Old 01-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #121
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
I agree with you! I knew about double-clicking in FX browser, but didn't know about the same thing in Preferences. Well, it could be optional and triangles look better and take less space than pluses.
Another thought would be to auto collapse entries that never get clicked, and after so many times of never clicking them, auto hide them all together, but make them still accessible from the top level item.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:08 AM   #122
Merkury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valle View Post
I big thumbs down to all the bullies whose only reply to OP’s post – which in fact was a very good example on how to give constructive criticism – had to be a bunch of stupid, sarcastic messages, pictures or videos.

Who and what do you bullies think you are? A useful resource to the developers and the community? Don’t kid yourselves! You are the ones who give REAPER, its DAW and community, a bad reputation, not the ones who choose to leave.
Thank man, respect to you. I didn't like the sarcastic answers as well.
Merkury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:09 AM   #123
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Can you explain in more detail when you got hanging notes with TyrellN6? A small example project with just it in it, that can replicate the issue, would be great. I love that plugin too, but never noticed such things happening over here, it might be due to some preferences...
Is TyrellN6 a SynthEdit plugin, or is it based on something else? I thought about downloading it, coz I always like the old Rolands I owned, but hesitated because I sort of avoid SynthEdit plugs, due to some issues in the past with them.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #124
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Is TyrellN6 a SynthEdit plugin, or is it based on something else? I thought about downloading it, coz I always like the old Rolands I owned, but hesitated because I sort of avoid SynthEdit plugs, due to some issues in the past with them.
It shouldn't be, it's U-He.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #125
Jason Lyon

Merkury

I'm hardly a champion poster myself, but I've been around a long time too.
If I hit a snag, I tend to try my best to find a solution before asking.
Just idly lurking the forums from time to time has deepened my understanding a lot. And I do make a point of jumping in and helping others if I think I can. Half the time, someone's already got there before me and sometimes I learn a better method than mine.
As I've said passim, I haven't written any serious code for nearly 30 years, but from bits of research, lurking and some "kindness of strangers" I recently went from custom actions to basic EEL to functional (if not exactly optimal) Lua scripting in under a week.
REAPER seems to be as much about the enthusiastic community as the software itself. Bullying is actually remarkably rare on these boards - and people generally pitch up and stamp on it pretty quickly.
And no hard feelings, of course.
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:18 AM   #126
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
It shouldn't be, it's U-He.
Thanks. I'll grab it then. Long ago I had some issues when running multiple SynthEdit plugs, so I just avoid them now.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:21 AM   #127
grayter1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I haven't been able to do this in Reaper. I thought it did this but I'd never tried it. Anyway I did find actions to do this function, in ReaPack:

mpl_Insert focused FX to selected tracks, preserve parameters.lua
mpl_Insert focused FX to selected tracks.lua

Although I managed to make them fail quickly. I narrowed down the variables and realized it was due to using them with JS plugins, while using the option in the FX window "show JS plugin descriptions" (besides the JS plugin names themselves). I just reported it to MPL on his thread.

So if this feature is "standard in other DAWs", it does already exist for Reaper as an action (and doesn't require a person to create his/her own script); it currently has that one limitation I mentioned though, so hopefully that gets fixed just in case.

@grayter1: these scripts have existed in ReaPack since Jan 2017 (based on the dates listed for the scripts). I had found them in under a minute after reading your post. Although I was also able to make them fail in about as much time, based on my JS plugin option. Anyway now you have that option.
Thanks James. I searched through several actions, and tried a few, but could not make them work as I was expecting them to, and experienced a few issues. I may have run into the problem you described, and when it failed, decided not to pursue it. Again, as I pointed out, if I hit a wall, and the answer (or workaround isn't obvious) then I use another tool that is.

I'll give these actions another shot, and hope the JS portion gets fixed.

tg
Mac Studio M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.3 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Keylab 61 mkII / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X / UVI Falcon
grayter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:25 AM   #128
karbomusic

Quote:
Thanks. I'll grab it then. Long ago I had some issues when running multiple SynthEdit plugs, so I just avoid them now.
A lot of people love it, I rarely use it - can't say why exactly other than I have so many other synths including Zebra 2 by the same company, I just never seem to need it. I don't remember not liking it per se, it just didn't end up getting much use in my setup.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:35 AM   #129
Valle

Quote:
LOL in my experience it takes a lot more than that to be considered bullying.
Ah, OK. I didn’t know you were experienced in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
No, it absolutely wasn't constructive criticism. It was a whinefest.
I believe you – that that’s right for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
I guess that just makes you another bully.
If you by that mean I bully bullies, than that’s a damn good conclusion. Thank you!
Old 01-02-2018, 11:50 AM   #130
Jason Lyon

Oh for goodness' sake, drop the bullying angle.
The OP has been gracious enough to admit that frustration got the better of him and he didn't really present his argument very well as a result. Just about everyone has been mostly understanding and at worst a bit snarky, but has also been gracious and said "but okay, no problem" at the time or has been back to say it since.
Wow, if you think this has been bullying...
Old 01-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #131
Glennbo

Quote:
A lot of people love it, I rarely use it - can't say why exactly other than I have so many other synths including Zebra 2 by the same company, I just never seem to need it. I don't remember not liking it per se, it just didn't end up getting much use in my setup.
In most cases if I want a synth on a song, I'll use the Arturia Minimoog, because I had one for a lot of years and dialing up sounds I've imagined on that interface is fairly easy for me. I did also have a couple of Roland Junos though, and they did have a different flavor of sound, due to their digital oscillators, and different filters, which is the main reason I have an interest in the TyrellN6.

I'm going to give it a try later. Right now I gotta go buy a homebrew beer kit to make this weekend and then go to band practice.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:00 PM   #132
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lyon View Post
The OP has been gracious enough to admit that frustration got the better of him and he didn't really present his argument very well as a result. Just about everyone has been mostly understanding and at worst a bit snarky, but has also been gracious and said "but okay, no problem" at the time or has been back to say it since.
calling bulling or not is indifferent. It does not give value to the forum or to the user. So not positive.
deeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:03 PM   #133
karbomusic

Quote:
and then go to band practice.
When I show up at band practice and someone doesn't know their parts yet I always say... It's called "practice", not "learn"
Old 01-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #134
Valle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lyon View Post
You know, you're right! Let's drop the bully angle – even though I don’t agree that the OP had it coming, or however you wish to put it ...

I would like to apologize to all the posters whose only contribution to this thread was pure sarcasm. Please, knock yourselves out!

And happy new 2018 to all of us!
Old 01-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #135
Glennbo

Quote:
When I show up at band practice and someone doesn't know their parts yet I always say... It's called "practice", not "learn"
I hadn't played live in about six years and then about a month ago a guitarist I had worked with a few times, emailed me wanting to know if I'd be up for playing a few select live gigs per month. Being in the position I am, I thought it sounded perfect and took him up on the offer.

The first rehearsal, I had them make me a USB flash drive with every song they do on it, so I could learn the material on my own time. I told them straight up that I had no interest in "learning" songs at band practice. I only want to spend that time getting tight playing the songs we all should already know.

They actually thanked me last rehearsal for doing my homework.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:30 PM   #136
Lawrence

Quote:
I haven't been able to do this in Reaper. I thought it did this but I'd never tried it. Anyway I did find actions to do this function, in ReaPack:

mpl_Insert focused FX to selected tracks, preserve parameters.lua
mpl_Insert focused FX to selected tracks.lua

Although I managed to make them fail quickly. I narrowed down the variables and realized it was due to using them with JS plugins, while using the option in the FX window "show JS plugin descriptions" (besides the JS plugin names themselves). I just reported it to MPL on his thread.

So if this feature is "standard in other DAWs", it does already exist for Reaper as an action (and doesn't require a person to create his/her own script); it currently has that one limitation I mentioned though, so hopefully that gets fixed just in case.
No problem. I was only suggesting to grayter who seemed to be making a feature request to use a mod to add to all selected, and I was saying that best case a mod shouldn't be necessary, that selection by itself should be an edit filter whenever applicable or viable. Selection (track, clip, whatever) should always be a universal edit filter for those kinds of things in general.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:13 PM   #137
Jason Lyon

Quote:
You know, you're right! Let's drop the bully angle – even though I don’t agree that the OP had it coming, or however you wish to put it ...

I would like to apologize to all the posters whose only contribution to this thread was pure sarcasm. Please, knock yourselves out!

And happy new 2018 to all of us!
I don't think the OP really had anything coming. Was just pointing out that he himself realised that he perhaps could have expressed himself in a better way.
There has been some childishness, I won't deny that or defend it.
But personally, I think sarcasm should always have a fair point behind it and preferably a sense of humour too. Hey, a cynic is just a romantic with a coating of oxide.

Gott nytt ar.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #138
Jason Lyon

Quote:
I hadn't played live in about six years and then about a month ago a guitarist I had worked with a few times, emailed me wanting to know if I'd be up for playing a few select live gigs per month. Being in the position I am, I thought it sounded perfect and took him up on the offer.

The first rehearsal, I had them make me a USB flash drive with every song they do on it, so I could learn the material on my own time. I told them straight up that I had no interest in "learning" songs at band practice. I only want to spend that time getting tight playing the songs we all should already know.

They actually thanked me last rehearsal for doing my homework.
I've got very shirty with people in those circs. It's simple - first you write/workshop, then you practise, then you rehearse/adjust, then you soundcheck, then you perform/record. It's not difficult.

The number of times I've sent charts and recordings round weeks in advance and people plainly haven't bothered to look at them...

See here:
https://jasonlyonjazz.wordpress.com/...w-to-rehearse/
Old 01-02-2018, 04:21 PM   #139
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkury View Post
My OP was probably out of frustration, I realize I was a bit harsh and apologize.
It was more the rant of a long time Cubase user that was missing his pencil and eraser lol.

Peace and happy new year !
Happy new year! With any luck we can help you overcome your obstacles in Reaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
I'll give these actions another shot, and hope the JS portion gets fixed.
MPL said he was probably going to write new scripts to do this reliably, using a different approach. link to his post What a nice guy.

Quote:
Ah, OK. I didn’t know you were experienced in this area.
I'm a very experienced bully.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:13 PM   #140
peter5992

Quote:
My OP was probably out of frustration, I realize I was a bit harsh and apologize.
It was more the rant of a long time Cubase user that was missing his pencil and eraser lol.

That's ok - just ask your questions, one at a time.

The Reaper community is very helpful, but remember, to trap a bear, it takes honey, not vinegar. Easy does it.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:30 AM   #141
ivansc

Quote:

Thank you for that! Hopefully between all of us on here we might be able to salvage your opinion of Reaper, but if you really don`t bond with it, it`s no big deal - it`s just a pieece of software.

And HNY back at you.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:36 AM   #142
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
It's not a windows issue, we just think this doesn't add information. Others may disagree!

Any chance you guys might reconsider on this?
Old 01-03-2018, 04:06 AM   #143
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Any chance you guys might reconsider on this?
What are you writing about? Look in to pre-release forum.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:28 AM   #144
ivansc

Oh yippee! I don`t hit the pre forum that often these days as I havent had spare down time to play with pre release versions.
Just finished a friends project before Xmas, so now is probably as good a time as any. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: Quickly ripped through the various pres and didnt see anything pertaining to this. Which pre mentions this?

Last edited by ivansc; 01-03-2018 at 05:46 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:49 AM   #145
Merkury

So the other day I had some musical inspiration.

Because I still hate the idea of opening a drawer, having to look for a dongle, put it in the
usb socket, wait for the pc to recognize it, start Cubase etc etc.... (I use a notebook...)

well the quickest thing to do was re-installing Reaper.
Of course, I still need to pay for it, which I admit is not cool.
But I will buy it. It's a powerful piece of software.

Still not happy with recording multiple takes, (your screen gets filled with stacked items in an obnoxious way )
but I am VERY happy with the way you can route everything into everything
and create beautiful sounds.

So, the conclusion I think is that it's up to the user what a software can / cannot do.

Cheers
Old 01-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #146
EvilDragon

Quote:
Still not happy with recording multiple takes, (your screen gets filled with stacked items in an obnoxious way )
You can disable that, so that takes just overlap previous items...

Options->Show all takes in lanes (when room)
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #147
karbomusic

Quote:
CTRL+L - Use T and SHIFT+T to cycle through takes. Enable the options to autocolor new takes and place the take number 1 of x on the item and this problem goes away forever.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #148
Merkury

Quote:
CTRL+L - Use T and SHIFT+T to cycle through takes. Enable the options to autocolor new takes and place the take number 1 of x on the item and this problem goes away forever.
Cool thanks man . Is there a way to MOVE one of the takes without moving all ?
Old 01-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #149
karbomusic

Quote:
Cool thanks man . Is there a way to MOVE one of the takes without moving all ?
You can move the audio inside of the take without affecting the other takes using ALT+Drag but that still keeps the take inside the item which is essentially a container of takes. What is it you are wanting to do when doing so? Maybe knowing a little more about that might help with any solutions, if they exist.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #150
Merkury

Quote:
You can move the audio inside of the take without affecting the other takes using ALT+Drag but that still keeps the take inside the item which is essentially a container of takes. What is it you are wanting to do when doing so? Maybe knowing a little more about that might help with any solutions, if they exist.
Sounds good enough, sometimes I just like to record tons of take and then see what I can comp out of them...
Old 01-13-2018, 12:30 PM   #151
karbomusic

Quote:
Sounds good enough, sometimes I just like to record tons of take and then see what I can comp out of them...
Yea, cool, I do that. In that regard, ALT+Drag is good when you are comping and say some cool phrase is in both takes 4 and 5, the better one is in take 5 but is a little late - so it can just be moved over a smidge without affecting the timing of the other takes.

Usually what I'll do is lay a bunch of takes, sometimes improvised, sometimes not. Then I'll find the first phrase and place a split there, loop through all the takes for that phrase with T/SHIFT+T and pick the one I want for now, next phrase, rinse, repeat.

While I'm doing that, I may grab a split that I made previously and slide it left or right as needed, it happens when you have a lot of takes like that where further in you realize some split between two phrases works better if it is say 1/2 through one of the phrases instead of in between them and so on - or maybe I'll add a new split because I want take 3 of 1/2 of phrase 2 and take 5 for the other half of the phrase. YMMV but I find this creatively efficient with the takes collapsed so I can just concentrate on what is happening instead of all these visible, inactive takes that I'm not hearing.

Usually by the end of this process, I'm done, so I don't usually compile different playback combinations but if someone does, they can save each of those as a "comp" for later auditioning using the comp feature.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #152
Merkury

Quote:
Yea, cool, I do that. In that regard, ALT+Drag is good when you are comping and say some cool phrase is in both takes 4 and 5, the better one is in take 5 but is a little late - so it can just be moved over a smidge without affecting the timing of the other takes.

Usually what I'll do is lay a bunch of takes, sometimes improvised, sometimes not. Then I'll find the first phrase and place a split there, loop through all the takes for that phrase with T/SHIFT+T and pick the one I want for now, next phrase, rinse, repeat.

While I'm doing that, I may grab a split that I made previously and slide it left or right as needed, it happens when you have a lot of takes like that where further in you realize some split between two phrases works better if it is say 1/2 through one of the phrases instead of in between them and so on - or maybe I'll add a new split because I want take 3 of 1/2 of phrase 2 and take 5 for the other half of the phrase. YMMV but I find this creatively efficient with the takes collapsed so I can just concentrate on what is happening instead of all these visible, inactive takes that I'm not hearing.

Usually by the end of this process, I'm done, so I don't usually compile different playback combinations but if someone does, they can save each of those as a "comp" for later auditioning using the comp feature.
Interesting, sounds like a logical approach, I'll try that.
I read another user's approach which would imply...using more tracks, one for each take... I think that's a good idea as well (as naive as it may sound) because then you have total control
Old 01-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #153
karbomusic

Quote:
I think that's a good idea as well (as naive as it may sound) because then you have total control
Yea, it's really YMMV on which method is the least work to get one where they want to be.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:09 PM   #154
Jimmy James

The top 5 daw reps gave me copies. I loaded all of them up to find my new DAW. None of them was doing it for me. Reaper has been on my mind.
I dropped the money on Reaper. After 45 min, I uninstalled all the other daws.

If I have a problem, the folks here are more than helpful. In fact, I looked at the forum before I bought Reaper.

The Reaper community sold me on it.
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:20 PM   #155
Jason Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
The top 5 daw reps gave me copies. I loaded all of them up to find my new DAW. None of them was doing it for me. Reaper has been on my mind.
I dropped the money on Reaper. After 45 min, I uninstalled all the other daws.

If I have a problem, the folks here are more than helpful. In fact, I looked at the forum before I bought Reaper.

The Reaper community sold me on it.
Agreed. This place is a communal 24/7 help line, and after a while you just feel inclined to dip in and contribute, as far as you're able. In that respect, the community is rather self-generating.

Every now and then someone comes along and says that it's terrible because it doesn't behave like MyExDAW, to which the perfectly reasonable consensus answer tends to be a) "you can make it do that and here's how" and b) "no problem, hope you'll be happy back with the ex".

In fact, a lot of the reasons people tend to rant against it are precisely because they haven't asked for help. And help comes.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:12 AM   #156
ivansc

True. That and snapping peoples heads off (well, mine occasionally) when help is offered,

But YES the Reaper community is an amazing resource & as far as I am aware if not unique at least pretty damn special.
A big "THANK YOU" to all the folks on here who have helped ME over the years.
And of course Justin and Schwa, who mostly seem to know when to step in when the rest of us are floundering.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:45 AM   #157
Pashkuli
Banned

Quote:

-Cycle recording it's unusable, bad to look at and clunky.

-Recording different takes it's counter-intuitive. The software should help the user work in an intuitive way. Why do I always have to fix non-precise take endings and cut them ?
I must agree to this.
Every time I use takes and recording that way the last bit of audio (tail) comes up as a new take on a new lane... and for some reason I cannot just select and remove it (thus shrinking the height of the track as well). If I delete it, all the takes gets deleted, delete active take (after selecting it) also deletes everything.

What am I missing? Is it Free Item Positioning? I do not know.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:52 AM   #158
vanhaze

- What do you do when you wanna delete a selected Take ?
Do you hit the Delete key on your keyboard ?
Cause this will indeed, delete the whole Item.

To delete a selected (and thus active) Take in an Item, there is a dedicated Action for that in Action List:

Take: Delete active take from items
Old 01-14-2018, 05:15 AM   #159
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by adXok View Post

What am I missing?
A licecap would be helpful.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:30 AM   #160
Merkury

Quote:
Originally Posted by adXok View Post
I must agree to this.
Every time I use takes and recording that way the last bit of audio (tail) comes up as a new take on a new lane... and for some reason I cannot just select and remove it (thus shrinking the height of the track as well). If I delete it, all the takes gets deleted, delete active take (after selecting it) also deletes everything.

What am I missing? Is it Free Item Positioning? I do not know.
EXACTLY adXok, that's exactly what I was struggling to explain. You always get that 'extra take of silence', which is kinda annoying !!