Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 02-18-2020, 11:34 AM   #1
hrukalive
Human being with feelings

Default Possible to attach data to MIDI note and coloring according to CC?

I am currently trying to write a helper utility for microtonal composers, and I am wondering whether it is possible to attach some more data to MIDI notes and passing those to Reaper plugins. I saw that in the event list in MIDI editor there exists a REAPER Data field, which I am not sure how to access.

Also, is it possible to add a MIDI note coloring according to such attached data, or an alternative solution, according to values of a particular CC value? Thanks guys.

If this is not possible, I'll have to write a midi editor, which is gonna be laborious. Orz
hrukalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:55 PM   #2
juliansader
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrukalive View Post
I am currently trying to write a helper utility for microtonal composers, and I am wondering whether it is possible to attach some more data to MIDI notes and passing those to Reaper plugins. I saw that in the event list in MIDI editor there exists a REAPER Data field, which I am not sure how to access.
Yes, you can add custom data to notes in the same way that REAPER's own notation data is stored. Prior to v6.0, you had to "hack" it, but the feature become official in v6.0:

Quote:
v6.0 - December 3 2019
+ ReaScript: add support for user-defined note and track notation data that is not displayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrukalive View Post
Also, is it possible to add a MIDI note coloring according to such attached data, or an alternative solution, according to values of a particular CC value?
Note color is unfortunately not affected by the note data mentioned above. Your only options are channel (16 colors), voice (3 colors), velocity (127 colors), and the other options in the MIDI editor's "Color" dropdown menu. If you are not using channels, voices or velocities for other purposes, you can repurpose these to carry microtonal information.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote