Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 09-14-2020, 02:35 PM   #1
onewayout
Human being with feelings

Default I9 32gig Ram @96k (tomorrow will be 48g ram)

PLZ,

Help me with the proper settings to get my projects running snappy at this config...I have to hit the play button and WAAAAAIIIIT...I have 20 cores on my MSI x299 pro motherboard and in my buffering settings I'm using 14 on the main threads and 6 for the live FX (4 for my superior drummer 3) I've tried many different settings and nothing is going well...

What are you guys using to keep it snappy and ruining smooth..."?

Thx, Jeff
onewayout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:45 PM   #2
Coachz

Why not give a list of all of your Hardware and then they're more likely to be able to give you good info. The converters are you using Etc

Last edited by Coachz; 09-14-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:04 PM   #3
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
When I give a list of all of your Hardware and then they're more likely to be able to give you good info. The converters are you using Etc
Thx,

I'm just using the FOCUSRITE CLARETT interface...Win 10 Pro and the new MSI x299 pro motherboard w/I9 intel 32 gigs of ram 340ghz blah blah...I'm not even passing 49% CPU or 49% Memory but this is reacting like a dog...
Old 09-14-2020, 03:09 PM   #4
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewayout View Post
Thx,

I'm just using the FOCUSRITE CLARETT interface...Win 10 Pro and the new MSI x299 pro motherboard w/I9 intel 32 gigs of ram 340ghz blah blah...I'm not even passing 49% CPU or 49% Memory but this is reacting like a dog...
What is your RT CPU at? Right click in the performance window to turn it on. I try to keep mine under 40% at all times and usually freeze all of my tracks and keep them under 10%
Old 09-14-2020, 03:34 PM   #5
onewayout

Quote:
What is your RT CPU at? Right click in the performance window to turn it on. I try to keep mine under 40% at all times and usually freeze all of my tracks and keep them under 10%
Not sure where that here is a couple pic of my performance meters... https://www.dropbox.com/s/fzdrzaq7po...r%201.JPG?dl=0 https://www.dropbox.com/s/47qd1uufgs...r%202.JPG?dl=0
Also any tips on buffer settings? they seem to help but if you go to far they fall apart...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hket0itrz...ering.jpg?dl=0

Thx Coachz

Last edited by onewayout; 09-14-2020 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:57 PM   #6
Coachz

https://images.app.goo.gl/BnTewEs5VUPmGom47

Check the view menu. Record on your lowest buffer setting till you get skipping and move the buffer setting up until you don't get skipping. RT CPU is a great way to avoid skipping. I try to keep it under 45. I also freeze all my tracks to keep the load off Reaper
Old 09-15-2020, 04:18 AM   #7
onewayout

Quote:
https://images.app.goo.gl/BnTewEs5VUPmGom47

Check the view menu. Record on your lowest buffer setting till you get skipping and move the buffer setting up until you don't get skipping. RT CPU is a great way to avoid skipping. I try to keep it under 45. I also freeze all my tracks to keep the load off Reaper
Aaaah, gotcha Coachz! Wrong cpu chart.... Good idea with the freezing also 👍

After testing another project and not having the same issues I also opened an older back up of that project I was having issues with and it's working fine again.

I'll keep my eye on these and check back if necessary.

Thx for all your help Coachz.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:28 AM   #8
Coachz

Glad I could help. For me it's like dancing a bit with Reaper. Until I get a faster computer (mine is 10 yrs old) I found ways to have a hundred tracks and make albums with very few issues along the way. For me freezing everything is the ticket and RT CPU staying below 50 seems a sweet spot. With everything frozen I'm usually less than 10 on RT CPU and Reaper is very happy there.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:50 AM   #9
poetnprophet

I can't see your files on this work computer, but with that processor you should be able to do a lot. What is your project like? What other computer specs?

I took a snapshot of my performance meter a few days ago with a large project: 99 tracks, 345 FX, RT 60%, total 45% nothing frozen. I have an I7 not an I9. But the point is, there is more to it than just processor speed: AD/DA converter, harddrive types, even project structure all affect performance.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:32 AM   #10
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
I can't see your files on this work computer, but with that processor you should be able to do a lot. What is your project like? What other computer specs?

I took a snapshot of my performance meter a few days ago with a large project: 99 tracks, 345 FX, RT 60%, total 45% nothing frozen. I have an I7 not an I9. But the point is, there is more to it than just processor speed: AD/DA converter, harddrive types, even project structure all affect performance.
Thx, Good idea I'll check with focusrite today about it....I do get a bit better snappy response when I mess with the buffer settings but I've not heard from anyone that seems to point me in the direction of what I could do to optimize reaper for my PC....

THX, Jeff
Old 09-17-2020, 08:58 AM   #11
Win Conway

Holy crap, if you have those computer specs (gen 9 i5 with 32gb here, and it flies) and it is lagging, you need to shoot that Focusrite in the face.
Are you doing heavy orchestral compositions or something ?
Old 09-17-2020, 09:24 AM   #12
maxdembo

Yeah, something aint right there.

I've got a focusrite saffire at 48khz, 24 bit, and only an i5 2500k and 16gb. An asus P8Z68-V from around 2012.

100% CPU use, 16 tabs open in Opera, torrent running, 35 track Reaper project playing, video loaded on 3 tracks, loads of Waves plugins running, a sample based vsti...

No drop outs. No lag. Latency is up high as I'm only editing, I'd turn everything off for recording or adding more synths and effects, but I'm yet to really stress it out that much tbh using BFD3, Waves, Kontakt, lots of Positive Grid BIAS and a bunch of other stuff. I dont use many softsynths tbh.

System optimisation is essential in Windows, and quality of parts, overclocking options etc for the system parts (if they can be overclocked and be stable, those parts are better and likely longer lasting, and can be underclocked better for longevity).

Anyway, yeah, sounds a bit off to me. I'd expect more out of a system that well specc'd compared to mine.
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:28 PM   #13
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
Yeah, something aint right there.

I've got a focusrite saffire at 48khz, 24 bit, and only an i5 2500k and 16gb. An asus P8Z68-V from around 2012.

100% CPU use, 16 tabs open in Opera, torrent running, 35 track Reaper project playing, video loaded on 3 tracks, loads of Waves plugins running, a sample based vsti...

No drop outs. No lag. Latency is up high as I'm only editing, I'd turn everything off for recording or adding more synths and effects, but I'm yet to really stress it out that much tbh using BFD3, Waves, Kontakt, lots of Positive Grid BIAS and a bunch of other stuff. I dont use many softsynths tbh.

System optimisation is essential in Windows, and quality of parts, overclocking options etc for the system parts (if they can be overclocked and be stable, those parts are better and likely longer lasting, and can be underclocked better for longevity).

Anyway, yeah, sounds a bit off to me. I'd expect more out of a system that well specc'd compared to mine.

Thx Everyone,

I figured out that the project was somewhat corrupt....I opened another similar project and everything was ok...so I just copied all my trks to another project.

What I'm doing is using my 48k projects and running them at 96k and this machine is AWESOME no issues at all now....I did tweak the buffering after watching Jon's vid on it...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z-0...=TheREAPERBlog !! I'll tell you guys I never thought uping my sample rate could help PLUS I didn't have a machine that I thought could handle it....BUT it is like NIGHT n DAY instead of PILING on plugins to get that THICK WARM sound like I was used to in tape you can hear it INSTANTLY in 96k!! It is a BLESSING...I would be doing 192k but most plugin's don't work with that sample rate...

Thks for all the input again everyone...Jeff
Old 09-17-2020, 04:20 PM   #14
maxdembo

Quote:
Thx Everyone,

I figured out that the project was somewhat corrupt....I opened another similar project and everything was ok...so I just copied all my trks to another project.

What I'm doing is using my 48k projects and running them at 96k and this machine is AWESOME no issues at all now....I did tweak the buffering after watching Jon's vid on it...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z-0...=TheREAPERBlog !! I'll tell you guys I never thought uping my sample rate could help PLUS I didn't have a machine that I thought could handle it....BUT it is like NIGHT n DAY instead of PILING on plugins to get that THICK WARM sound like I was used to in tape you can hear it INSTANTLY in 96k!! It is a BLESSING...I would be doing 192k but most plugin's don't work with that sample rate...

Youre making me want to upgrade... No fair!
Old 09-18-2020, 10:42 AM   #15
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
Youre making me want to upgrade... No fair!
One of the posters said he's freezing the plugins as he goes and it's working great cause you can always just unfreeze and tweak the vsts.... Food for thought..☺️
Old 09-20-2020, 08:52 AM   #16
poetnprophet

glad you got it working. interesting you can notice a difference at 96k. I switched to 48k a while back from 96 and I didn't notice a difference after mixing down to the same mp3 or wav file format (44k/16). I did learn to enjoy the extra cpu headroom though plus double the amount of ADAT channels. However I did notice a difference in the top end during monitoring, which takes more careful saturation and LP filtering.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:07 AM   #17
Coachz

Quote:
One of the posters said he's freezing the plugins as he goes and it's working great cause you can always just unfreeze and tweak the vsts.... Food for thought..☺️
That's me. I freeze every track that has an fx on it. It makes Reaper work dreamy here. I basically use 3 toolbar buttons. Do what works for you ! I stay at 128/3ms buffer for low latency so I need this to keep from stuttering.

I also have scripts here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=221192

The attached JB_Select_Children_With_FX finds all tracks with media and fx on them and selects them. It makes it easy for me to pick all the tracks to freeze. Then Ctrl click any to add/remove before freezing.

Then I run this:

Custom: Freeze to stereo
Script: JB_remove_Frozen_from_track_name.lua
Track: Freeze to stereo (render pre-fader, save/remove items and online FX)
Script: JB_add_remove_Frozen_to_from_track_name.lua

To unfreeze I run.
Custom: UnFreeze All Frozen
Script: JB_select_frozen_tracks.lua
Custom: Unfreeze tracks
Track: Unfreeze tracks (restore previously saved items and FX)
Peaks: Rebuild all peaks

Last edited by Coachz; 08-15-2023 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:32 PM   #18
serr

Quote:
Thx Everyone,

Something is really off here!

I've heard many edge cases where HD sample rates shine and reveal a flaw from SD sample rates. I've heard examples of sample rate converters that run cleaner at HD vs SD. (Filtering off the sample rate frequency when it's RIGHT next to the audio band is hard it turns out.) Most of the time this stuff is transparent with modern algorithms though. Convert the sample rate on some audio with SOX or the stock Reaper src at the highest settings. Now convert it back (lossy from the already converted file). Now compare that twice over lossy conversion to the original audio. You can't tell at all in an A/B test and the thing nulls down to 90 or 100db or more with the original.

Sample rate conversion on the fly is another matter!
It uses significant CPU for one thing. (That's how you were putting your CPU use on blast FYI. The live on the fly conversion you were doing.) You can't use the highest non-realtime settings. The highest quality you can use on the fly is quite good but now we're into loss territory. If you're hearing what seems to be more accurate sound from after on the fly sample rate conversion vs native, something inadvertent is going on!

You have your block size dialed down to 32 samples. Presumably for some of the live performance work you do? Playing a MIDI instrument through VSTi sound module plugins or a guitar through an amp sim plugin? Or maybe running live sound for a stage? Something where you need to hear the output from the computer with no perceivable lag while you and/or others perform.

A point there to take away is... If you aren't doing anything live, you're setting the latency low for no reason and putting your machine on blast for no reason.

We usually see the more recent cutting edge machines with the guys doing orchestral work with literally hundreds of heavyweight sampler plugins all running live. Or guys recording actual orchestras with hundreds of channels. Workflow that raises your eyebrows a little. My now 10 year old 8 core 2.93 - 3.33 i7 machine with 32GB ram lets me mix at least 350 tracks (and as many or more plugins) of 96k audio (native recorded 96k) with a 5.1 surround mix.

So something doesn't add up here!
You're talking about a monster spec machine as though you have a Dell running Windows.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 03:54 PM   #19
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Something is really off here!

I've heard many edge cases where HD sample rates shine and reveal a flaw from SD sample rates. I've heard examples of sample rate converters that run cleaner at HD vs SD. (Filtering off the sample rate frequency when it's RIGHT next to the audio band is hard it turns out.) Most of the time this stuff is transparent with modern algorithms though. Convert the sample rate on some audio with SOX or the stock Reaper src at the highest settings. Now convert it back (lossy from the already converted file). Now compare that twice over lossy conversion to the original audio. You can't tell at all in an A/B test and the thing nulls down to 90 or 100db or more with the original.

Sample rate conversion on the fly is another matter!
It uses significant CPU for one thing. (That's how you were putting your CPU use on blast FYI. The live on the fly conversion you were doing.) You can't use the highest non-realtime settings. The highest quality you can use on the fly is quite good but now we're into loss territory. If you're hearing what seems to be more accurate sound from after on the fly sample rate conversion vs native, something inadvertent is going on!

You have your block size dialed down to 32 samples. Presumably for some of the live performance work you do? Playing a MIDI instrument through VSTi sound module plugins or a guitar through an amp sim plugin? Or maybe running live sound for a stage? Something where you need to hear the output from the computer with no perceivable lag while you and/or others perform.

A point there to take away is... If you aren't doing anything live, you're setting the latency low for no reason and putting your machine on blast for no reason.

We usually see the more recent cutting edge machines with the guys doing orchestral work with literally hundreds of heavyweight sampler plugins all running live. Or guys recording actual orchestras with hundreds of channels. Workflow that raises your eyebrows a little. My now 10 year old 8 core 2.93 - 3.33 i7 machine with 32GB ram lets me mix at least 350 tracks (and as many or more plugins) of 96k audio (native recorded 96k) with a 5.1 surround mix.

So something doesn't add up here!
You're talking about a monster spec machine as though you have a Dell running Windows.
Thx serr,

no I sussed it out and I had my latency at 1024 it was just a corrupt file that needed to be rebuilt in another folder...ALL IS GOOD NOW!! (-:
Old 09-21-2020, 02:49 AM   #20
maxdembo

For anyone that stumbles across this thread, +1 for recording at low latencys and then whacking the latency way up for editing.

Means I can push the system more.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:08 AM   #21
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post

No On Toontrack Products which is what I keep "LIVE" until the very end. Mostly my drums cause they seem to get tweaked more as I'm cleaning things up for mixes...all I have to do is put on the record button and I can edit in "real-time" still at 1024
Old 09-21-2020, 05:09 AM   #22
onewayout

Quote:
That's me. I freeze every track that has an fx on it. It makes Reaper work dreamy here. I basically use 3 toolbar buttons. Do what works for you ! I stay at 128/3ms buffer for low latency so I need this to keep from stuttering.

I also have scripts here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=221192

The attached JB_Select_Children_With_FX finds all tracks with media and fx on them and selects them. It makes it easy for me to pick all the tracks to freeze. Then Ctrl click any to add/remove before freezing.

Then I run this:

Custom: Freeze to stereo
Script: JB_remove_Frozen_from_track_name.lua
Track: Freeze to stereo (render pre-fader, save/remove items and online FX)

To unfreeze I run.
Custom: UnFreeze All Frozen
Script: JB_select_frozen_tracks.lua
Custom: Unfreeze tracks
Track: Unfreeze tracks (restore previously saved items and FX)
AWESOME +1