Old 12-25-2016, 03:19 PM   #1
MikComposer
Human being with feelings
 
MikComposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,988
Default Disable folding tracks

You know that little cross in the bottom right of the track? Please add option to disable it, as i often end up creating folders accidental, sometimes even without noticing that!

Thx
__________________
My Royalty Free Music library
MikComposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #2
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings
 
Lokasenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 6,551
Default

1. This can already be done if you edit the track layout you're using in that theme. Easy if you know how, annoying if you don't.

2. There's only one tiny spot on the track you can click to make that happen. In your analogy of driving a car, this is more like accidentally pulling the handbrake at 100mph; it's your own lazy fault you keep clicking it.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:25 PM   #3
MikComposer
Human being with feelings
 
MikComposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
1. This can already be done if you edit the track layout you're using in that theme. Easy if you know how, annoying if you don't.

2. There's only one tiny spot on the track you can click to make that happen. In your analogy of driving a car, this is more like accidentally pulling the handbrake at 100mph; it's your own lazy fault you keep clicking it.
I don't know how to edit themes and frankly, after customizing reaper last month, I'm behind schedule with delivering. Secondly, I have very narrow tracks, and it was a problem when arming track was resizing it, and if i would have selected track near it bottom edge, having auto arming on, it would resize before lmb release and automatically create folder. I would not ever want to be neurotically precise just to compensate for badly handles interface. Stuff like this, out of all software I've used or I am using, it only happens in reaper!
__________________
My Royalty Free Music library
MikComposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #4
AugerJ
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
I don't know how to edit themes ...
It's not about editing the theme, it's about choosing/changing a track layout. To rearrange components.
Right click on the track header - Set track layout - Track Panel. There must be several versions to choose from.

Quote:
... and frankly, after customizing reaper last month, I'm behind schedule with delivering. Secondly, I have very narrow tracks, and it was a problem when arming track was resizing it, and if i would have selected track near it bottom edge, having auto arming on, it would resize before lmb release and automatically create folder. I would not ever want to be neurotically precise just to compensate for badly handles interface. Stuff like this, out of all software I've used or I am using, it only happens in reaper!
You do know that you can click on the instrument name window (on the track panel) or even on an item on the track or on the empty area of the track — to select the track?
AugerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:14 PM   #5
MikComposer
Human being with feelings
 
MikComposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerJ View Post
You do know that you can click on the instrument name window (on the track panel) or even on an item on the track or on the empty area of the track — to select the track?
Yeah, why it is only working when I click on empty area and not when I click on item instead? Makes little to no sense.

I select tracks the way I do. You shouldn't be telling me I'm doing something wrong in a software that promotes itself on building your own workflow, because that means there actually is a workflow you got to follow, and in this case, it is not very good.
__________________
My Royalty Free Music library
MikComposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:20 PM   #6
AugerJ
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
... having auto arming on, it would resize ...
Options - Preferences - Audio - Recording - untick 'Always show full track control panel on armed tracks' checkbox.

Last edited by AugerJ; 12-25-2016 at 08:29 PM.
AugerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:21 PM   #7
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings
 
Lokasenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 6,551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
Yeah, why it is only working when I click on empty area and not when I click on item instead? Makes little to no sense.

I select tracks the way I do. You shouldn't be telling me I'm doing something wrong in a software that promotes itself on building your own workflow, because that means there actually is a workflow you got to follow, and in this case, it is not very good.
Options | Preferences | Editing Behavior | Mouse | "Mouse click/edit in track view changes track selection"

He's telling you you're doing something wrong because you're complaining that "Reaper doesn't do _____" when it actually does and you just haven't found the option.

Reaper has a ridiculous number of options and settings you can fiddle with, and I agree that it can be pretty hard to find all of them.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:29 PM   #8
AugerJ
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
Yeah, why it is only working when I click on empty area and not when I click on item instead? ...
I have
(Options - Preferences - Editing Behavior - Mouse - )
'Mouse click on volume/pan faders and track buttons changes track selection'
and
'Mouse click/edit in track view changes track selection'
boxes checked.

Click on an item selects the track it's on.

Last edited by AugerJ; 12-25-2016 at 08:36 PM.
AugerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:30 PM   #9
MikComposer
Human being with feelings
 
MikComposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Options | Preferences | Editing Behavior | Mouse | "Mouse click/edit in track view changes track selection"

He's telling you you're doing something wrong because you're complaining that "Reaper doesn't do _____" when it actually does and you just haven't found the option.

Reaper has a ridiculous number of options and settings you can fiddle with, and I agree that it can be pretty hard to find all of them.
Yeah, already did that as explained in some posts above, also explained the issue. And it would be good to be able to disable that option to crate folders with one click.

@AugerJ
As for track layout, there is only couple and none would change a thing.

And thanks for the preferences tip. We already solved that in other thread.

EDIT@AugerJ I had that on already. What's baffling is that 'Mouse click/edit in track view changes track selection' doesn't split in to empty area and item, and I'd like to be abale to switch track when clicking on item, but not when clicking on empty area.
__________________
My Royalty Free Music library

Last edited by MikComposer; 12-25-2016 at 08:36 PM.
MikComposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:32 PM   #10
AugerJ
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
... Reaper has a ridiculous number of options and settings you can fiddle with, and I agree that it can be pretty hard to find all of them.
Agree, it's sometimes not where you would put it )
AugerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:36 PM   #11
AugerJ
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
And it would be good to be able to disable that option to crate folders with one click.
Yes, it would. Cubase and Logic let you choose the track header (= panel) components.

Last edited by AugerJ; 12-25-2016 at 08:46 PM.
AugerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:44 PM   #12
AugerJ
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
... I select tracks the way I do. You shouldn't be telling me I'm doing something wrong in a software that promotes itself on building your own workflow, because that means there actually is a workflow you got to follow, and in this case, it is not very good.
I meant (and yet somehow didn't manage to type it) — you could use workarounds for now, in your current situation with the schedule...
The more customizable REAPER gets the better (I guess).

Last edited by AugerJ; 12-25-2016 at 08:49 PM.
AugerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #13
MikComposer
Human being with feelings
 
MikComposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerJ View Post
I meant (and yet somehow didn't manage to type it) — you could use workarounds for now, in your current situation with schedule...
The more customizable REAPER gets the better (I guess).
Using work around for 4 years already. have you seen my layout?
__________________
My Royalty Free Music library
MikComposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:57 PM   #14
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings
 
Lokasenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 6,551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
What's baffling is that 'Mouse click/edit in track view changes track selection' doesn't split in to empty area and item, and I'd like to be abale to switch track when clicking on item, but not when clicking on empty area.
Okay, I've got it:

1. Turn off the setting in Preferences that lets you change the track selection when you click in the arrange area.

2. Go into Options | Preferences | Mouse Modifiers | Media item | Left click.

3. Double-click "Default action", then choose Action List at the bottom.

4. Make a new custom action like so:
Code:
Item: Select item under mouse cursor
View: Move edit cursor to mouse cursor
SWS: Select only track(s) with selected item(s)
5. Select it, then hit Apply in the Preferences window.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:07 PM   #15
AugerJ
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Okay, I've got it:

1. Turn off the setting in Preferences that lets you change the track selection when you click in the arrange area.

2. Go into Options | Preferences | Mouse Modifiers | Media item | Left click.

3. Double-click "Default action", then choose Action List at the bottom.

4. Make a new custom action like so:
Code:
Item: Select item under mouse cursor
View: Move edit cursor to mouse cursor
SWS: Select only track(s) with selected item(s)
5. Select it, then hit Apply in the Preferences window.
Cool )
Cubase and Logic are nowhere near REAPER when it comes to flexibility.
AugerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:19 PM   #16
MikComposer
Human being with feelings
 
MikComposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,988
Default

Thanks, will try tmrw.
__________________
My Royalty Free Music library
MikComposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 05:20 AM   #17
Coachz
Human being with feelings
 
Coachz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 7,841
Default

You're referring to the TCP where if you click the plus on the bottom right of the track controls it cycles whether the next track gets placed in a folder or not right ?

Can you just click on the number of the track to select it ? I assume the problem is you mean to select the track and are clicking the folder cycle plus sign yes ?
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:17 AM   #18
MikComposer
Human being with feelings
 
MikComposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
You're referring to the TCP where if you click the plus on the bottom right of the track controls it cycles whether the next track gets placed in a folder or not right ?

Can you just click on the number of the track to select it ? I assume the problem is you mean to select the track and are clicking the folder cycle plus sign yes ?
Its not easy to precisely click on the number. Why I would even want to be so precise. Software should do this for me. I am on 15" full hd screen with high dpi mouse. But even so, I have only problem of clicking not the things I want to click in reaper. With everything else: chrome, photoshop, construct, plugins, games, ms office etc there is no problem.
__________________
My Royalty Free Music library
MikComposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:07 AM   #19
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings
 
Lokasenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 6,551
Default

The software does do it for you; if you don't like where something is, you can edit the theme.

You know, like this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ReaperThemeZip

Enjoy.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:15 AM   #20
MikComposer
Human being with feelings
 
MikComposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
The software does do it for you; if you don't like where something is, you can edit the theme.

You know, like this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ReaperThemeZip

Enjoy.
Loke, I sincerely appreciate your help, but I do not want to learn another programming language and fiddle anymore with this. I am not interested. I want to do music, and follow up with my other plans. I have custom and additionally customized theme that took me a month to do, and at this point, there is always something not working properly anyway; I looked int o walter code and it made little sense to me - is too different from javascript and php for me to be able to grasp it withught properly learning it; bottom line being, it is not my responsibility to make things work in such way that it takes under consideration different possible scenarios. It is devs responsibility. They are not my friends. I am their client and they got to serve me just like I got to serve my clients, and that's why I am vocal about those issues.
__________________
My Royalty Free Music library
MikComposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:34 AM   #21
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings
 
Lokasenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 6,551
Default

The link I pasted is a version of the theme that I modded to fix your issue.

Instead of complaining "why doesn't Reaper do ____" and getting upset, try posting "Does anyone know how to _____" instead. As you know, Reaper has a ton of options, and once you get into theming and scripting it's just ridiculous how much customization you can do. Lots of people will be happy to whip up a script or a theme mod to do what you need.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:42 AM   #22
MikComposer
Human being with feelings
 
MikComposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
The link I pasted is a version of the theme that I modded to fix your issue.

Instead of complaining "why doesn't Reaper do ____" and getting upset, try posting "Does anyone know how to _____" instead. As you know, Reaper has a ton of options, and once you get into theming and scripting it's just ridiculous how much customization you can do. Lots of people will be happy to whip up a script or a theme mod to do what you need.
I appreciate that, but I can't use your theme, because I am already using another theme! I am also using quite a few scripts, but a lot of the times they are not very responsive and pleasant to use, like cc tool script, which works ok, but it requires you to triple the amount of needed navigation, feels disjointed and is doesn't work smoothly. For example, when you are selecting cc's where one is 127 and another near 1 you select them but accidentally go beyond current cc and release mouse over another cc lane, some scripts will not work. No one will tel me that's working fine. And it is extremely straining on the arm.

I could do more request, but they are not possible to do in reaper. You wont get smart cc tool, with interface being display on the cc itself. Can't get cc toolbars being dynamically displayed where empty area of cc lane in to the left: where lane selection is. Can't move midi ed transport to the top. Can't disable grabbing edges of midi items in the piano roll in editor, can't set priorities for grabbing edges of midi item in main view to set above time selection, markers or region. I really don't want to complain, but it's true. Reapers only give yous illusion of possibilities. Just recently I've opened up cubase le 7 again, after long break, and all the scripts you all guys are doing, all the random midi and automation lane features, cc editing tools, are there in le version and better, and it was being given away for free with music mag.
__________________
My Royalty Free Music library

Last edited by MikComposer; 12-26-2016 at 08:51 AM.
MikComposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:47 AM   #23
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings
 
Lokasenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 6,551
Default

What theme are you using?
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:53 AM   #24
MikComposer
Human being with feelings
 
MikComposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
What theme are you using?
I'm using customized Paulie4_Indent or Paulie5_Indent... not able to tell you which exactly, because I have both, and reaper doesn't show any indicator which theme is on, and I don't remember anymore which out of several i've selected.
__________________
My Royalty Free Music library
MikComposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:00 AM   #25
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings
 
Lokasenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 6,551
Default

Options | Themes will show you what theme is currently selected.

Are they the ones from these .zip files?
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1905/Paulie4_mods.zip
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1906/Paulie5_mods.zip

Or a customized-for-you version? If that's the case, put your theme up on a Dropbox or something and PM me a link. The mod is easy enough to do.

(Would you prefer that the folder icon go away entirely, or just only show up when the track is larger?)
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:12 AM   #26
MikComposer
Human being with feelings
 
MikComposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Options | Themes will show you what theme is currently selected.

Are they the ones from these .zip files?
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1905/Paulie4_mods.zip
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1906/Paulie5_mods.zip

Or a customized-for-you version? If that's the case, put your theme up on a Dropbox or something and PM me a link. The mod is easy enough to do.

(Would you prefer that the folder icon go away entirely, or just only show up when the track is larger?)
I remember installing some of the mods.

As you can see it doesn't show which theme it is!



You can also see height of my tracks I use when recording. I am really fine with them after turning off automatic resizing, which allowed me to turn on auto arming, and keep everything organised.

In terms of tracks, what would really be helpful, is having templates for Audio, Midi and Folder ( fixed height Folder ) tracks. Midi track would have midi editor button.
__________________
My Royalty Free Music library
MikComposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:17 AM   #27
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings
 
Lokasenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 6,551
Default

Try going to \AppData\Roaming\REAPER, opening REAPER.ini in a text editor, and doing a Ctrl+F for "lastthemefn5". That should tell you which one you're using.

I'm happy to remove the clickable folder icon for you, but unfortunately I don't have the time (or theme knowledge) to do anything more. My own experience is limited to modifying the default theme.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:28 AM   #28
MikComposer
Human being with feelings
 
MikComposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Try going to \AppData\Roaming\REAPER, opening REAPER.ini in a text editor, and doing a Ctrl+F for "lastthemefn5". That should tell you which one you're using.

I'm happy to remove the clickable folder icon for you, but unfortunately I don't have the time (or theme knowledge) to do anything more. My own experience is limited to modifying the default theme.
Don't worry man. I appreciate you tried helping me out.
__________________
My Royalty Free Music library
MikComposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:04 AM   #29
Coachz
Human being with feelings
 
Coachz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 7,841
Default

Most of the users here are used to tweaking in Reaper and working with workarounds to try to achieve the workflow that suits us best. Even though it is very flexible, there are some preferences that are not as easy to implement. I'm not sure of a simple workaround for this specific issue.

It doesn't actually make a new folder right? It just toggles the track below to either become a subfolder or not right ?
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:06 AM   #30
MikComposer
Human being with feelings
 
MikComposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Most of the users here are used to tweaking in Reaper and working with workarounds to try to achieve the workflow that suits us best. Even though it is very flexible, there are some preferences that are not as easy to implement. I'm not sure of a simple workaround for this specific issue.

It doesn't actually make a new folder right? It just toggles the track below to either become a subfolder or not right ?
Yeah.

Some of most important elements are not changeable. This can be changed by editing the theme. But for many other elements reaper needs to be rebuild from ground up.
__________________
My Royalty Free Music library
MikComposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:23 AM   #31
Coachz
Human being with feelings
 
Coachz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 7,841
Default

yup, Reaper is what it is. Hopefully you can find a workflow or workaround that lets you focus on music. When I started out in Reaper, I went through all 5000+ actions and learned what they did and narrowed down to my 200+ favorites and deleted all Reaper keyboard maps and started fresh with my most used on F1-F12 etc.

If you get a setup that works for you Reaper will be your bud for life. It's not for everyone but for those who it fits with it's heavenly. Good luck and I hope you find the tool that lets you make tons of music easily.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #32
MikComposer
Human being with feelings
 
MikComposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
yup, Reaper is what it is. Hopefully you can find a workflow or workaround that lets you focus on music. When I started out in Reaper, I went through all 5000+ actions and learned what they did and narrowed down to my 200+ favorites and deleted all Reaper keyboard maps and started fresh with my most used on F1-F12 etc.

If you get a setup that works for you Reaper will be your bud for life. It's not for everyone but for those who it fits with it's heavenly. Good luck and I hope you find the tool that lets you make tons of music easily.
Yeah, I have spent whole month and more customizing it. Can you imagine how much work I could have done trough that period?

I don't want to hunch over kb so I try to create buttons that trigger many action simultaneously depending on the context. And it is still way to limiting. I'd like to create one button that has actions for midi ed and main view. Cubase le 7 has more options and smart tools than vanilla reaper, all of them are easily accessed trough toolbar, inspector and trough lmb, with way less buttons displayed keeping things clean. Million actions and hounded scripts only give illusion of incredible functionality. Truth is, thought out interface is way more functional. Reaper doesn't have to be cubase, but it should look up to older brother and learn from its experience, and I bet it could make things even better.
__________________
My Royalty Free Music library
MikComposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:07 PM   #33
Coachz
Human being with feelings
 
Coachz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 7,841
Default

If you don't have luck getting a workflow you like within a few weeks you might want to pick a different DAW.

Here is my setup as an example. Of course it won't be for you you but might add some ideas.

My Toolbar.
http://imgur.com/a/KRzBw

Screenshot
http://www.filedropper.com/screenshot001

My Excel Shortcuts
http://www.filedropper.com/shortcuts_2

My Prefs, during import select just what you want.
http://www.filedropper.com/allconfig201612226
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:24 PM   #34
MikComposer
Human being with feelings
 
MikComposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
If you don't have luck getting a workflow you like within a few weeks you might want to pick a different DAW.

Here is my setup as an example. Of course it won't be for you you but might add some ideas.

My Toolbar.
http://imgur.com/a/KRzBw

Screenshot
http://www.filedropper.com/screenshot001

My Excel Shortcuts
http://www.filedropper.com/shortcuts_2

My Prefs, during import select just what you want.
http://www.filedropper.com/allconfig201612226
At some point i probably will.

But this is besides the point. I want repaer to be better.

And I have shit ton of buttons too. But cubase has 3 times less buttons but with 3 times more functionality packed in to them then what you have on display. That's my point ( other then being slick and smooth )
__________________
My Royalty Free Music library
MikComposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:48 PM   #35
Coachz
Human being with feelings
 
Coachz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 7,841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
At some point i probably will.

But this is besides the point. I want repaer to be better.

And I have shit ton of buttons too. But cubase has 3 times less buttons but with 3 times more functionality packed in to them then what you have on display. That's my point ( other then being slick and smooth )
A single button in Reaper can have as much power and functionality as you are willing to pack into a list of actions. Some of my buttons have 20 things going on at one click. Reaper is very very well know as a tweakers DAW and not a user friendly DAW. It's definitely not for everyone but is VERY much the only DAW for me. The tweakability suits me wonderfully and getting ready to retire in a few weeks I can't wait to get back into it.

For me, Reaper is a completely functional tool as it is NOW. Having mixed songs with 180 tracks and a ton of stuff going on I really love it. Having said that, if I were in charge of Reaper I would keep the devs busy for at least a year adding the functions I would like. BUT, as it is, I can do what I want and make lots of music. If what Reaper is NOW suits your needs then you are in luck, if not then it is very likely that any new features you want won't get implemented for years if ever.

I hope you find the tool that fits for you. There is no better feeling than to know that you can record everything you ever wanted.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:52 PM   #36
Coachz
Human being with feelings
 
Coachz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 7,841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcartwright View Post
Please, go to Cubase. It might make you happy, and it would greatly reduce the noise in this forum (everybody wins).
I know it can be noisy and Reaper is not for everyone but it's always enlightening to see others workflows and wants. In short order they get sorted or move to another DAW.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:56 PM   #37
MikComposer
Human being with feelings
 
MikComposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
A single button in Reaper can have as much power and functionality as you are willing to pack into a list of actions. Some of my buttons have 20 things going on at one click. Reaper is very very well know as a tweakers DAW and not a user friendly DAW. It's definitely not for everyone but is VERY much the only DAW for me. The tweakability suits me wonderfully and getting ready to retire in a few weeks I can't wait to get back into it.

For me, Reaper is a completely functional tool as it is NOW. Having mixed songs with 180 tracks and a ton of stuff going on I really love it. Having said that, if I were in charge of Reaper I would keep the devs busy for at least a year adding the functions I would like. BUT, as it is, I can do what I want and make lots of music. If what Reaper is NOW suits your needs then you are in luck, if not then it is very likely that any new features you want won't get implemented for years if ever.

I hope you find the tool that fits for you. There is no better feeling than to know that you can record everything you ever wanted.
That's great man. I'm not trying to tell you it's not good for you, or that it is not good at all. All i'm doing is showing examples where it shortcomings are and how to improve them.
__________________
My Royalty Free Music library
MikComposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:59 PM   #38
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings
 
Lokasenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 6,551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
All i'm doing is showing examples where it shortcomings are and how to improve them.
But a lot of them (like the one this thread is about) are only shortcomings to YOU. Reaper's workflow is pretty good for a lot of people right out of the box, and for a lot more people with a bit of customization.

If you really need a specific workflow and Reaper can't do it, that sucks, and you're more than welcome to request features or scripts. But that's not a problem with Reaper; your preferred workflow is not the only workflow.

As I said earlier today, the folks on this forum are usually quite happy to make scripts or modify themes if you ask nicely. I even offered to mod the theme you're using for you to fix the issue with the folder button.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:00 PM   #39
Coachz
Human being with feelings
 
Coachz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 7,841
Default

First find out if Reaper is going to work for you as it is. If it is then fine. If you require any improvements that require coding then you will likely be disappointed. Best of luck.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:18 AM   #40
Kenny Gioia
Human being with feelings
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
Its not easy to precisely click on the number. Why I would even want to be so precise. Software should do this for me. I am on 15" full hd screen with high dpi mouse. But even so, I have only problem of clicking not the things I want to click in reaper. With everything else: chrome, photoshop, construct, plugins, games, ms office etc there is no problem.
I think you need to understand that by changing your theme to a theme created by another user, you yourself have tweaked REAPER. See if the same problem exists in the Default theme before accusing the company of not doing what works for you.

This is the problem with having software that allows users to customize it. REAPER is then held responsible for it NOT working the way you want. Even though YOU changed it.

You tried an analogy earlier but here is a better one. You bought a car and replaced the radio and now you want to complain that the radio isn't working for you to the person who made the car.

My suggestion to you is to figure out how to make a layout in that theme that removes the button you don't want to accidentally click and use that layout and switch back to the layout that allows it when you need to create folders.

Good luck.

Last edited by Kenny Gioia; 12-27-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.