Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 01-22-2022, 10:38 AM   #1
norbury brook
Human being with feelings

Default I'm giving linux a go......HELP!!!!

I must be a masochist or something but yesterday I installed Manjaro on mu old HP i7 quad core elite book.

Some now I managed to get Reaper install along with jack and a real time kernel.

And to my surprise my steinberg UR22c was recognised and seems to work.

I fired up a 24 track reaper project and was taken a back ow instantly it opened ...it was instant..BAM....

It aslo played back beautifully at 32 sample buffer..which reaper was showing as less than 1ms latency.....impressed

this was all good then.,.... I wanted to try the linux version of Pianoteq. So I tried the Package manager and saw it was there but it failed to install. I opened up the code and it said it had to be downloaded from the website.

i did this. I then extracted the zip and it would seem I needed to place the folders/files in various places . The Lv2 in the usr/lib/lv2 folder and the vst in the vst one.

I could not do this though as every time I copied the files I couldn't paste them in the places i wanted. I didn'tt have permission...how do I do this?

is this even the correct way to install this.

I tried some of the harrison plugins from the Pacage manager but none of them installed....

so I've spent all day today just trying to install a piano plugin....to no avail.

HELP

M
Old 01-22-2022, 12:18 PM   #2
martblek

why don't you make a directory for plugins in the home directory and set a path in the reaper? you don|t need root privilegies here
For pianoteq, just copy the Pianoteq 7.lv2 directory to the directory
where the reaper is looking for plugins
and that's no problem.
I have all my plugins in the home directory in the .vst, .lv2 or .vst3 directories.
martblek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:58 PM   #3
Glennbo

The locations you should use for most LV2, VST, and VST3 plugins is your home folder followed by,

/.lv2
/.vst
/.vst3

and the dot makes those folders hidden unless you un-hide them on the view menu of the Thunar file browser. Once you have those folders created, you can start dumping plugins into them and REAPER will pick them up on the next startup. Just make sure that you only put native Linux plugin in those folders.

If you try to use Windows plugins, those need to be installed in the pseudo C: drive that WINE creates, and then bridged using Yabridge. I have the LV2 demo of Pinaoteq installed, and just copied it into my .lv2 plugin folder.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:14 PM   #4
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by martblek View Post
why don't you make a directory for plugins in the home directory and set a path in the reaper? you don|t need root privilegies here
For pianoteq, just copy the Pianoteq 7.lv2 directory to the directory
where the reaper is looking for plugins
and that's no problem.
I have all my plugins in the home directory in the .vst, .lv2 or .vst3 directories.
that's a very good idea

After some googling I managed via terminal to move it using sudo cp -r

I suppose that's a good linux lesson to learn though

M
Old 01-22-2022, 01:20 PM   #5
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
The locations you should use for most LV2, VST, and VST3 plugins is your home folder followed by,

/.lv2
/.vst
/.vst3

and the dot makes those folders hidden unless you un-hide them on the view menu of the Thunar file browser. Once you have those folders created, you can start dumping plugins into them and REAPER will pick them up on the next startup. Just make sure that you only put native Linux plugin in those folders.

If you try to use Windows plugins, those need to be installed in the pseudo C: drive that WINE creates, and then bridged using Yabridge. I have the LV2 demo of Pinaoteq installed, and just copied it into my .lv2 plugin folder.
Cheers Glenn,

On you recommendation I tried to install the free Ardour B3 but it threw an error trying to install through the Package manager.

do I just copy and paste like I managed with pianoteq if I direct download?

Also, is it me or is this linux/reaper thing a better performer than windows? on first try everything is amazingly snappy and running at 32 samples is amazing

M
Old 01-22-2022, 01:27 PM   #6
norbury brook

also: Is there a performance/latency hit using windows VST via wine etc?

I'm thinking of perhaps using this laptop/linux laptop live if it proves reliable and need to find either Native versions of Omnisphere or something similar or bridge via wine.

M
Old 01-22-2022, 01:48 PM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
Cheers Glenn,

On you recommendation I tried to install the free Ardour B3 but it threw an error trying to install through the Package manager.

do I just copy and paste like I managed with pianoteq if I direct download?

Also, is it me or is this linux/reaper thing a better performer than windows? on first try everything is amazingly snappy and running at 32 samples is amazing

M
I just extracted Pianoteq to my downloads folder, then copied only the "Pianoteq 7.lv2" folder into my .lv2 folder.

I didn't mess with the VSTi version, since LV2 is opensource and VST is Steinberg controlled.

I used to dual boot Win7/Linux and saw identical performance, but that was Win7 that had been gone through with unneeded services disabled, and other tweaks.

It would not surprise me if when comparing a fresh Win10/Win11 install to a fresh Linux install there is a significant difference in performance running REAPER.
Old 01-22-2022, 01:57 PM   #8
The Kid

make sure you instal cmatrix
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:03 PM   #9
Glennbo

Quote:

I'm thinking of perhaps using this laptop/linux laptop live if it proves reliable and need to find either Native versions of Omnisphere or something similar or bridge via wine.

M
I'm sure if I ran enough instances of Windows plugins, that it would start to show a performance difference, but I run multiple instances of Kontakt all the time and it feels and plays just as snappy as it ever did in Windows.

I even did this song using nothing but Windows VSTi plugins, just to see if I could stress my system out, but I ran out of ideas for more parts/tracks before the machine started showing any signs of stress.

That song has Superior Drummer 2 (played from my V-Drums pad kit), five instances of Kontakt, three instances of Guitar Rig (on virtual Kontakt guitars and basses), Native Instruments B4 Organ, Arturia MiniMoog V, ToonTrack EZ-Keys Wurlitzer, and Emu Proteus VX clavinette plus Bag-o-Tricks drums.
Old 01-22-2022, 02:59 PM   #10
audiojunkie

Quote:

M
WINE is not an emulator. It is a clean rewrite of Windows APIs and allows Windows apps to run natively on Linux. There shouldn’t be any difference in performance.
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:56 AM   #11
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
WINE is not an emulator. It is a clean rewrite of Windows APIs and allows Windows apps to run natively on Linux. There shouldn’t be any difference in performance.
FWIW I have had Reaper and a bunch of plugins installed & running just fine under the latest version of AVLinux MX. All very logical & I have had few issues with installing stuff, but I STILL cannot seem to get wine up and running! ARRGH!

At least I am having fun doing primarily audio recordings with it...
Old 01-23-2022, 10:33 AM   #12
norbury brook

well I've managed to install wine and Yabridge however I don't seem to have the correct folder structure Yabridge seems to expect i.e I don't have a folder @ .vst/yabridge-steinberg/VstPlugins/ I just have a .vst/yabridge-steinberg weird file not a folder. I did drop a .dll vst file in thee .vst folder and did a 'yabridgectl sync' and it created a .so file but it threw an error up in Reaper somehow .

not really sure what's going on there....

However... my wine install did mean I could install a windows .exe vst plugin I'd downloaded and that works perfectly...

so what's the deal with Yaybridge? is it working 'partly' do I need it?

M
Old 01-23-2022, 11:10 AM   #13
Glennbo

Quote:
well I've managed to install wine and Yabridge however I don't seem to have the correct folder structure Yabridge seems to expect i.e I don't have a folder @ .vst/yabridge-steinberg/VstPlugins/ I just have a .vst/yabridge-steinberg weird file not a folder. I did drop a .dll vst file in thee .vst folder and did a 'yabridgectl sync' and it created a .so file but it threw an error up in Reaper somehow .

not really sure what's going on there....
The path for Windows plugins would usually look something more like this. This is the path on my machine.

~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/VSTPlugins/

The .vst folder in your home folder is for native Linux plugins and not for Windows plugins.

Quote:
However... my wine install did mean I could install a windows .exe vst plugin I'd downloaded and that works perfectly...

so what's the deal with Yaybridge? is it working 'partly' do I need it?

M
Yabridge is needed as it is the bridge between the Windows plugin and Linux. The .so files it creates are stubs that to Linux look like the actual plugin, but internally they point to the .dll file.

You need to tell Yabridge where your Windows plugins are installed with a command like this.

yabridgectl add /home/glennbo/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/VSTPlugins/

Then run yabridgectl sync which will build all the .so files for each of the .dll plugin files you've installed.

Lastly, in the VST section of REAPER you need to add the path to where your Windows plugins are, which again should be something like this.

REAPER will then pickup all the .so files that point to the .dll files, and the Windows plugins will work.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:08 PM   #14
norbury brook

Quote:
The path for Windows plugins would usually look something more like this. This is the path on my machine.

The .vst folder in your home folder is for native Linux plugins and not for Windows plugins.

Yabridge is needed as it is the bridge between the Windows plugin and Linux. The .so files it creates are stubs that to Linux look like the actual plugin, but internally they point to the .dll file.

You need to tell Yabridge where your Windows plugins are installed with a command like this.

yabridgectl add /home/glennbo/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/VSTPlugins/

Then run yabridgectl sync which will build all the .so files for each of the .dll plugin files you've installed.

Lastly, in the VST section of REAPER you need to add the path to where your Windows plugins are, which again should be something like this.

REAPER will then pickup all the .so files that point to the .dll files, and the Windows plugins will work.

thanks Glenn. The fact that when I installed from a windows .exe and it worked means it mus be OK.

I haven't added the wine directory to reaper though.

I'll plough on

do you know if ilok manager works under wine?

M
Old 01-23-2022, 12:52 PM   #15
Glennbo

Quote:
thanks Glenn. The fact that when I installed from a windows .exe and it worked means it mus be OK.

I haven't added the wine directory to reaper though.

I'll plough on
The install of the Windows plugin sounds like it worked fine, and the other half of getting it to work, is just telling both Yabridge and REAPER where your Windows plugins are located, and a Yabridge sync to build the .so files.

Quote:
do you know if ilok manager works under wine?
I only own one iLock plugin (a Lexicon Reverb), and never even considered trying to get it to work in Linux. PACE and iLock inter-tangle themselves into the Windows OS to a degree that I would expect problems that might even show up outside just the plugins that need the iLock and PACE. IOW, could potentially screw WINE up for use with other plugs.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:56 PM   #16
norbury brook

Quote:
The install of the Windows plugin sounds like it worked fine, and the other half of getting it to work, is just telling both Yabridge and REAPER where your Windows plugins are located, and a Yabridge sync to build the .so files.

I only own one iLock plugin (a Lexicon Reverb), and never even considered trying to get it to work in Linux. PACE and iLock inter-tangle themselves into the Windows OS to a degree that I would expect problems that might even show up outside just the plugins that need the iLock and PACE. IOW, could potentially screw WINE up for use with other plugs.
I have a lot of ilok plugins...I've just tried .....it doesn't work

bugger!!!

M