Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 11-22-2021, 03:08 PM   #1
Phazma
Human being with feelings

Default FR - Media Explorer stop/pause/restart preview on 2nd click

If auto-play is active, clicking a file starts preview. But clicking it again while it is playing does nothing. This is a wasted opportunity for several very useful options: stop, pause or restart preview on 2nd click.

Personally I would use the stop option. It would be a much quicker way to interrupt playback when accidentally triggering an unexpectedly loud file (rather than going to the stop button with the mouse) and thus helps to prevent hearing and/or equipment damage. Also it would just be plainly more convenient when auditioning a file of several seconds or longer and wanting to interrupt it without the need to move the mouse. It happened several times that someone needs to talk to me while I am auditioning files and I am like "erm..wait a sec..." searching for a quick way to stop the sound and end up just turning my main volume knob down.

Pause would be useful for the same purposes as stop but allow users to continue playback where it has been interrupted. Some users might prefer that instead of stopping and jumping back to the start of the file.

Restart would be useful for auditioning short one-shot samples several times in a row. It is possible to set it up with double-click but that is a bit more clumsy. I recall having read that it could be useful also for “live-performing” samples from a folder via MX while the arrangement is playing.

Last edited by Phazma; 11-29-2021 at 05:09 AM.
Phazma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:52 AM   #2
Phazma

So is really nobody interested in making use of the 2nd click?

The Media Explorer is coming closer and closer to perfection and this remains my main wish for it.
Phazma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:16 PM   #3
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
So is really nobody interested in making use of the 2nd click?

The Media Explorer is coming closer and closer to perfection and this remains my main wish for it.
Yes. I always fall for that issue, clicking a second time while it is playing I expect the playing to stop, but it doesn't. Would be great if it did.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:21 AM   #4
Daodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
If auto-play is active, clicking a file starts preview. But clicking it again while it is playing does nothing. This is a wasted opportunity for several very useful options: stop, pause or restart preview on 2nd click.

Restart would be useful for auditioning short one-shot samples several times in a row. It is possible to set it up with double-click but that is a bit more clumsy. I recall having read that it could be useful also for “live-performing” samples from a folder via MX while the arrangement is playing.
Exactly! +1
Daodan is offline   Reply With Quote