Old 09-06-2014, 07:55 AM   #1
Mister36
Human being with feelings

Default Arm all automation envelopes?

I have searched the manual, forums, and the internet generally, but cannot find how to arm all automation envelopes (without clicking every single checkbox manually).

This Wiki page seems to show that the envelopes window should have an "Arm all" command button. But mine (v4.721) only has "Arm all visible". Even the actions list only has "Automation: Unarm all envelopes"!

I feel like I'm just missing something, a preference option or am looking in the wrong place, but I have several plugins with a LOT of parameters and I would just like the freedom to tweak and automate any of them without first having to find and arm the right envelopes.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Mister36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #2
msmucr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister36 View Post
I have searched the manual, forums, and the internet generally, but cannot find how to arm all automation envelopes (without clicking every single checkbox manually).

This Wiki page seems to show that the envelopes window should have an "Arm all" command button. But mine (v4.721) only has "Arm all visible". Even the actions list only has "Automation: Unarm all envelopes"!

I feel like I'm just missing something, a preference option or am looking in the wrong place, but I have several plugins with a LOT of parameters and I would just like the freedom to tweak and automate any of them without first having to find and arm the right envelopes.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Hi Mister,

check SWS extensions and its action S&M "Arm all active envelopes for selected tracks", and of course disarm one.
And with plugins it shouldn't be necessary, if you switch track automation mode to touch, write or latch mode.. Any plugin control change, will be automatically written to corresponding automation lane. Without activating parameter first. That is, how i use it.
Also check action "FX: Show/hide track envelope for last touched FX parameter", it can be mapped to keystroke and elegantly used for quick adding of new automation lane for last touched plugin control when you are working in standard trim/read automation mode.

Michal
msmucr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:57 AM   #3
Mister36

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Hi Mister,

check SWS extensions and its action S&M "Arm all active envelopes for selected tracks", and of course disarm one.
And with plugins it shouldn't be necessary, if you switch track automation mode to touch, write or latch mode.. Any plugin control change, will be automatically written to corresponding automation lane. Without activating parameter first. That is, how i use it.
Also check action "FX: Show/hide track envelope for last touched FX parameter", it can be mapped to keystroke and elegantly used for quick adding of new automation lane for last touched plugin control when you are working in standard trim/read automation mode.

Michal
Thank you so much, Michal. It was one of those moments where I thought I'd tried everything and was getting thoroughly confused (as I was pretty sure it couldn't be so hard to record some automation), but must have only tried this mode when something else wasn't right because when I got chance to try again (just now), latch mode works like a charm!

Thanks again.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:16 AM   #4
msmucr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister36 View Post
Thank you so much, Michal. It was one of those moments where I thought I'd tried everything and was getting thoroughly confused (as I was pretty sure it couldn't be so hard to record some automation), but must have only tried this mode when something else wasn't right because when I got chance to try again (just now), latch mode works like a charm!

Thanks again.
You are welcome. I'm glad it works for you.
Just small hint for automation (maybe you already know it), which i usually toggle according to situation.
There is setting in Preferences/Editing Behavior/Automation ->
"Add transition point when recording automation while playback is stopped"

This controls, whether automation curve between new point and last point is straight line, or there is automatically created step right before new point.
Straight line is great for instance, when you create smooth transition between sections or smooth panoramas with ReaSurround and it will save you deletion of one point. Contrary step is good, when is suitable to change some parameter right at one moment.. eg. start of chorus in song.

Michal
msmucr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:18 AM   #5
Mister36

Thanks! Good tip. I had seen this, but haven't used automation in REAPER enough yet to know how I'd work with it (I usually use Maschine and do automation inside it).
Old 03-10-2019, 02:29 PM   #6
Jules.W

Hi Both,

I have the same problem, few years after.

I use the last version of reaper but I don't find a way to always arm all plugin enveloppe.

I try your technic but it arm "all the active envelopes" and only those who are activates...

And I don't know how to activate all of them without clicing in each little checkbox of each track...

Any tips?
Many thanks.
Jules.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:46 AM   #7
Jules.W

Ho thanks you for your reply, could you help me to show me the way to enter this code line?

I don't know how to deal with codes in Reaper.

Many thanks.
Jules
Old 03-13-2019, 09:27 AM   #8
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules.W View Post
Ho thanks you for your reply, could you help me to show me the way to enter this code line?

I don't know how to deal with codes in Reaper.

Many thanks.
Jules
Copy the attached Lua file to your REAPER Scripts folder, e.g., on Windows, "C:\Users\<your-name>\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Scripts".
In REAPER open Actions window, click Load button, select the lua file, click OK. Click Run button to run the script.
Optionally add a keyboard shortcut to it.

It should activate and arm all envelopes (even if not visible) on the selected tracks.

NOTE, if envelopes are not arm'd when shown after being hidden see this thread.

Last edited by Edgemeal; 11-08-2020 at 08:51 AM.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:06 AM   #9
Jules.W

Ok thank you for your help.

I tried the script but It was the same as before.
It activate only visible envelopes...

I would like to be sure that all the pamrametters of my track are always activate. Otherwise, I cannont record setting automation with my mouse directly on the plugin.

Any other idea?
Many thanks
Old 03-14-2019, 09:07 AM   #10
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules.W View Post
Otherwise, I cannont record setting automation with my mouse directly on the plugin.
There's a setting in Preferences (-> Editing behaviour) -> Automation -> 'Automatically add envelopes when tweaking parameters in automation write modes'.

Does this help / do what you're looking for?
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #11
Danijel Milosevic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
Copy the attached Lua file to your REAPER Scripts folder, e.g., on Windows, "C:\Users\<your-name>\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Scripts".
In REAPER open Actions window, click Load button, select the lua file, click OK. Click Run button to run the script.
Optionally add a keyboard shortcut to it.

It should activate and arm all envelopes (even if not visible) on the selected tracks.

NOTE, if envelopes are not arm'd when shown after being hidden see this thread.
Hi Edgemeal, thanks for this script!
I have the same problem as Jules - it only arms the already activated envelopes. (And yes I have "Allow Writing Automation" checked in the Prefs).

I don't know anything about LUA, but I have a hunch that that reaper.CountTrackEnvelopes and reaper.GetTrackEnvelope work only with already active envelopes... I tried digging through the API, but didn't find any similar functions :'(
Danijel Milosevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:55 AM   #12
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danijel Milosevic View Post
Hi Edgemeal, thanks for this script!
I have the same problem as Jules - it only arms the already activated envelopes. (And yes I have "Allow Writing Automation" checked in the Prefs).
I have no clue why it doesn't work for some of you.
FWIW, In a recent REAPER update (v5.978? I forget) they fixed an issue where some of the envelope elements didn't get redrawn so was able to remove the workaround code, and also changed it to make the envelopes visible.

BTW, the only envelopes that don't get activated and armed for me are the non-visible ones that also don't have any points added to them.

Last edited by Edgemeal; 11-08-2020 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:38 PM   #13
Danijel Milosevic

Quote:
BTW, the only envelopes that don't get activated and armed for me are the non-visible ones that also don't have any points added to them.

What I need is actually exactly that. I wanna be able to insert a new plugin, and have all envelopes activated and armed without me needing to do anyting. It would be great to have that totally automatically (I basically need that for every plugin and control), but I don't mind using an action to do it, after inserting a new plugin.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:42 PM   #14
Danijel Milosevic

Most long-form film mixers work that way - you have your plugins on your tracks, and you want them "locked" to prevent any accidental change. When you actually want to make a change, you use Latch or Latch Preview automation modes.

In Pro Tools, when I add a track, or a new plugin, I do a short Write pass at the beginning of the project, so that PT makes an initial automation point for every single parameter control.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:00 PM   #15
Edgemeal

Not sure if this helps?
Add and arm param envelopes for focused FX.

Last edited by Edgemeal; 04-13-2022 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:29 PM   #16
airon

The posted scripts should be all you need.

I know EXACTLY what you‘re talking about Danijel. I mix dialogue a lot in Reaper. I keep specific parameters activated and armed, storing them in track templates for ready use, all learned to specific controls.

But when I need to add a plugin and everything has to be locked down across the session, I use a script similar to what was posted here. I wrote a script that just activates and arms everything on selected tracks.

If the posted scripts aren‘t enough, I‘ll post my simplistic one later when I get back to my rig. The focused fx script looks interesting.

Note to the Reaper devs: The envelope window is crap for mass activation and arming.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:45 AM   #17
Danijel Milosevic

Quote:
Not sure if this helps?
Add and arm param envelopes for focused FX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
The posted scripts should be all you need.
Right! Thanks guys, this works on my end! Ohhhh, this will save me a lot of clicking
Quote:
I keep specific parameters activated and armed, storing them in track templates for ready use, all learned to specific controls.

But when I need to add a plugin and everything has to be locked down across the session, I use a script similar to what was posted here. I wrote a script that just activates and arms everything on selected tracks.

If the posted scripts aren‘t enough, I‘ll post my simplistic one later when I get back to my rig. The focused fx script looks interesting.
Yes, I also made some track templates with armed EQ and COMP. And with Edgemeals script, I am pretty good, but it would be great if you can share your script for arming everything accross the selected tracks when you get the time! I am thrilled to see the code, I used to work as a programmer during highschool.... It's been 20 yrs since that

Also, I wanna say thank you Airon - I realize you're pushing Reaper development to be more suitable for post for years now, and I probably wouldn't be able to switch from PT were there not for your FRs, posts, etc. If you are ever in Budapest, let me know, I wanna buy you a lemonade!
Old 06-27-2019, 03:03 AM   #18
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danijel Milosevic View Post
Right! Thanks guys, this works on my end! Ohhhh, this will save me a lot of clicking

Yes, I also made some track templates with armed EQ and COMP. And with Edgemeals script, I am pretty good, but it would be great if you can share your script for arming everything accross the selected tracks when you get the time! I am thrilled to see the code, I used to work as a programmer during highschool.... It's been 20 yrs since that

Also, I wanna say thank you Airon - I realize you're pushing Reaper development to be more suitable for post for years now, and I probably wouldn't be able to switch from PT were there not for your FRs, posts, etc. If you are ever in Budapest, let me know, I wanna buy you a lemonade!
Thanks . Our collective groping, whining, pushing and pleading had to work at some point.

Here's my script. Very simple. Take a look further down and comment out or add other track envelopes(volume & pan).

The thread for this script is here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=167880

Edgemeal seems to have improved the script a bit in the last post.

I'd actually like to do a search box, but finding the time and will to do it is less easy.

Code:
-- Lua Script for Reaper 5.0 and up
-- Activate and arm all FX parameters on selected tracks
-- v1.01
-- Written by Anthony "Airon" Oetzmann
-- This script is public domain
-- Post your feedback and alternate versions at
-- http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=167880

-- ++ DEBUG ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
function get_script_path()
  if reaper.GetOS() == "Win32" or reaper.GetOS() == "Win64" then
    return debug.getinfo(1,'S').source:match("(.*".."\\"..")"):sub(2) -- remove "@"
  end
    return debug.getinfo(1,'S').source:match("(.*".."/"..")"):sub(2)
end

dbug_flag = 1 -- set to 0 for no debugging messages, 1 to get them
function dbug (text)
  if dbug_flag==1 then
  reaper.ShowConsoleMsg(tostring(text))
  end
end
-- +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
function main()
  reaper.Undo_BeginBlock()

selected_tracks_count = reaper.CountSelectedTracks(0) -- Get number of selected tracks
  if selected_tracks_count == 0 then ; dbug ("No tracks selected\n") ;
  end
  for i = 0, selected_tracks_count-1  do                -- Loop over every selected track
    track = reaper.GetSelectedTrack(0, i)               -- Get a track
    track_fx_count = reaper.TrackFX_GetCount(track)     -- how many fx on that track ?
    for j = 0, track_fx_count-1  do
      track_fxparam_count = reaper.TrackFX_GetNumParams(track, j) -- Get number of fx in track
      for k = 0, track_fxparam_count-1  do               -- Loop over each parameter of this track
        envelope = reaper.GetFXEnvelope(track, j, k, 1)  -- This will create(& thus activate) and arm the FX envelope
      end -- ENDLOOP through FX parameters
    end -- ENDLOOP through FX

reaper.TrackList_AdjustWindows(0)
  end -- ENDLOOP through selected tracks

-- track envelopes. Add more if needed or comment out these lines
  reaper.Main_OnCommand(40707,0) -- toggle pan visible
  reaper.Main_OnCommand(40706,0) -- toggle volume visible

reaper.TrackList_AdjustWindows(0)
  reaper.Undo_EndBlock("Activate and Arm all FX Parameter envelopes on selected tracks", 0)
end

main() -- Execute your main function
reaper.UpdateArrange() -- Update the arrangement
reaper.TrackList_AdjustWindows(false)
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:14 AM   #19
Danijel Milosevic

Quote:
Here's my script. Very simple. Take a look further down and comment out or add other track envelopes(volume & pan).

The thread for this script is here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=167880
Thanks, it works great! I think I'll keep the one that arms focused FX (by Edgemeal) on a keyboard shortcut, and keep this one at bay as "heavy artillery" when I need to arm multiple tracks and plugins.

After about 10 months of using Reaper almost exclusively, I'm starting to feel at home B)