Old 05-29-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
Arran
Human being with feelings

Default Blondie and The Police Covers

I've had a bit of forced studio time recently due to a bit of illness, so I thought I'd be productive and do something I'd actually finish (unlike my own material).
The first is a cover of Feeder's cover of The Police's Can't Stand Losing You. I got as far as recording the vocals and then remembered I couldn't sing... Fortunately a YouTube search turned up an a cappella version of the original which I time stretched and edited to fit.

https://soundcloud.com/arrand/cant-stand-losing-you

The second is Blondie's Atomic, again with an a cappella version of the original vocal.

https://soundcloud.com/arrand/atomic

Drums - Addictive Drums 2
Bass - IKMM Modo Bass played with You Rock Guitar YRG1000
Guitars - A selection of real guitars played through IKMM Amplitube 3
Arran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:26 PM   #2
RDBOIS
Banned

The music is good, but the mix is VERY LOUD !!!

I knew this was the case right away because I had to jump on the volume knob and lower it significantly to protect my ears. I downloaded your song and uploaded in REAPER and analyzed it with YouLean.

Your song clocks at approx -7 LUFS with a Range of 2.5 and several Max Peaks of 1.6 dB. The wavform is like a sausage -- one big continuous song peaking at 1.6 db.

Does this Police cover song really needs to be competing in the loudness war? If yes, then it is up there in the VERY LOUD department.

RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:06 AM   #3
Arran

Thanks for checking it out. The track is actually a cover of Feeder's version which is a hard rock track and inherently louder. When I "mastered" it I used the Feeder version and a Weezer track as references. I didn't smash it, from memory there was no more than 3db of clip limiting and 3db of limiting, peak level was -0.3db.
I've just downloaded it from SoundCloud and the dynamic range is 7 and peak is 0db, I'm at work so I don't have access to the same metering as at home. It's odd that you're getting overs of 1.6db and a much reduced dynamic range.
Now I've had a bit of time and have listened to it on more systems I think I mastered it too bright.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:00 AM   #4
Arran

Just for comparison the Feeder version has a DR of 4, which doesn't make it right but it's typical of the genre. I think the brightness is possibly a bigger factor in its perceived loudness.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:21 AM   #5
RDBOIS
Banned

https://youlean.co/youlean-loudness-meter/
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:59 AM   #6
Dimaension X

Always wondered what Debbie Harry would sound like in more of a "hard rock" band. Very cool.
Dimaension X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:52 PM   #7
asharin

Very nice As mentioned above, quite loud mix, but I can always turn my volume down
asharin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:24 PM   #8
Jorgen

Listened to the Blondie song -- well done, and very cool to have Debbie onboard. Minor (sic) comment: In the original, the tonic chord changes from minor to major when Debbie starts singing. Gives a lift to the whole thing, imho.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:22 AM   #9
Arran

A bit of research shows that you're correct. When I get a bit of time I'll redo the guitars for the verse, it'll be interesting (for me) to see what difference it makes.