Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 04-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #121
korakios
Human being with feelings

Why on earth do I have email notification enabled for this zombie thread?

I am done with Reaper (finally!!!!) . I miss the forum but had to move on...
korakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #122
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable frequencies View Post
I've been pulling my hair out over syncing my hardware to reaper purely for recording purposes. I wanted to record each seperate track from my Octatrack, Electribe and Blofeld, to allow me more flexibility when it comes to mix down. as has been previously stated, Reaper WILL NOT be slave device...just does not want to recognize MTC from any device, so i eventually got Reaper working as the master device, but the independent tracks i was recording seemed to be slipping in and out of time and made the recording absolutely useless. Its not only Reaper that this is an issue with, quite an extraordinary amount of other DAW seem to suffer from the same issue, with somewhat weak and wishy washy master clocking.
Interesting. I was in the same mood yesterday ("I wanted to record each seperate track from my Octatrack, Electribe and Blofeld"), and stupidly forgot that Reaper has no Midi slave setting.
I have a nice hardware-based setup running fine, and just wanted to record each track at once into Reaper. But having no Midi slave support for the tempo made it rather hard to do

So... let's bump ?!
Please, consider adding Midi clock slave mode to Reaper.
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:05 PM   #123
maleako

+10000000000
maleako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:26 AM   #124
Untouchable_888

I was really hoping that when I got to the end of this thread I'd see a solution.. So really in five years no solution has been found? (Either on consumer or developer end?)
Untouchable_888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:43 AM   #125
ivansc

This is not unique to Reaper. Sonar was the same last time I tried it.
Maybe it is either very difficult to do because of all the different hardware permutations, or alternatively that the HARDWARE units most folks use dont like being master....

I ran into this the first time with Bars n Pipes Pro on an Amiga computer.
Had a Cooper smpte box and a pair of Fostex D90s that would ONLY ever synch in one direction, not the other.

Mind you, Behringer have their issues with ADAT clock synch on the old ADA8000 - hopefully a little easier to sort out in the ADA8020
Old 01-16-2017, 04:50 AM   #126
flipotto

Default Bump

Bump, this thread!
flipotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:02 AM   #127
cristian_v

whoops just invested in a solid master clock for eurorack which sends its sync over midi assuming the all featured Reaper would have a MIDI clock in -- but it doesn't!

Polite request to devs for midi clock input to Reaper DAW
cristian_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:28 AM   #128
cristian_v

I can't think of any way for Reaper to record in sync from Eurorack or other hardware master clocks that don't send MTC and tend to send MIDI Clock 24PPQN sync.

devs, please add this feature...
cristian_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:45 AM   #129
EvilDragon

I'd say there are probably good reasons why this wasn't added in more than 5 years... And why other DAWs might have the same issues (as ivansc says above, Sonar is the same).

Sell that clock if you want to use a DAW for recording, it must be the clock master. Or get a hardware recorder, those can usually be slaved to MTC.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:24 AM   #130
sinkmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I'd say there are probably good reasons why this wasn't added in more than 5 years...
Well, i guess so, but i'm still hoping for it, badly.
Once you've found a workflow (and it can take several years), and once you're hooked to Reaper, you're willing to get the best of both worlds

Of course, from a developer's point of view, there must be technical reasons behind that lack of a core feature(or it would be just madness).
But still, from a user's point of view (and i should add : "from a user's perepective... used to use other DAWs with such a feature implemented"), it's very frustrating to have an hybrid configuration (software + midi hardware + cv hardware) fully working, and having to change everything if you "just" want to have Reaper receive the clock...
(... and it's twice as frustrating to ask for it and getting no reply or official statement in the official forum)

Quote:
other DAWs might have the same issues (as ivansc says above, Sonar is the same).
Yes, "might"... Live does feature it for instance. So, for hybrid work i use Live more and more (despite loving Live less and less). But i really do prefer Reaper for the audio work, and i wish i could just use Reaper as a time-synced multitrack recorder (just like a do with Ableton) so i could efficiently do some post-production work with it.

Quote:
get a hardware recorder, those can usually be slaved to MTC.
ED, it's nonsense It's a workflow killer !
...record to your hardware recorder, then transfer to your DAW ? Thanks, but no thanks I'd rather record straight into Live in time-synced slave mode, and then export to Reaper... and i even prefer to multi-track record in Reaper with no clock at all (even if after it's a pain in the ass and a big loss of time to re-sync everything).
Old 03-29-2017, 12:14 PM   #131
sinkmusic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEj6Y8aHM-c
Old 03-30-2017, 03:49 AM   #132
TonE

I like if Reaper is master and rest slave, then you can even have logarithmic bpm changes via program change > osc > reaper. Rest following. Anton Savov's midi clock vst does the rest.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:29 AM   #133
Ulf3000

Quote:
I'd say there are probably good reasons why this wasn't added in more than 5 years... And why other DAWs might have the same issues (as ivansc says above, Sonar is the same).

Sell that clock if you want to use a DAW for recording, it must be the clock master. Or get a hardware recorder, those can usually be slaved to MTC.
yo drachenlord you´re in every thread telling people " there are good reasons ..." like you are some kind of developer or something lol .. its not like its technically impossible or whatever you mean with that ...
Ulf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:37 PM   #134
petervh

Bumping this thread.

I spent some time trying to slave Reaper to midi clock from Max/MSP (& and a few other tools) with no success. I want the ability to modulate the Reaper clock frequency in real-time, but that definitely seems to be impossible from my experiments.

Controlling the clock across OSC also resulted in a lot of buggy behaviour (distorted audio, misplaced play cursor). Modulating the clock via OSC on a midi loop while sending the audio to a return track for output recording resulted in all kinds of weird shit.

& it seems impossible to push the tempo below 40BPM or above 294BPM via OSC, although via the number box on the GUI you can select between 2BPM & 960BPM.

I know my use case is somewhat unusual but still it's a struggle.

Last edited by petervh; 11-25-2018 at 08:46 PM.
petervh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #135
Mink99

Default Bump

This thread started years ago in 2011, and it still doesn't work. This is basics .... how embarassing... but in the meantime we got f..ing video, while simple things still do not work and stay ignored

Let us have a party on the ten years anniversary of this bug in february 2021....
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:07 PM   #136
Mink99

Quote:

First , we are talking about midi clock. Not mtc
Second, we expect reaper to be better than other daw
Third, it is not too complicated. Maybe the „good“ reasons are plain PEBKAC
Old 12-16-2019, 05:34 AM   #137
LugNut

Hi,
Only a few daws support being a slave. Justin has said midi clock sync where reaper is slave will never happen. That suks big time.

Maybe trying to get the devs to support Link may work?
It seems all sorts of music apps in iOS land can sync to link easily.

I use a daw on my iPad that can sync audio and midi to either mc/spp or link.
And the audio/midi seamlessly follows in real time. And I always thought reaper had a superior audio/midi engine. Hmmmm...

So how about supporting Link?
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:19 AM   #138
sinkmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink99 View Post
Second, we expect reaper to be better than other daw
Not necessarly "better", but "on par with" other daws would be great.
Ableton Live can be set as Midi slave, it works fine, and it is great to sync it to hardware gear.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:26 AM   #139
EvilDragon

Live also doesn't have master playrate like Reaper does, which is what I'm assuming is one of reasons why MIDI sync slaving won't happen in Reaper.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:58 AM   #140
sinkmusic

Quote:
Live also doesn't have master playrate like Reaper does, which is what I'm assuming is one of reasons why MIDI sync slaving won't happen in Reaper.
I would happily trade the master playrate for a Midi slave feature
Old 12-22-2019, 08:57 PM   #141
Mink99

Quote:
Your assumptions are not backed by observations. Those things should have nothing in common. And even if.... The master playrate could easily be disabled when reaper is running under external clock.

Last edited by Mink99; 12-26-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 09:21 PM   #142
Mink99

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Hi,
Only a few daws support being a slave. Justin has said midi clock sync where reaper is slave will never happen. That suks big time.

So how about supporting Link?
Let us not take the stineberg developers as an example.... of course they cannot implement that. But live and bitwig can do it.
And the feature is there, half implemented and not working, but the integration works are already done. Just the chasing algorithm hast to be fixed (or better rewritten) add the spp and start features (5 minutes coding) and we are thru....
but obviously it is more fun to explore new worlds like .... video... than to fix basic features.

The problem is not the midi clock per se, it is on chasing and locking on a variable (tempo based) timing signal. Whatever this may be. If reaper can run under midi clock, it can run under „link“ too. Unfortunately my clock generators and drum boxes generate midi clock and not „link“.....

Last edited by Mink99; 12-26-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:26 PM   #143
Robdamage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink99 View Post
Let us not take the stineberg developers as an example.... of course they cannot implement that. But live and bitwig can do it.
And the feature is there, half implemented and not working, but the integration works are already done. Just the chasing algorithm hast to be fixed (or better rewritten) add the spp and start features (5 minutes coding) and we are thru....
but obviously it is more fun to explore new worlds like .... video... than to fix basic features.

The problem is not the midi clock per se, it is on chasing and locking on a variable (tempo based) timing signal. Whatever this may be. If reaper can run under midi clock, it can run under „link“ too. Unfortunately my clock generators and drum boxes generate midi clock and not „link“.....
Sorry. I'm totally new to Reaper, I've asked this question before, and "I think" my issue may be similar. When I try and record my hardware with a count in, Reaper immediately starts my hardware instead of waiting for the count in to end. When recording this is problematic in that it cuts out the measure that was playing during the count-in. It's obviously not a deal-breaker for me, but still it nags because no other DAW I've used had this problem and it's making me think it's my own user error.
Robdamage is offline   Reply With Quote