Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 03-18-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
audiovoid
Human being with feelings

Default wish I could swap to alt+drag=COPY

I love reaper and could see myself really getting down with its workflow except for one major thing that is (and always will be) bugging me.

The default modifier command for click copy/pasting is cmd+drag. Pretty much every other program I've ever used uses alt(option)+drag. Even default functions in os x use alt+drag for copy-pasting.
Currently in reaper, alt+dragging just slides contents around inside of a region without moving the region itself. Awesome feature, but I really think it should be (or have the option to be) set as a different modifier than alt.
Infact It would make so much sense (to me) if , for these two functions I've been talking about, alt and cmd were simply swapped.

I really wish that in a future update cockos could include an option under general preferences to enable this. Maybe an option to "swap Modifiers Alt and Cmd for click dragging"?

Anybody else agree on this?

Last edited by audiovoid; 03-18-2009 at 12:58 PM.
audiovoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
jas

+1 Yes, and I think most Mac users would agree with you as well.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #3
audiovoid

Better yet, if Cockos could just integrate the ability for users to customize modifier keys in addition to the regular key commands then that would be perfect.
Infact In between posting this I ran into another modifier that I wish I could change. It's for shift+clicking on a mixer channel's fx or instrument slot to Bypass it. In Logic (and I believe pro tools as well) it is alt+click which will bypass. Further more, in Reaper alt+clicking actually deletes the fx send or instrument.
However, to Reaper's credit, at least you are able to Undo that action. Where is, Logic and pro tools don't support undo of mixer actions at all.

Please cockos. Give us customizable modifier+click commands please.
audiovoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:35 PM   #4
fuseburn

(...sorry...nonsense-post by me...wrong section...)
fuseburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
Amberience

Agreed with this I am, much very.
Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
Hookflash

Do Reaper's keyboard shortcuts vary according to platform? If not, I think CTRL+click-drag should remain the default, since it's the standard shortcut for copying in Windows, and Windows users outnumber OSX users.
Hookflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #7
Jae.Thomas

ctrl+drag seems more consistent with other programs to me.

but, i think the answer here is a modifiable mouse control/zones etc.

several people have different mockups of what this would be like.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
Jae.Thomas

vote for this feature:

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=892

keep in mind, if you want to link to other discussions, thats great, so the devs can see the different thoughts and ideas.

do NOT write meaningless crap in the tracker. No "Me too" or "+1"

Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:37 PM   #9
kerryg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
ctrl+drag seems more consistent with other programs to me.
PC programs, perhaps. On the Mac, it's "option-drag" to copy, essentially in all Mac applications. Always has been, always will be.

This is the Apple Human User Interface Guidelines, the "bible" for Mac interface design.

Quote:
When to Check the Option Key State
Your application should check whether the Option key is pressed at drop time. This behavior gives the user the flexibility of making the move-or-copy decision at a later point in the drag-and-drop sequence. Pressing the Option key during the drag-and-drop sequence should not “latch” for the remainder of the sequence.

Note: The Option key does not act as a toggle switch; Option-dragging between containers always initiates a copy operation. This guideline helps users learn that Option means copy.
http://developer.apple.com/documenta...TP30000364-TP9

This is a Mac fundamental, and if Reaper aims to be a Mac app used by Mac users, copy-drag has to be invoked in a Mac-like fashion (although I can certainly see the logic of making this switchable for the benefit of Windows users occasionally using Reaper on the Mac). A toggle for "use Windows UI conventions" in general preferences would do it, and could be extended to add other functions as the need for them arises. But as it is on Reaper Mac, it's not a matter of taste - it's just wrong.

Last edited by kerryg; 08-08-2009 at 04:48 PM.
kerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:39 PM   #10
bennals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookflash View Post
Do Reaper's keyboard shortcuts vary according to platform? If not, I think CTRL+click-drag should remain the default, since it's the standard shortcut for copying in Windows, and Windows users outnumber OSX users.
I guess it becomes a question of whether the developers want to treat the Mac platform as a serious option. Forcing users to unlearn habits that are entrenched platform conventions might not be the best way of doing so. FWIW, I think they do treat it seriously and recognise the growing Mac user base, particularly in the audio world. User definable modifier keys would be an easy way to do it, especially if the Mac version could be set up with the standard Mac conventions as default.

Bill.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #11
kerryg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennals View Post
...I guess it becomes a question of whether the developers want to treat the Mac platform as a serious option. Forcing users to unlearn habits that are entrenched platform conventions might not be the best way of doing so...

Bingo. I don't want to option-drag in seven other apps that morning and boot up Reaper and have to remember to discipline myself to control-drag - and then switch back and be option-dragging in every other app I use for the rest of the day. Reaper is an excellent program and I'm having real fun with it - but someone reversing my modifier keys on me for such a basic and frequently accessed operation is something I'd *really* rather do without.

The "outnumbered by Windows users" thing is irrelevant to discussion of the functioning of a Mac app as experienced by a Mac user who's operating it. No offense intended, but what Windows users might expect isn't anything to do with that.

Last edited by kerryg; 08-09-2009 at 01:20 PM.
kerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:58 PM   #12
permeke

oldie but has this been solved somehow ?
After using Reaper for many years I still keep struggling with this command thing.
Especially when I try to unsolo several tracks at once. In my book it is option+click.
permeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:19 PM   #13
Fergler

Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:26 PM   #14
permeke

Ok , found that too, but how to change command+ click to option + click on certain things like buttons etc ?
permeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 11:43 PM   #15
Phazma

We have custom modifiers for many things but sadly not TCP buttons yet..
Also I wish we could customize FX-list commands so that we can alt-drag to copy them and normal drag to move them (like everything on macOS).
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 08:52 PM   #16
rewgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
We have custom modifiers for many things but sadly not TCP buttons yet..
Also I wish we could customize FX-list commands so that we can alt-drag to copy them and normal drag to move them (like everything on macOS).
Yup. Customizing my mouse modifiers and key commands now and this want is precisely why I'm on this thread.

I really love that the MIDI piano roll has its own action list -- would love the mixer to be treated the same. Having the same key command at different scopes is wonderful. For instance, would love to set Cmd+c to "Copy FX," but as of now I can't see a way. Wanted to make it option+drag...still no dice.
rewgs is offline   Reply With Quote