It also has an added feature -- it follows track selection.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:38 PM   #56
jesus4c

Quote:
Sorry about that, checked back a few posts, you said you had MCU installed, I thought you were using CSI, you might want download, read the readme, and install CSI just to verify that midi in is working: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/33037/CSI%20pre%20alpha.zip

There is a set of primitive templates for the X-Touch One included - we only started working on the X-Touch One a few days ago

It also has an added feature -- it follows track selection.
OMG!! I am SUCH an idiot!! Problem solved!

In the Control Surface Settings, I had selected Mackie Control Universal but hadn't selected anything for the MIDI Input and MIDI Output (erroneously thinking that I didn't need to coz I wasn't dealing with MIDI)

Once I set those to X-Touch One - bingo!! Pretty lights everywhere! The answer came to me just then by watching a Japanese Youtube video on the X-T1 setup.

Thanks for your help, Geoff. And yes - I have the same initial complaints as everyone else (no on/off, doesn't follow track selection) so I will certainly be having a look at your templates.

I am SO relieved!!
Old 08-23-2018, 09:56 PM   #57
mschnell

Congrats !
Great to hear that you can start working with CSI and to tweak the template files to create the workflow you desire.

IMHO at best you would continue the discussion in the CSI thread where such issues are handled -> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:07 AM   #58
Finnish

Any updates on this?
Old 08-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #59
soulranger

Default Help with this!

I'm usually pretty good at figuring things like this out but I'm stumped. I read through everything and still can't seem to get the control surface integrator to show up under control surfaces. Am I missing a step or a script? Could someone do a step by step for me, I'm sure there will be others as more folks buy this unit.

Edit: Updated Reaper, now I have the control surface integrator showing but now things get wonky!

Thanks!!

Last edited by soulranger; 08-25-2018 at 11:35 AM.
soulranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:10 PM   #60
smackdabtkb

The CSI files you copy into the reaper resource directory are marked Read Only, right click that folder and unselect read only, they should be able to be saved then.
smackdabtkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:25 AM   #61
Finnish

This was posted on the X Touch ONE forum:

Quote:
They are currenly looking into the best way to handle this way of requested user/daw operation, as it isn’t a simple one-line hack. They told me that they have some options to look at, as they need to not break any other compatibility and workflow.

The x-touch ONE technically actually works 100% properly compared to a full mackie mcu as the ONE is made compatible to the mcu. Everything mentioned by the users so far is exactly how a mcu operates.

A mcu has eight faders but the ONE only have one fader on the ONE you select which one of those eight faders you want to look at and then you get the option to select that fader/track if you want to perform any action on it using the righthand side controls.

On the 8-fader mcu it is not obvious right away that this issue exist as you normally see what fader strip is selected. However, as soon as you select a track in the daw that is outside the currenly selected bank the right hand controls will operate on the selected track but the faders will operate the currently selected bank. Granted, in this case no select buttons are lit up making it slightly more obvious that nothing is selected in the current bank. But nevertheless this issue still exist. The daw itself never switch bank on your mcu.

On the ONE you don’t get to see all select buttons status, making it less obvious what fader/track is selected in your daw. To avoid user confusion due to the ONE would lose focus the developers made the ONE smart enough to stay on instead of follow the focus of the daw. They made this decision with the best interest for the user so the user wouldn’t need to hunt down the selected track everytime the user clicked on his tracks in the daw..

In the end, to ’fix’ this so that the ONE get the equivalent of a ’follow focus’ you must implement workarounds in the firmware, due to that in the original mackie mcu protocol there is no support for this type of operation. You have to remember that mackie never made a one-fader version of their control surfaces.

So, while the ONE stays 100% true to the mackie protocol this makes it slightly crippled when you scale it down to one fader. But as was mentioned the developers are looking into a way of how to implement your request in a proper way.
https://forum.musictribe.com
Old 08-28-2018, 12:38 PM   #62
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
This was posted on the X Touch ONE forum:

Quote:
They are currenly looking into the best way to handle this way of requested user/daw operation, as it isn’t a simple one-line hack. They told me that they have some options to look at, as they need to not break any other compatibility and workflow.

The x-touch ONE technically actually works 100% properly compared to a full mackie mcu as the ONE is made compatible to the mcu. Everything mentioned by the users so far is exactly how a mcu operates.

A mcu has eight faders but the ONE only have one fader on the ONE you select which one of those eight faders you want to look at and then you get the option to select that fader/track if you want to perform any action on it using the righthand side controls.

On the 8-fader mcu it is not obvious right away that this issue exist as you normally see what fader strip is selected. However, as soon as you select a track in the daw that is outside the currenly selected bank the right hand controls will operate on the selected track but the faders will operate the currently selected bank. Granted, in this case no select buttons are lit up making it slightly more obvious that nothing is selected in the current bank. But nevertheless this issue still exist. The daw itself never switch bank on your mcu.

On the ONE you don’t get to see all select buttons status, making it less obvious what fader/track is selected in your daw. To avoid user confusion due to the ONE would lose focus the developers made the ONE smart enough to stay on instead of follow the focus of the daw. They made this decision with the best interest for the user so the user wouldn’t need to hunt down the selected track everytime the user clicked on his tracks in the daw..

In the end, to ’fix’ this so that the ONE get the equivalent of a ’follow focus’ you must implement workarounds in the firmware, due to that in the original mackie mcu protocol there is no support for this type of operation. You have to remember that mackie never made a one-fader version of their control surfaces.

So, while the ONE stays 100% true to the mackie protocol this makes it slightly crippled when you scale it down to one fader. But as was mentioned the developers are looking into a way of how to implement your request in a proper way.
Hmmm... pretty evasive answer -- not you Finnish , the quoted post

I really don't see how you can accomplish this with firmware alone, near as I can tell, there MUST be communication with the DAW, communication that the Mackie protocol simply does not support.

To me that means DAW specific software, like CSI.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:45 PM   #63
steveo42

Quote:
Hmmm... pretty evasive answer -- not you Finnish , the quoted post

I really don't see how you can accomplish this with firmware alone, near as I can tell, there MUST be communication with the DAW, communication that the Mackie protocol simply does not support.

To me that means DAW specific software, like CSI.
I notice that some of these posts on various sites are conflating the banking limitation problem with the fader follows DAW problem.
Two different animals as far as I can tell.
steveo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:18 PM   #64
Bluzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo42 View Post
I notice that some of these posts on various sites are conflating the banking limitation problem with the fader follows DAW problem.
Two different animals as far as I can tell.
Exactly! I can live with first problem but not second one.

Cheers

Jim
Bluzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:51 AM   #65
Finnish

Quote:
Hey guys,

Just to let you know we are working on firmware so that now the X-Touch One follows the track select when you click/select a channel in your DAW. It's under testing at the moment but so far it's looking good so shouldn't be too long before release. I will be doing a video for our Facebook and Youtube soon and will link it up in here showing the added functionality.

Patrick Karvs

Broadcaster
Behringer,
Music Tribe
Good stuff!
Old 09-04-2018, 02:15 PM   #66
jesus4c

Quote:
Good stuff!
Hi Finnish - wonderful news!! Do you know exactly where this was originally posted? I can't find it on the Music Tribe forums. Thanks.

*Found it! On the Gearslutz forums, but not Music Tribe. Really hope it's genuine!

Last edited by jesus4c; 09-04-2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:50 PM   #67
Finnish

Quote:
I can confirm that the poster in question (Patrick Karvs) is indeed a representative of MUSIC Tribe, and what he says holds a lot of weight. Seeing as he's posted this information in the open forum I'd say that a fix is already in the works for those requesting it here. Delivery will ultimately depend on testing and if everything does as planned.

Michael Lapke
Specialist, Community
MUSIC Tribe
BEHRINGER
Yeah! This is from Mucis Tribe forum.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:20 PM   #68
mschnell

Can they be reached ?
In fact there is an obvious severe downside with the current firmware of the XTouch Compact (non MC-Mode) :
- The Layer A/B buttons don't send any signal via Midi
- Midi messages to the not active layer are ignored instead of changing the current state of the (hidden) controls.

There also are some obviously viable enhancements more:
- a setting to have the LEDs in the buttons completely decoupled from the buttons themselves (in non MC Mode mode)
- an option to have rotaries work as virtual buttons in non MC Mode mode (as it's done for some of the rotaries in MC-mode)

-Michael
Old 09-17-2018, 04:57 PM   #69
InTheNightTime

Thanks Geoff for all the hard work and all the other testers out there. I've been following CSI on this thread and the other main one. I'm having an issue that's bizarre with my x touch one. I've followed all of the steps for setting it up with the latest CSI. Here's the issue, I set up my X Touch One Page and Sequence then close it. Nothing happens on the X touch one. When I go back in the CSI both page and sequence are no longer there. I restart reaper still same issue. I've done this countless times now still it won't save. I'm on Windows 10 run as administrator also have tried running Reaper as Admin. I've also tried changing the CSI folder out of read-only but it won't let me. I'm sure it's an easy fix any suggestions?
InTheNightTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:03 PM   #70
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNightTime View Post
I've also tried changing the CSI folder out of read-only but it won't let me. I'm sure it's an easy fix any suggestions?
Yes, this is a problem, the CSI folder must be writable.

Unfortunately, I don't know why you can't change the permissions.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:13 PM   #71
mschnell

Maybe after"pre-alpha", CSI should provide an error message if it can't write a file ...

-Michael
Old 09-18-2018, 02:42 AM   #72
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Maybe after"pre-alpha", CSI should provide an error message if it can't write a file ...

-Michael
Yeah, except I recall years ago, Windows did not report errors on failed writes to certain directories due to permission issues -- some kind of lame attempt to fool hackers ?

Don't know if that's still true...
Old 09-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #73
bobtom1

Here's an update and video link just posted over at GS.

It's not in Reaper but it looks like progress is being made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamproof View Post
Not up yet but will be very soon, just in the final stage of pre release. Will update here as soon as it up.

Track Select working nice and responsive..

Track Select One.mp4 - Google Drive
Old 09-23-2018, 05:52 PM   #74
mb945

Geoff, just a thought, do you think there's any way CSI could intercept the large jog wheel on the X-Touch one and be able to assign that to any plugin parameter or other use? It would be super cool if it could automatically be assigned to whatever parameter the mouse is hovering over or the last touched parameter? Might be too much to ask for, but just checking. Thanks!
mb945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:30 AM   #75
soulranger

Default Firmware Updated, Reaper not supported??

Firmware updated to 1.07 and is working well with many DAWs except:

From GS:

Quote:
Unfortunately Reaper, in regards to Track Selection and their implementation of it under the MC protocol is really just geared up for an 8 channel controller not single channel. It is to do with the way their Track Select works. Unfort nothing we can do about this from our side with regards to Mc Control.

If Reaper update this in future then we will be happy to re-visit for a future firmware release.

Last edited by soulranger; 09-28-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:12 PM   #76
jesus4c

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulranger View Post
Firmware updated to 1.07 and is working well with many DAWs except:

From GS:
ARGHHH! How frustrating! Love my X-Touch One, but this issue is killing it!
Old 09-29-2018, 12:23 AM   #77
mschnell

Quote:
Firmware updated to 1.07 and is working well with many DAWs
What means "is working well with " ?
Exactly what workflow with using the "One" is supported (e.g. including handling plugin parameters) ?

Is this really the workflow some dedicated user might want ?

-Michael
Old 09-29-2018, 10:06 PM   #78
mb945

So I installed the 1.07 firmware and it does partially work with Reaper.
It does properly change the fader for the currently selected track on screen.
The Rec, Mute and Solo buttons on the top right also do work properly for the selected track.

The things that don't work are the Assignment box does not show the right track. For me, it only changes between showing 01 or 09.
The Channel select button also does not work for me. I cannot select a channel in the DAW from the controller.

Overall I do think this is an improvement but still some bugs to work out.

Reference: https://forum.musictribe.com/showthr...rking-in-Logic!
mb945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:09 AM   #79
soulranger

Default I made it work with Reaper....sort of.

So by accident I had XT1 up and running well with with Studio One. I then closed S1 and opened Reaper without changing the XT1 to be configured to Reaper. Lo and behold it worked and it followed track selected on the daw that was selected by mouse click! I haven't tried everything but it's an odd start.

Edit update: Using S1 Template

Pan and Pan to center works

Beats/Time, Master,Ch select, Mute, Solo, and Rec Ch all buttons work

Automation buttons work
Auto punch button works
Metronome button works

Marker Jump button creates a marker
All view buttons and add send, add insert buttons do not work

Transport buttons all work

Zoom and Marker select work

Bank select and ch select work but quirky (ascending thru channels requires a double click on the ch button. Descending works normally. Track selected in daw via mouse follows track in XT1, even beyond the bank

Scribble strip display is correct and fader moves as expected. Jog wheel and undo works.

Scroll up/down and Zoom works
Marker select does not work it zooms horizontally

All preliminary tests but still a viable work around.

NOTE: You need to configure XT1 to be in S1 mode BEFORE you open Reaper
Configuring XT1 while Reaper is open has poor results.

Last edited by soulranger; 09-30-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:46 PM   #80
bobtom1

Quote:
So by accident I had XT1 up and running well with with Studio One. I then closed S1 and opened Reaper without changing the XT1 to be configured to Reaper. Lo and behold it worked and it followed track selected on the daw that was selected by mouse click! I haven't tried everything but it's an odd start.

Edit update: Using S1 Template

Pan and Pan to center works

Beats/Time, Master,Ch select, Mute, Solo, and Rec Ch all buttons work

Automation buttons work
Auto punch button works
Metronome button works

Marker Jump button creates a marker
All view buttons and add send, add insert buttons do not work

Transport buttons all work

Zoom and Marker select work

Bank select and ch select work but quirky (ascending thru channels requires a double click on the ch button. Descending works normally. Track selected in daw via mouse follows track in XT1, even beyond the bank

Scribble strip display is correct and fader moves as expected. Jog wheel and undo works.

Scroll up/down and Zoom works
Marker select does not work it zooms horizontally

All preliminary tests but still a viable work around.

NOTE: You need to configure XT1 to be in S1 mode BEFORE you open Reaper
Configuring XT1 while Reaper is open has poor results.
Thanks for letting us know. I doubt Behringer will do anything with regards to Reaper as they say it's the way Reaper implements the protocol which is the problem. Have you tried different modes other than S1 with Reaper to see if there are any pleasant surprises? Maybe another configuration will work better.