Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 07-25-2021, 08:17 AM   #1
juan_r
Human being with feelings

Default (Bounty) Tempo change tool/script for live use

I need a tempo change tool for live use. I think a script could do that, but maybe there are other options. Hoping for suggestions or other kinds of help. Here's what I need.

1. Tempo can be tapped on the computer keyboard, from a MIDI note, or from a MIDI CC - possibly with specific values, so that if I assign this function to the sustain footswitch, it just "taps" when I push it down (value=127), not when I release it (value=0). Same with notes: a velocity of 0 ("note off") shouldn't imply a "tap".

2. This function can be enabled/disabled by means of some other action (assigned to computer key/MIDI note/MIDI CC), so that e.g. the sustain footswitch acts as a normal footswitch until it is "grabbed" by the enabled tempo change tool. When a MIDI message is "grabbed" by the tempo change tool, it is filtered out and doesn't propagate further.

3. The tempo change has some "gravity" that gradually pushes the downbeats towards my tapping. The matter is: I can get decent sync by tapping, but if the band has "turned upside down", as sometimes happens, even if the metronome speed is tapped right, it is very difficult (impossible?) to have the downbeat where I tap. I just keep on tapping at the same speed, the speed is OK, but my taps end on upbeats and there's nothing I can do.

As you probably figured out, this is for live playing of snippets/sequences/synced effects with a band that has no click in the monitors. Keeping Reaper in sync would be my own responsability.

I understand such a tool might not exist, but I'm giving it a try here. I think a script like this could be cooked up, and I'd be glad to donate/contribute towards its creation. Any taker can PM me for details.

Last edited by juan_r; 07-26-2021 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Add "bounty" to subject
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:40 AM   #2
juan_r

UPDATE: Elsewhere, MPL suggested it's unreasonably hard to code. I trust his opinion on this matter, so I'm dropping the "beat gravity" requirement. What I really need is exclusive grabbing of the controller/note used during tap tempo activation, so the note, footswitch or other controller doesn't play any armed MIDI instruments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r
1. Tempo can be tapped on the computer keyboard, from a MIDI note, or from a MIDI CC - possibly with specific values, so that if I assign this function to the sustain footswitch, it just "taps" when I push it down (value=127), not when I release it (value=0). Same with notes: a velocity of 0 ("note off") shouldn't imply a "tap".

2. This function can be enabled/disabled by means of some other action (assigned to computer key/MIDI note/MIDI CC), so that e.g. the sustain footswitch acts as a normal footswitch until it is "grabbed" by the enabled tempo change tool. When a MIDI message is "grabbed" by the tempo change tool, it is filtered out and doesn't propagate further.

(Disregard) 3. The tempo change has some "gravity" that gradually pushes the downbeats towards my tapping. The matter is: I can get decent sync by tapping, but if the band has "turned upside down", as sometimes happens, even if the metronome speed is tapped right, it is very difficult (impossible?) to have the downbeat where I tap. I just keep on tapping at the same speed, the speed is OK, but my taps end on upbeats and there's nothing I can do.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:22 PM   #3
nofish

1. Assign (learn) a MIDI controller to acion "Transport: Tap tempo"?
2. I think that could be done with ReaLearn, may ask in the ReaLearn thread to be sure.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:23 AM   #4
juan_r

Thanks for the suggestion, @nofish. I'm going to check out ReLearn to see if it can help with the switching.