Old 05-25-2020, 06:20 AM   #1
TeleTwanger
Human being with feelings

Default Lock Master Track at top

Lock Master Track at top while scrolling up/down in tracks.
TeleTwanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:50 AM   #2
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleTwanger View Post
Been asking for that for about 10 years. Forget about it. Not going to happen.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:04 AM   #3
TeleTwanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
And I thought REAPER was all about listening to the community... guess I give too much credit to the online talking heads.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:43 AM   #4
Coachz

Quote:
And I thought REAPER was all about listening to the community... guess I give too much credit to the online talking heads.
Some things may not be technically possible due to the design is what I'm guessing. The devs really don't get into discussions with us which I find very disappointing and have voiced my opinion on this for many years however it is what it is. Unless they speak up are we going to know why they don't implement this seemingly straightforward idea?
Old 05-25-2020, 10:34 AM   #5
TeleTwanger

Quote:
Some things may not be technically possible due to the design is what I'm guessing. The devs really don't get into discussions with us which I find very disappointing and have voiced my opinion on this for many years however it is what it is. Unless they speak up are we going to know why they don't implement this seemingly straightforward idea?
I've got 35 years programming and designing. Be hard to convince me its not possible.

I have long thought about DAWs and software in general, and I am not alone, that Hey, quit adding bells and whistles, and spend a year or two listening to your users and simply tweak, debug, and make EVERYTHING faster.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:37 AM   #6
akademie

Huh :/
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:24 PM   #7
Coachz

Quote:
I've got 35 years programming and designing. Be hard to convince me its not possible.

I have long thought about DAWs and software in general, and I am not alone, that Hey, quit adding bells and whistles, and spend a year or two listening to your users and simply tweak, debug, and make EVERYTHING faster.
Happiness in this forum for me is, use Reaper as it is and expect nothing. Pushing back produces no fruit.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:36 AM   #8
Klangfarben

Quote:
Happiness in this forum for me is, use Reaper as it is and expect nothing. Pushing back produces no fruit.
Pushing back produces fruit once in a while. I mean, we finally got area selection lol. I do very much agree with TeleTwanger. It really would behoove the developers to just go through this forum, pick the longest active running feature requests and just get them done. There are feature requests over 10 years old that are still being actively discussed. When that many users ask for something over that length of time I feel you have an obligation as a dev to make it happen.

But yeah, this feature request has been made so many times. Track sticking is really needed so you can lock a track or set of tracks at the top or bottom of the project, like video, dialogue, efx tracks etc.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:50 AM   #9
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Yeah. This and Area Selection.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:35 PM   #10
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Yeah. This and Area Selection.
Not sure what you mean? Devs do create tons of features but they don't engage in conversations with us regarding them and I'm not talking about the few elite that get attention.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:38 PM   #11
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Not sure what you mean?
You said that they ignored something for 10 years. Therefore it will never happen.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:47 PM   #12
Coachz

Quote:
You said that they ignored something for 10 years. Therefore it will never happen.
You might be ocd. Take this quiz over and over for a week and report back.

https://psychcentral.com/quizzes/ocd-quiz/
Old 05-26-2020, 12:51 PM   #13
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
You might be ocd. Take this quiz over and over for a week and report back.

https://psychcentral.com/quizzes/ocd-quiz/
I said something in humor. Was that supposed to be humorous?
Old 05-26-2020, 01:08 PM   #14
Coachz

Quote:
I said something in humor. Was that supposed to be humorous?
I didn't laugh. Can I have my money back? :-)
Old 05-26-2020, 04:35 PM   #15
audio2u

+1 on the "lock the master track at the top" request.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:05 PM   #16
jrengmusic

Not just MASTER track. I think when this feature came to REAPER, locking track position at the top should be possible for any track user desired.

That's the REAPER way.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:08 PM   #17
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrengmusic View Post
Not just MASTER track. I think when this feature came to REAPER, locking track position at the top should be possible for any track user desired.

That's the REAPER way.
Makes sense to me. I'll check back in 10 more years.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:11 PM   #18
jrengmusic

Quote:
I'll check back in 10 more years.
If you were still alive
Old 05-26-2020, 06:11 PM   #19
Klangfarben

Maybe if we get Sexan to write a script that does it, the devs will be goaded into it
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:32 AM   #20
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrengmusic View Post
If you were still alive
Aren't you a debbie downer..
Old 08-08-2020, 07:27 PM   #21
n997

+1 to ability to set the master track to be always visible as the top track in Arrange view.

Benefits:
- being able to see master signal level at all times
- always visible GUI access to master FX and mono check buttons
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:23 AM   #22
Meo-Ada Mespotine

I think it's technically challenging and would need an real huge overhaul on many levels.
To get a glimpse on the complexity of the Reaper-Main-window, start toying around with ReaScript-API and the hwnds and other elements of Reaper's main-window and try to mess around with the elements in there. You quickly see, that you have to take a lot of stuff into consideration as otherwise everything breaks, designwise.

Now to go down quickly on how I would approach this and why this is difficult without a lot of rework:

I would treat the master-track like the mastertrack in the MCP, so it actually has its own window/hwnd, which would also allow stuff like "dock the master-track of the trackview" or "floating-mastertrack"-windows.

Now here's the thing: a lot of things within Reaper's UI-Code depend on each other. Positions of tracks may be related to each other with the assumption of the master-track being the first of all tracks AND not locked in position.

So these dependencies would need to be lifted, including all cornercases and edge-stuff.
There's a lot in ReaScript/API that could become useless, as it expects a certain behavior of the master track. (TrackFromPoint() could be such a candidate, which becomes more difficult). We don't know.
The drawing of certain elements could be dependent on a certain behavior of the master track. We don't know.
The whole Reaper-Main-Window could be dependent on the current behavior of the master-track. We don't know.
Maybe the whole toolbar-positioning could become a managementproblem, when treating the master-track in its own hwnd.
We don't know.

Not saying it's impossible to do, quite the opposite. I think too, it's possible.
But it could be difficult because of decisions made 10+ years ago in the internal concept of Reaper and lifting that stuff could break tons of things as far as I can see from the outside.

So some things you need to take into consideration is this:

1) Even a simple feature may be extremely difficult to implement, because of dependencies.
2) If it's difficult, you may want to evaluate carefully, how much work you want to invest into that one feature and how much it improves for all users.
If the amount of work need to be spent on a lock-mastertrack-feature is much much higher that the actual benefit, you don't do it.
3) Even if you want to do it anyway, you probably save this feature-idea for a complete UI-overhaul by waiting for other real useful features, that could be implemented too in that development-cycle.
So if there are tons of features that would really benefit a lot of people, investing the time into reworking Reaper's internals would be a good idea. So the work is worth the features implemented.
You overhaul it once and include tons of features. But you do not overhaul everything for one feature only.

Again, I don't think it's impossible. Maybe it's even easier that I think and the devs simply hadn't time to do it because of thousand other users with their own wishes not fullfilled for years and tons of ideas they have in their minds.
I can understand the frustration on user's side, but the devs can only write so and so many codelines per day. And you have to set priorities to it, by saying "no" or "no, not for now" to features.

And to answer the "the devs could at least say that in these threads"-argument right away: I prefer them spending time on Reaper not explaining why certain things work and why others don't.
AND: saying "no, not for now" is a promise for later inclusion that people will take as announcement.
That's the reason, why the feature tracker has been discontinued.

All of this is only guesses on my side(from my developer-experience) and the actual situation on the devs-side might be completely different, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Having said that:

+1 for the request of the OP.
I think it would clean up the view and sometimes you want to have the full control over envelopes of the master-track all the times and this would be possible that way.

On vacation for the time being...

Last edited by Meo-Ada Mespotine; 08-09-2020 at 07:29 AM.
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:48 AM   #23
Coachz

While it is likely very complicated it should not be rocket science to create variables that are referenced to account for each track, height and position while allowing ANY track to be locked at the top.

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
Albert Einstein
Old 08-09-2020, 08:11 PM   #24
Pando

++1

I think having a "Sticky" option in track's properties would be very useful for any track. When enabled, the track appears on top of/above the scrolling list of tracks (probably just as a duplicate to deal with tracks that might be inside folders).

This would be great for:
Master track
Click track
Any reference track you need quick access to without scrolling

It's very, very useful when dealing with hundreds of tracks in a project. It's also great to edit tracks next to each other while in reality there may be many tracks in between them.
Pando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:59 PM   #25
n997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
So some things you need to take into consideration is this:

1) Even a simple feature may be extremely difficult to implement, because of dependencies.
2) If it's difficult, you may want to evaluate carefully, how much work you want to invest into that one feature and how much it improves for all users.
If the amount of work need to be spent on a lock-mastertrack-feature is much much higher that the actual benefit, you don't do it.
3) Even if you want to do it anyway, you probably save this feature-idea for a complete UI-overhaul by waiting for other real useful features, that could be implemented too in that development-cycle.
So if there are tons of features that would really benefit a lot of people, investing the time into reworking Reaper's internals would be a good idea. So the work is worth the features implemented.
You overhaul it once and include tons of features. But you do not overhaul everything for one feature only.

Maybe [...] the devs simply hadn't time to do it because of thousand other users with their own wishes not fullfilled for years and tons of ideas they have in their minds.
I can understand the frustration on user's side, but the devs can only write so and so many codelines per day. And you have to set priorities to it, by saying "no" or "no, not for now" to features.

And to answer the "the devs could at least say that in these threads"-argument right away: I prefer them spending time on Reaper not explaining why certain things work and why others don't.
AND: saying "no, not for now" is a promise for later inclusion that people will take as announcement.
Sorry for little offtopic, but that post was so good I had to Quote-For-Truth it.

I think those points should be refined into a general "Feature requests: what to expect" article, perhaps in a form of questions-answers, and make it sticky in this subforum.
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:22 AM   #26
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pando View Post
++1

I think having a "Sticky" option in track's properties would be very useful for any track. When enabled, the track appears on top of/above the scrolling list of tracks (probably just as a duplicate to deal with tracks that might be inside folders).

This would be great for:
Master track
Click track
Any reference track you need quick access to without scrolling

It's very, very useful when dealing with hundreds of tracks in a project. It's also great to edit tracks next to each other while in reality there may be many tracks in between them.
Yes, I have a track structure that show Intro, Verse, Chorus arrangement using empty media items that would be great frozen to the top.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:53 PM   #27
Amazed

Quote:
Yes please, still waiting ..
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:15 PM   #28
Pando

Quote:
Yes, I have a track structure that show Intro, Verse, Chorus arrangement using empty media items that would be great frozen to the top.
If it's just for visual reasons, perhaps regions will work for that?
Pando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:34 PM   #29
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pando View Post
If it's just for visual reasons, perhaps regions will work for that?
Way too small to see across the room by musicians.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:56 AM   #30
chip mcdonald

Piling on...

Now that I can embed a spectrum analyzer on the master it would be muy convenient to have it always there.

Not to mention I shouldn't have to scroll up in order to get at the master fader. Ergonomically bad.

+1 "Lock Master Track at the top"
Old 11-10-2020, 07:30 AM   #31
mozart999uk

+1 from me too
mozart999uk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:27 AM   #32
~TarTaR~

Quote:
^^^^^^
Please, please - the only christmas present I need this year is for my master track to be snug and secure at the top of the screen, keeping watch over all the little tracklings below to make sure they don't step out of line - sorta like santa does, or god.

Chain the Master to the skies! I beseeeeeeeech you!
~TarTaR~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 10:06 AM   #33
Coachz

Coachz Repo
Old 12-08-2020, 10:49 AM   #34
heda

not the master but any tracks(s) would be even better

or to be able to have multiple arrange windows opened for a project and be able to resize them, not always maximized in a tab as it is bow. then you can play with visibility on each arrange window and position them as you need. there could be an option to sync them in time like the midi editor has
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 10:51 AM   #35
Coachz

Coachz Repo
Old 12-08-2020, 11:42 AM   #36
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Way too small to see across the room by musicians.
I ended up using Windows Magnifier. Have it show the timeline. It sort of almost worked with a 42" monitor from like 10' away.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:01 PM   #37
pepe44

I use the floating mixer master docked on the right side of the screen. always there.
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:05 PM   #38
Shrubs

+1 for this feature. I know it's a very old request and the devs probably have a reason for not addressing it, but thought I'd chime in anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe44 View Post
I use the floating mixer master docked on the right side of the screen. always there.
That doesn't help since it doesn't include the master track envelopes, which is the real point of having a master track in the main window. Projects with a lot of tempo automation, for instance, become tedious to work with when you have to always scroll back up to the master track.
Shrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 05:14 AM   #39
dahya

+1 for this feature, to have the ability to lock any track to the top (eg in Track Manager have a 'lock' status/column too). For example we could then lock a track which has items showing Chord Names, and it would always show (I know this is possible using Regions, but it's not great with all the vertical lines).
dahya is offline   Reply With Quote