Old 12-28-2016, 04:23 PM   #1
BRBWaffles
Human being with feelings

Default More Modular Docking

It would be nifty to be able to dock things side by side in the main window, or to dock different windows together. Say if I wanted my Mixer to always have the FX Browser docked to it on the right, for example. It would be really cool to be able to snap any two, or multiple, windows together and size them however you want.

Or maybe this is already doable and I'm just really dumb.
BRBWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:45 PM   #2
MikComposer

+1 yep
Old 12-29-2016, 02:08 AM   #3
vitalker

You can do it already:

So guys, read the user guide firstly!

vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:46 AM   #4
BRBWaffles

I knew that this could be done as long as what you're docking is attached to the main window. But, if I wanted to permanently dock the FX Browser to the Mixer window, there doesn't seem to be a way to do that. The issue is that I went from two displays down to one, and I'm really struggling to get a workflow wherein I'm able to access both the Mixer and the FX Browser with a single hotkey, or move them together. Before, it was easy. The mixer would always be there, and I would just hide the FX Browser whenever I didn't need it.
BRBWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #5
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBWaffles View Post
I ...
Maybe this thread is similar to that: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=184562 ?
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:48 PM   #6
woggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
You can do it already:

So guys, read the user guide firstly!

man that is an ugly bit of software right there - I know Reaper is deliberately outside the idea of UX and aesthetics but for someone like me who works across a number of design fields the Reaper interface is off putting.

Clients actually point out how ugly it is but that has a positive impact strangely enough. As I work mainly with artists they think the Reaper interface is a sign of me being a hardline IT geek (as no-one in design fields would dream of using something so clunky)
woggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:12 PM   #7
MikComposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woggle View Post
man that is an ugly bit of software right there - I know Reaper is deliberately outside the idea of UX and aesthetics but for someone like me who works across a number of design fields the Reaper interface is off putting.

Clients actually point out how ugly it is but that has a positive impact strangely enough. As I work mainly with artists they think the Reaper interface is a sign of me being a hardline IT geek (as no-one in design fields would dream of using something so clunky)
I actually had people pint that out to me too, how ugly it is. But fer me more important side of ux is how it interacts then looks, which is known on the forums.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:21 PM   #8
woggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
But fer me more important side of ux is how it interacts then looks, which is known on the forums.
both for me - I think I understand where Reaper (and the user base) are coming from as far as UX etc is concerned. In many ways Reaper is less useful to me as more and more functionality gets bolted on and various parameters have to be tediously addressed anew through the action system for every project

Hence I have bought another DAW this week (FL Studio) to cover where Reaper is not so suited for my purposes. I think I will stay using Reaper as well, but the other DAW is proving surprisingly powerful working outside of its EDM basis. I'm comfortable using multiple softwares (I used Audition and RX5 with Reaper already, plus Matlab to script generative midi processes) so we will see
woggle is offline   Reply With Quote