Old 02-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper for live show

I recently was talked back into going out and playing some live gigs again, and the band I'll be playing in uses a computer with some software I've never heard of before (Live Show or something like that), to play back midi files that have both automation for the lighting system, and music data that plays back to a rack of hardware synths for some additional support instruments. Percussion parts, occasional horn stabs, and other complimentary things.

Anyway, I'm wondering if they might do better to use Reaper for that functionality. I looked at the software they are using now, and it pretty much looked like a simple play list thing that you could pick songs that weren't in the current set, for in the case where you are playing a request that wasn't already in the set list. So would Reaper be a better choice for that role, or is the tool they are already using a better match for something like this?
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:53 PM   #2
mschnell

All this can certainly be based on Reaper, but supposedly will need quite a lot of additional programming such as scripts, JSFXes and Midi to DFX utilities.

A friend of mine and I myself already did some work for stuff like that.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:22 PM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
All this can certainly be based on Reaper, but supposedly will need quite a lot of additional programming such as scripts, JSFXes and Midi to DFX utilities.

A friend of mine and I myself already did some work for stuff like that.

-Michael
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like it may be more involved than it's worth. They do have a working setup now with Live Show, or whatever it's called. The biggest thing is there are some things they can't edit in that software, so they have to copy the midi file out to a DAW to make changes, then copy back to the laptop.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote