Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
Bearcub
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper automatically loops during midi recordings

Hey!

I love Reaper, but I'm having problems with the midi part. When I do midi I always wanna record in the overdub mode, which allows me to play something on the keyboard, mess up royally, just trim the end off the midi data where I messed up, and then punch in on the same track from where I messed up.

The problem is, after I press record to punch in and it's playing back my take 1, once it goes beyond the END of take 1 on the timeline, reaper starts creating data again. It should just be blank, but reaper creates the old midi notes that is in the first take all over again. So I basically get two takes on top of each other, the new stuff I'm trying to play, and the old one that reaper is looping during my take 2.

Is there anyway to disable this kind of looping during record?

Hopes it makes sense to someone!

Thanks!
Bearcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Welcome to the forums!

Right-click the record button and make sure you're in "Record mode: Normal" and not "Record mode: time selection auto punch" if you want Reaper to reuse the trimmed item.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
Bearcub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steindork View Post
Welcome to the forums!

Right-click the record button and make sure you're in "Record mode: Normal" and not "Record mode: time selection auto punch" if you want Reaper to reuse the trimmed item.

Thanks!

But I was always in "record mode: normal", and it doesn't affect it.

Maybe this helps explain what's going on: Reaper only creates the loop of the midifile when I press record while the cursor is on the first take (which of course I need to do if I want to listen back from a bar or so and punch in to continue the musical phrase). It does't matter if I touch the midi keyboard or not, when I hit record while it's on take 1 reaper just creates the loop of the old take after take 1 ends, just as if I had dragged the midi file out to duplicate/reapat it.

It's almost as if reaper confuses the recording with me dragging/extending the midi file, and therefore loops it.

This is an annoying problem that only seemed to appeaar after upgrading to version 3. Strange!
Old 06-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
Ollie

How do you "trim" the item? By dragging the right edge back to the left? This doesn't actually trim the item and results in the behavior you describe (also in 2.5x), the events recorded before show up again as the item extends again. Cut/split the item and remove the superfluous part instead or delete the wrong events in the ME, that should work.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:06 AM   #5
Bearcub

Quote:
How do you "trim" the item? By dragging the right edge back to the left? This doesn't actually trim the item and results in the behavior you describe (also in 2.5x), the events recorded before show up again as the item extends again. Cut/split the item and remove the superfluous part instead or delete the wrong events in the ME, that should work.

Well, i did trim the item (the wrong notes) by deleting them in the midi editor before take 2. And the looping even seems to happen on tracks that haven't been trimmed.

Also, the problem isn't that the last notes of take 1 (the messed up notes) reappear after a trim, the problem is that reaper loops take 1 from the beginning of that take.

It just happens everytime I do another take and press record while the cursor is on the old take. If i press record after the old take, the looping doesn't occur, but I can't really do that since I need to hear some of the old take before punching in.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:29 AM   #6
Ollie

Ah sorry, I think I get it now. Are you talking about this?

I never get this when I create the item by simply starting to record as usual because "Loop item source" is disabled for some reason then. If you insert a new MIDI item before recording, it comes with "Loop item source" on or off, depending on this preferences option:

So if you uncheck "Enable loop source..." in the prefs or uncheck "Loop item source" in the item settings menu (F2) this funny loop tail (which is probably a remainder of a previously removed bug) won't come up during recording.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:42 AM   #7
Bearcub

Thanks, Yeah that image looks like what's happening. But I tried to disable those boxes yesterday and it didn't make any difference, at least not on the miditrack that was already recorded. It still looped itself during recording of take2 as usual.

I haven't tried to disable those 2 boxes *before* I even record take 1 (followed by take2), but I can try that later and see if that makes a difference. I'd prefer not having to redo my take1 though.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:17 AM   #8
Ollie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcub View Post
I haven't tried to disable those 2 boxes *before* I even record take 1 (followed by take2), but I can try that later and see if that makes a difference. I'd prefer not having to redo my take1 though.
Yes, the preferences checkboxes have to be set before you record. But you can change existing items after the fact by selecting them and hitting F2 for the item properties and unchecking "Loop source" or right-clicking the item and unselecting 'Item settings->Loop item source', so no need to redo your take.

Last edited by Ollie; 06-12-2009 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Oopsie :)
Old 06-12-2009, 03:39 AM   #9
Bearcub

Quote:
Yes, the preferences checkboxes have to be set before you record. But you can change existing items after the fact by selecting them and hitting F2 for the item properties and unchecking "Loop source" or right-clicking the item and selecting 'Item settings->Loop item source', so no need to redo your take.

Thank you! I'll try that when I get home.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:56 AM   #10
Bearcub

Quote:
Yes, the preferences checkboxes have to be set before you record. But you can change existing items after the fact by selecting them and hitting F2 for the item properties and unchecking "Loop source" or right-clicking the item and unselecting 'Item settings->Loop item source', so no need to redo your take.
Brilliant! This post solved the problem! Thanks a lot for the help Steindork, I appreciate it.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #11
drumzzzzz

Ditto on the thankyou, was scratching my head with the same problem!
drumzzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #12
Shmezbot

Default +2 on the thank you

Thanks a bundle, Ollie. I just spent 2 hrs reading the forums and the manual regarding this, knew the answer had to be here somewhere.

Managing settings in this software could definitely be made more intuitive!
Shmezbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:27 PM   #13
themixtape

Resurrecting this old thread... I'm running into a similar problem.

I do have Loop source enabled in Preferences, but I want that... I don't want to have to Glue the items first, when I drag them out (trim the right edge).

See this Licecap:

http://chriscaulder.net/midi/Maschine.gif

What I like to do, is Ableton-style live looping using time selection loops.. I make a beat on tracks 1 and 2... track 3 is bass, 4 is other synth thing..

See that I made a bunch of tracks... in the first two bars. Then in my new time selection (later on), recording into Track 1 (same way I did before) makes all the other (unarmed tracks, mind you) trim out to the end of my new time selection (after the time selection loops around).

This happens even if Preferences has the Loop New MIDI items set to OFF. They still trim out, just as you see in the .gif.

Wtf?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 12-04-2020, 04:40 AM   #14
Wills01

Default A bug...

I have the same problem, and i see, as usual with Reaper, there is some ideas to avoid this problem... but, for me it is clearly a bug. It is not normal that when we switch off « loopin attribute » for an item, in the item properties menu, Reaper still maintain it... I open a thread in the bug report on this...
Wills01 is online now   Reply With Quote