Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-24-2022, 12:09 AM   #1
bobmir
Human being with feelings

Default Locks up after render - V6.46

Hi, I've finished my first project and am trying to render it.

I open the Render window, enter the directory and filename, then select MP3 (though it does the exact same thing if I choose WAV). All other settings I leave at default. I've tried to snip and upload the window, but it gets rejected as being too big.

When I click on Render 1 file, the window momentarily disappears and comes back, then the Reaper icon in the taskbar slowly changes to green over 30s or so, and when it's finished, the output file is complete and where I asked it to be, but Reaper is locked up. If I click anywhere I get the windows 'don't click that' bong noise. The only way out is to use Task Manager to end the Reaper process. This was happening on V6.45, so I updated to V6.46 and it's the same.

So I get my output file, I just have to kill Reaper and re-start it to carry on. I've attached a snip of the render window in case I've got a dumb setting...
bobmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 01:37 AM   #2
jrk

Have you closed the Render window?
Old 01-24-2022, 12:23 PM   #3
bobmir

I can't. That's the problem. If I click on anything on the window, including the X in the top right hand corner, it just does that Windows system bong noise. Which implies there's another window hiding somewhere that I need to close first, but I can't see anything.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:36 PM   #4
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmir View Post
I can't. That's the problem. If I click on anything on the window, including the X in the top right hand corner, it just does that Windows system bong noise. Which implies there's another window hiding somewhere that I need to close first, but I can't see anything.
It sounds as if the window that Reaper shows during render, where it lists progress and LUFS and stuff hides behind Reaper or behind the Render dialog. If you hit Alt+Tab can you maybe give focus to that window to bring it to the front?
Old 01-24-2022, 12:36 PM   #5
schwa
Administrator

It does sound like there's a modal window behind something, waiting for input. What happens if you minimize all REAPER windows by clicking in the taskbar, then clicking again to foreground them?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:46 PM   #6
jrk

what about -> options -> Preferences "automatically close render window..."
Old 01-24-2022, 11:55 PM   #7
bobmir

Magnificent! Thanks very much everyone. I've found the issue. I have a laptop with a USB docking station with two monitors on it. If I move the Reaper window to the laptop screen, select Render, I get the Options window, and if I click on Render 1 File there, I get a new window I've not seen before, with the progress and stats as you describe. When it's finished, I click on Close, and everything works perfectly.

For some reason, if I have the Reaper window on one of the docking station monitors, the options window appears, but the progress window doesn't. Even ALT+TAB only switches me from application to application, so when I come back to Reaper, it still only shows me the Options window in front of the main Reaper window, no sign of the progress window.

Something weird about the way Windows handles opening windows on the main display vs extended desktop displays, I think!

But my immediate problem is solved - thanks again!!!
Old 01-25-2022, 12:54 AM   #8
jrk

Glad you got it sorted. You could edit the subject on your first post to include "Solved" for folks who come across this thread in the future.

I suppose one might have guessed it was a multiple monitor thing - you could have mentioned that