Old 01-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
Klazie
Human being with feelings

Default Sonitus in Reaper?

I have Sonar X1 Studio and wanted to use the sonitus fx plugins in Reaper, but I can't get it to work. (I've read several forum threads wherein people say it's possible to use the sonitus plugins)
First I added the Sonar folders containing the sonitus fx to the list in Reaper to scan. No result. Then I copied those folders into my default VST folder, but still no result.
For other users of Sonar X1: I'm referring to these folders:
Program files (x86)/Cakewalk/Shared Plugins, and Program files (x86)/Cakewalk/Shared Plugins 2
Perhaps I'm forgetting something?
Klazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
DarkStar

Are you sure that they are not locked to Sonar?

Are they listed at all in your reaper-vstplugins.ini fil. You can find the folder containing that file, from the Options Menu >> Open Reaper resources ... (or similar). If not, then Reaper did not find them at all. If the line are there but look incomplete, then Reaper encountered a problem when scanning them.

I bought the separate Sonitus bundle some time ago and they work OK in various hosts.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
mabian

Have you looked at the DX category? I believe the Sonitus plugins bundled in SONAR are DX, not VST.

EDIT: just tried (I have SONAR 8.5.3) and Sonitus Reverb has opened with no problem in REAPER x86 in Windows 7 x64.
I confirm they are DX plugins.

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
stumpbroke1

yes they are 64bit and 32bit DX plugins, DX scanner found them the first time, they have been working just fine for me ever since, under preferences scan for new DX plugins. I haven't been able to get the single band compressor to work for some reason, and the delay will show up as DXi but they do work.
stumpbroke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
EvilDragon

I have a VST version of Sonitus:fx that came with Sonar 7, they still work in Reaper.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:35 PM   #6
icemac

still works fine for me in 32bit.
but could be the end of the road unless there is a x64 version

the gate is the best there is. what is as good to replace it?
icemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:43 AM   #7
rothchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemac View Post

the gate is the best there is. what is as good to replace it?
Don't overlook Reagate, it's also very good.

When I installed Reaper it picked up my Sonitus plugs ok except for the EQ. There's a text file in the plugin settings folder that needed editing to get reaper to show all the plugs (I also used it to hide a bunch of other stuff I didn't want to see in there).

Child
rothchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:56 AM   #8
Klazie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Are you sure that they are not locked to Sonar?

Are they listed at all in your reaper-vstplugins.ini fil. You can find the folder containing that file, from the Options Menu >> Open Reaper resources ... (or similar). If not, then Reaper did not find them at all. If the line are there but look incomplete, then Reaper encountered a problem when scanning them.
They're listed, but the lines are incomplete...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (63.5 KB, 323 views)
Old 01-09-2012, 05:34 AM   #9
DarkStar

^^^^
Ah ha, so Reaper found them but ran into a problem when scanning them. Looking in my folders, I see that each VST is accompanied by a .chm and a .ini file is the same folder; Reaper accessing them could be the problem.

Try running Reaper "as Administrator"; right-click the shortcut or .exe file to get the menu. You might also turn off User Account Control (depending on who uses your system).

More info over here:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=94693
Old 01-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #10
Klazie

Changed administator settings for Reaper, edited properties\security settings for the folder containing the sonitus plugins, did a clear cache and rescan. Still nothing, and still incomplete lines in the .ini file.
Dammit!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #11
mabian

Have you checked they don't show up under the "DX:" category in FX browser, instead of "VST"?

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #12
Klazie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
Have you checked they don't show up under the "DX:" category in FX browser, instead of "VST"?

- Mario
Yup, nothing there
Old 04-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #13
musicroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazie View Post
Yup, nothing there

Go to reaper dxi.ini file and change "sonitus=0" to "sonitus=1" and it should appear in the fx list.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #14
kgarello

Check the ini file referenced earlier... I had to change the ini file so that it would see the compressor. The rest of the sonitus worked fine after first scan, but for some reason it didn't like the compressor. It works fine once enabled, though

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpbroke1 View Post
yes they are 64bit and 32bit DX plugins, DX scanner found them the first time, they have been working just fine for me ever since, under preferences scan for new DX plugins. I haven't been able to get the single band compressor to work for some reason, and the delay will show up as DXi but they do work.
kgarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #15
Burillo

when REAPER can't see a particular plugin for some reason, it always helps to disable "get VST plugin names while scanning", clear cache and rescan, then re-enable that checkbox and clear cache and rescan again.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #16
Geo524

I have Sonar X1d Exp and all the Sonitus plugins work in Reaper 32/64 bit. I pointed Reaper to my Cakewalk VST folder. Funny, but I can't get the Reaper plugins to work in Sonar...
Old 04-07-2012, 12:54 AM   #17
Klazie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicroom View Post
Go to reaper dxi.ini file and change "sonitus=0" to "sonitus=1" and it should appear in the fx list.
I don't have a dxi.ini file. I do have a dxplugins64.ini file, but sonitus isn't listed in there.
Instead the sonitus plugins are listed in the vstplugins64.ini file, but as you can see in the screenshot there's something wrong as the lines are not complete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dxplugins64.jpg (34.3 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg vstplugins64.jpg (64.2 KB, 305 views)
Old 05-08-2017, 03:42 PM   #18
Andaraginga

I am one of those people who migrated from SONAR to Reaper and want to use the sonitus plugins in Reaper.

At the moment I don't get these plugins to work but I am not sure what the problem is. Is it because I...

a) did not properly install the plugins
b) did not put them in the right folder
c) do have to make some changes in the reaper-vstplugins64.ini (like set "Load=1", as I read in some posts)
d) forgot something else

So here are some questions and explanations:

1) If I set up a new computer with Reaper is it necessary to INSTALL the sonitus plugins? Or can I simply copy the sonitus dll files from another computer (where SONAR was installed)?

I have computer A were both SONAR and Reaper are installed. On this computer Reaper found the sonitus plugins with no problem.
Now I have a new computer B and tried to simply copy the sonitus plugins from computer 1 and I didn't get it to work.

Is this the problem? Is installing the plugins the key?

2) If an installation of the sonitus plugins is necessary how can that be done?
Does the downloadable SONAR setup.exe allow for some kind of custom installation that only includes plugins or how can that be done?

3) Do I have to pay attention to WHERE I put the plugins or can it be any folder and it is just important to tell Reaper where to find it.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:45 AM   #19
Talulah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazie View Post
I don't have a dxi.ini file. I do have a dxplugins64.ini file, but sonitus isn't listed in there.
Instead the sonitus plugins are listed in the vstplugins64.ini file, but as you can see in the screenshot there's something wrong as the lines are not complete
Did you ever get this sorted Klazie? I have exactly the same problem!
Talulah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:31 AM   #20
emwhy

Former SONAR guy here as well. I can use most of the Sonitus suite in Reaper without issue, but had the same problems.

The Sonitus plug-ins are not vst unless you use a wrapper to make the .dll file appear as vsts. They are Direct X, always have been. To use them in Reaper you will need to find your Reaper.ini file. Open the file in a text editor and search for this line:

usedxplugs=1

Odds are the value will be set to "0". Change it to "1" (without the quotes) save the file and reopen Reaper. It should find them now and they should work. One caution is the Sonitus compressor. I'm not sure but I think Reaper doesn't like it's side chaining function and it will crash the program.

To find the Reaper.ini file you will need to navigate to the "users" folder on your C drive and then Appdata/Roaming/Reaper

Hope this helps.
emwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:46 PM   #21
poetnprophet

Ah, I have a soft spot for Sonitus, that's where I learned processing first. Rea plugs remind me of Sonitus: crappy looking (but very functional) UI, good sounding plugs.

I'll have to see if mine still work, hmmm...
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:58 PM   #22
juliansader

Unlike VST plugins, which may be simple dll files that you can copy to your VST folder, DX plugins are installed and registered in Windows by running an installer, similar to how REAPER itself is installed, and their files don't need to be installed into specific folders.

To enable DX plugins, you can edit the ini file as described above, or go to Preferences -> Plugins -> ReWire/DX -> Enable DX plug-ins.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote