Old 02-25-2020, 10:34 AM   #1
horneusz
Human being with feelings

Default freeze midi items and copy it

Can you help me with that?

I often copy the frozen midi items, but I must remove additional items after the unfreeze.

Attached Images
File Type: png fr2.PNG (34.8 KB, 269 views)
horneusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:04 AM   #2
xpander

What exactly is the problem?

Freeze actions are per track. When you freeze a track, a new audio item will be created. When you unfreeze that track, the original items and FX will be restored. You can copy the frozen item to other tracks, but unfreezing won't do anything for it.

You might be talking about something else than freezing?
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:12 AM   #3
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
What exactly is the problem?

Freeze actions are per track. When you freeze a track, a new audio item will be created. When you unfreeze that track, the original items and FX will be restored. You can copy the frozen item to other tracks, but unfreezing won't do anything for it.

You might be talking about something else than freezing?
If you copy a frozen item and then delete that item will the original WAV file still exist for so that the original item still has a source?
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:33 AM   #4
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
If you copy a frozen item and then delete that item will the original WAV file still exist for so that the original item still has a source?
Just copying the frozen item doesn't create any new audio files, copied items use the original source. Deleting any/all of the copied items won't delete the source file. Works also the other way around. You can unfreeze or delete the original item, the copies will still refer to the source file (original freeze file).

You would get rid of the source file only by deleting all related items in the project and then using the Clean current project directory action.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:38 AM   #5
horneusz

I made a video clip to show it better:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2kezphvsx...eaper.mp4?dl=0
horneusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:45 AM   #6
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Just copying the frozen item doesn't create any new audio files, copied items use the original source. Deleting any/all of the copied items won't delete the source file. Works also the other way around. You can unfreeze or delete the original item, the copies will still refer to the source file (original freeze file).

You would get rid of the source file only by deleting all related items in the project and then using the Clean current project directory action.
Cool, glad it makes sense. Thanks
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:02 PM   #7
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horneusz View Post
I made a video clip to show it better:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2kezphvsx...eaper.mp4?dl=0
Yep, that's what happens with unfreezing. All of the original items in the frozen track will get restored, also with copies on the same track. Selecting to copy an area which would've originally (before freeze) covered only one item won't change this. What you are looking for seems to be item, not track based freezing.

Related feature request:
FR: FREEZE Take/Item FX + Take Envelopes

Instead of freeze, you could maybe apply track/take FX to individual items and then set the take FX offline?
Old 02-26-2020, 01:42 AM   #8
juliansader

The scripts in this thread may be useful: "Render INTO next take": Re-render / freeze item without losing later edits.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:08 AM   #9
maczook

Interesting!

I tried it for myself, and didn't end up with extra items like you did in your video, although some of my edits didn't translate over.

Are you opposed to duplicating the track, doing any kind of edits to the audio on the duplicated one, and then having the other track remain in the background in case you want to mess with the original midi? You can make a custom action and add "disable track" to your freeze action, so that way it wont take up any cpu being in the background (you could even hide it from the tcp/mcp if you want, so it's not there unless you need it )

Hope this helps!

Best Wishes,

-Mac
maczook is offline   Reply With Quote