Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 02-08-2021, 09:19 AM   #1
Stu
Human being with feelings

Default I miss Bootsy. Any alternatives to these VoS plugins?

Hi everyone

I stopped using VoS plugins years ago when I moved to 64 bit because they were a little unstable bridged, but I’ve never quite managed to find suitable replacements for a few of his plugins, specifically the Thrillseeker LA, VBL and Nasty Delay. These plugins had quite unique behaviour, very characterful. Anyone else have success finding alternatives for them?

I don’t mind if it’s free or paid, but generally avoid Waves even at their sale prices.

Ideally Bootsy would update his stuff to 64bit but after all these years I don’t think it’s likely 😞
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:45 AM   #2
enroe

Hayes, I also use Bootsie's VOS plugins. But, although 32-bit, they
actually work great - even on 64-bit Reaper. That is why I do not
see any need for a substitution - at least for me.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:02 PM   #3
zabukowski

Tesla SE <3
zabukowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:09 PM   #4
Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroe View Post
Hayes, I also use Bootsie's VOS plugins. But, although 32-bit, they
actually work great - even on 64-bit Reaper. That is why I do not
see any need for a substitution - at least for me.
I’ve heard this from a few people but bridged on my system they are not stable - random crashes of the plugin and even Reaper on occasion. I’ve seen a few others with the same issue so I know it’s not isolated unfortunately.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:19 PM   #5
g4greg

Thrillseeker LA is still an integral part of my bass sound. finding a plug that tompresses and adds color in the frequency range you want it to is simply put.. as rare as the pope's SH$T.

for vocals, drums and guitars, I got what I was looking for with the Tonebooster busscomp, and a smidge of reelbuss.

I think the new reelbuss has control over the frequency? But I havent tried it yet.

But Dat bass sound with the thrillseeker when you hit it hard and set it to do its sthing in the bass range... Still looking for that kind of voodoo.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:27 PM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I’ve heard this from a few people but bridged on my system they are not stable - random crashes of the plugin and even Reaper on occasion. I’ve seen a few others with the same issue so I know it’s not isolated unfortunately.
I've never had a crash bridging VOS FWIW. The only issue I've had is once in a while Density will stop passing a signal but it's semi-rare. Rare enough I still use a few of the VOS plugs.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:41 PM   #7
Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I've never had a crash bridging VOS FWIW. The only issue I've had is once in a while Density will stop passing a signal but it's semi-rare. Rare enough I still use a few of the VOS plugs.
Maybe I should try them again, last time I had them opening up with a blank window, not passing signal as you’ve mentioned or the occasional instant crash to desktop with no report. It was a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4greg View Post
Thrillseeker LA is still an integral part of my bass sound. finding a plug that tompresses and adds color in the frequency range you want it to is simply put.. as rare as the pope's SH$T.

for vocals, drums and guitars, I got what I was looking for with the Tonebooster busscomp, and a smidge of reelbuss.

I think the new reelbuss has control over the frequency? But I havent tried it yet.

But Dat bass sound with the thrillseeker when you hit it hard and set it to do its sthing in the bass range... Still looking for that kind of voodoo.
Yeah all three that I mentioned have some specific colouration that just works nice on certain things. I’ve been able to work without them, I have an absolute ton of other options, but nothing *quite* like them.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:43 PM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Maybe I should try them again, last time I had them opening up with a blank window, not passing signal as you’ve mentioned or the occasional instant crash to desktop with no report. It was a few years ago.
Well I think it depends on how much you use them. Meaning, I'm likely to have density on a single track for a single instrument. So when it quits passing signal, I kind of notice pretty quickly now that I'm aware. That would not be so simple if I had a complex project with Density in lots of places. Tbh, that has caused me to use them less, I just haven't abandoned them over it.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:48 PM   #9
tgraph

I still use NastyDLAmkII but that's the only one really. You might look at Tokyo Dawn's Molot for a compressor with color. It's come a long way from the original. There's free and pay versions. I like Fuse Audio Labs' RS-2395C for a BaxterEQ deal.
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:56 PM   #10
Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Well I think it depends on how much you use them. Meaning, I'm likely to have density on a single track for a single instrument. So when it quits passing signal, I kind of notice pretty quickly now that I'm aware. That would not be so simple if I had a complex project with Density in lots of places. Tbh, that has caused me to use them less, I just haven't abandoned them over it.
I guess I kind of used them in the same way, maybe one each of Thrillseeker, VBL and NastyDLA per session. Last time I tried them I wouldn’t entertain the idea something might be a little buggy but really I don’t feel like that matters too much anymore - I could always freeze the tracks up to that plugin. Time to visit VoS I think, cheers Karbo
Old 02-08-2021, 05:59 PM   #11
Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgraph View Post
I still use NastyDLAmkII but that's the only one really. You might look at Tokyo Dawn's Molot for a compressor with color. It's come a long way from the original. There's free and pay versions. I like Fuse Audio Labs' RS-2395C for a BaxterEQ deal.
NastyDLA is an exceptional delay plugin I think, I can replicate it pretty well by chaining plugins but it’s always a lot more fiddly to get the sound that this will do so easily.

I tried Molot when it very first came out and didn’t dig it really, I’ll give it another try. Thanks for the reply
Old 02-08-2021, 08:10 PM   #12
JayJSE2

I've never had the opportunity to properly test out the VOS plugins as the only computer I've had that's had enough power to run them in a full mix is a mac.

That said, I have tried a lot of other plugins, so I can suggest good ones that should do something similar:

Thrillseeker VBL: This seems to be based on a vari-mu comp, so I've recommend looking at some of the recent Analog Obsession plugins (free) and Klanghelm MJUC (paid) [or MJUC jr (free)].

Thrillseeker LA: From the name, I'm guessing la-2a or 3a. Again, AO has an la-2a emulation and there's s.la.x as a JS plugin. The only la-3a emulation I've used is the Waves CLA-3a and it is really good, but I completely understand not wanting to buy Waves plugins.

Nasty DLA: I don't have that much experience with proper delay emulations, but Soundtoys PrimalTap might work for you.

You may also find some Airwindows plugins that work quite well for character, but they're not (for the most part) directly emulating anything, so it's not quite as easy to find what you're looking for.
JayJSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:27 PM   #13
foxAsteria

I still use em all the time. Run em in a dedicated process and they're fine.

I've also had them do weird things (like go silent) once in a while and all it takes is a couple ctrl+shift+clicks to offline/online the plugins and back to normal. Not lately tho.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:58 PM   #14
Strange Ways

Bootsie has emerged from his 5 year exile and is now active again on his VoS facebook page. As you might imagine, people are already hounding him for 64 bit versions!
Strange Ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:28 AM   #15
vitalker

Let's hope he will make all the plugins 64-bit.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 05:29 AM   #16
Sheppola

I'm still using the old Bootsy Compressor on win10 64 bit with no problems :/
Sheppola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:58 AM   #17
tgraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJSE2 View Post

Nasty DLA: I don't have that much experience with proper delay emulations, but Soundtoys PrimalTap might work for you.
Maybe you can help me out. I use Tokyo Dawn's Nova GE... On the VoS page Vlad lays out 2 presets for that. I know there's a way to copy and paste that into a preset but have forgotten where to find it. Any ideas? Anyone?
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 02:01 AM   #18
Csabb

Quote:
Maybe you can help me out. I use Tokyo Dawn's Nova GE... On the VoS page Vlad lays out 2 presets for that. I know there's a way to copy and paste that into a preset but have forgotten where to find it. Any ideas? Anyone?
I think tokyo dawn plugs can simply ctrl+c and ctrl+v presets when the plugin window is open/focused (i believe it is simply text based, so your current setting can be copied and pasted even in a notepad)
Old 02-17-2021, 01:27 AM   #19
took-the-red-pill

Well, VOS has already teamed up with Tokyo Dawn Records on several plugins, so maybe they’re going to come out with more. All are very highly rated, so I would think TDR would take advantage of that.

I too am slowly weaning myself off of VOS stuff, and I’m finding my mixes aren’t suffering. There are others, some paid, some free, for every task.
took-the-red-pill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:32 AM   #20
Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by took-the-red-pill View Post
Well, VOS has already teamed up with Tokyo Dawn Records on several plugins, so maybe they’re going to come out with more. All are very highly rated, so I would think TDR would take advantage of that.

I too am slowly weaning myself off of VOS stuff, and I’m finding my mixes aren’t suffering. There are others, some paid, some free, for every task.
Yes, his saturation methods were used on the TDR Slick EQ. I’m not sure if he was involved with any others, they seem to be a collaboration between TDR and Vladg, the creator of Molot and Limiter 6.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:18 PM   #21
took-the-red-pill

Quote:
Yes, his saturation methods were used on the TDR Slick EQ. I’m not sure if he was involved with any others, they seem to be a collaboration between TDR and Vladg, the creator of Molot and Limiter 6.
Both.

Slick EQ, Kotelnikov, and Nova are with VOS. Molot and Limiter 6 are with VladG.

Brilliant idea to collaborate with the two of the most famous and highly regarded developers out there.

So hopefully they’ll expand with a TDR version of Thrillseeker LA, VBL, XTC, Density, Ferric, Boot EQ etc. I think all in good time....
took-the-red-pill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:02 AM   #22
mabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I still use em all the time. Run em in a dedicated process and they're fine.
This. Run as dedicated process, embed GUI and they are almost native.

As others mentioned, I'm also having some success in reproducing VoS mojo and voodoo with Toneboosters.

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:06 AM   #23
Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
This. Run as dedicated process, embed GUI and they are almost native.

As others mentioned, I'm also having some success in reproducing VoS mojo and voodoo with Toneboosters.

- Mario
I did do this for a while but found that I got the occasional crash and other bugs such as not passing audio. That was several years ago though so will give them another try. Thanks for the reply
Old 02-27-2021, 09:10 AM   #24
mabian

Quote:
I did do this for a while but found that I got the occasional crash and other bugs such as not passing audio. That was several years ago though so will give them another try. Thanks for the reply
I think that the dedicated process setting is purposedly to prevent bad crashes...

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:44 PM   #25
dug dog

Quote:

This post sent me on quite the goose chase! Apparently, there is some problem with the formatting of the presets in Vlad's blog that prevented the "right click>Paste State" thing from working . I found some info, and more presets, on the Gearslutz forum. (Posts 363 through 379 were enlightening, though not ALL of those posts are specific to this issue.)

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/prod...lizers-13.html
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 01:43 AM   #26
vitalker

They are planning to make some plugins 64-bit: https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com...f-vos-plugins/
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:00 PM   #27
OpIvy

Well the plan is underway with beta versions released.... https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com...public-beta-1/