Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-18-2018, 12:49 PM   #41
Quasar
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Anyway this is like worrying about whether $60 is going to cover you for 4 years versus 5 years (a guess based on the last few n.0 releases). I bought my first license in the middle of a version cycle and it still covered me for 4 years. It's hardly worth thinking about.
This. It really isn't worth thinking about. If you want to use Reaper, buy it.

And it doesn't only "last" for two versions anyway, since you don't have to buy v7 the day it comes out. You can continue to use 6 and upgrade to 7.91 when the time comes if it makes you feel better.

And I do get (all too well) about not having much money. But the fact is that for anyone fortunate enough to be able to afford even a humble home recording studio, Reaper is a relatively trivial expense.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:26 PM   #42
fetidus

I get the idea that people want to maximize their investment in a purchase like this, but Reaper's price of $60 is so reasonable by comparison to most other DAWs, that it doesn't really matter much IMO. If you are planning on buying a professional DAW, you know the prices out there, so I don't need to refresh your memory. You're covered for probably at least the next 3-4 years with Reaper. Who cares about the version number in this case? Reaper does't really progress like other DAWs with major version numbers. So if you use it, then just buy it. And then forget about the version number for the next 3-4 years. Hopefully you'll be making a lot more money because you started using Reaper, so in 3-4 years the price then will be nothing for you. Have some confidence in yourself to make more money in 3-4 years so that this doesn't really matter. It's not like you're buying a car or house.
fetidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:34 PM   #43
Harry Diddlebock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Choose what you will, but I just wanted to explain my perspective.
Fair enough. But the thing is I can't even afford a car. I've lived in extremely cheap dumps and although have never been homeless yet, the possibility is not that far away. I'm barely affording my share of the internet bill, which is $20 a month. But because of my frugal ways, I have always been debt-free.

Even though REAPER is already so very good for its price and really the other DAWS are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off my affordability, still there's no reason for me to stop being one of those "maximum-bang-for-the-buck" buyer but just a notch more. I simply couldn't function any other way. It's set in.

I'm not sure what kind of "need scenarios" will come up where REAPER will be super-usefull again to me as in the case of the 20,000 midi items but based on the past those kind of events are rare. And it depends on the season or the months. I tend to have time around summer to noodle around with software and be in forums, etc. It was just one of those rare things that Anvil Studio could not do but REAPER could, based on my very very basic needs. I'm pretty sure REAPER could do a whole lot more than Anvil Studio if I begin to explore REAPER's capability. Word of mouth about REAPER is strong. Or rather, videos and stuff. And there are REAPER gurus that have solutions to problems. But you know... that Anvil Studio is actually listed as a "DAW" somewhere. More like a midi sequencer though. Ooops going off topic again.

I need to hear more from people who actually waited for 4.0 or 5.0. What's their experience like. A couple of them have already stated or adviced to wait. Or those who regretted not waiting when they are sooooooooooo close to a point zero version.

Whut? You people have home studios? Not me.

'For our last number, I'd like to ask your help. Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And for the rest of you, if you'll just rattle your jewelry...'
Harry Diddlebock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #44
fetidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diddlebock View Post

I need to hear more from people who actually waited for 4.0 or 5.0. What's their experience like. A couple of them have already stated or adviced to wait. Or those who regretted not waiting when they are sooooooooooo close to a point zero version.
We are NOT close to a point zero version. I think it's already been stated in this thread. Reaper undergoes a very long alpha/beta process for big version updates that could take 6-9+ months. And it hasn't even started.

For all we know, the devs will keep going on version 5 until 5.9999999999999. They are very unusual in that respect. That's why it doesn't really matter about the version number.

As for being frugal, I respect that. But if you're trying to squeeze the maximum value out of it, I honestly wouldn't worry about it for Reaper... like I mentioned, you'll have 3-4 years of free updates if you buy now. So one would have hope that your financial situation will be better in 3-4 years. But in 3-4 years the AIs might already have taken over the world and there won't be any humans left around to make music anyway. So might as well get Reaper now and enjoy it while you still can.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:17 PM   #45
X. O. Apodo

With Reaper at version 5.91 makes me believe that V6 will very shortly be released, certainly this year. The 4 year V4 to V5 was an anomaly IMO.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #46
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetidus View Post
For all we know, the devs will keep going on version 5 until 5.9999999999999. They are very unusual in that respect. That's why it doesn't really matter about the version number.
Unlike 4.x cycle, which has finished at 4.78, isn't it?
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:34 PM   #47
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTbone View Post
He said "that is NOT 'not that much' to me. I am on a very tight budget." If that's hard for you to relate to, imagine its $500..
So in spite of him saying he is in the process of making the decision whether to buy now or later, you assume he didn`t actually have the money to buy a reaper licence now, even though that IS one of the options he refers to in his posts.

This thread is turning into one of those Monty Python "Is this the five minute argument or the ten minute argument" sketches....
Old 06-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #48
fetidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by X. O. Apodo View Post
With Reaper at version 5.91 makes me believe that V6 will very shortly be released, certainly this year. The 4 year V4 to V5 was an anomaly IMO.
There's no evidence that 6.0 will be released this year. I used to think that it would be, but then I looked into previous release patterns. So maybe. Maybe not. If we go by past patterns, then 6.0 actually has a higher chance of being released next year, since the beta process will likely (based on past pattern) take at least 6 months.

I'm guessing the 6.0 public beta won't be released for at least another 2-3 months, then add at least 6 months for the beta... and you get at least 8-9 months until final release... probably more.

My reasoning is based on the hold up for Melodyne ARA2. Celemony has still not released a final version, and the beta period has been going on for a long time. ARA2 support is already coded so it's likely going to be a 5.x feature. So my guess is that the devs are going to keep feeding 5.x until ARA2 is officially released, and then that will button up the 5.x cycle. It could be months before that happens.

However, another (less likely IMO) possibility is that Reaper will be updated to 6.0 the second that ARA2 is official. That would break some prior patterns, but it would also make sense for version numbers.

Justin and Schwa are very capable of breaking normal patterns when they want to, so 6.0 beta might show up in a week or two or three! Who knows? It's totally unknown, so as for the OP, the bottom line is that if he uses the software, he should just pay for it and let the cards fall where they may. He'll get at least 3-4 years of free updates, which is really fantastic anyway.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #49
EricTbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
you assume he didn`t actually have the money to buy a reaper licence now
I neither assumed nor said that. You were talking about "worth", which is a function of cost vs provided value. However cost is relative term, so your math and his aren't necessarily the same. $80 is an hour's work for me, but the OP said he struggled to come up with a quarter of that a month ("I'm barely affording my share of the internet bill, which is $20 a month"). The cost to him is much greater.

It's hard not to judge cost relative to your own finances, so I was merely suggesting a mental tool to increase empathy: if $80 is not a lot of money for you, rather than try to put yourself in his place (harder, if you haven't been that broke in a while), simply imagine Reaper cost a lot more (easier). I pulled the number $500 out of my butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
This thread is turning into one of those Monty Python "Is this the five minute argument or the ten minute argument" sketches....
Don't look at me, man. I was literally trying to facilitate communication.

Last edited by EricTbone; 06-18-2018 at 03:31 PM.
EricTbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:21 PM   #50
EricTbone

Quote:
There's no evidence that 6.0 will be released this year. I used to think that it would be, but then I looked into previous release patterns.
If we assume the same gap as between 4 and 5, 6 might not even make 2019. If we were to extrapolate forward from the rising curve of previous release gaps, it could be like 2022. *lol*

(Note: I don't really thing that's going to happen, but... I agree there's no reason to expect it soon)

Last edited by EricTbone; 06-18-2018 at 03:28 PM.
EricTbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:39 PM   #51
fetidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTbone View Post
If we assume the same gap as between 4 and 5, 6 might not even make 2019. If we were to extrapolate forward from the rising curve of previous release gaps, it could be like 2022. *lol*

(Note: I don't really thing that's going to happen, but... I agree there's no reason to expect it soon)
Leave it to a Reaper user to come up with a graph that shows the rising curve! Hats off to you, sir! Just goes to show that you should never let anyone tell you that Reaper users aren't the most epic geeks among DAW users.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:32 PM   #52
X. O. Apodo

Quote:

My reasoning is based on the hold up for Melodyne ARA2. Celemony has still not released a final version, and the beta period has been going on for a long time. ARA2 support is already coded so it's likely going to be a 5.x feature. So my guess is that the devs are going to keep feeding 5.x until ARA2 is officially released, and then that will button up the 5.x cycle. It could be months before that happens.

However, another (less likely IMO) possibility is that Reaper will be updated to 6.0 the second that ARA2 is official. That would break some prior patterns, but it would also make sense for version numbers.
ARA2 will in my opinion be a V6 feature. and yes like you said "Reaper will be updated to 6.0 the second that ARA2 is official". This is what I am counting on. After the V6 release Reaper will quickly have some big and it interesting 6.x updates, the ones that were originally planed for V6 but were not tested as Beta's
Old 06-18-2018, 05:41 PM   #53
fetidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by X. O. Apodo View Post
ARA2 will in my opinion be a V6 feature. and yes like you said "Reaper will be updated to 6.0 the second that ARA2 is official". This is what I am counting on. After the V6 release Reaper will quickly have some big and it interesting 6.x updates, the ones that were originally planed for V6 but were not tested as Beta's
Maybe! You can never tell with Justin -- he has a sense of humor (or at least I perceive it as such) about all this version stuff... sometimes his version/feature choices are very counter-intuitive, and often surprising. I'm betting that ARA2 is part of 5.x. The code has been sitting there for a while now, been tested for a while now, so it's basically ready for release. I don't imagine he'll bump the version to 6 and let it sit in beta any longer, considering the usual long time for a major version number... so I think ARA2 will be the last "big" feature of the 5.x cycle. So I think he'll release ARA2 out to the general release before v6 hits beta. But then again, if Celemony keeps on delaying, maybe it will end up in v6 just because Celemony took so long. Who knows?

Personally, after observing how Justin decides to number things, I would not be surprised at all if ARA2 gets a very minor release number, almost as a joke... such as 5.95.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:57 PM   #54
ReaperMadness

So maybe Justin is the Elon Musk of DAW-land.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:29 PM   #55
Not_Here

Consider your options if you need a DAW but pass on this opportunity to purchase Reaper.

GO ahead and check into the prices of other DAWs that provide anywhere near the total package of Reaper and it's capabilities. You are in for bad bit of news when you see what you get at this price point in other DAWs.

I was literally hours away from going full blown Subscription based on a real "tool" of a DAW. On a whim I downloaded Reaper, to give it a look. within 14 or 15 days I was only too happy to pay the absolutely fair price. NO SUBSCRIPTION! TOTALLY AWESOME FORUMS! A COMMUNITY of great people whom share information freely and gladly.

The really amazing thing is I barely even had a grasp of it's full potential. Now I am begining to be Inspired by Reaper. Every day I learn something new, every other day I learn something amazing, and It's just enough to show me that Reaper IS TOTALLY worth the $$ spent every time I use it. The Support of/on/in the Forums, the Kenny Vids, the other "unofficial" Forums, the available MODs, scripts, the amazing set of included plug ins (learning that in the Mix Contest) the ability to make reaper BE what YOU want it to be is (I think) unique. - and well... They are worth a hundred times the original purchase price.

I have other friends whom use different DAWs, and lately it seems my replies to them have been "what?! you can't just do that on your DAW?...Bummer dudes!"

Do What ever you have to do and quit the worry game, just save up a bit here and there and by the end of your remaining "Trial" you'll have nearly the license cost. (or soon after).

Seriously.

Peace.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:35 PM   #56
Not_Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
So maybe Justin is the Elon Musk of DAW-land.
I knew it! Reaper will be the 1st DAW on Mars!

Last edited by Not_Here; 06-18-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Not_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:49 PM   #57
TheWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
There was no this discount in 4.xx cycle.
There was, I am pretty sure. Late in the 3.7... phase.
You could decide you wanted to buy 3.x and have updates until 4.99 for 40$.
Or has this been in 4.7...?

I could swear there was, but have no evidence...
TheWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:04 AM   #58
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhistler View Post
Or has this been in 4.7...?
Nope, obviously not.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:52 AM   #59
TheWhistler

Quote:
Nope, obviously not.
Hah....

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...33&postcount=1
Old 06-19-2018, 03:26 AM   #60
vitalker

Quote:
Yeah, nothing about version 5.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:32 AM   #61
siehorst

This discussion sometimes sounds as if we are at stock exchange ;-) .
horst
siehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:47 AM   #62
TheWhistler

Quote:
Yeah, nothing about version 5.
Man, you are stubborn. I never mentioned version 5.
I just wanted to point at the possibilty, cockos could go for some further discount as they did in the past. And they did !!!

I wanted to help the OP with his considerations.

I didn´t want to have an academic discussion if I, or you, or anybody else has metioned some version 5...

Last edited by TheWhistler; 06-19-2018 at 03:53 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:49 AM   #63
TheWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by siehorst View Post
This discussion sometimes sounds as if we are at stock exchange ;-) .
horst
It is not about stock exchange.
A lot of people who are on a tight budget have to consider if they spend 20 extra bucks.
Reaper is the only chance for a lot of people to have a legal DAW license.

Thank´s to Cockos for the more than fair pricing !!
Old 06-19-2018, 04:18 AM   #64
Tubeguy

I would ask, do you really need the latest version and why.
Personally I don't care how old version of anything I use as long as it does what I need. I still use Paintshop Pro from 90's and it's all I need.
Tubeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:43 AM   #65
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeguy View Post
Personally I don't care how old version of anything I use as long as it does what I need. I still use Paintshop Pro from 90's and it's all I need.

Harold LLoyd fans live on the cutting edge. They are down with the kids.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:08 AM   #66
vitalker

Quote:
I didn´t want to have an academic discussion...
I know, I know.
Quote:
Man, you are stubborn. I never mentioned version 5.
Neither do I. I meant they didn't do the same for those, who wanted to buy 4.7x versions.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:15 AM   #67
Greedy

Reaper 6.0 shares the same release date as the Winds of Winter. Justin has no pages

Quote:
This. I have no idea what's coming in 6.0 let alone 7.0, but for what I do (basement studio with live instruments and VSTis, some midi), I have zero need to upgrade for likely the next decade, if not forever. Some people are still using 4.xx on their XP machines and making perfectly good music with a perfectly functioning DAW. I'll need to buy a new license if I want to to go to 6.0, and I will because I want to support the devs, but I doubt I will have any pressing need to do so.

An upgrade does not mean that your current version stops working. If you are a power user living on the bleeding edge trying to optimize your workflow and maximize Reaper's capabilities (IOW, someone making a living with their DAW), upgrades and new versions are crack for you. But if you are just someone who wants to make music, many if not most of the upgrade features will be be lost on you - I suspect you will see little functional difference between 5.91 and 7.0 (and even if you would see a major functional difference, I'm guessing it'll be 5 years before 7.0 comes out so you have plenty of time to save your money).
Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #68
Harry Diddlebock

Quote:
I never know when I would need Which REAPER version to do the job that needs to be done. For example, I can still do a lot with REAPER version 0.999. But about 4 days ago, I tried to multi-load 422 midi items in to REAPER 0.999. It couldn't do it. So then I tried to do the same thing on the midi sequencer that I use the most and that is Anvil Studio and it wouldn't work there either. So I thought "I bet the new REAPER could do it" because at the KVR forum I sometimes read all sorts of things that can be done by REAPER. You know, someone can't do something and so they ask other people if it can be done and most times some REAPER guru there has the solution.

So yeah, a REAPER guru there at KVR told me that in order for the solution to work "I would need a newer version of REAPER and the SWS extensions too".
Anyways, that solution saved me probably hours and hours and hours of work, maybe days even, had I had to do it manually because besides those 422 midi items I had 20,000 more. So then I felt very very grateful and wanted to support REAPER by buying it even though I'm the opposite of rich. And I figure if I wait and buy REAPER 6.0 instead of buy 5.91 now... I would still be supporting the REAPER people.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:02 AM   #69
todd_r

If you want to wait till 6, maybe give Ardour a whirl in the meantime?
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:10 AM   #70
peter5992

Quote:

I'm not a professional musician yet so i don't have income that way. But let say it takes a year for version 5.91 to get to version 6.0. This means i lose 10 months of usage waiting since the trial gives me 2 months. But, and it's a big but, a full version's worth of updates can amount to years possibly. So, again, I may lose 8 months of usage in exchange for up to 36 months of extra updates if I wait for REAPER 6.0? Correct me if that is faulty logic.

I may have made a mistake in downloading REAPER so soon because in September there is the KVR Developer Challenge and I was going to use the newest REAPER to make YouTube videos of what a newbie will see if they try to use the plugins from the Developer Challenge. But something came up and I needed REAPER right away to process 20,000+ midi items. REAPER 5.91 did the job and that alone made me want to buy it. But in regards to the YouTube videos, I can always use REAPER version 0.999 and that version is TRULY free and it can still handle 32-bit plugins but the problem might be that less and less developers are creating 32-bit plugins. I guess I have gone off topic so I will stop now.

I wouldn't fret about all this too much ... if you like Reaper after testing for a few weeks, they buy a license.

Who knows when Reaper 6 comes out ... let alone Reaper 7, could be a decade from now for all I know.

I can't even remember when I last paid for the license or upgrade, have a commercial license and have been using it for over a decade.

$80 may not be trivial for you, but think of it as an investment ... you'll spend a lot of time learning all the ins and outs of the program, and that time has a money value too.

And among all the DAW programs out there, Reaper is at the bottom in terms of pricing ... but not in terms of features of capabilities.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #71
vitalker

Let's give him a choice to do what he wants!
Old 06-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #72
fetidus

Just as another quick thought -- when Reaper 6.0 is launched, it's possible that Justin will increase the price. It's been a while since he increased the price. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's been about 9 years since it has been $60 (at Reaper 3?).
Old 06-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #73
vitalker

Quote:
Just as another quick thought -- when Reaper 6.0 is launched, it's possible that Justin will increase the price. It's been a while since he increased the price. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's been about 9 years since it has been $60 (at Reaper 3?).
https://web.archive.org/web/*/http:/...m/purchase.php
2006 - 40 and 200
2007 - 50 and 225
2010 - 60 and 225
2010 - 40 and 150 (discount)
2011 - 60 and 225
2015 - 60 and 225
2018 - 60 and 225
As you can see, nothing changed.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:17 AM   #74
fetidus

Quote:
As you can see, nothing changed.
On the contrary, it looks like things have changed... I was off by one year. In 2010 the price went up from 50 to 60 -- so it's been about 8 years since a price increase. My point was that since it's been such a long time since he increased the price, then maybe he'll increase it for v6.

I mean, just with inflation alone, it should be closer to $67 today according to inflation calculator, so Justin is getting diminishing fees, and also extending his major upgrade cycle... so he's getting less and less per year, per user. So just based on that alone, I'd think it's possible that the price is going up for v6.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #75
orbiterred

No! If you're using it, and you like it, buy it now and be happy. Easily, far and away the some of the best/smartest money I've spent in my music career.
orbiterred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #76
Harry Diddlebock

Error in self-quote:

"This means i lose 10 months of usage waiting since the trial gives me 2 months. But, and it's a big but, a full version's worth of updates can amount to years possibly. So, again, I may lose 8 months of usage in exchange for up to 36 months of extra updates if I wait for REAPER 6.0?"

I don't know where I got 8 months the second time around. Maybe bad math, lack of sleep, mild dyslexia.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #77
Harry Diddlebock

Quote:
On the contrary, it looks like things have changed... I was off by one year. In 2010 the price went up from 50 to 60 -- so it's been about 8 years since a price increase. My point was that since it's been such a long time since he increased the price, then maybe he'll increase it for v6.

I mean, just with inflation alone, it should be closer to $67 today according to inflation calculator, so Justin is getting diminishing fees, and also extending his major upgrade cycle... so he's getting less and less per year, per user. So just based on that alone, I'd think it's possible that the price is going up for v6.
But maybe the constant low price is one of REAPER's greatest strength. That, in combination with its capabilities. If the price is increased then REAPER might be seen as becoming the other DAWS and becoming "out of range"?

And I'm not just saying that because I'm a cheapskate and poor.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:49 PM   #78
Musicianaire

Quote:
But maybe the constant low price is one of REAPER's greatest strength. That, in combination with its capabilities. If the price is increased then REAPER might be seen as becoming the other DAWS and becoming "out of range"?

And I'm not just saying that because I'm a cheapskate and poor.
You're not a cheapskate. I'm in the same boat as you. I live in Canada, and $60 is not $60 here. I, too, am dirt poor. It was good timing when I found out about REAPER, and just happen to have the $$ for it. Not before then, and not since then have I had the money for it. So don't be down on yourself. People not in our position have no idea what being in our position is all about.
I remember telling a friend I couldn't go out one night because I had no money. He said neither did he, as he checked his wallet that had a $10 bill inside. My wallet had dust. People just don't get it.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:26 PM   #79
Harry Diddlebock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicianaire View Post
People just don't get it.
According to an article I just read off of Google... Coolio, Jimi Hendrix, Ringo Starr, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, to name just a few, might get it.
Maybe Eminem and Britney Spears gets it too if they haven't forgotten it.

But anyways I looked up the definition of cheapskate. According to one site a cheapskate is: a person who is unwilling to spend money.
And that site's example is: My dad's such a cheapskate that he cuts his hair himself.

So I guess I'm half a cheapskate because I shave my own head once about every 45 days to save money.
But I guess I'm not a cheapskate because I'm "willing" to spend $80 to buy REAPER 6, as opposed to "unwilling".

I think I'll go offline for a bit and check out REAPER's capabilities some more. The trial period is ticking. 4 days out of 60 used, it says.

This shoes smuggler says bye for now. Hahaha.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:56 PM   #80
vitalker

Quote:
I think I'll go offline for a bit and check out REAPER's capabilities some more. The trial period is ticking. 4 days out of 60 used, it says.
I'm not sure, but it probably counts time you spent in DAW, not the real one. By the way, check your private messages.