Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-07-2019, 09:37 PM   #1
1111Eugene
Human being with feelings

Default vocal consonants separation script or smth

Hi, I have 8 songs where vocals have the same promlem, it should be jumping and attacking, but it's just smooth and a lil bit distorted in a technical way...
and all of the consonants can be barely seen in a waveform. I tried many times and ways, but it's just won't jump and attack while sounding natural. yes,...there is a way that always works, do it manually by hands, splitting all the letters and then doing smth to them, then drawing automation. It would take a huge amount of time and effort. So I need smth to automate the process. Is there any script or some thing, that can separate consonants in a vocal?
I tried different combinations of: filters,different mode gates, transient shapers, increasing brilliance, dbx style comp and smth else don't remember. waves smack transient shaper made the most difference, but at extreme numbers it starts to give a lot of artifacts...
and yes, expanders or smth similar can help. but, it'll make the sound only to "jump", and I still need consonants spiky attacks, in a good way

Last edited by 1111Eugene; 07-07-2019 at 09:51 PM.
1111Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:35 AM   #2
Philbo King

Sounds like your compressor(s) have too short attack time.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:21 AM   #3
1111Eugene

they gave me such tracks. most of it is due to a technically improper recording. it is kinda inverted of what it needs to be. so there's no way to go back. and I'm asking about consonants separation.
We'll pretend you said
"the spectrum view should make the process a little bit more convinient"
ok, thank you
what else?

Last edited by 1111Eugene; 07-10-2019 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:41 AM   #4
ramses

I'm doubtful this can be done in a way that pleases you. It's very hard to alter the fundamental characteristics of recorded material, especially vocals. You can improve on it a bit, but transforming it into something it's not is hardly possible. What about them re-recording the vocals? Have you asked?

Last edited by ramses; 07-21-2019 at 01:18 AM.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:49 AM   #5
1111Eugene

it's a huge and not an easy job, to perfom all the songs and not in one take. so it's much easier for me to do evetything mannually...
Old 07-11-2019, 04:37 AM   #6
jrk

It might be worth messing around with dynamic split (gate / remove silence) on a duplicate of the vocal? You might be able to get a (largely) consonant-free version.

I have used this in an attempt to isolate a bunch of troublesome 'K' and 'G' on a mic-eating "singer".

If you flip the polarity and combine your dupes - you can end up with (mainly) the troublesome sounds.

It kinda worked for me.

I can't remember now why I didn't just use a gate....

I suppose the usual way would be to roll up your sleeves and commit to a laborious syllable by syllable tweaking. We often underestimate the amount of tedious micro-tweaking that commercial vocals have been subject to.

Last edited by jrk; 07-11-2019 at 04:45 AM.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #7
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1111Eugene View Post
Hi, I have 8 songs where vocals have the same promlem, it should be jumping and attacking, but it's just smooth and a lil bit distorted in a technical way...
could you post one isolated vocal track to be able to hear what the problem is?

Old 07-21-2019, 01:11 AM   #8
Valle

That’s next to impossible to achieve with eyes only or scripts etc. You’ll need ears. We need to keep in mind that consonants span from 300 to 8000 Hz, and the vowels somewhere within that span.

I had a similar situation where the vox tracks sounded crap. The singer sounded like he suffered from brutal lisping – almost all “s”’s sounded like “f”’s. Probably too close to the mic with too many head movements. That or crappy pop filters, I don’t know. I tried to fix it manually but pretty soon ended up requiring it all to be re-recorded from scratch.