Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
tetz
Human being with feelings

Default ASIO4All Setup with REALTek HD Audio Driver

It might be the redundant topic but I haven't found an answer for my problem. so please let me ask again.

I am trying to do some basic recording on my Netbook (msi u100) with on-board REALTEK Audio chip. I know I can't expect anything decent with a netbook's onboard chip but since the REAPER is very Light weighed in terms of CPU consumption, I just want to use it as a sketch book that can be used in any place without having to connect any outboard interfaces.
Anyway, A problem I am encountering is that I CANNOT HEAR ANYTHING WITH ASIO4ALL DRIVER.
ASIO4ALL seems to be the inevitable solution in order to avoid any latencies, however, while the recording on first track works fine recording on other tracks is impossible because monitoring on recorded track is disabled since the ASIO4ALL doesn't recognise the REALTEK Audio Out signals.
The Output range in device setting indicates the status as 'Not Connected' if I choose ASIO4ALL.

Is it something to do BIOS? or Compatibility?
Could anyone please explain what the hell is wrong here? or Am I just trying something very stupid to use a netbook as a multi-track-recorder in a first place?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WS000001.jpg (44.8 KB, 17985 views)
File Type: jpg WS000002.JPG (60.2 KB, 9186 views)
File Type: jpg WS000004.jpg (36.4 KB, 10435 views)

Last edited by tetz; 02-25-2010 at 07:20 AM.
tetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
manning1

post a pic of your reap audio preferences mate..
a pic is worth a thousand words.
so people can see your settings for input n output.
the realteks themselves have a user control panel..
make sure you have it set properly //nothing muted.

if you cant get it to work...
zzounds.com has a bunch of cheap interfaces/sound devices.
starting at 30 buks for the behringer uca 202 if i remember.
prolly have to test how well works witn your netbook.
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:22 AM   #3
AndyNewton

I am having the same problem on a Dell desktop PC - but only recently.

Have used ASIO4ALL with no problems for months. Used both internal PC soundcard (SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC) and external USB guitar interface input/output port for simulataneous REAPER inputs and outputs.
Recently disconnected the USB port to clear deskspace for some other priorities, intending to continue using REAPER & ASIO4ALL through the PC's internal soundcard only.
But... now no sound output and REAPER Preferences - Audio Device lists only "Not Connected 1" in the Output range First and Last drop downs.

Worth trying....?

1) In REAPER Preferences - Audio Device, click the ASIO Configuration button to open the ASIO4ALL devices list. Check the displayed status of input and output devices in the ASIO4ALL list. Click any + symbols to expand list and check details. Adjust anything that looks a likely fix. Click icons at the left of inputs to turn on and off.

2) Then close down and restart REAPER.

3) Then check REAPER Preferences - Audio Device, to see if output is now visible to REAPER.

Doing 1 2 3 above on my PC, the ASIO4ALL configuration window does show the onboard soundcard output as being present and correct. REAPER still can't see it though... hmmm???

Temporary fix: I have switched REAPER Preferences Audio Device - Audio System = WaveOut. The sound output is now working. Have not tried recording with that setup but expect huge latency as WaveOut is a non-ASIO driver. So still need to get ASIO4ALL and REAPER to be working together on input and output again.

Last edited by AndyNewton; 02-25-2010 at 03:36 AM.
AndyNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
tetz

>manning1

Tnx for the res.
The Screen shot for my device setting is as attached.

>interfaces/sound devices
I have an external firewire audio interface (motu 828) for Mac which I use it for Logic Pro.
But the msi U100 netbook doesn't have a firwire or PCI port, however, as I stated already that's not the whole point. My purpose for using small netbook is to record musical ideas whenever/wherever to multitracks without having to connect any external devices. I don't even want to grab a microphone for this purpose. and I thought a litte netbook with REAPER installed makes perfect sketch pad. 'Portability' is what matters more than price in this case.
I got this idea from this forum, so I thought guys are using REAPER on their netbook with onboard chip already.
tetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
AndyNewton

News update:

Have just installed the latest beta version of ASIO4ALL.

The ASIO4ALL configuration window now detects a problem connected with my onboard soundchip Audio Output and displays the yellow (venus) "beyond logic" error icon as shown in the attached screenshot.

Perhaps the previous non-beta version also had the same problem but failed to recognize the problem and so did not display the error symbol?

Next steps, if any? ... ideas anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ASIO4ALL-Sigmatel-OutputProblem.jpg (72.8 KB, 9921 views)
AndyNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
manning1

andy..
i notice 24 bit selected in your asio pic.
only time ive used on board sound ive set on board sound in win
to use 16 bit in the control panel for the on board sound chip.
then in asio4all it normally worked.
have you tried 16 bit ??
run a test setting in as 16 bit n same for out.
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote