Old 07-12-2020, 05:36 AM   #1
Greg Savage
Human being with feelings

Default Snapping To Grid Buggy?

Is there a fix for this? (Please see attachment)

I'm not sure why this happens but for whatever reason, the cursor looks like it's in a specific location until you zoom in and it turns out that it's off. Happens a lot with Midi and audio files as well. Any fix for this?

Edit - Running 6.12
Attached Images
File Type: gif Why?.gif (50.4 KB, 217 views)

Last edited by Greg Savage; 07-12-2020 at 05:46 AM.
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:24 AM   #2
Coachz

Can you post an image of your snap preferences
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:02 PM   #3
Greg Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Can you post an image of your snap preferences
You mean this here?

Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 4.04.10 PM-min.png (23.3 KB, 152 views)
Old 07-12-2020, 03:17 PM   #4
Coachz

Is your media item lined up exactly with the ruler or is it actually a little earlier than the ruler. Notice your settings allow for snapping to Media items within 5 tracks away and that would include this item to if it's not exactly lined up on the ruler
Old 07-12-2020, 04:01 PM   #5
Greg Savage

Quote:
Is your media item lined up exactly with the ruler or is it actually a little earlier than the ruler. Notice your settings allow for snapping to Media items within 5 tracks away and that would include this item to if it's not exactly lined up on the ruler
So, I'd like it to line up exactly with the grid on the ruler like a typical daw would.

When im zoomed out or in at a normal setting, it looks like im lined with the grid, but once I zoom in as you can see from the gif, it's actually off. Sometimes the data is slightly early or late.

Most daws if I set the mouse cursor on the 1 or any grid point, thats exactly where the data (audio or midi) snaps to. it seems as if Reaper's doesn't line up exactly even though it looks like it does (until zoomed in).

What are your settings set to?
Old 07-12-2020, 04:15 PM   #6
Coachz

Try unclicking cursor next to snap to edges of media items on any track. It looks like you are snapping to the media item which is very close to the grid.

My grid settings are pretty much the same as yours and the only thing I don't think I understand is snap to distance which I have a whole thread about and nobody seems to know how it works.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:33 PM   #7
Greg Savage

Quote:
Try unclicking cursor next to snap to edges of media items on any track. It looks like you are snapping to the media item which is very close to the grid.

My grid settings are pretty much the same as yours and the only thing I don't think I understand is snap to distance which I have a whole thread about and nobody seems to know how it works.

I'll give that a try. It makes no sense that the cursor doesn't like spot on the grid. Thanks again for your help.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:55 PM   #8
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Savage View Post
I'll give that a try. It makes no sense that the cursor doesn't like spot on the grid. Thanks again for your help.
maybe this is to do with the tempo of your project and the project sample rate?
My understanding is that if these two do not have a common denominator then something has to give.
i think you might be able to test this theory by going to project settings and ticking the box "force project tempo to occur on whole samples" - if this changes your tempo slightly then this would indicate that they don't have a common denominator.
i believe other DAWs may be the same behind the scenes, so to speak, but for purely visual purposes automatically snap to the grid?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:30 PM   #9
Greg Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
maybe this is to do with the tempo of your project and the project sample rate?
My understanding is that if these two do not have a common denominator then something has to give.
i think you might be able to test this theory by going to project settings and ticking the box "force project tempo to occur on whole samples" - if this changes your tempo slightly then this would indicate that they don't have a common denominator.
i believe other DAWs may be the same behind the scenes, so to speak, but for purely visual purposes automatically snap to the grid?
Interesting, I'll give that a try too. Thanks
Old 07-13-2020, 01:07 PM   #10
Greg Savage

Hmmm...

just had a thought/question. Is there a command or script that I could use that would automatically make the media item fit within the region?

Let's say I'm working on an 8 bar segment and I'm frames or slivers off from the media item fully connecting to the end of the measure. Is there a command that can run that automatically adds the rest. Almost like a quantize for the media item itself.

Hopefully, that makes sense.