Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
jarl
Human being with feelings

Default Joystick MIDI (Rock Band drums)

Ok... I'm about to give up trying to set up Reaper 3.74 with the (USB, PS3) Rock Band drums kit. So, here I am, asking a probably idiotic question. Nevertheless:

What: RB drums kit for PS3 + Reaper 3.74 (demo)
System: Compaq Presario V2000, conexant (built-in) audio card
Operating system: Windows XP SP3
Other: ASIO4All V2 running

Tried so far: too many things to list

Essentially, I went to Preferences, MIDI devices, Add Joystick MIDI. Selected the drums ("Harmonix Drum kit"), and chose the "Rockband drums" script, script mode "PS3". Checked the "send as midi control" checkbox. When pressing the buttons/pedal on the kit, the "Buttons=<>" line changes, so I assume it's working correctly. I assume this means the drum kit is now seen as an external midi controller. Am I right?

(Other questions so far: why the program doesn't list other txt files I save on the same location as these scripts? What's "bfd"?)

Now, after <long list of trials> I ended up adding a "Virtual Instrument in a new track". Pressed "fx", and added a nice drum set I found mentioned somewhere in the forums (GTG DPC 3). I'm being able to use the virtual keyboard to test the drums (or the Synth, for that matter). But here's the main question:

How on earth do I configure this track to use the joystick MIDI as an input?

I tried some other programs but the latency is awful. I'm impressed by Reaper, and I'm confident it's gonna work much better than other apps, but HOW???

BTW: right now I just want to test the whole setup, specially in terms of latency. Is there any (free) tool available to test this?
jarl is offline   Reply With Quote