Old 09-08-2020, 09:26 AM   #1
Pablo Sound
Human being with feelings

Default Problem working with iZotope RX7

When I work in a Reaper project, I usually make some adjustments on items opening them with RX7 as an external editor. I process the piece of audio in RX, save the file, and come back to Reaper which automatically rebuilds the waveform peaks of that item. Nonetheless, there are times when I click on "save" in RX, and a warning message prompts saying 'The current file cannot be saved. Please make sure it's not open in another application and try again'.

Well, the file is of course open in Reaper, but this one is configured to put files offline when it's minimized or not being used actively, so this message doesn't make sense. And it happens randomly, I can be half and hour working this way with no trouble, and then the message starts showing.

It drives me nuts to work like that, because every time I have to make some process in RX, i must close the Reaper project first, save the file in RX and reopen the project in Reaper, losing time and health.

Please someone tell me she/he/it has been there and knows the solution.
Pablo Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:27 AM   #2
marcmarc

Hi,
no solution but here with reaper 6.13 and RX7 advanced it works flawlessly.
on a mac 10.11
are you on a mac or win?
Attached Images
File Type: png par défaut 2020-09-11 à 12.28.37.png (35.6 KB, 269 views)
File Type: png par défaut 2020-09-11 à 12.28.59.png (57.3 KB, 238 views)
File Type: png par défaut 2020-09-11 à 12.28.22.png (26.5 KB, 217 views)
marcmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:34 PM   #3
daniellumertz

so are you sure reaper is putting the files in offline when not on focus? There is an option on reaper preferences that must be checked [ Set media items offline when aplication is not active] , see of the wave form goes to " offline offline " when change focus. If not that maybe close audio device in reaper menu also???
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:56 PM   #4
Pablo Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellumertz View Post
so are you sure reaper is putting the files in offline when not on focus?
After checking the Reaper preferences, the option "close audio device when stopped and application is inactive" was unchecked, so you were right. I was asumming it was checked by default. Thank you so much! And thanks to you too @marcmarc!
Old 09-16-2020, 04:14 PM   #5
Pablo Sound

The problem still happens, even with the option "close audio device when stopped and application is inactive".
Old 09-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #6
daniellumertz

here what makes the difference is [ Set media items offline when aplication is not active]
Old 09-16-2020, 11:43 PM   #7
tdc

I rely heavily on RX with Reaper, for cleaning but also as a replacement for Audiosuite style destructive editing / processing.

On my Macs I found that the only reliable round-trip was to set the preference to allow files to go offline in the background. And also make sure to use the command Open Editor with Copies.

Best of luck.
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:40 AM   #8
Pablo Sound

Quote:
here what makes the difference is [ Set media items offline when aplication is not active]
I've just found that in the preferences and it's activated, so I really don't know why it keeps happening.

I always use RX with copies of the files so I can go back to the initial state if I mess it up.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:03 PM   #9
daniellumertz

hmmm are you using windows or mac? here I use windows and this is everything I had to do is to check the option I commented, the strange is that before you didn`t have this.

Do you have backup of yours preferences? I suggest keeping an folder for making these backups ( if you are like me moving preferences depending of the project ) You can export in the preferences menu> General >Export Config.... Try to export your config now ( to have saved) and then go back to the reaper default see if it still happening.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:07 AM   #10
vanceen

I've had this happen a few times with RX7. (I have RX8 now, but it's too soon to tell if it's still an issue.)

I found that if I clicked on the Reaper window to bring it into focus and then clicked back on to the RX7 window, I was able to "overwrite file" as usual in RX7.

Don't know why this works. Hope it helps.
vanceen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:52 AM   #11
Pablo Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanceen View Post
I found that if I clicked on the Reaper window to bring it into focus and then clicked back on to the RX7 window, I was able to "overwrite file" as usual in RX7.
I've tried this, but unfortunately it did not work.

Quote:
hmmm are you using windows or mac? here I use windows and this is everything I had to do is to check the option I commented, the strange is that before you didn`t have this.

Do you have backup of yours preferences? I suggest keeping an folder for making these backups ( if you are like me moving preferences depending of the project ) You can export in the preferences menu> General >Export Config.... Try to export your config now ( to have saved) and then go back to the reaper default see if it still happening.
I'm using windows 10. I turned to default the preferences (previously backing up as you recommended) but the problem persists.

I contacted the iZotope people and, after a few basic advices, they suggested me to do a live chat if the problem continued. I'll chat with them and then tell you the results so you know if we come to a solution.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:58 PM   #12
daniellumertz

hm if reapér in the factory config still going this maybe is in the rx7 side(?) I don't know

if you find a solution please post here
Old 11-20-2020, 08:06 AM   #13
voiceoverbytyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Sound View Post
I've tried this, but unfortunately it did not work.

I'm using windows 10. I turned to default the preferences (previously backing up as you recommended) but the problem persists.

I contacted the iZotope people and, after a few basic advices, they suggested me to do a live chat if the problem continued. I'll chat with them and then tell you the results so you know if we come to a solution.
Did you ever find a solution to this, Pablo Sound? I am experiencing this right now. I have both "Set media items offline when application is not active" and "Close audio device when stopped and application is inactive" checked.

The "overwrite original file" option in Izotope was working fine for me the last couple days, but has suddenly started bugging out with this error.
voiceoverbytyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:03 AM   #14
clepsydrae

Are you folks sure that it's Reaper that is holding the file open? E.g. maybe antivirus or some other process is scanning the file in the background?

Pablo I know you said that you can close reaper and then save from RX, but maybe it's just a coincidence that this works; e.g. maybe whatever is scanning the file is done by the time you try again? What happens if you don't close reaper when you get the error, wait 2 minutes, and try again?

When you get the error, is Reaper actually stopped, or is it just in pause?

I don't know if it's possible that a plugin in the project could be holding a file open, even if reaper loses focus?
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:41 PM   #15
voiceoverbytyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Are you folks sure that it's Reaper that is holding the file open? E.g. maybe antivirus or some other process is scanning the file in the background?

Pablo I know you said that you can close reaper and then save from RX, but maybe it's just a coincidence that this works; e.g. maybe whatever is scanning the file is done by the time you try again? What happens if you don't close reaper when you get the error, wait 2 minutes, and try again?

When you get the error, is Reaper actually stopped, or is it just in pause?

I don't know if it's possible that a plugin in the project could be holding a file open, even if reaper loses focus?

I can also save from RX when this error is happening. It looks like for whatever reason it is deciding to work right now. Honestly couldn't tell you what made a difference. Earlier, I could not save a specific item when after restarting reaper, izotope, checking preferences, etc.
voiceoverbytyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:17 AM   #16
strangy

Now I have the same problem, it happens to me for the first time in 5 years. It seems that problem in file, that comes to RX, because I tried different OS and Reaper versions.

My stable working enviroment is:
MacOS 10.12.6
Reaper v 6.16
RX 8
I made a few pretty big projects with using RX a lot and all works fine.

I tried to close Reaper, but it does no affect at all, RX still can't save file.
strangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:04 AM   #17
valy

There is some bug (I guess) that is preventing REAPER from fully closing even after it appears to close.

I assume that this bug also prevents REAPER from releasing whatever files it has under its control when it is minimized and the options are checked to have the DAW release everything when it doesn't have focus.

At least in my case, it is not caused by an antivirus (I don't run one). The Windows messaging also clearly states that the file is in use by REAPER and thus cannot be accessed.
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:46 AM   #18
pepe44

Here , using RX7 advanced i am able to edit multiple files (from same instrument multiple microphones) at once in RX and it automatically overwrites the reaper files when i it save.
I have the "Set media items offline when application is not active" ON. not the Close audio device, no need for that.
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:55 PM   #19
strangy

Here is answer from iZotope support on that issue, will try out myself, but maybe it will help someone too.

It's for Mac

Quote:
Thanks for reaching out! My apologies for the delayed response to this, we're experiencing high support volume and are working hard to respond to everyone.

The error here seems to indicate an issue with access permissions.

You may need to allow RX and Reaper permission to communicate, you can do this with the following:
1) Open your computer System Preferences and head to > Security & Privacy and select the Privacy tab.
2) Here you should see rows for Accessibility, Full Disk Access and Microphone access.
3) In each of those rows, click the "+" symbol and add RX and Reaper to the lists there.
4) Retry the process. You may want to restart your computer here as well.

I would also manually check the access permissions of your folders here too. You'll want to be sure all folders which contain your audio files are set to "Read and Write".
strangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:18 AM   #20
CaseyC

I'd also been experiencing this issue. As Strangy called out, don't forget to check the read/write permissions on your folders / folder hierarchy. This issue was happening for me again yesterday, and ultimately the issue turned out to be this setting. I navigated to the top of my project tree and made sure that that folder and all subfolders/files were NOT flagged as read-only and that did the trick.
CaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:03 PM   #21
pnin8

i had the same issue with RX6 (on windows 10). suddenly!
i tried everything including all the suggestions in this thread but nothing helped.
now at last i found a solution in my case:
i went to > file > export > and unclicked: Preserve non -audio data
then i exported the audio.
after that everything was fine again. i could save files and go back to reaper without issues. so far.
hope that helps maybe someone with the same problem.
pnin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:01 PM   #22
davidonato

I was having the exact same problem (on windows 10 and RX7). But I just found out what it was and it wasn't a bug at all (at least in my case). The error happens when I pause playback instead of stoping it before opening the file in RX. The playback on pause at Reaper causes it to not make items offline while minimized (even if you have said option selected) because, of course, it's still active. Since I tend to alternate between using play/stop and play/pause the problem only happens sometimes (not always) just as the others described it here. So it took me a while to figure out that it wasn't random and that the common denominator was that the error only happens when the playback on reaper is paused. Hope this helps others.
davidonato is offline   Reply With Quote