Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 07-29-2021, 02:56 PM   #561
airon
Human being with feelings

See post #559 for an answer on scrubbing and a bit on destructive record.

Destructive record is unlikely to make it in. Recording audio inside the session is not like it is in Protools.

Not the greatest for longer shows, but you may need to get used to it. I've never looked back. Render times are pretty good these days, even for film-length 5.1 shows.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:30 PM   #562
fakemaxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by zblip2@gmail.com View Post

PER ITEM SCRUBBING.

When editing sound to picture you do a heck of alot of scrubbing. From what I know, the present methods to scrub an audio Item in Reaper, is to put its track in solo and dragging the project curator's handle and scroll the whole project. This is too complicated. Please implement direct item scrubbing.
I have "SWS/BR: Play from mouse cursor position and solo track under mouse for the duration (perform until shortcut released)" set to my F key. It's a lifesaver, I don't know what I would do without it.

Quote:
DESTRUCTIVE RECORDING
Is disk space really that much of a deal?
fakemaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:22 AM   #563
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakemaxwell View Post
I have "SWS/BR: Play from mouse cursor position and solo track under mouse for the duration (perform until shortcut released)" set to my F key. It's a lifesaver, I don't know what I would do without it.
Very interesting. Turns out I already had that assigned but had completely forgotten about it. Thanks for that tip.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:18 AM   #564
bcslaam

Default Option to never move or modify media in a database overriding all other options

Sound Effects media often get inadvertantly moved out of a folder or modified because in a project it was destructively modified before saving or the move media to project folder option was enabled (instead of copy) due to the need for it to be the case for other project exclusive media. This can result over the time some SFX media files dissappearing or being modified in a SFX collection.

With the proposed database specific option enabled this would mean the SFX media, no matter where they are, as long as theyre referenced in that particualr database, they would be protected and remain where they are and unmodified, by silently in the background forcing a copy to project folder before moving or modifying. If any other global opposing options are enabled (which is useful for project specific and exclusive media) they are overridden for media in that database. Whilst other media not referenced in that database obey the global option.

Last edited by bcslaam; 09-01-2021 at 10:21 PM.
bcslaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:42 PM   #565
the19thbear

Suggestion for media explorer:
-History to see what you have searched for (not what has been played).

Last edited by the19thbear; 09-21-2021 at 12:34 AM.
the19thbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:55 AM   #566
Wanekk

With large projects, it is observed to create small pieces,
brakes when the project becomes more program, refuses to show
the contents of the tracks and, accordingly, these tracks do not play.
Moreover, the program refuses to save the project.
There is a similar problem in Windows, but the effect occurs
significantly later than MacOS.
Reaper 6.40
i7 8700k 32gb ram
Wanekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:53 AM   #567
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanekk View Post
With large projects, it is observed to create small pieces,
brakes when the project becomes more program, refuses to show
the contents of the tracks and, accordingly, these tracks do not play.
Moreover, the program refuses to save the project.
There is a similar problem in Windows, but the effect occurs
significantly later than MacOS.
Reaper 6.40
i7 8700k 32gb ram
Please share more details about this, if possible in a dedicated thread in the General forum, and post a link to that new thread here. More people will see it there, and perhaps a solution can be found, or we'll find a bug for Cockos to fix.
Old 02-16-2022, 01:09 PM   #568
strangy

Default Media Explorer Preview - route mono to center channel

Hi,

I very happy with all recent improvements in Media Explorer, but I stuck with one thing that could be better.

When you configure Media Explorer Preview track as 6ch for 5.1 surround, it plays surround files well. But when you play mono files it plays through left channel, and it's not comfortable. it will be great to have option to select output channel for mono files, or any ability to play it through center channel.

Now I solve it by using stereo configuration for Media Explorer Preview, because most of files in libraries are mono and stereo.

But ability to configure output for mono files would be very close to what you expect in 5.1 surround and it will open a way to search for many different formats and not think about audio configuration.
strangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 01:56 PM   #569
strangy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the19thbear View Post
Suggestion for media explorer:
-History to see what you have searched for (not what has been played).
If you press arrow to the right of search field you'll see recent searches list
strangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:56 PM   #570
airon

+1

Ich have a whole bunch of surround fx as well and need to be picky about the channels I preview because of this. I pull in files to a separate project for this or change ‚preview‘ tracks, which of course takes me away from my editing tracks, instead of always using the same media explorer preview track.

Reaper needs a setting to assume mono files needs to go to channels x,y,… whatever the user wants. Little pick&choose channel matrix just for mono ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangy View Post
Hi,

I very happy with all recent improvements in Media Explorer, but I stuck with one thing that could be better.

When you configure Media Explorer Preview track as 6ch for 5.1 surround, it plays surround files well. But when you play mono files it plays through left channel, and it's not comfortable. it will be great to have option to select output channel for mono files, or any ability to play it through center channel.

Now I solve it by using stereo configuration for Media Explorer Preview, because most of files in libraries are mono and stereo.

But ability to configure output for mono files would be very close to what you expect in 5.1 surround and it will open a way to search for many different formats and not think about audio configuration.
Old 02-17-2022, 06:41 AM   #571
Joystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
+1

Ich have a whole bunch of surround fx as well and need to be picky about the channels I preview because of this. I pull in files to a separate project for this or change ‚preview‘ tracks, which of course takes me away from my editing tracks, instead of always using the same media explorer preview track.

Reaper needs a setting to assume mono files needs to go to channels x,y,… whatever the user wants. Little pick&choose channel matrix just for mono ?
That would be nice. Something like the "Monitoring FX" chain module but implemented on the media explorer monitoring sections. If we could also insert plugins like in the "Monitoring FX" module then we could also be able to listen to ambisonic files or even surround to binaural using free plugins. So we could even monitor surround files when we are on a laptop or we have a stereo pipeline.

This can go the other way when monitoring stereo files and you want to listen to how they will sound in your surround-configured control room after upmixing. This happens to me more than the other way around as the industry (especially games) moves toward immersive formats and most of the older content is still on the stereo format.

Now, if this is combined with a routing/pin matrix as you propose and the use of plugins, we could save all this monitoring module settings together with routing settings and plugins as a preset and recall them as we need while browsing files through tracks in the sequencer.

It might appear overkill but I believe that it's a catch-all solution.
Joystick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:16 AM   #572
buckman

Quote:
DESTRUCTIVE RECORDING

When working in film or tv you have very long mixes and you usually print many stems and formats (5.1, Stereo etc). So this amounts to alot of tracks for a lot of time. Usually, after the mixes and stems are printed, production will ask for touch-ups. This means you need to punch in and out at certain points into the main mix and stems. Pro tools enables you to do this without generating a new Item. It is called Destructive Record. In this mode, every punch-in/out is automatically consolidated into the previously printed mixes. I do not see this feature in Reaper. This means that all the touch-ups will be independent clips which will need to be glued into the existing a items using the Flue function, thus generating a whole new set of items and waisting MUCH disc space for nothing. Please implement this.
I've been on about this for a while too, but it seems not many others need it.
I suppose you could link to an Ext Editor to do the destructive 'crops' if needed.

Or I wonder if there is a destructive action, whereby when you cut/crop and delete some 'dead air' of audio, Reaper sends it to the Trash/Recycle so its not part of the project?

That could be a solution if it works?
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 12:00 AM   #573
Joystick

Quote:
When working in film or tv you have very long mixes and you usually print many stems and formats (5.1, Stereo etc). So this amounts to alot of tracks for a lot of time. Usually, after the mixes and stems are printed, production will ask for touch-ups. This means you need to punch in and out at certain points into the main mix and stems. Pro tools enables you to do this without generating a new Item. It is called Destructive Record. In this mode, every punch-in/out is automatically consolidated into the previously printed mixes. I do not see this feature in Reaper. This means that all the touch-ups will be independent clips which will need to be glued into the existing a items using the Flue function, thus generating a whole new set of items and waisting MUCH disc space for nothing. Please implement this.
This is a nice idea to avoid long renders for small changes in a project.

Probably would need some kind of dif-check between the different states a project is from the render until the new render occurs.

Maybe this could be enabled as a feature in the project settings and create a different file with each render that would save the state of the project then, like a project file for each render. REAPER doesn't have big project files so this would be better than having huge audio render that also takes a lot of time to render. And this could be activated per project so other types of work don't have to manage extra files.

That way you could even say from which previous render you would like to compare the state and render the new render.

Quote:
When editing sound to picture you do a heck of alot of scrubbing. From what I know, the present methods to scrub an audio Item in Reaper, is to put its track in solo and dragging the project curator's handle and scroll the whole project. This is too complicated. Please implement direct item scrubbing.
This would be nice.
Joystick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 11:24 AM   #574
plush2

Quote:
PER ITEM SCRUBBING.

It's not per item scrubbing but if you select the option "Reaper Preferences\Audio\Playback\Only play selected tracks while scrubbing" then only the selected track(s) is/are scrubbed. If none are selected then the entire mix is scrubbed.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:23 AM   #575
mat chat

Default choosing routing default

Hello it could be very nice to choose a default number of souce in the routing section of tracks.Doing multichannel mixing I have to change every single send or receive from the default 2 channels source to multichannel source/6 channel/1-6 and it really slows down the workflow.
thanck you very much!
mat chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 03:37 AM   #576
Barrail

Default Colorize a particular envelope, punctually

Hello,
It would be very useful to be able to colorize a particular envelope, punctually, WITHOUT using the action 41930 (to configure colors).
Old 04-19-2022, 10:17 AM   #577
garck

Default Pin on by default on floating windows or...

Pin on by default on floating windows or...
Mixer Window always behind all other windows except the timeline/project window.

Last edited by garck; 04-26-2022 at 02:30 PM.
garck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 01:08 PM   #578
nepenthe

Native AAF/OMF support would be very welcome
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 03:29 AM   #579
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepenthe View Post
Native AAF/OMF support would be very welcome
That's a big no, and for very good reasons. For us post folks, there are tools to take care of this, and being such a niche necessity, it's fine to pay that little bit extra for a work-enabling feature. Many of us pay for very useful scripts and extensions as well. This is the same thing.

It's not worth the time of the two main developers to invest so much time and effort for so few people needs, especially since it CAN be taken care of by external developers. And it has been taken care of.

AATranslator and iirc even Vordio does an excellent conversion of the many horrible flavours of OMF and AAF. AATranslator can even produce Protools sessions from Reaper sessions for you.

AAF/OMF is a format for professionals and not a core system feature for almost everybody, unlike Latch Preview for example.
Old 05-08-2022, 04:42 AM   #580
mat chat

Default glue items keeping BWF metadatas

Hello it could be great if we could keep metadatas of the original item that we glue (if it's for committing to a take effect in the item for example) at least if gluing involve just one original file. cheers
mat chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 12:21 PM   #581
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat chat View Post
Hello it could be great if we could keep metadatas of the original item that we glue (if it's for committing to a take effect in the item for example) at least if gluing involve just one original file. cheers
+1

No meta data shall be sacrificed if possible.
Old 07-16-2022, 09:45 AM   #582
mike_rawd

Default Multi-item for sounds layering

Sometimes I need to layer some simple short sounds to make a SFX. Right now it means that I need to create new track and add each sample on the respective track. But what if we could create single multi-item on one track, where we can combine few samples on a small sub-timeline? Like subproject, but without the necessity to create new project and render it each time. For effects on each item Reaper already has a solution - per item FX.
mike_rawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 09:52 AM   #583
mrlimbic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_rawd View Post
Sometimes I need to layer some simple short sounds to make a SFX. Right now it means that I need to create new track and add each sample on the respective track. But what if we could create single multi-item on one track, where we can combine few samples on a small sub-timeline? Like subproject, but without the necessity to create new project and render it each time. For effects on each item Reaper already has a solution - per item FX.
Why not use free item positioning? Have as many items as you like on top of each other on just one track, each with their own fades etc. You can set visibility options to make it more convenient to work that way.

https://youtu.be/rHaw3Me8UhM?t=695
Old 09-07-2022, 03:35 AM   #584
the19thbear

One thing I would love:
Hotkey pressed+mouse click on any parameter (volume/pan/mute/solo)=show envelope for that parameter.
This is a very neat feature in pro tools, that I am missing.

So basically this: Want to see the pan envelope for a track? press alt (or whatever) and right/left click on the pan pot=the envelope view is expanded and the pan envelope is shown.

Is this possible currently somehow?
Would be awesome!

thanks
Old 09-14-2022, 06:51 AM   #585
MisterGTR

Quote:
One thing I would love:
Hotkey pressed+mouse click on any parameter (volume/pan/mute/solo)=show envelope for that parameter.

So basically this: Want to see the pan envelope for a track? press alt (or whatever) and right/left click on the pan pot=the envelope view is expanded and the pan envelope is shown.

Would be awesome!

thanks
I use show/hide track envelope for last touched FX parameter as a hot key (Alt+A), would be cool if this extended to width/pan/volume too as last touched.
MisterGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 02:50 PM   #586
studiosus

Yes that would be great,one action should include every last touched Parameter you can automate. Volumen, pan, mute, solo, send levels, all FX parameters. I use that all the time in an other DAW.
studiosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 06:32 AM   #587
the19thbear

Quote:
One thing I would love:

Would be awesome!

thanks
Yes, I just quoted myself, I know - Please make this happen!
Old 11-08-2022, 06:50 PM   #588
dbonejones

Default Post-production polywav editing

Hi ya'll,

This is a post-production question that will evolve into a feature request if needed.

I use Reaper for all things and it shines, especially post.

One thing I can't figure out is if there is some kind of workflow possible where I can open a polywav file (6+ tracks) and do some editing to specific tracks (replacing audio, noise reduction, etc) and then export it again PRESERVING THE ORIGINAL METADATA.

Please enlighten me if you can! Thank you for your help.
Old 11-21-2022, 12:00 PM   #589
chinpou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbonejones View Post
One thing I can't figure out is if there is some kind of workflow possible where I can open a polywav file (6+ tracks) and do some editing to specific tracks (replacing audio, noise reduction, etc) and then export it again PRESERVING THE ORIGINAL METADATA.
Metadata isn't properly preserved through render option "embed: metadata" ?
chinpou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 01:56 PM   #590
airon

A number of requests that are very useful for post production mixers, i.e. re-recording and dubbing mixers, are collected in this thread

More is to come I'm sure.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=268152

Quote:
Old 01-05-2023, 01:10 PM   #591
mattsoule

Default Video Output card playback

I put this in another thread without realizing there was a post thread!

It would immensely help if Reaper was able to play back video through an output card like a Blackmagic Decklink. We are using Reaper at MSG Sphere studios and the facility is outfitted with large screen monitors that are connected via output card. . . meaning it cannot be used as another mac monitor.

This set up is very common. Pro Tools has this workflow option for its video output. But . . .you know. . .like everyone on this forum. . .we don't want to use Pro Tools.
mattsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 10:36 AM   #592
Travesty

Default Thesaurus search.

Moved this into the post thread, I forgot it was here

Soundminer has a feature called Thesaurus search.

This uses a thesaurus to expand the scope of the search terms entered to include synonyms.

This is very useful in libraries where there are multiple contributors or when using libraries from multiple companies. One person's "Stone" is another's "Rock" for example.

I'd suggest we have an option in the media explorer prefs to enable Thesaurus mode.

I'd also suggest that the thesaurus is user editable and shareable, so we can include project specific names which wouldn't be in a normal thesaurus

This would make database searches much more powerful
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 06:56 AM   #593
Phazma

Does Reaper have a feature like the Field Recorder Audio Import in Nuendo or is there a script or tool that works similar to this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_asHdds7tQI
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 10:45 PM   #594
kris.audioplanet

I'm so grateful for the last Beta to include the one function that I found lacking so far, which is the ability to play the movie of a master project, while playing the sub-projects. It helps immensely with my movie scoring. Thank you!
kris.audioplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 10:50 PM   #595
kris.audioplanet

Quote:
One thing I would love:

Would be awesome!

thanks
I looked for it in the mouse modifiers but haven't found it. Very usefull indeed
kris.audioplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 02:50 AM   #596
AnalogDevice

Importing Video with multiple audio tracks
These audio tracks can have mono, stereo or surround channels in them.
This is common when recording multiple audio sources with OBS (obsproject.com).

Currently only the first audio track is being imported.
Old 06-24-2023, 03:46 AM   #597
mrlimbic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogDevice View Post
Importing Video with multiple audio tracks
These audio tracks can have mono, stereo or surround channels in them.
This is common when recording multiple audio sources with OBS (obsproject.com).

Currently only the first audio track is being imported.
A work around is use FFmpeg to extract and combine all audio streams into a single WAV.

The command is a bit complicated but the free version of Vordio has a tool tab "extract audio" which can do it for you. Just drag and drop your video files.
Old 06-30-2023, 03:27 AM   #598
airon

Thank you for the tip. Good reminder to keep Vordio around.
Old 07-06-2023, 06:28 AM   #599
davefuzz

Default [Reascript] Calculate loudness function

When using reaper.CalcMediaSrcLoudness(PCM_source mediasource), beeing able to close the render statistics windows when making the dry-run to loop the function and analyze hundreds of files.

Aplication: mastering dialogue lines for video games.
Objective: make scripts to match the loudness of each line matching a reference file or an array with the loudness detailed. Needs to be very very fast. reaper.NF_AnalyzeTakeLoudness is not an option, too slow.
davefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 07:47 PM   #600
GrizzlyAK

Default Solo linking

Something I've seen in other DAWs that I believe to be missing in Reaper is clicking a solo button on one track and every track that is included in the routing from top to Master ALSO shows Solo.

For example, if I have a bus that has 5 tracks out of 100 routed to it, when I solo the bus, I'd like to see the solo button on those 5 tracks routed to it also light up, along with the Master. It is an important visual confirmation of routing from top to bottom.

I'm working the same project concurrently in parallel in Cubase Pro 12 and Reaper trying to decide which to choose as my primary. After working a while in Cubase setting things up, I'm back in Reaper now and discovered this missing feature. There were others, but also a LOT that I missed from Reaper in Cubase. Another glaring omission in Reaper for me was the absence of multiple Mixer consoles.

I guess you don't know what your missing, until you do. I know there are multiple requests for multiple mix windows, but haven't seen anything about how solo is represented. Anybody else think this is important?
GrizzlyAK is offline   Reply With Quote