Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-19-2008, 05:30 PM   #41
axeman
Human being with feelings

Default good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbranch777 View Post
Hi,

I have read all your posts out there. I am currently using my US-1641 with Sonar 7. I am having issues with latency during overdubs. The machine I am running is plenty powerful, it is an HP.
Anyways it has been suggested to me by a friend that uses the US-1641 to get a seperate USB 2.0 expantion card. I just purchased it today. I will let you all know how that works out. I really want it to work.
Greetings,

Best of luck with it. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if you still need to tune your PC for optimal performance (assuming you haven't already done so). Hopefully TASCAM will also publish an update driver in the near future that will make things a lot better.

Cheers,

Alan
axeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #42
quackmire

Default friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbranch777 View Post
Hi,

I have read all your posts out there. I am currently using my US-1641 with Sonar 7. I am having issues with latency during overdubs. The machine I am running is plenty powerful, it is an HP.
Anyways it has been suggested to me by a friend that uses the US-1641 to get a seperate USB 2.0 expantion card. I just purchased it today. I will let you all know how that works out. I really want it to work.
does your friend overdub successfully/easily?
what issues is he having if any?
quackmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:23 AM   #43
phasingtomsolo

Hey Guys,

I've been using the 1641 and Reaper with success*. I love this unit and Reaper.

I've been working with my drummer for the last few weeks recording a stereo track and 4 mono tracks, running phantom power, he's playing to a click, it's all good. I'm running him a long headphone cable and he's using the headphone jack. I'm monitoring through the monitor outs. the trims are all at like 9 o'clock and they are pounding. I even once left my back up USB drive turned on while tracking and no issues. It wasn't being used at all, just present in the windows environment.

I've also been mixing some old tracks (mostly recorded in Sonar, some on a Roland 880ex, that's how I discovered Reaper) running up to 34 tracks/busses, 10 or so plug ins, all good.

Working on my own stuff using software samplers and midi for drums and key sounds, using the instrument ins for basses, guitars. Everything is fine.

remember that * ?
well here it is :
* One small flaw, that I seem to be able to fix, is with latency every once and a while. Occasionally the Tascam and Reaper seem to slip out of sync. I've noticed this both while over dubbing guitars / vocals etc, and while using midi with my drum machine. I would hit the drum pad and then hear the sound like it was an echo. Same with vocals, sing a bit and hear the "delay".
Anyway, to solve both problems what I do is go into the Options menu, Preferences, and then select either Audio Device, or Midi Device, depending on what the issue is, and then hit OK. All of a sudden things are back to normal. No latency what so ever (noticeable anyway). Another solution is to just save the project and restart Reaper.

I'm using a self built PC,
Antec Solo Tower Case
Antec Neo 500 watt quiet Power supply
2GB (2x1GB) Kingston DDR 2 Low latency 800Mhz RAM Memory
P5B-VM-SE Motherboard
Intel Core2Duo 2MB 1.8Ghz processor
two X Seagate Barricuda 250GB 16Mb 7200rpm hard drives
internal DVD Burner
Windows XP Home with all of musicXP's fine tunings, everything else I could think of deleting from Windows. No Internet. Just Music.

I run the Tascam at Lowest Latency (mixing/recording) and Reaper reports 3/4ms. I record at 48, 24bit. I don't think I made any adjustments to Reapers default settings other than just my own project settings and selecting the audio/midi device.

Using any higher latency settings doesn't jive with Reaper. I think Low Latency setting works too.

I had success with the provided Cubase but I just didn't like it.

If I want to play a 44/16 track in the Win Media player I have to switch the Tascam to High latency. Otherwise crackles and drop outs.

I tried using Sonar and had all of the problems described by you guys, drop outs, jam ups, tried all latency settings, no luck. I even kinda liked that program too. BUT REAPER BLOWS IT AWAY. I'm actually really happy that the 1641 didn't work with it and I tried Reaper, I love it.

I had nightmares with a M Audio Delta 1010LT, but that's a long story. I did a lot of recording with the 1010 and this 1641 sounds way better than that thing. So much warmer ( This isn't usually said about a digital unit,I know ? )

Anyway that's a lot for now...
phasingtomsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:26 AM   #44
axeman

Default very interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasingtomsolo View Post
Hey Guys,

I've been using the 1641 and Reaper with success*. I love this unit and Reaper.

[snip]

remember that * ?
well here it is :
* One small flaw, that I seem to be able to fix, is with latency every once and a while. Occasionally the Tascam and Reaper seem to slip out of sync. I've noticed this both while over dubbing guitars / vocals etc, and while using midi with my drum machine. I would hit the drum pad and then hear the sound like it was an echo. Same with vocals, sing a bit and hear the "delay".
Anyway, to solve both problems what I do is go into the Options menu, Preferences, and then select either Audio Device, or Midi Device, depending on what the issue is, and then hit OK. All of a sudden things are back to normal. No latency what so ever (noticeable anyway). Another solution is to just save the project and restart Reaper.

[snip]

I run the Tascam at Lowest Latency (mixing/recording) and Reaper reports 3/4ms. I record at 48, 24bit. I don't think I made any adjustments to Reapers default settings other than just my own project settings and selecting the audio/midi device.

Using any higher latency settings doesn't jive with Reaper. I think Low Latency setting works too.

[snip]
Greetings,

Very interesting. As of now, you're the only person I've ever seen who has been able to use the US-1641 on its lowest latency setting without incurring dropouts. (In fact, most claim to require keeping it on the highest latency setting and are not using it for any overdubbing whatsoever.) Am curious what makes your deployment so much more successful than average. On the surface, I've performed all the same tuning tips and Internet isolation--although my CPU is Pentium IV (single processor). On a hunch, may I ask how long your USB cable is?

In regard to the one problem you mentioned, I wonder if it is similar to what I posted here:

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18851

I have been practicing a Stick arrangement that I need to record, through REAPER, on a regular basis over the past few weeks. End up eventually experiencing dropouts in most sessions, but they are usually few and far-between (although, since I have yet to record, I can't be sure if they'd affect the actual recording or only monitoring). Coincidentally, without doing anything different, last night's 45-minute session went without a single dropout.

Really odd to hear that you can only achieve success at the lowest latency setting as well. (My original unit actually hung up the PC/TASCAM driver application when I first tried that, although that could have been while I still had an old cable that may not have been up to USB 2.0 spec.)

In any case, if you have any additional insight as to how I might close the gap between my performance and yours (short of replacing my PC), any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot and take care,

Alan
Old 03-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #45
quackmire

Default usb performance

I plan on using the tascam us-1641 on my laptop.

It runs Linux Mint for its OS. But I have a bare XP install inside it running in virtualbox. If that doesn't work I'm going to try it with WIN 2000 which is essentially an ultra bare installation of XP. I tend to think I can make it work, especially since my DAW software has really made all kinds of obscure and finicky hardware work stunningly well.

But! I just wanted everyone to know, that after reading this thread and axeman's other links, I'm DEFINITELY giving REAPER a try. It sounds really cool in alot of ways and I like how progress is made on it daily much like Linux.

BTW, I have heard 1 other person mention in another forum that while they don't overdub often, they haven't had a problems doing so with the 1641.

I think, axeman, you're saying your only problem with it in overdubbing is 1 your latency setting is set high to compensate for usb probs & 2 dropouts due to more of the same usb bandwidth problems. That sounds like something I can work on and ultimately deal with.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #46
axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackmire View Post
I think, axeman, you're saying your only problem with it in overdubbing is 1 your latency setting is set high to compensate for usb probs & 2 dropouts due to more of the same usb bandwidth problems. That sounds like something I can work on and ultimately deal with.
Greetings,

Actually, to clarify:

1. My latency setting is set to "normal" (the middle of five options). If I remember correctly, REAPER reports the effects of that setting as ~4ms/17ms input/output latency. Have been able to adjust to that for the most part. (Any higher is unusable for overdubbing in my opinion and lower settings result in frequent dropouts.)

2. Don't know exactly why the occasional round of dropouts still occur, but it is fairly few and far between (but more than I'd like). Can't be sure some other process isn't the root cause, but I've tried to strip everything down as much as possible.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Alan
Old 03-20-2008, 03:47 PM   #47
quackmire

Default 4ms 17ms

Isn't that actually low for hardware latencies?
I think on my other interface, the aardvark 24/96, that its just a smidgen higher than that on both counts, but the software made it imperceptible during recording.

Thanks for all the good info Axeman!

So to be clear, you're definitely saying the dropouts are far worse when overdubbing. This can be really bad for me, which as member of a one man band I'm always playing against my own tracks, and the first one I laydown is usually against a .wav of some drum machine/metronome.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:18 PM   #48
axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackmire View Post
Isn't that actually low for hardware latencies?
I think on my other interface, the aardvark 24/96, that its just a smidgen higher than that on both counts, but the software made it imperceptible during recording.

Thanks for all the good info Axeman!

So to be clear, you're definitely saying the dropouts are far worse when overdubbing. This can be really bad for me, which as member of a one man band I'm always playing against my own tracks, and the first one I laydown is usually against a .wav of some drum machine/metronome.
My pleasure. Actually to clarify: The act of overdubbing, in and of itself, doesn't seem to have any impact whatsoever--however keeping the latency setting at "normal" (which is the only happy medium between guaranteed dropouts and too much monitoring latency to be able to record overdubs) does still produce the odd series of intermittent dropouts every once in a while. Or, to put it another way, I'm just as likely to experience dropouts if I'm practicing a part for eventual overdubbing (playing against what's already recorded but never actually engaging the recording process) as I am while actually recording--however, I keep the latency setting at "normal" for both, as that's the only way I can play in time and have dropouts kept to a reasonable minimum.

If I ever decide to mix through the US-1641, though, I'll probably just crank up the latency setting to high--as would also be the case if I'm recording a live performance that does not require any sort of monitoring.

I hope this helps.

Take it easy,

Alan
Old 03-25-2008, 03:03 PM   #49
phasingtomsolo

Axeman, my usb cable is the one supplied with the unit. And yes the problem with latency is exactly what you had reported in your other thread. Weirdness.

Last edited by phasingtomsolo; 03-25-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:08 PM   #50
axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasingtomsolo View Post
Axeman, my usb cable is the one supplied with the unit. And yes the problem with latency is exactly what you had reported in your other thread. Weirdness.
Thanks for the clarification. My cable is a little longer, out of necessity, and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with why you can get by with a lower latency setting.

Hopefully we'll both get down to the bottom of the other problem (and soon).

Cheers,

Alan

Last edited by axeman; 03-25-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:23 PM   #51
dropBear

hi fellow us-1641 users,

just bought the unit last week.
preamps sound great.
unfortunately i get artifacts on channel 1 and 2. intermittent but pretty bad. all the other channels are fine. anybody getting something similar? probably just a buggered unit. unfortunately if you live here in australia tascam gives you bugger all support.
as for the latency: as far as i understand reaper tries to compensate for latency based on the latency value the driver reports. the tascam asio driver is a bit confused here it seems and does not know what it's own latency is. You can compensate manually in reaper.
i think it is in options->buffering. at the bottom of the form there's the auto compensation checkbox you have to uncheck and than you gotta do a bit of trial and error to find out how many millisecs of lat you get for your settings. If you have the correct settings latency should be no problem at all (at least for overdubbing; if you use virtual instruments you are in trouble)
hope that helps.

roland
dropBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:17 AM   #52
dropBear

did a bit of experimenting and here's a fix for latency issue:
go to options->preferences->recording
uncheck "use audio driver reported latency"
use 75 ms manual output compensation
this works if you use the highest latency in the asio settings and 44100 khz
i would expect that figure do be inverse to the sampling rate (ie 37.5 ms @ 88200) but have not run any tests so far.
as mentioned in my previous post, this works only for overdubbing; if you use virtual instruments you still have latency

on another note, I get noise at -18 db on channel 1 and 2. static crackle. not white noise but digital artifacts. somewhat intermittent but pretty reliable. Anybody got similar issues or is it just a defective unit? get's worse as i step up the sample rate.

cheers

roland
Old 04-02-2008, 04:50 AM   #53
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropBear View Post
on another note, I get noise at -18 db on channel 1 and 2. static crackle. not white noise but digital artifacts. somewhat intermittent but pretty reliable. Anybody got similar issues or is it just a defective unit? get's worse as i step up the sample rate.
Sounds broken to me. Never noticed that at my unit.
moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:20 AM   #54
axeman

Default sounds like you've got a bad unit there

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropBear View Post
did a bit of experimenting and here's a fix for latency issue:
go to options->preferences->recording
uncheck "use audio driver reported latency"
use 75 ms manual output compensation
this works if you use the highest latency in the asio settings and 44100 khz
i would expect that figure do be inverse to the sampling rate (ie 37.5 ms @ 88200) but have not run any tests so far.
as mentioned in my previous post, this works only for overdubbing; if you use virtual instruments you still have latency

cheers

roland
Hey Roland,

My unit does not suffer from the noise or latency-synchronization issues you're describing. Hate to say it, but I agree with Moss that your unit is most likely defective. (ny chance of getting it swapped out from your vendor?

Cheers,

Alan
Old 04-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #55
dropBear

thanks axemann and moss; reckon you're right. If you don't get the noise it's probably a bad egg. gotta switch it over.

cheers

roland
Old 04-08-2008, 06:28 AM   #56
phasingtomsolo

Something interesting regarding the intermittent slipping into delay mode.

This weekend I imported a bunch of tracks from Sonar into their reaper counterpart projects (I abandoned Sonar for Reaper and continued a project). Now I have all of my individual tracks lined up all in one place. This is a very large number of tracks 40 - 75 per project (I have much editing to do on vocals etc)

So now I am filling in a few blank spots with keyboard parts. Every time I record then press stop if I want to re-record or continue I have to "re-set" the device (as described in my earlier post).

So I thought to myself, perhaps I should start a new project and see what the results are. Back to normal. I'm recording part after part and no slipping!?

So I reckon this issue is related to the number of tracks you have open on a project?

Also with 40 - 75 tracks I am now experiencing drop outs, but only within the first few bars of a project, then everyhing plays smooth and fine.

Last edited by phasingtomsolo; 04-09-2008 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:15 PM   #57
gamazz

Default US 1641 interface

I have been trying to make this work. on my
HP Pavilion dv9700 Notebook PC
4 gig Memory
64 bit operating
Service pack 1
Vista Home Premium

It's doing the same thing. dropping out as well as locking up my browser when its plugged in (USB) . everythings fine when i unplug.
wrote to tascam. thought it my need an updated driver for my computer.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
gamazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:01 PM   #58
gamazz

Default Interesting!!

i started a new project to see if it was going to continue to pop and drop out and it was clean. Only pops and drop outs occur on past project recorded form a different device.(inspire gx1394) whats different????
gamazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #59
sterndrup

Default same problem with tascam us144

i've got the same problem going on right now with a tascam us144 and an hp pavilion laptop 64bit vista home premium.

freeze, artifacts, dropped signals

i updated the drivers and firmware off the tascam site. i also switched to the 64bit reaper version.

some improvement but not enough to be workable
sterndrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #60
Chito

Hi.. I've been lurking around here coz I have a 1641 on order right now and wanted to know about the issues with it.

I think from what I've read, the 1641 does not work with the 64 bit Vista. Hope that helps.
Chito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:06 PM   #61
thesoundfreak

Default I HAVE THE ANSWER

I know exactly what you all have been dealing with. I have a Creative Audigy sound card PCI and a Tascam 1641. When both are enabled I have the problem you are mentioning. If I want to use the Tascam, I have to go to device manager and disable the creative audigy card. I have to do the reverse to use the Audigy. I haven't figured out why I can't have both. I don't know if both are using the same memory address or something with the way Windows deals with audio.

My Dell laptop running Vista does the same thing. If I disable the sound card I still get the intermittent pops. I believe its not completely disabling the sound card. There isn't anything in the BIOS to let me turn it off.

Let me know if this helps.
thesoundfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:58 AM   #62
retrorobert

Default Monitoring and USB

hi there,

i'm a new user with the 1641 as well and this is the best support thread i've found, great info here!

for the Dell users, although Dell claims all USB ports are 2.0, it's not necessarily true. i'm using a Dell XPS 420 with 8 USB ports and 2 of them are USB ver1. found this out the hard way, but still, you may want to check your usb ports and make sure the port in use with the 1641 is 2.0

axeman noted:

"So, for all intents and purposes, all record-monitoring pretty much has to be done through REAPER (or another DAW of some kind)."

i'm glad axeman posted that, because i think it's a serious flaw that instruments cannot be monitored on the hardware. i tried for an hour to monitor a stereo signal (keyboard connect into 9-10, keyboard only connected to the "stereo input" on 9 which is documented in the manual)

to no avail, i could not monitor a stereo signal off the unit, or record a full mix off the mixer back into the 1641. (e.g., record midi and audio tracks back into the soundcard)

if anyone has done the above...i'm all ears =)
retrorobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:47 AM   #63
TechMelon

Default Try This

If you are running Windows XP these things should resolve your problem. If you are running Windows Vista you may not have the correct Vista drivers loaded because with all things Microsoft they want their software relationships to be Microsoft dominant.

1. Make sure that there are no network connections of any kind enabled. (especially the 1394 network connection which you can simply right click on in the network connections window on a PC.

2. Make sure that you are using the latest drivers and try setting the latency to 10ms and work you way down from there.

3. Check the ASIO settings and software. Make sure that the previous interface ASIO driver is not installed.

Most of the timing and pausing problems are also created when you have automatic updates turned on on any applications that run in the background i.e. Windows updates, Virus Protection/internet security programs, etc.

Last edited by TechMelon; 05-15-2009 at 06:52 AM. Reason: left something out.
TechMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #64
kylevaughan

Default dunno if this helps

but i was having a big problem with this tascam unit, and i dontt use reaper i use sony acid 6.0, but my problem was latency noise and jsut plain freezing. however i did alot of trial and error before presuming my unit was defective. and this is whati figured out ( for me anyway) even tho my tascam firmware is V1.02 if i use the 1.02 driver i get all the forementioned problems , however if i use driver V1.00 which came on the cd, the unit works flawlessly. if tried this on different computers and different setups, and i double checked my firmware version and its definately 1.02 so my conclusion is that the 1.02 driver for windows is crap. at least when working with acid. so try this to solve your problems. get rid of 1,02 and get 1,00 install that driver and see what happens. like i said it worked fine for me after i did this. so hopefully it will work for you too. btw my system is an acer aspire 5535 laptop 3G ram 2.0 GHz athlon 64 processor. and im running windows xp media center edition. and its all working smooth now. even tried it with my band and was able to record a popless performance that was over 1 and a half hours long with no problems. no noise hiss pop clicks or anything it jsut worked. so try that out hopefully it helps!
kylevaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:41 AM   #65
ToadBoy

Default Intermittent Popping and IE Browser Crashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamazz View Post
I have been trying to make this work. on my
HP Pavilion dv9700 Notebook PC
4 gig Memory
64 bit operating
Service pack 1
Vista Home Premium

It's doing the same thing. dropping out as well as locking up my browser when its plugged in (USB) . everythings fine when i unplug.
wrote to tascam. thought it my need an updated driver for my computer.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
Did you ever find a solution to this? The same thing happens to me when I'm using the US-1641 as a sound card. I have the latest v1.02 drivers as I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium. 64-Bit on a Gateway AMD Athlon 64, 320 GB HDD, 4 GB Memory. Most importantly, it works fine when I'm running it through Cubase Studio 4. Probably due to the ASIO4ALL driver I'm using. But when I run Cubase in the background and try to pull up itunes or IE browser, it pops and crashes. I'm figuring its the driver for Windows Vista 64 (v1.02). I've also setup an account to optimize windows for recording and the same thing happens.

I know it works fine when I use Cubase, but I don't want it to crash when i use itunes or IE explorer and I don't want to have to switch speakers.

Please help...
ToadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:05 PM   #66
Brodephat

Default Tascam US-1641 Good and Bad

I got the us1641 almost a year ago and it worked very well. I've even done several live band sessions with it. However lately, it's been really buggin out. I use Nuendo and now my cpu meter starts out at around 50%!!! I will say this ... you can't beat having a dedicated PCI audio card compared to USB and Firewire. I switched my session, I was so desperately trying to complete to no avail, to my trusty old M-audio 24/96 and was blown away by the fact the cpu meter barely got past 50%!!!! FOR THE SAME PROJECT IN THE SAME SOFTWARE!!!

It's truly a driver issue that I hope they get worked out. If not I'll be looking for a PCI card with breakout cables. So don't trash your systems just yet. More than likely it could be a driver issue with the us1641.

By the way, I use Reaper at work and have really come to enjoy working with it.
Brodephat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:19 AM   #67
uppvideo

Default Where is the TASCAM representative?

I'm also having these same problems, my brand new quad-core 8GB Ram DELL is completely devastated as long as the TASCAM 1641 is plugged in...

My other audio programs, VLC, Winamp, etc all crash at random times when the TAscam is plugged in.

My browsers all crash the second there is any hint of Flash for some reason.

Reaper crashes sporadically, albeit not TOO often, but I've certainly lost a few recordings due to completely random crashes...

The computer runs perfectly when the TASCAM isn't plugged in...

I assume the driver is the problem, but I looked everywhere to try and see if perhaps there was a conflict with my NVIDIA GT 220 Card, because the crashes are be the most frequent when I play any sort of video. If it's Flash on the web, it's a 100% fail rate, within 1 second of starting the video. IF I watch a video on my HDD using VLC or Windows Media Player, it will hiss and pop, but only crash 1/10 times.

Truly, the mixer has great sound, but I can't believe how weak the support has been... The best is their driver page, where I can download Release Notes for drivers v1.03, but the only driver available is v1.02.

I wonder if there will ever be a way to ever be able to watch Flash on my computer ever again.
uppvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:48 PM   #68
murray-j

Default Use ASIO4ALL Driver

After following this thread with much interest, I tried the latest ASIO4ALL driver with my Tascam US-1641. It's like night and day - the latest version of the Tascam driver didn't work well at all, but what a difference with ASIO4ALL! Down to 2.5 msec latency with no issues at all.

If you're struggling with the Tascam driver then please do yourself a favour...

Murray
murray-j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #69
jawshoeuh

Default Area Tascam US-1641 To Receive a Righteous Beatdown

I've been using my US-1641 for nearly a year. I have been dealing with a drop out problem on and off since I've had it. I can handle it with playback, but having a hang-up or drop out during recording kills me. I can't focus and get a good take when I'm in constant fear of the computer hanging on me and throwing off the track.

Some info:
I'm running on a Dell Inspiron e1505 with 2gb ram and a 2.53 ghz dual core and a single USB2.0 hub system with 4 inputs

I usually have a USB wireless mouse and external hard drive hooked up

I've tried FL Studio, the Tascam included Cubase, and Reaper for multi-tracking; they all experience the same problem

I usually run the 'input/computer' mix volume about 1/4 - 1/2 way up from 'input' and adjust by ear depending on the track volume and instrumentation- I don't try and monitor from Reaper due to the latency issues I was experiencing

I Run the 'phones out' on the US-1641 into a separate headphone mixer for monitoring

I generally am tracking drums using 8 channels to a scratch guitar/vocal WAV track; tracks 5-8 using phantom power

I've spent a long time trying to track the problem down with little success. Sometimes I'm able to record 3-5 takes of drums on a full song 3-7 minutes long with no drop outs. Sometimes I can't get through one take without multiple drops. I've been following this thread and trying different things and I've had some inconsistent successes.

First: I switched to the ASIO4ALL driver from the US1641 driver. This made a huge difference. I tested recording 1-3 inputs at a time and overdubbing several takes... I adjusted latency and buffer settings in ASIO throughout the process and got differing results, mostly positive. Few if any dropouts on most settings.

Today I tried hooking up mics to 7 channels and tracking drums and my drop out problem was back in full force. I played with latency and buffer settings and experienced drop outs on all settings I tried. Could not fix.

I rolled my us1641 drivers back to the 1.00 version from the 1.02. Seemed to have more success, but still experiencing occasional dropouts during recording on all buffer/latency settings tested.

I rebooted the computer minus my USB mouse and USB external hard drive.

Loaded reaper and recorded 3-4 takes of drums with no drop outs. Plugged USB mouse back in and recorded another take with no drop outs. Plugged USB external hard drive back in and again recorded another take with no drop outs. Loaded a project file FROM my external hard drive and attempted to record a take and drop outs had returned. Closed project and loaded previous project from C: drive. Drop outs still occurring. Safely remove my external hard drive from system and unplug. Drop outs still occurring. Reboot my computer AGAIN with NO mouse, NO hard drive and proceed to record some 8 odd more takes of drums on various projects all located on my C: drive with absolutely no drop outs during recording. HOWEVER listening back to these takes and the drops out started to occur during playback ONLY. Recording seemed to be safe.

I'm going to drop my ASIO buffer settings down to 512 from 1024 as I have a feeling that the lower buffer will cure the playback issues, but will it then mess up the recording again?

So some possible solutions:

*Reboot your machine with no other USB devices plugged in
*Switch to the ASIO4ALL drivers in the 'Audio Device' menu in reaper's preferences
*Rollback or reinstall the US1641 v1.00 driver from the included CD from Tascam and don't use the v1.02 update from their website
*Try all different buffer/latency settings... as reported, sometimes higher latencies cause problems; sometimes lower latencies cause problems... has to be a happy medium somewhere I think.

If I can potentially get everything working optimally when no other USB devices are plugged in I plan on getting an extra USB2.0 card installed (if my laptop has room for it that is... hadn't thought about that yet) and seeing if I can then run the US-1641 on its own USB 2.0 card and plug my mouse and hard drives back in to the laptop's proprietary USB inputs... And hopefully record to my external hard drive and not to my C drive.

This has been a long, drawn out, pain in the arse process and it makes me long for the days of my 8 track cassette recorder. As much as I love editing and working from my computer, I think when it comes down to it I will get a stand alone unit for tracking next time around and then dump to the computer for editing/mixing/mastering.

On another note, I LOVE Reaper. It is easily the most user friendly, stable DAW environment I have used and I would take it over some of the much more expensive software I've used in different studios (ProTools, Nuendo, Cubase, Logic, etc). It really is that good.
jawshoeuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:52 AM   #70
Chito

Is there anyone here who has used the US1641 on a separate USB 2.0 port in a pci/express card instead of what is supplied in your computers? From what I understand most problems with latency/pops/crackles has to do with other devices using the same internal usb hub as the US1641. Most PCs have 4-6 usb ports but they are all from the "hub" so the USB bandwidth is shared among the devices.
Chito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #71
secondguesser

Default TASCAM 1641 with Ableton Live 8 and Windows7

Hi all. I did a bunch of research online over the past two months about various problems associated with using the TASCAM 1641, mostly with Windows and 64-bit OS. I finally bit the bullet and gave it a rip myself. I had absolutely no problems.

For those interested, I posted my setup and some tips on my blog here:
http://www.behrmannprojekt.com/blog/...-on-windows-7/
secondguesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #72
caotico

Default bought one to attempt live sound

I know this is kind of an older thread, but i bought one of these to try it for live sound with my firewireless laptop. Haven't tried it with a band and pa yet, but, using win 7 32 bit, I installed the drivers and updated the firmware.

I didn't like the way that the included drivers dealt with latency (by having just a few categories), so I tried asio4all. With provided asio drivers, I was getting what seemed like dropouts (moments of silence). With asio4all, I was getting jittery sounds from 96 samples all the way up to 512.

SOLUTION: I enabled both pre-zero asio buffer (if that's what it's called) and ignore asio reset messages. Voila. 96 samples with asio4all running smooth and providing 2.9/2.9 latency.

EDIT: I mistook. That was ~2.1/2.1ms latency according to Reaper.

Last edited by caotico; 10-29-2010 at 10:43 AM.
caotico is offline   Reply With Quote