Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 11-13-2016, 04:51 PM   #1
Joe Miller
Human being with feelings

Default Low precision/latency while 'on a track', Timestamped while playing back?

I've just been experimenting with the Midi port options in Reaper on Windows, and I notice that the 'Low Latency/Low Precision' option makes live playing 'thru' the current midi track a lot better for short latency than the precision mode, which is to be expected.

I was wondering if it would be possible to have a hybrid choice here: Low precision low latency while you are on the track, playing through it, i.e. while the transport is stationary, or during recording into that track, so that the playing experience is the best possible keyboard-to-instrument latency - BUT - when playing back the same track, and any others, treat the recorded midi separately, addressing the Midi ports as high precision/timestamped?

The aim being to have the best of both worlds, to subjectively have the lowest latency for the keyboardist playing a VSTi or hardware midi instrument, but not applying that low precision to the recorded midi playing back, rather, applying the precision mode for best timing directed at VSTi/hardware instruments.

Hope this makes sense!
Joe Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:05 PM   #2
Joe Miller

p.s. just ignore/slap me or something if this is how Reaper already works and I missed the memo
Joe Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:36 AM   #3
ReaDave

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

I generally leave REAPER set to low latency/low precision mode all the time now. Despite the name, I find it to be much better timing wise (far lower jitter) than the high precision mode.
Low buffer sizes for rendering are much better for MIDI timing too.
ReaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:07 PM   #4
Novosibirsk

Sorry to bump an old post. But how does one set up low precision/latency on MIDI tracks? I've been struggling to deal with some of my jitter, and this issue comes as a potential resolution, but no instructions in sight on how to implement "low precision" mode.
Novosibirsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:22 AM   #5
EvilDragon

You don't set it on tracks, you set it on MIDI devices in Preferences->Audio->MIDI devices.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote