Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 03-27-2020, 04:31 PM   #1
propman
Human being with feelings

Default High DSP load only on Reaper (AV Linux)?

Dear forumers,
I've ran into a problem I'm hoping you can assist me with. When I use Ardour, my DSP load listed in Jack sits at about 22% running two tracks with a generous amount of plugins. In reaper, running those same plugins, it can shoot up to above 45% pretty easily. I could get Ardour to run smoothly without any Xruns at 128/2. Reaper drops out like mad at 256/2 AND 512/2.

I suspected my computer was at fault until I decided to open up Ardour. I don't like Ardour's interface and have been a long-time dedicated Reaper-phile. Can somebody shed some light on what is happening and tell me if there's anything I can do to fix this issue? I'm running it in AV Linux.

Forever thankful,
-Adam.

P.S. Also, I've noticed that - even if I change my sample rate in Jack to 96khz (which my interface is capable of), it remains 44100Khz. Why?

Last edited by propman; 03-27-2020 at 05:59 PM.
propman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:28 AM   #2
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

I don't know why reaper should cause a higher dsp load..

However if you have recarmed tracks with fx, or fx on the master track you might be able to lower the dsp load by unrecarming or disabling/removing the fx on the master track. There are also some interesting settings in the performance window, right click for some more options. Reaper's RT CPU measures the dsp load from inside of reaper.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote