Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 01-17-2022, 04:36 PM   #1
s wave
Human being with feelings

Default What is your favorite REVERB?

What do you use for a good sharp reverb? Or a nice spring type reverb for vocals or guitar. Also a decent 'dancehall' reverb. Thx in advance...
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:48 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Perfect Plate XL is flipping amazing but I'm not sure what "sharp reverb" means.

Not a fan of spring reverb myself and also not sure I've ever heard it used on vox. Kinda doubt it would work too great.

Maybe you ought to share some links to professional mixes with reverb sounds you like best.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:16 PM   #3
Glennbo

The two primary reverbs I use are the free native Linux LSP Impulse Reverb, which knows how to use a quad impulse file for "True Stereo" properly. Note: True Stereo is way more cool than plain old stereo.

The other verb I use a lot is the NOT free Plate Reverb RVB500 from Mike at Overtone LSP. The RVB500 does a bang up job of emulating the sound of a real plate reverb, and when I switched to Linux from Windows I shopped for a native Linux plate verb that sounded like the SoundToys Little Plate I was using in Windows, and ended up buying the RVB500 from Overtone DSP.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:10 AM   #4
Mcgiver69

I use:

- DragonFly reverbs
- Tal Reverbs
- Orilriver (Yabridged)
- Bricasti impulses with Reaverb
- Lexicon impulses with Reaverb

All of them do a great job.
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:31 AM   #5
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgiver69 View Post
- Lexicon impulses with Reaverb
Which Lexicon impulses do you use?

For me, it's almost all yabridged:

Reverb Foundry HD Cart (best IMHO)
Exponential Audio, Nimbus, Phoenixverb, R4, R2
Voxengo CRTIV Reverb
Toneboosters
Reaverb with Bricasti impulses (so close to Seventh Heaven and I actually think I prefer them)

I also have the Lexicon MPX, LXP and PCM reverbs which are amazing but require an iLok.

I want to like the airwindows verbs but they are not true stereo so sound weird to my ears compared to the ones above. Dragonfly verbs are just OK to my ears and not really in the same league. I experimented for years with all the free options but I always circle back to the paid options. They might be more forgiving in a dense mix but when adding realistic reverb to a single instrument they don't do so well.

Last edited by chmaha; 01-18-2022 at 03:47 AM.
chmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 04:01 AM   #6
elcalen

Lately I've been almost exclusively using Bricasti impulse responses with ReaVerb.

Edit: to be more specific, I'm using the M7 quad IR's by Samplicity.

Last edited by elcalen; 01-18-2022 at 05:00 AM.
elcalen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 04:34 AM   #7
chmaha

I should also add that Fabfilter Pro-R was on my wishlist (along with all the other offerings in their "Pro" bundle) but I suspect I'm 100% covered by Tokyo Dawn Plugins, Toneboosters and Reaplugs* for the non-reverb effects and, well, I do wonder what Pro-R could possibly do that would massively transform my reverb tweaking. I demoed it and didn't have a "wow" moment as I did with HD Cart, CRTIV and the Lexicon offerings.

* I've actually started sticking only to Reaplugs once I assured myself that a fancy plugin GUI does not improve the sound in any way and the rather brilliant ReaLimit appeared
Old 01-18-2022, 05:18 AM   #8
Heart Doctor

Default Sanford Reverb

I like Sanford Reverb more than any other reverb in my collection.

https://www.lesliesanford.com/vst/plugins/

It contains good presets and is very easy to use.

For vocals, try the "Large Room" preset and change the input
filters to 250 Hz / 3000 Hz.

The early reflection section adds a nice slapback to the delay
which sounds excellent. The resulting mix of slapback delay and
reverb is similar to the sound of Waves CLA EchoSphere.

Sanford Reverb is only available for Windows, not for Mac or Linux.
But it works with yabridge in REAPER for Linux.

Last edited by Heart Doctor; 01-20-2022 at 04:54 AM.
Heart Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:20 AM   #9
Lynx_TWO

Perfect Room by Denise Audio is the only one I use.
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:35 AM   #10
The Kid

ValhallaRoom!
Haven't tried it bridged, when I had Linux on my main machine.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:14 AM   #11
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Perfect Plate XL is flipping amazing but I'm not sure what "sharp reverb" means.

Not a fan of spring reverb myself and also not sure I've ever heard it used on vox. Kinda doubt it would work too great.

Maybe you ought to share some links to professional mixes with reverb sounds you like best.
I love spring reverb! I use the Arturia one the most.

Amy Winehouse's Back to Black has spring reverb on the vocals, as well as a plate mixed together. Spring reverb can sound good on vocals.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:12 AM   #12
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
I also have the Lexicon MPX, LXP and PCM reverbs which are amazing but require an iLok.
I have the Lexicon MPX Native reverb, but never even tried to get it to work in Linux because of the stoopid iLok.

Thought about looking for a crack since I paid for the real thing, but then I'd still have to bridge it, so I just looked for other native Linux verbs. I sometimes will use Big Gee's Lexicon 480L impulses, but more often I use the Bricasti quad impulses with the native Linux LSP Impulse reverb which does "True Stereo" with ease.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:27 AM   #13
elcalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
more often I use the Bricasti quad impulses with the native Linux LSP Impulse reverb which does "True Stereo" with ease.
I've tried LSP in the past (as well as Klangfalter), but since the multichannel improvements they made to ReaVerb last year, I find that the easiest solution for quad IRs... Using a preset with the correct routing, setting it up and changing IR files is incredibly simple...
Old 01-18-2022, 08:04 AM   #14
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcalen View Post
I've tried LSP in the past (as well as Klangfalter), but since the multichannel improvements they made to ReaVerb last year, I find that the easiest solution for quad IRs... Using a preset with the correct routing, setting it up and changing IR files is incredibly simple...
The problem I have with using ReaVerb for "True Stereo" is that in order to get the routings correct so that the left input feeds the proper first two tracks of the quad impulse, and the right input feeds tracks three and four of the impulse, you have to set the pins in ReaVerb like this,

https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/86/img...205_811397.jpg

(I did extensive testing with a snare hit only on the left channel, comparing ReaVerb with the LSP Impulse Reverb to verify the mono problem with ReaVerb)

and setting the pins like that makes the dry side of ReaVerb MONOPHONIC. There are two workarounds that I know of. One is to use ReaVerb 100% wet with no dry and put it on a bus. The other is to use the mix knob on ReaVerb's plugin container as a pseudo wet to dry control. Both of those are a kludge for me though, because my primary use of "True Stereo" is to put the whole mix through it on my sub-master so the whole band is in the same room, and I want the wet and dry faders to both function properly.

The LSP Impulse Reverb can load a quad file, let YOU the user route which input sides feed which track of the impulse and NEVER make the dry side become mono.

Last edited by Glennbo; 01-18-2022 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:23 AM   #15
elcalen

Huh. I only ever use ReaVerb as a bus send with 100% wet, so I wasn't aware of that issue...

Edit: interestingly, the track channels in your screenshot are also reversed from what I've been using, which was based on routing that was suggested by someone on the forums back when the multichannel support was first added... Experimenting with this a little, the two routings sound a little different, but I have no idea which is the 'correct' routing...

Last edited by elcalen; 01-18-2022 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:44 AM   #16
chmaha

Quote:
The problem I have with using ReaVerb for "True Stereo" is that in order to get the routings correct so that the left input feeds the proper first two tracks of the quad impulse, and the right input feeds tracks three and four of the impulse, you have to set the pins in ReaVerb like this,
Almost, but I believe you have the pins the wrong way around for the input: https://i.imgur.com/JDGecpM.png

As for the monophonic issue, I've never noticed to be honest as I always use reverb 100% wet on a bus.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:12 AM   #17
Glennbo

Quote:
Huh. I only ever use ReaVerb as a bus send with 100% wet, so I wasn't aware of that issue...

Edit: interestingly, the track channels in your screenshot are also reversed from what I've been using, which was based on routing that was suggested by someone on the forums back when the multichannel support was first added... Experimenting with this a little, the two routings sound a little different, but I have no idea which is the 'correct' routing...
What I found in my in depth experimentation was that REAPER's pin number 2 is the freeking left channel, which is basakwards to my way of thinking, but then the master fader in REAPER is on the left so a left handed left brane person musta wired that stuff up.

I've used a final "whole mix" impulse reverb on my sub-master since before I was using REAPER. The idea is not to put lush tails on vocals or something, but to use a medium warm sounding room impulse so the entire performance (all tracks) sound like they played together in that same room. Also I mix the room sound so light compared to the dry that you have to bypass the effect to tell that it is doing anything, but there is more cohesion with the room than without.

Edit:

I believe now that I was seeing the bizarre effect of having experimented, leaving channels wired up from that experimentation, even though I pulled down the presets menu and selected "Reset to factory default".

Evidently you must also drill into the menus and select "Zero out unmapped output channels" or you end up with phantom shit that makes you believe and see that pin 2 feeds the left.

Last edited by Glennbo; 01-18-2022 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:33 AM   #18
martblek

Definitely this
https://library.vcvrack.com/Valley/Plateau
martblek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:54 AM   #19
chmaha

Quote:
The pinouts I have in my image were what would phase cancel the most with rendered waves that were processed through the LSP Impulse Reverb, which I trust to be the proper setup for "True Stereo".
I actually gave up on LSP plugins because they were actly very odd in all sorts of circumstances. Take the limiter, for example. Using x42 limiter, ReaLimit, Sound Gambit (x42) etc give results as expected (proper brickwall true peak ceiling) but LSP was just plain weird with loads of overs despite 4x, 8x oversampling...

I may have been having a bad tech day but I simply gave up in the same way I just gave up on Calf plugins (but for very different reasons).

Well, that's a very long-winded way of saying that I don't really trust LSP for the impulse reverbs (finding very odd behavior in that particular plugin too). I'd rather A/B against Fog Convolver, Reverberate or other well-known Win VST. Samplicity recorded thinking of LRLR topology (90% certain) so that in my mind is the pinning as shown in my screenshot. Maybe Justin can chime in about 1) the potential wrong channel pinning (pin 2 is left?!) and 2) the dry mono issue?
Old 01-18-2022, 10:55 AM   #20
elcalen

Quote:
What I found in my in depth experimentation was that REAPER's pin number 2 is the freeking left channel, which is basakwards to my way of thinking, but then the master fader in REAPER is on the left so a left handed left brane person musta wired that stuff up.
This is definitely not the case for me... If I send only to channel 1, I get audio on the left, and with channel 2 on right...

(EDIT: For what it's worth, there are other LSP plugins I personally do use and like. For convolution, for me, it was mostly a question of UI, for which I found ReaVerb more to my liking...)

Last edited by elcalen; 01-18-2022 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:00 AM   #21
chmaha

Quote:
This is definitely not the case for me... If I send only to channel 1, I get audio on the left, and with channel 2 on right...
Yeah, just tried this myself...definitely Left is left and Right is right ...
Old 01-18-2022, 11:36 AM   #22
Mcgiver69

Quote:
Which Lexicon impulses do you use?

For me, it's almost all yabridged:

Reverb Foundry HD Cart (best IMHO)
Exponential Audio, Nimbus, Phoenixverb, R4, R2
Voxengo CRTIV Reverb
Toneboosters
Reaverb with Bricasti impulses (so close to Seventh Heaven and I actually think I prefer them)

I want to like the airwindows verbs but they are not true stereo so sound weird to my ears compared to the ones above. Dragonfly verbs are just OK to my ears and not really in the same league. I experimented for years with all the free options but I always circle back to the paid options. They might be more forgiving in a dense mix but when adding realistic reverb to a single instrument they don't do so well.
I use Big Gee's Lexicon LX480l impulses
https://www.housecallfm.com/download...l-lexicon-480l
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:05 PM   #23
Glennbo

Quote:
I actually gave up on LSP plugins because they were actly very odd in all sorts of circumstances. Take the limiter, for example. Using x42 limiter, ReaLimit, Sound Gambit (x42) etc give results as expected (proper brickwall true peak ceiling) but LSP was just plain weird with loads of overs despite 4x, 8x oversampling...

I may have been having a bad tech day but I simply gave up in the same way I just gave up on Calf plugins (but for very different reasons).

Well, that's a very long-winded way of saying that I don't really trust LSP for the impulse reverbs (finding very odd behavior in that particular plugin too). I'd rather A/B against Fog Convolver, Reverberate or other well-known Win VST. Samplicity recorded thinking of LRLR topology (90% certain) so that in my mind is the pinning as shown in my screenshot. Maybe Justin can chime in about 1) the potential wrong channel pinning (pin 2 is left?!) and 2) the dry mono issue?
If you drag one of those quad impulses into a track in REAPER you can see that they match up with this diagram, where the left channel is first routed to tracks 1 and 2 of the impulse file, and the right channel is routed to tracks 3 and 4 of the impulse file.

Edit: I'm seeing even weirder stuff now when messing with the pins in ReaVerb. Putting all pins to one side, with or without an impulse, set to 100% wet and no dry results in meter activity on both channels. It is a stronger signal now on the left when only pin 1 is selected, but it's not 100% to the left as I would have expected.

Surmise it to say, I find ReaVerb to be unpredictable, and is one of the reasons I don't use it. I first stated using True Stereo with KlangFalter, and later switched to LSP Impulse Reverb. That's the only LSP plugin I use and it's the LV2 version I use. I've never seen the LSP verb do anything other than what I expected it to do.

Last edited by Glennbo; 01-18-2022 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:49 PM   #24
Glennbo

Quote:
Yeah, just tried this myself...definitely Left is left and Right is right ...
I'm no longer seeing that anomaly, which I was seeing the day I took that screen shot.

What I'm seeing now is if I set all the pins in a fresh instance of ReaVerb to pin 1, the signal coming out is stronger on the left, but still present on the right, which is not what I would expect to see happen. The incoming source is a mono track of kick and snare hitting at the same time.

It gets even weirder. If I pull the dry fader all the way down, then the meters show the signal being hotter on the right, and maybe that's what I originally was seeing.

And if I pull both the wet and dry faders down all the way I'm seeing this, which is signal only on the right, which I would not expect. I would have expected all sound to stop passing through ReaVerb and have no meter showing any activity.

Additionally,this may or may not have anything to do with it, but I use "Stereo Pan" so all my tracks have a width control if I need it, rather than the default setting of "Stereo Balance Mono/Pan".

Last edited by Glennbo; 02-23-2022 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:19 PM   #25
elcalen

Oh, I just thought of something: try clicking on I/O in the pin dialogue, and selecting "Zero out unmapped output channels".

By default, if a plugin has no output to a particular channel, it'll just route that channel through as if the plugin was bypassed...
Old 01-18-2022, 01:36 PM   #26
PMan

Free/OS verbs:
All of the TAL reverbs, my fave TAL is Reverb-II.
Dragonfly Room & Hall
MVerb. It's not stereo, but I still use it.
ShiroVerb. Mono in, stereo out (???) It does the pitch shifted reverb thing.
It's in the Shiro plugins collection at KXStudios: https://kx.studio/Repositories:Plugins
ReaVerb with Big Gee's Lexicon LX480l impulses
And Saiki's Abyss Reverb

Paid:
EOS2 from Audio Damage. It's finicky tho. Sometimes, when I first open a project, EOS2 won't put out any sound. If I open the FX window and the EOS2 GUI displays, Reaper crashes - hard. I have to log out to my computer back.
Once it starts working, no problem. It's only when it first starts.
I recently bought the U-He MFM2.5 beta. I thought it was "only" a delay, but that puppy does reverb, as well. I'm just getting my feet wet with that, but so far, it's great.

Good info here, I'm gonna try quad impulse/true stereo convolution thing...
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:38 PM   #27
s wave

Just great info and wisdom/insight here. MUCH appreciated. I must say... there are quite a few things I did not even know was out there. Today, I am going to try to track some reverb on vocals - while a monitor plays back the vocal while recording live. (I got a feeling here) - I think it is a good feeling LOL - will see and yell back. I also get a nice pseudo reverb by running vocals through a MOOG soft synth... and it is very adjustable... (I will also have to make/DIY a spring verb soon)
Old 01-18-2022, 01:44 PM   #28
Glennbo

Quote:
Oh, I just thought of something: try clicking on I/O in the pin dialogue, and selecting "Zero out unmapped output channels".

By default, if a plugin has no output to a particular channel, it'll just route that channel through as if the plugin was bypassed...
THAT, seems to have made a difference. My second screen shot where ReaVerb was passing signal even though both wet and dry faders were at zero, instantly stopped showing signal the moment I clicked the zero out option.

I'm still gonna keep using the LSP Impulse Reverb because it doesn't require all the hoop jumping with pinouts that make the dry signal mono in order for the wet signal to be "True Stereo", and I've never had any issue using it for years.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:21 PM   #29
elcalen

Quote:
I'm still gonna keep using the LSP Impulse Reverb because it doesn't require all the hoop jumping with pinouts that make the dry signal mono in order for the wet signal to be "True Stereo", and I've never had any issue using it for years.
Oh yeah, absolutely use whatever works best for you. The only things that really matter is that a) you like the sound, and b) the workflow works for you.

Other stuff besides IRs I've used include: Aural Verb by Audio Assault (commercial). It's really straightforward, not a lot of settings, and sounds reasonable... But I found the Bricasti IRs sounded more natural so I've pretty much switched to those. Occasionally I use TAL stuff. For some weirder effects I've liked Galactic by Airwindows. That one can make some ridiculously long effects, I've used it combined with pitch shifting to make a shimmer reverb style effect....
Old 01-18-2022, 02:27 PM   #30
bFooz

A good free reverb is OrilRiver https://www.kvraudio.com/product/ori...-denis-tihanov .

I use Pro-R mostly (with this one I had a wow moment) but still keep OrilRiver in the plugin list.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 02:30 PM   #31
chmaha

Quote:
THAT, seems to have made a difference. My second screen shot where ReaVerb was passing signal even though both wet and dry faders were at zero, instantly stopped showing signal the moment I clicked the zero out option.

Yeah, I can confirm the mono dry signal...that's really, really odd
Old 01-18-2022, 02:38 PM   #32
Glennbo

Quote:
Oh yeah, absolutely use whatever works best for you. The only things that really matter is that a) you like the sound, and b) the workflow works for you.
Since ReaVerb requires pinouts to do "True Stereo" that cause its dry side to become mono, it's not even a reverb I would consider for the task I need it to do, which is to chunk an instance on my sub-master and put the whole mix/band in the same room/space, and use the wet and dry faders to adjust.

Quote:
Other stuff besides IRs I've used include: Aural Verb by Audio Assault (commercial). It's really straightforward, not a lot of settings, and sounds reasonable... But I found the Bricasti IRs sounded more natural so I've pretty much switched to those. Occasionally I use TAL stuff. For some weirder effects I've liked Galactic by Airwindows. That one can make some ridiculously long effects, I've used it combined with pitch shifting to make a shimmer reverb style effect....
I've used the A&M Records Room from the Bricasti on my sub-master for at least the last 15 projects I've put up on my music page. All were using the LSP Impulse Reverb, and mixing the wet to dry ratio using the plugin.

Another reverb that is really great but consumes a LOT of CPU is the JS based "Tukan Lexikan2", which is a very good Lexicon sounding reverb.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:43 PM   #33
Glennbo

Quote:
Yeah, I can confirm the mono dry signal...that's really, really odd
To me, the dry signal should not be affected at all no matter what you are doing with pinouts for the effect, especially when the plugin container is set for 2 track channels.

What's happening is the dry side is being affected by the pinouts, and is being treated like two stereo images on top of each other and with one of them reversed, which makes the dry side mono.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:54 PM   #34
chmaha

Quote:
To me, the dry signal should not be affected at all no matter what you are doing with pinouts for the effect, especially when the plugin container is set for 2 track channels.

What's happening is the dry side is being affected by the pinouts, and is being treated like two stereo images on top of each other and with one of them reversed, which makes the dry side mono.
I totally agree with you. Have the devs previously commented on this?
Old 01-18-2022, 03:02 PM   #35
Glennbo

Quote:
I totally agree with you. Have the devs previously commented on this?
No. I've mentioned this in several different threads, but nobody from Cockos has noticed. I even put in a feature request to make doing "True Stereo" possible without making the dry side mono.

Edit: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=260298

The best way to achieve it in my way of thinking is to put a pan control on each track of the input side of the impulse file, and a second pan control on the output side of each track of the impulse file. No pins would need to be changed then, so the dry stereo signal would not be altered.

Last edited by Glennbo; 01-18-2022 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:46 PM   #36
s wave

Quote:
No. I've mentioned this in several different threads, but nobody from Cockos has noticed. I even put in a feature request to make doing "True Stereo" possible without making the dry side mono.

Edit: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=260298

The best way to achieve it in my way of thinking is to put a pan control on each track of the input side of the impulse file, and a second pan control on the output side of each track of the impulse file. No pins would need to be changed then, so the dry stereo signal would not be altered.
It would be so wonderful to have upvotes on posts... you post wold get flooded by them... perhaps turning a head? Something like this is very important I agree.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:56 PM   #37
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
It would be so wonderful to have upvotes on posts... you post wold get flooded by them... perhaps turning a head? Something like this is very important I agree.
I don't use 95% of the stuff that Cockos adds to REAPER, but I do use impulse reverbs (and peak limiters) in every project I do in REAPER. For the time being, I'm using the LSP Impulse Reverb and the X42 Peak Limiter because they both do what I need without workarounds or extra steps.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:06 PM   #38
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by martblek View Post
I like this too, but it's probably not for everyone. It comes with a lot of (awesome) baggage
Old 01-19-2022, 01:36 AM   #39
chmaha

Inspired by the thread, I went looking for yet more reverbs and added Lexikan and Lexikan 2 (both free JSFX) to my rotation: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/43504/TUKANPLUGINS.png

Very impressive...
Old 01-19-2022, 07:05 AM   #40
krahosk

Yes, thank you for reminding me the Tukan JS plugins. The reverb can do quite a lot!
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote