Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 09-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #81
Soli Deo Gloria
Human being with feelings

Yeah, dude, go on with the discussion, I agree with you! I do lots of things in Bidule as a plugin - in realtime -, but it would be nice if we could have more stuff alla "logical editor"...
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #82
Mr. Data

Thank you!!

I think this thingy (proposed for V3.62 I think it was) should be bumped more often. Features like these would possibly beat a lot of DAWs MIDI-wise, I reckon.
But the point isn't to beat other DAWs but to make it most versatile for us users.

-Data
Old 09-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #83
EvilDragon

I would say that the mockups need to be completely re-thunk considering all the GUI changes that happened in v4... Guess this should be a proper dialog window, dockable.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:53 PM   #84
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Data View Post
But the point isn't to beat other DAWs but to make it most versatile for us users.-Data
Exactly, that´s the point. Threads like this have to be up on the list often, as you say... I also own Cubase 7.5 - mainly for compatibility -, but for my workflow Reaper, even with its quirks, it´s already unbeatable. Of course, I privilege flexibility over any X or Y MIDI feature, for which I can, most of the time, find a workaround. Sooner or later these things will happen, just like having a proper MIDI-thru or stuff like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I would say that the mockups need to be completely re-thunk considering all the GUI changes that happened in v4... Guess this should be a proper dialog window, dockable.
Yes, a window that could be applied on a project/track/item basis, maybe...
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #85
Mr. Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post

Yes, a window that could be applied on a project/track/item basis, maybe...
Yes, I thought about that as well (a long time ago already, btw), but since there was such a huge and tremendous () amount of interest in this, I was too lazy and, to be honest, a bit discouraged to put further work in this.

Anyway, thanx guys! We'll see, what happens.

-Data
Old 11-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #86
peterdriver

Default Midi filtering

I've just discovered this thread so I'm sorry for the late contribution. As an original user of Notator on the Atari, and then its successor Logic the original value of midi filtering as identified by the Transformation and Boolean logic pages excited me greatly.

I have been lusting after a notation solution in Reaper, which impresses me so much as an audio package, so I'm very reluctant to throw in the towel and go back to Logic, just to get the luxury of timing and feel control. However, with the onset of sophisticated sampling packages, we should expect to use notation that is capable of these sorts of control rather than the bland engraving presentation of Sibelius, Finale and even Musescore, good as they all are.

So my suggestions for filtering and transformation of Midi data are based entirely on musical wants, and NOT technical possibility:

1. Import of a score-produced midi file from, say, Musescore, which can then be subject to a humanise process which is much more flexible than currently presented (ie offering global or targeted local solutions to the user in terms of attack time, duration and velocity as a minimum starter)

2. This would offer separate playback possibilities whilst leaving a usable, playable score for 'real' players. This was achieved in Logic by the separate score quantise on the graphic of the score only.

3. What Reaper now offers with the exciting possibilities of Parameter Modulation may represent further control of the score in terms of:

a) Copying musical parameters of timing, velocity and duration PLUS the chance to automate local crescendos, staccati, or whatever musical performance parameters you pick from one track to another. Thus section performance parameters could be transferred through the concept of the score really increasing the playback and performance elements of a score.

b) A performed part (in my case a guitar based element) could easily be used to copy a collective feel as described above to any other single instrument or section.

None of these ideas could be developed without some initial response to the problems of filtering as painstakingly presented by Mr Data in the opening suggestions of the thread. There are clearly some really organised technical bods out there to whom I pose the question 'Can we use parameter modulation as the basis for most of these sorts of operation, so that even the rather crude implementation of elements like humanise can be opened out in the not too distant future?'

This looks like exciting stuff if we can persuade the programmers! My suggestion would offer an alternative to reinventing the wheel with the creation of a bespoke notation package.
peterdriver is offline   Reply With Quote