Old 01-02-2020, 10:44 AM   #1
Burnsjethro
Human being with feelings

Default Melodyne again

After upgrading from Essential M. to the Assistant version the old problem of M. not saving my settings has returned. It more or less disappeared before when I made sure to highlight the track I was working on before making adjustments and saving.

So is there a way of freezing or rendering M. in an effect chain and still being able to alter the other effects?

If I have M. followed by, EQ, Comp, Reverb,... could I kind of render M. then still work on the effects and change the volume, etc.?
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:01 AM   #2
Stella645

That would be "Freeze up to last selected track" from the FX edit menu.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:11 AM   #3
Burnsjethro

Thanks for that invaluable piece of advice, Stella. However, I am now told I cannot "freeze" ARA-plugins (Melodyne) but can render them to stems. So any idea what I can do? I think if I render the entire track with all the effects will be rendered won't it?
Old 01-02-2020, 01:01 PM   #4
Stella645

Ahh... Haven't really used Melodyne since the ARA update so hadn't considered that.

You could just bypass the other FX and render the track in place then bypass melodyne and un-bypass the other FX. Little bit of a faff though....maybe someone else has a better way.

Did you try any of the plugin compatibility options?
Old 01-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #5
morgon

Maybe put Melodyne on a folder track and leave the other FX on the current track within that folder so you can mute the entire track fx at once.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 03:34 PM   #6
Burnsjethro

Thanks Stella and Morgan for your replies.

"You could just bypass the other FX and render the track in place then bypass melodyne and un-bypass the other FX. Little bit of a faff though....maybe someone else has a better way."

So I bypass the other effects, render the entire track and then bring the other effects back. I will have a go at that tomorrow.

"Did you try any of the plugin compatibility options?" Sorry, not sure what options you mean!
Old 01-02-2020, 03:36 PM   #7
Burnsjethro

Thanks Morgon.

"Maybe put Melodyne on a folder track and leave the other FX on the current track within that folder so you can mute the entire track fx at once. "

A folder track as if I were to create a reverb folder?

"and leave the other FX on the current track within that folder so you can mute the entire track fx at once" Sorry, would you mind simplifying that a bit. I am an English speaker but a not very technically minded one.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:30 PM   #8
morgon

I'm not sure my suggested method is very efficient, depending on whether the instance of Melodyne that you're using on the original track can be dragged to it's folder track fx whilst retaining settings intact.

I'm guessing that Melodyne occupies an early position of the fx chain so it probably isn't practical to generally operate it from the folder track, but if it can be dragged there, settings intact, then it can be rendered without any of the other fx.

Or do it the other way around and put everything but Melodyne on the folder track and mute the folder track fx before rendering.

You can insert a track above the one you've got and make it a folder track by selecting via the icon which is usually found in the lower right corner of the track control panel, then make your original track "last track in folder" by using that same method.

The output path of your original track will now be the folder track, with fx on either or both affecting that output, which would allow to mute all the fx on the original track at once by clicking the on/off track control panel fx icon to 'off'.

Left click n hold Melodyne from the fx dialog box and drag it to the folder track fx icon, then render the folder track.

Last edited by morgon; 01-04-2020 at 12:51 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:51 AM   #9
morgon

Bump for above edit
Old 01-04-2020, 01:52 AM   #10
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsjethro View Post

"Did you try any of the plugin compatibility options?" Sorry, not sure what options you mean!
I read that others having issues with Melodyne found improvement by changing some of the compatibility settings.

Make sure that "save minimal undo states" is ticked but also try "buggy plugin compatibility mode" to see if it helps.

http://helpcenter.celemony.com/hc-2/...gen?env=reaper
Old 01-04-2020, 01:54 AM   #11
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
I read that others having issues with Melodyne found improvement by changing some of the compatibility settings.

Make sure that "save minimal undo states" is ticked but also try "buggy plugin compatibility mode" to see if it helps.

http://helpcenter.celemony.com/hc-2/...gen?env=reaper
The section titled "Integration of the Undo function into Reaper" shows the options menu I am talking about.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:16 AM   #12
Burnsjethro

Morgon, Stella,... thanks for all your advice. Been busy but will be trying these things out sometime this weekend.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:20 AM   #13
Burnsjethro

Morgon. Itried out your suggestion. Recorded a vocal, did some crazy adjustments in melodyine so I could hear the changes straight away, added Eq and compression. Then created a folder (in the new theme version the plus sign is on the left, so that threw me off a bit). Dragged Melodyne into the folder but no, the changes were gone.

I tried Stella's idea.

"You could just bypass the other FX and render the track in place then bypass melodyne and un-bypass the other FX. "

I did this and a new track was created with a stem on it. I un-bypassed the other FXs and adjusted them but they did not alter the sound in anyway. So I suppose I have to tune the vocal add all the fxs as desired and then render the whole track.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:36 AM   #14
Stella645

You just need to render into the same track, not to a new track. Render In Place is actually a Cubase term so I can see how that might have confused things!

This will do it.

Bypass the other FX
Right click the item and choose to apply Track FX as new take.
Unbypass the other FX

You will now see both takes waveforms as lanes, the unprocessed and the processed....if you're 100% happy with the melodyne process you could crop to active take or maybe better if you use the global kc to hide inactive takes. Ctrl L.

Then Ctrl L again will bring them back in case you need to switch back to the unprocessed take and do more work on it.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:43 AM   #15
Burnsjethro

Stella you are the soul of kindness. I will try this out later on and let you know how I get on.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:27 AM   #16
Burnsjethro

OK Stella that is really good. So I can keep on adjusting the other effects that have been un-by-passed now and the volume, etc.?

I am not sure how you do "crop to active take" but I can apply CTR. L like I use when hiding several vocal takes, for example, and this seems to do the trick.

Thanks a lot.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:06 AM   #17
SiddieNam

Default Melodyne again

I have one other suggestion, partly because I'm doing battle with another VST that won't save something properly. I have no idea if this would work for you, but have you considered saving the track as a track template?

This worked for me. I have to save my MIDI or Audio elsewhere, but in terms of VST data and settings and plugins etc, that does the trick. As I update things, I just overwrite that track template.

Still a faff, but better than nothing and it worked for me, as I say. I don't know how this would impact your workflow or Melodyne's specific issue (I suspect these things are very VST dependent) but might be worth a shot.

Just in case you don't know how to do this, it's pretty easy -- select the track (or tracks -- it works for multiples, too) you're working on, open up the drop down menu, select "Save tracks as track template..." and you're off. To load one back in, you can open up from the "Track" menu and choose "Insert track from template" option. Forgive me if you knew this already -- no intent to be patronising or anything, just helpful.
SiddieNam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:17 AM   #18
Burnsjethro

Thanks very much for the tip Siddienam.

"Save tracks as track template..." and you're off. To load one back in, you can open up from the "Track" menu and choose "Insert track from template"

No I did not know this technique. Would this be as useful as rendering/freezing the track? Because the idea of rendering Melodyne was to save on CPU usage and stop Melodyne from losing my editing (as it sometimes does for some mysterious reason) while moving on to other tasks.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:33 AM   #19
SiddieNam

Default Melodyne again

In that case, I suspect not, for two reasons...

- It's really only a trick that allowed me to recall the setup of VST's and plugins on a per-track basis (and, as I say, it doesn't save your song data -- essentially I'm saving that on another track and copying it back in as necessary).
- It might not work on Melodyne!

But it kind of depends what you're trying to do -- if it does successfully save your setup (as it did for me) then it may change your workflow in such a way as is useful to you. At the end of the day these are all just attempts to work around niggly plugin software, so one thing or another may work for you. Good luck though -- keen to hear how you get on.
SiddieNam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:38 AM   #20
Burnsjethro

Siddienam thanks very much for getting back to me.