Old 10-31-2020, 06:06 AM   #1
mks
Human being with feelings

Default Touch Input globally unusable

It seems that there is a major problem using a touch or pen input on Windows 10. Performing a click-drag action with a stylus or touch does not register (as a click nor a click-drag) until a certain "deadzone" of movement is surpassed. For instance, grabbing a fader does not take effect (nor does it register as being touched) until you have moved a significant distance. Obviously this is problematic for various reasons relating to the accurate adjustments that we do in a DAW. Especially when automating. Resulting in the compounded problem of touch mode being ineffective and writing automation with huge jumps.

The OS GUI overlay clearly recognize the inputs and immediate movement. Unfortunately they do not pass that on to the underlying program by detault, instead imposing this "deadzone" behaviour. I've done some research and it's related to a core Windows implementation (likely Ink). However, there are clearly ways developers get around this since it isn't a problem for things at the OS level (such as faders on the sound control panel) or programs that require accurate input (such as drawing applications or even Wacom providing a bypass for their pen input). So while this is a major Windows issue that should ideally be solved as a global preference on their end, it seems it's up to developers to adress this (perhaps by way of provided API or Library).

I've posted about it here but got not traction: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=243692

I've also created an issue with MS feedback and hopefully we can get some upvotes on that issue. It seems crazy to me that this is still a problem for every Windows user with a touch or pen display. Please see here if you have the time. These votes issues do sometimes get addressed: https://aka.ms/AAa1dta

But I'm posting here in the hopes that Cockos can look at the solutions other developers seem to be using to allow at least a useable touch input. Unfortunately as it stands right now, it's nearly a useless input method and problematic for users like me who have studios/workstations built around touch displays.

Thanks to everyone who can chime in on this and hopefully. Please Cockos team take a look at this. We'd love all sorts of things to do with touch, but if we could at least use one finger in the way that is useful, that would be huge!
mks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:15 AM   #2
mschnell

The only thing I can see to be decently advantageous with touch would be controlling multiple (Volume) faders at the same time. But this is "multi-Touch" and asks for even more complexity.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 11-02-2020 at 07:52 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:49 AM   #3
mks

Agreed. Multitouch faders would be great and would eliminate the unnecessary OSC component of my setup that I have purely for that reason. But that's a more long term ask and presents it's own set of hurdles. I know there are other threads about that already that I might share my thoughts in.

I used to think the same way about touch interfaces (and definitely still don't think it's a solution for many things on top of touch a mouse driven UI), but I've been using pen and touch input for the last few years and feel both bring a lot of efficiency to my workflows. Though recently I switched to Windows from Mac which is what led to this particular thread.

I'm mostly wanting to bring up that Windows has imposed a certain behavior on touch input that makes it unusable for many things requiring accuracy. Seemingly and unfortunately making it the developers responsibility to implement a more accurate behavior. Which I don't think is right. I'm just not sure how complex this is for developers, how much Microsoft provides a framework for doing that, and even hoping that it's might be as easy as passing touch events through as mouse events

Still hoping that bringing up the OS limitation will lead to something since I'm sure convincing MS to change their mind is a difficult task (worth a try though since it effects developers and users other than us).
mks is offline   Reply With Quote