Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #41
bozmillar
Human being with feelings

Have you ever thought of making this a platform that other people can use to sample their own kits? The closes thing I can find is sfz players, but I haven't seen any dedicated to drums like this interface.
bozmillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #42
Smurf

I am getting the message that the first .rar. is broken, all three times I downloaded it.

7-Zip & Rar was used...anyone else?
Old 02-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #43
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I'm looking into the issues now.

Regarding adding your own samples, the reason I made this is because the majors don't allow you to add your own samples in a very good way. I was hoping for a sfz player that would do it, and when I couldnt find one, I found Maize, which at least allows me to do my library
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:29 AM   #44
Grisemine

Works nicely here, sounds very good, thank you much !
Grisemine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #45
bozmillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
I'm looking into the issues now.

Regarding adding your own samples, the reason I made this is because the majors don't allow you to add your own samples in a very good way. I was hoping for a sfz player that would do it, and when I couldnt find one, I found Maize, which at least allows me to do my library
yeah, I've been looking for the same thing and couldn't find one. I wonder if there is an open source sfz player out there.
bozmillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #46
Swamp Ape

I feel kind of dumb now, but I can't get this to work at all. I downloaded the samples three times and tried both versions of the windows32 vst, but all I get is "no instrument found". I tried having the dll and mse in the same folder in my vst plugins, I tried moving the dll out of the folder, renaming the folder, redownloading everything again....nothing. (I'm on XP 32 bit.) Am I just stupidly missing a step? I really want to try this...
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #47
pipelineaudio
Mortal

swamp ape, it should look something like this

Old 02-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #48
pipelineaudio
Mortal

OK guys, SUPER sorry bout this, I've been going back and forth with the Maize guy about how to make this so nobody has to redownload the giant files

Apparently, my pidgin is not up to the task of his mandarin and we had several miscommunications over the last year

I have a version of the plugin that seems to have all the issues fixed, but it requires a massive library redownload. I'm trying to work on an alternate solution right now.

You shouldn't have to download a 1.4 gig file for every update, I'm trying to communicate that right now. If anyone's chinese is better than mine, I could use some help
Old 02-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #49
suleiman

I've finally minimized the latency and am pounding the hell outta the alesis pad. Really loving your kit 's sounds. One thing : seemed to very occasionally trigger a random sample at max volume/ vel. But this hapoened like only twice in around 20 mins of playing.

I'll try the sfz with tx16w tomorrow. The re downloading for the wavs will take a while. Any ideas on how to setup multi outs in that sampler with sfz. Do i have to do it with each sample individually?

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #50
Smurf

I have no problem with big downloads, I just do them overnight, but after another 4 downloads of KMS Drums SSE.instruments.part01 I still am getting the broke message....I guess it is just me, seeing that everyone else has it working! LOL
Old 02-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #51
Swamp Ape

Okay, I got it. No idea what was going on, but it's working. Sounds great, but it's a little too much for my crappy computer at the moment. I'll keep checking new versions - if I can get this to work I'll probably use it all the time. Thanks again pipe!
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #52
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Still working on some fixes
Old 02-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #53
androo

Default good sounds, thanks

I had a short while to play around with this and everything worked perfectly and sounded nice. Thank you for sharing. I particularly like the cymbals.
Much appreciated.
androo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #54
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Sorry guys, really really having a hard time communicating ideas with Maize. I'm sure I'm frustrating the hell out of him, and I am truly sorry to everyone involved. On the bright side, it looks like I might be able to resolve some of these issues, and hoping like hell it doesnt involve anyone redownloading anything big
Old 02-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #55
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Turns out the info about the plugin and player are stored in the MSE file and not the plugin dll

We've been speaking back and forth and have come up with a solution. It will for sure work for the windows guys and the changes are being made to the files on the website right now

Still looking for a solution for the mac guys

The bad news is that its going to require everyone download a giant set of wave files

The good news is that the update files will be universal, small, and painless

I'll let you know when all is well
Old 02-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #56
hopi

hey pipe... no worries.... dl's only take time... they don't hurt yer back, you know?

Now moving my wood pile to get ready for winter... that's another story.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #57
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Forgot to mention, the other good news is that the new paradigm will allow for me to later add a way for people to put in their own wave files
Old 02-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #58
suleiman

Quote:
Turns out the info about the plugin and player are stored in the MSE file and not the plugin dll

We've been speaking back and forth and have come up with a solution. It will for sure work for the windows guys and the changes are being made to the files on the website right now

Still looking for a solution for the mac guys

The bad news is that its going to require everyone download a giant set of wave files

The good news is that the update files will be universal, small, and painless

I'll let you know when all is well
Thank you for the hard work. Much appreciated.

Interesting that the mse needs to be broken into individual wavs = drum hits seperate + maize data / settings seperate
Maybe a hint to all the other monolith format obsessed sampler developers

Salamat
Old 02-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #59
pipelineaudio
Mortal

The nice thing is the new ones aren't going to require an MSE at all, just an MS2 project file, so that all you need to change is the ms2 itself, and there is no render involved, you will be working from the EXACT same ms2 file that I'm currently working on. It'll almost always be less than 10 megs and just an easy paste into your folder.

I think he made the MSE thing so that people could protect their sample content, but that isnt an issue in this case
Old 02-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #60
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Just received some excellent news from Maize! Should be back on track in a little bit
Old 02-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #61
pipelineaudio
Mortal

OK, updated instructions on the first post

If you have previously downloaded the original version of this plugin, please delete any "*.mse" files you have on your hard drive. Be sure your library path contains the new wave files instead

Sorry about that

But this opens up a lot of doors now
Old 02-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #62
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I know its a lot to ask, but I'm dying to know if this choke logic for the hi hat will work, if so I'm going to add it to the crashes, ride and china
Old 02-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #63
SonicAxiom

is there a way to install this keeping the big library on another partition instead of C:\...\Vstplugins with only the dll file staying there? I'm trying hard to keep my c:\ partition as small as possible to keep its macrium image files as small as possible in return.

thanx
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #64
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I guess you could tell reaper to look for vst plugins wherever you end up putting it. I think the dll has to be one level higher than the instruments folder
Old 02-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #65
SonicAxiom

thanks, pipelineaudio, it works. so obvious I didn't even think about that option :-)

I've got a problem, however, triggering hihat notes for example triggers other sounds at the same time (using the track template or not). I fear, this might be another obvious thing that I miss ...
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #66
barbaman

Default mp3 of drum groove

is there anywhere i can here a quick demo of this kit in audio mp3?

thanks
barbaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #67
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Can you send me an rpp that shows the problem? I'm not getting that here
Old 02-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #68
Marv McQuinn

I have started getting some unwanted samples being played as well. I have a file with only the track template loaded and when I play (using virtual midi keyboard) any one of the hi hat notes (42,44,46,62) repetitively, i.e. 42,42,42,42..., other samples are playing along with the hi hat sample. Cymbals and toms seem to be what's being played, kind of randomly (haven't heard any snare or kick yet). What makes it even weirder is that it only happens if the notes are played quickly enough. If I play Closed hat (42) over and over very slowly it will only play the proper sample. As I speed up gradually I reach a point where the other samples play. The first note played is always just the proper sample. Also, this was not happening before when I was testing it yesterday, it just started today. Now after I closed reaper, restarted reaper, reloaded the track template it is not happening again yet, after a few minutes of testing. I'll be playing with it more and see if I can notice exactly when it starts, if it does it again...

Everything is sounding great otherwise and hi hat choking seems to be working well. Thanks again for sharing your project with us!!!
Marv McQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #69
pipelineaudio
Mortal

can you give me an rpp so I can make it mess up?
Old 02-21-2013, 01:27 AM   #70
suleiman

Quote:
can you give me an rpp so I can make it mess up?
As mentioned previously it happened while trying out the kit with a midi drum pad.
I will re download the wavs n the new file over the weekend and see what happens.

Salamat
Old 02-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #71
earlabs

I am having he same issue.
I have a 2 bar rhythm of kick and snare and every 4 bars (four, not two) a high tom is included. Playing the keyboard while looping messes iup the rhythm. It almost soounds as if the cache is being messed with.

Another strangeness: opening the rpp gives the message that Reaper is unable to load the instrument (Maize).

Things tstart ging crazy when I start adding stuff (like small hihats and stuff)

I love the samples, btw
Old 02-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #72
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Thanks! Looking into it, I'll see if I can borrow my cousin's Nanopad to try and repro
Old 02-26-2013, 03:23 AM   #73
arrowhen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv McQuinn View Post
I have started getting some unwanted samples being played as well. I have a file with only the track template loaded and when I play (using virtual midi keyboard) any one of the hi hat notes (42,44,46,62) repetitively, i.e. 42,42,42,42..., other samples are playing along with the hi hat sample. Cymbals and toms seem to be what's being played, kind of randomly (haven't heard any snare or kick yet). What makes it even weirder is that it only happens if the notes are played quickly enough. If I play Closed hat (42) over and over very slowly it will only play the proper sample. As I speed up gradually I reach a point where the other samples play. The first note played is always just the proper sample. Also, this was not happening before when I was testing it yesterday, it just started today. Now after I closed reaper, restarted reaper, reloaded the track template it is not happening again yet, after a few minutes of testing. I'll be playing with it more and see if I can notice exactly when it starts, if it does it again...

Everything is sounding great otherwise and hi hat choking seems to be working well. Thanks again for sharing your project with us!!!
I'm having the same problem: playing any of the hi-hat notes repeatedly will trigger the correct sound the first time and then random tom samples.

Closing and reopening the project, removing the instrument from the fx chain, or setting it to offline and back online all seem to fix the problem temporarily.

The problem occurred both in a fairly large project with a bunch of tracks and effects and in a brand new one with nothing but the supplied track template in it.

As far as I can tell the problem always arises at the start of playback, and *possibly* only at the beginning of a clip. I didn't notice any instances where it started off playing the correct notes and then started throwing in random toms in mid-playback, it would only happen after I hit stop and then hit play again. The problem never started when I was playing notes on my midi controller or entering them by hand in the midi editor, but once it did start, I'd get the random tom hits regardless of the source.

I couldn't come up with a way of reliably reproducing the problem, but it occurred pretty frequently, I'd say every ten or fifteen minutes over a 2 hour period.

I'm using the Windows 64-bit version.

I hope any of that helps because this is a really nice sounding set of drums (I *love* that ride cymbal!) and I can easily see it becoming my go-to drum solution if I can get it working reliably.
arrowhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #74
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Thank you very much! Every bit of info helps
Old 02-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #75
RoboPlankton

I'll download now and give it a run, and come back with some feedback.

Thanks for your efforts and generosity!
Old 02-27-2013, 02:31 AM   #76
jackacid

Very cool, Pipeline!

1. When I send repeated midi notes 42 (or 44 or 46), either live or from a recorded media item, I get a cycle of 16 sounds. Hi-hat on all 16; kick from the outside mic on 3, 9, and 15; low tom from the overheads on 5; and low tom from the room mics on 7.

2. I get the "Maize Sample Player - Unable to load this instrument" notice, but only when I insert your track template. Despite this message, KMS Drums loads and plays.

3. The hi tom condenser knob has no effect. The volume stays the same no matter the knob position. I turned all the other knobs to zero and soloed the hi tom track to make sure that I had not overlooked an overhead mic or something.

I hope this helps a little.
jackacid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #77
RoboPlankton

Default my feedback on KSM drums

All up and running with no problems yet!

I first tried the install on my backup computer (XP Pro, SP 3), Pentium 4, 2.39Ghz processor with only 512MB of RAM. REAPER wouldn't acknowledge the new VST when opening and froze up during a manual VST scan.

Next I tried it on my main music computer, (XP Pro, SP2) which has Pentium 4, 2.66Ghz processor and 1.5GB of RAM. REAPER took a little while to scan the new VSTi on opening, but the template project opened and I was away!

This sounds very nice indeed. There is a natural-sounding balanced identity to all the parts, and the controls are excellent. Mutes and solos would be a welcome feature, of course.

I'll be following your developments on this with great interest, Mr Pipe.

Again, many thanks!

PS:

I too got the "unable to load instrument" message as jackacid noted in the previous post, but KMS played nevertheless. What should be happening here, instead of that failure message? And what is the Maize sample player? Is it in the KMS dll? I went to maize.com and am checking stuff out there.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #78
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboPlankton View Post
I too got the "unable to load instrument" message as jackacid noted in the previous post, but KMS played nevertheless. What should be happening here, instead of that failure message? And what is the Maize sample player? Is it in the KMS dll? I went to maize.com and am checking stuff out there.
Were working out why the error is happening. What it will be eventually is to be able to load different libraries, which are called "instruments" in the Maize system

Maize makes the software that packages the libraries into a VST-i. Amazing stuff, but I take up far too much of the guy's time. I don't think he ever meant it to be for drum samplers so there's a lot of custom stuff he had to do.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #79
arrowhen

I've managed to reproduce the random tom bug in the attached project. The first set of hats play normally, after the flurry of toms and snare all subsequent hats trigger the random tom/snare hits.
Attached Files
File Type: rpp How to break KMS Drums.RPP (61.5 KB, 103 views)
arrowhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #80
pipelineaudio
Mortal

thanks a billion!