Old 11-17-2021, 09:12 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default New Song - Oscar Blue

The latest rambling from me and my buddy on the East Coast, Polymod.

This started out as a simple acoustic drum test. I stripped my REAPER acoustic drums track template of all its FX and then put only ReaEQ and ReaComp on kick, snare, rack toms, floor tom and overheads. Once I liked what I was getting with just that, I added a track of bass and a track of guitar to see how the stripped down drum mix sounded with other instruments.

I thought it sounded pretty good, but sent a copy to my buddy Polymod to get his opinion, saying if he wanted to add some stuff, it could potentially be a song. It turned into this.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/son...ongID=14345625

I named it "Oscar Blue" because my blue Oscar Schmidt Delta King semi-hollow body guitar was the one I used to record the initial guitar track. That guitar was getting all lonely on the guitar rack, so I put it to use.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 05:00 PM   #2
TonE

Great. I like how many other elements are built/mixed around the main guitar most times. (Piano for example on my right ear, below, hearing over headphones.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 05:29 PM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Great. I like how many other elements are built/mixed around the main guitar most times. (Piano for example on my right ear, below, hearing over headphones.
Thanks TonE. Everything is mixed either 100% left, dead center or 100% right, or "LRC" as it's referred to in the mixing world.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:14 PM   #4
TonE

Is this a common technique? Who used this often in history? And why you decided to mix in this way and not differently (for example, allowing in between pan states)? Just asking out of curiosity.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:49 PM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Is this a common technique? Who used this often in history? And why you decided to mix in this way and not differently (for example, allowing in between pan states)? Just asking out of curiosity.
I've been mixing like that for a few years. It's kinda like the old Beatles records, but they were doing it because limitations in the electronics available back then.

I do LCR mixes because I think they have more clarity. Each speaker is reproducing fewer things at once. I heard about and tried it on a mix way back and have been doing all my mixes like that since.

Here's a SOS article on LCR mixing.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniq...-pros-and-cons