Old 11-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #1
xpander
Human being with feelings

Default v5.985 - November 13 2019

v5.985 - November 13 2019 - Ken Enjoyer

+ Actions: improve performance of various selected-track mute/solo actions [t=225636]
+ Actions: improve performance/undo behavior of actions to adjust track send volume/pan
+ Arrange: use arrow rather than ibeam for various cursors
+ Batch converter: optionally preserve existing BWF start time or use media item position [t=213925]
+ Control surfaces: improve MCU behavior relating to secondary time display units
+ Linux: fix GDK handle leak when hosting plug-ins
+ Linux: improve handling of backslashes in relative paths when resolving files
+ macOS: improve handling of backslashes in relative paths when resolving files
+ macOS: windows without defined main menu inherit the main menu from their owners
+ MIDI editor: expand hit area for bank/program markers
+ MIDI editor: fix ruler drawing glitch on first measure [t=226822]
+ MIDI editor: prevent overlapping window controls when displaying swing grid
+ MIDI editor: support customized left-drag marquee when outside the active media item [t=225296]
+ MIDI recording: improve behavior when near time selection start and option to fit recording to time selection is not set
+ MIDI: improve support for displaying VST instrument program names in MIDI editor bank/program select lane
+ Media explorer: consolidate undo points when adding multiple takes to media
+ Media explorer: deselect other media items when inserting media via action
+ Media: support embedded Apple Loops tempo information when importing .aiff files
+ Mouse modifiers: add modifiers to move item contents while obeying snap
+ Multichannel: use correct supported channel count when increasing track channels via routing [t=226080]
+ Notation editor: improve vertical alignment of notes on staff
+ Project load: improve FX missing warning details
+ ReaGate: improve ducking mode, legacy ducking mode shows indeterminate checkbox
+ ReaScript: fix potential crash after closing IDE with script running modal prompt [t=226998]
+ ReaScript: do not move cursor when clicking scrollbars in IDE [t=226953]
+ ReaScript: do not scroll to cursor when resizing IDE window [t=226953]
+ ReaScript: improve handling when inserting MIDI notes out of order
+ ReaScript: allow gfx_init() to move/resize window when specifying an empty title string
+ ReaScript: fix CreateNewMIDIItemInProj() in QN mode [t=222056]
+ ReaScript: make CreateNewMIDIItemInProj() obey loop source preference [t=222056]
+ ReaSurround: improve behavior when rotating inputs out of view
+ Render: allow specifying .aiff extension for AIFF files, .mp4 or .m4v for videos, etc
+ Takes: fix crash when copying selected area of items with empty takes (5.984 regression) [t=226914]
+ Tempo envelope: adjust tempo envelope properly when setting point shape to linear via action list
+ Tempo envelope: fix behavior of action to insert new point from action list or context menu
+ Video: fix potential VLC crash [t=226797]
+ VST: do not query out of range note-names[*]+ VST: support migration of supported VST2s to VST3 at project load (with user notification)

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
xpander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:57 AM   #2
bFooz

FAST FIX NEEDED - Default envelope point shape is broken since this release.

bFooz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:06 AM   #3
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
FAST FIX NEEDED - Default envelope point shape is broken since this release.
The change ensures that if you insert a point by clicking on the envelope itself, the previous curve is maintained and the shape of the previous point is used. If you insert a point by clicking not on the envelope itself but elsewhere in the lane, the default point shape is used. New behavior on the left, old behavior on the right:

We can change this so the previous curve shape is preserved, but the new point gets the default point shape.

Last edited by schwa; 11-14-2019 at 07:23 AM.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:23 AM   #4
bFooz

Then the problem seems to be with handling the very first default point.

Itself it is set OK to slow start/end but the next added point is wrongly set to bezier, plus it does behave like linear. (And the first point is then being set to bezier as well.)

EDIT: All new points behave like this, does not matter if there is only the first default point there. You can have the previous point set to any shape (except square) and the next point is always set to bezier but behaves like linear.

Last edited by bFooz; 11-14-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:25 AM   #5
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
We can change this so the previous curve shape is preserved, but the new point gets the default point shape.
This may work as intended, but there is a bug.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:18 AM   #6
heda

Is the playback time offset per track still experimental? It works well. I was hoping it to be included in this release.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:34 AM   #7
EpicSounds

+ VST: support migration of supported VST2s to VST3 at project load (with user notification)

this sounds great but I can't figure it out.

What's a scenario that the notification would appear?
Old 11-14-2019, 09:49 AM   #8
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
+ VST: support migration of supported VST2s to VST3 at project load (with user notification)

this sounds great but I can't figure it out.

What's a scenario that the notification would appear?
The VST3 API provides a way for VST2 developers to update their VST2 plugins so that the saved settings are compatible with a VST3 version of the same plugin. If this scenario occurs -- the developer updates the VST2, you have a project saved with that VST2, then load the project on a machine that does not have the VST2 but does have the compatible VST3 -- REAPER will give you this warning:

WARNING - The following VST2 plug-ins were not available, but matching VST3 versions were found. This is a one-way migration, if you save this project it will require the VST3 versions going forward: {plugin name}
Old 11-14-2019, 10:21 AM   #9
EcBaPr

Quote:
The VST3 API provides a way for VST2 developers to update their VST2 plugins so that the saved settings are compatible with a VST3 version of the same plugin. If this scenario occurs -- the developer updates the VST2, you have a project saved with that VST2, then load the project on a machine that does not have the VST2 but does have the compatible VST3 -- REAPER will give you this warning:

WARNING - The following VST2 plug-ins were not available, but matching VST3 versions were found. This is a one-way migration, if you save this project it will require the VST3 versions going forward: {plugin name}

That's very cool..
EcBaPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:01 PM   #10
moliere

Quote:

Now if they just did this with 32bit vs 64bit versions, that would be super awesome. Both Slate and Arturia updated their plugin installation suites so that when you update it *removes* the 32bit plugins, so I haven't been able to update yet given I have 32bit versions scattered through tons of projects.
moliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:18 PM   #11
pepe44

Nice updates. Going to check, thanks
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #12
Joe90

Still seeing the issues with Marquee zooming that I mentioned in the pre-release thread -

https://stash.reaper.fm/37502/marque...ue%205.985.gif

When the edge of the marquee crosses over into a fully collapsed folder track the resulting zoom position is inconsistent.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:49 AM   #13
mikeonb4c

Quote:

Just installed latest version and ABSOLUTELY LOVE this feature. Just one of the mistakes a newbie like me makes is not realising that Reaper is designed to work with (my Waves) VST3 not VST plugin versions. Consequence - lots of legacy uses of VSTs. Now, each time I load a legacy project, Reaper will implement VST3 where it finds VST, if I so wish. And that's great!!! Just love Reaper - it always delivers for me.

I wish I could say the same about Waves. Their move from v10 to v11 (Waves Central, and plugins) is causing me days of wasted effort, confusion, and plummeting confidence. I work on one Win8.1 machine and one Win10 machine. I keep Reaper on a USB stick (so my custom settings etc can move between machines) and my projects on OneDrive. Waves (in their wisdom) all but duped/forced me into moving from Waves Central v10 to v11. But v11 isn't supported on Win8.1. Also, the Settings/Tools stuff in Waves Central will remove all v10 or all v11 versions if you do an Update. It doesn't seem possible/easy to have both v10 and v11 on a machine. That means if I use v10 plugins on the Win8.1 machine, the Win10 machine will not recognise them as it only has v11 plugins on it. Or something like that. To be honest I'm completely confused by it all. And its not as if the plugins tell you (in your Reaper listing) whether they are v10 or v11 (why?) which might help a bit. So you end up in complete muddle. And even though I've bought all my Waves plugins within the last 12 months and so am covered for technical support, I've not found the Tech Support much use - they keep galloping to the rescue after I've sort of managed to fix a problem myself. So its hard to see how the extortionate Waves Update Plan fees are worth paying (and I won't be!).

So whilst I can't see me leaving Reaper behind, I might just wave Waves goodbye at some point. Which would be a shame, as I've had some good results with their plugins.

Hey ho, back to making music........if Waves Behaves (please Lord, let them!)

Last edited by mikeonb4c; 11-15-2019 at 09:04 AM.
mikeonb4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #14
EpicSounds

Video about some of the changes in this update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxlb4PNCt7M

Old 11-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #15
pepe44

When will we have more reaeq HPF and LPF slopes ?
Old 11-15-2019, 01:15 PM   #16
AJYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post

+ Mouse modifiers: add modifiers to move item contents while obeying snap
+ Render: allow specifying .aiff extension for AIFF files, .mp4 or .m4v for videos, etc
HECK YEAH. These two are extremely relevant additions for me, thank you very much.
AJYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:02 AM   #17
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
I'm actually still at 5.984 because of this.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #18
dmartinyesyes

Default Graphics issue?

If I open a midi item in an undocked midi editor, dock the editor, then undock and close the editor, Reaper's toolbar;docked at top of main window,does not respond to mouse clicks; the icons on my desktop underneath Reaper respond instead. This does not happen every time, but is reproducible.It also does not matter if there is a VST2, VST3,or empty midi item on the track.
Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

(Windows 7pro x64,Reaper x64,Dual 1920x1080 monitors)
dmartinyesyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:41 AM   #19
Ikary

Quote:
The change ensures that if you insert a point by clicking on the envelope itself, the previous curve is maintained and the shape of the previous point is used. If you insert a point by clicking not on the envelope itself but elsewhere in the lane, the default point shape is used. New behavior on the left, old behavior on the right:

Can there PLEASE be a way to change this to the previous behavior? I really hate this, because while it may be useful for instances like the admin showed, the way I write automation is by adding points to the right and then modifying their values (kind of like what bFooz showed in this thread), so now every time I do that I need to go back and set the point shape as the one I wanted, making the "default shape" option useless.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:14 AM   #20
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikary View Post
Can there PLEASE be a way to change this to the previous behavior?
Yes, this is reverted in the current development builds, and for the next release.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:37 AM   #21
pepe44

On thing that i asked some time ago, was the select multiple envelope points and move / copy it around the envelope lane. Seems it is working , since what version ? i missed that one, was just testing now !! eheh
Old 11-17-2019, 05:26 PM   #22
Breeder

Quote:
Yes, this is reverted in the current development builds, and for the next release.
I personally like this new behavior - maybe just add an option for it?
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:31 PM   #23
HugoRibeiroDotCom

The select all function(CMD+A / Ctrl+A) in the Project Directory Cleanup window is not woking for me in this version.

Was this removed or a bug?
HugoRibeiroDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:19 AM   #24
Xasman

Quote:
+ ReaGate: improve ducking mode, legacy ducking mode shows indeterminate checkbox
This looks interesting. Would someone care to elaborate on it though, please? I couldn't find any discussion about ReaGate in the pre-release section.
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #25
suchatravesty

Is anybody else bugged by "v5.985 + Arrange: use arrow rather than ibeam for various cursors"?

Is there a way to revert this on my own through the theme editor?
suchatravesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:58 AM   #26
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
This looks interesting. Would someone care to elaborate on it though, please? I couldn't find any discussion about ReaGate in the pre-release section.
Previously, with "invert gate (duck)" enabled, the signal that passes the gate was subtracted from the dry signal after applying the dry mix fader, so if you didn't have any dry mix, the FX would not do anything. Now the signal that passes the gate is subtracted before applying the dry fader.
Old 11-21-2023, 09:48 AM   #27
Stroudy

Quote:

My Reaper has stopped doing this...

I'm not sure why, but it's quite important with my migration to Native Silicon plugins.

Any help?
Stroudy is offline   Reply With Quote