Old 01-12-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
jorgedro
Human being with feelings

Default Clicks when recording

Hi guys, a while ago i had to format my pc and since then i get clicks when i record in reaper, my buffer is high enough so i dont think thats the problem. I have a LEXICON OMEGA (interface), WINDOWS 10, and installed ASIO4ALL. I cant figure out whats the problem, because like i said before formatting i was able to use it just fine (and i dont think its incompatibility between my interface and windows 10 because in the official site it sais it works on w10). Thanks in advance. oh and sound works perfectly except on reaper
jorgedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:20 PM   #2
Coachz

What is your buffer set at ?

How many tracks are you recording on and playing at once ?

What is your RT CPU showing in View / Performance Meter ? Right click to show RT CPU.

What are you settings in Prefs / Audio / Buffering ? Can you post a screenshot ?
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:43 PM   #3
jorgedro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
What is your buffer set at ?

How many tracks are you recording on and playing at once ?

What is your RT CPU showing in View / Performance Meter ? Right click to show RT CPU.

What are you settings in Prefs / Audio / Buffering ? Can you post a screenshot ?
My buffer is set at 512.

Im sorry, i get clicks when im PLAYING BACK audio(just one track).

when recording and also on playback RT CPU doesnt go higher than 1.5%
Attached Images
File Type: png Sin título.png (35.9 KB, 141 views)
Old 01-12-2019, 10:50 PM   #4
JamesPeters

Why are you using ASIO4ALL and not the manufacturer-specific driver for the device (download here)? ASIO4ALL should never be a person's first choice for a driver. If it happens to do something you consider necessary that the manufacturer's own driver can't do, and you want to deal with the limits of ASIO4ALL (a third-party "driver" that wraps the Windows driver to make it seem like ASIO)...well in that case do so with my blessing. But you wouldn't be the first person to have issues with ASIO4ALL.

If the manufacturer-specific ASIO driver doesn't work so well, try WASAPI second. ASIO4ALL should be your last choice, not your first choice.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:11 AM   #5
Coachz

Yes as the fine James Peter says go get the manufacturers driver and download that and report back
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:55 PM   #6
jorgedro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Yes as the fine James Peter says go get the manufacturers driver and download that and report back
It's funny u guys mention that because i already tried using the omegas driver but it makes it 100 times worse, i dont know if i can even call that a recording.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:03 PM   #7
Fabian

I don't really know about the Lexicon Omega, but I do know the Lexicon Lambda, and it is definitely the case that (for me, W7x64) using ASIO4ALL instead of the native drivers works much better. I can go lower buffer size, and I measure less jitter. The drivers for the Lexicon Lambda are amazingly bad. It would not surprise me if the Omega uses the same drivers.

So... try WASAPI (it doesn't work for me on my W7x64 machine, but ASIO4ALL works great). If that does not work, show your ASIO4ALL advanced panel, let's see if we can get something out of that.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #8
JamesPeters

Try a different USB port. Some owners of that device have said it doesn't work well with some USB ports on their system but it works fine with others. Maybe it prefers strictly USB 2 instead of USB 3, for instance. I've had that issue with another device.

And if that doesn't work, apparently it works well in Linux so maybe switch your OS.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #9
jorgedro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
I don't really know about the Lexicon Omega, but I do know the Lexicon Lambda, and it is definitely the case that (for me, W7x64) using ASIO4ALL instead of the native drivers works much better. I can go lower buffer size, and I measure less jitter. The drivers for the Lexicon Lambda are amazingly bad. It would not surprise me if the Omega uses the same drivers.

So... try WASAPI (it doesn't work for me on my W7x64 machine, but ASIO4ALL works great). If that does not work, show your ASIO4ALL advanced panel, let's see if we can get something out of that.
Nope, wasapi work like omegas driver so...pretty bad.
Attached Images
File Type: png sdf.png (51.1 KB, 295 views)
File Type: png Sin título.png (59.4 KB, 113 views)
Old 01-13-2019, 01:24 PM   #10
JamesPeters

Have you tried reducing the buffer size (lower than 512)? It's possible that the device might perform better with a reduced buffer size (as long as it's not too small).
Old 01-13-2019, 01:33 PM   #11
jorgedro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Have you tried reducing the buffer size (lower than 512)? It's possible that the device might perform better with a reduced buffer size (as long as it's not too small).
Yeah i just tried that again with 256 and 128 and it doesnt work.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #12
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgedro View Post
Nope, wasapi work like omegas driver so...pretty bad.
Those setting look the same as mine, except that I only have one entry "USB Audio Device". The extra entries you have there... where do they come from? Maybe those cause the problem?

It looks as if they are disabled, but still it looks strange. Comparing to what it looks like here, you should have only a single USB Audio Device entry with 2 out and 4 in, like the one you have selected, but those other two...?

And yeah, what James said, try different USB ports.

BTW, I still use ASIO4ALL 2.13. Maybe you could try that one.

But then... the problem could of course be W10, people have had quite some issues with W10.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:06 PM   #13
jorgedro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Try a different USB port. Some owners of that device have said it doesn't work well with some USB ports on their system but it works fine with others. Maybe it prefers strictly USB 2 instead of USB 3, for instance. I've had that issue with another device.

And if that doesn't work, apparently it works well in Linux so maybe switch your OS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Those setting look the same as mine, except that I only have one entry "USB Audio Device". The extra entries you have there... where do they come from? Maybe those cause the problem?

It looks as if they are disabled, but still it looks strange. Comparing to what it looks like here, you should have only a single USB Audio Device entry with 2 out and 4 in, like the one you have selected, but those other two...?

And yeah, what James said, try different USB ports.

BTW, I still use ASIO4ALL 2.13. Maybe you could try that one.

But then... the problem could of course be W10, people have had quite some issues with W10.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, changing the usb port from 3.0 to 2.0 did the work...idk why i didnt thought about that haha...

To be honest w10 has given a lot of troubles and im a little scared to switch to linux because compatibility and stuff...maybe w7 can be another way to go.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:25 PM   #14
JamesPeters

I was kidding about Linux. I'd noticed that the drivers in Linux reportedly work well, during a search about your audio device. And I use Linux. So I just made a joke. It works well for me. Not everyone wants to use Linux...

Glad the USB port tip helped! I found that frustrating too, with a Steinberg UR22 I think. Everyone was saying "USB 3 is 100% backwards compatible though!" yeah sure it is. I've even had printers, USB drives etc. not be compatible.

Now that it's working maybe try the Lexicon driver (and WASAPI) again. They might provide better performance, or lower latency. Can't hurt to try.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:47 AM   #15
Mcgiver69

Another tip would be to disable your main card's output to stop it competing with the Lexicon (Specially while using Asio4All in Win10). Seen so many people posting about this and the only solution of clicks, pops and dropouts is to disable the main card output. If you need to use it for normal stuff then just enable it again but remember to disable it before using your Omega.
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:00 PM   #16
genesound

I've found that some devices that use USB2 don't work right on USB3 ports. I have a MOTU midi express XT that does not work right on an USB3 port, but works fine when connected to USB2, even with a USB2 hub. OTOH the Helix Rack (a USB2 device) works fine on the USB3 port.

Last edited by genesound; 10-05-2019 at 09:47 PM.
genesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:25 AM   #17
Icchan

My 5 cents: USB is a cancer that should have never been used for professional audio interfaces.

Everything about USB is ill suited for real time requirements. And no, the bandwidth of the connection isn't the problem, it's the IRQ's, connection being shared between devices on the same USB-bus, and USB-root devices rarely being directly coupled to the CPU in almost any system.

Not to talk about the software stack that's completely un-optimal for real time performance, yeah...

I stay as far away from them as I possibly can.

Yeah, they're cheap... but that's their only salvation
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote