Old 10-29-2021, 02:12 PM   #1
Logan Stagg
Human being with feelings

Default Drum Sampling

Hello everyone

I've recently gotten the opportunity to sample some drums and I want to use them as a virtual instrument with random sample playback at five velocities. I know how to do this in ReaSamplomatic5000, though I want to be able to process individual mics (close mics and overheads) separately.

With much research, I've discovered that the Perfect Drums plugin can do this, but it only allows three velocity layers. Is there an alternative that can do this? I'm only interested in the sampler.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Logan Stagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 01:54 AM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan Stagg View Post
Hello everyone

I've recently gotten the opportunity to sample some drums and I want to use them as a virtual instrument with random sample playback at five velocities. I know how to do this in ReaSamplomatic5000, though I want to be able to process individual mics (close mics and overheads) separately.

With much research, I've discovered that the Perfect Drums plugin can do this, but it only allows three velocity layers. Is there an alternative that can do this? I'm only interested in the sampler.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I'm not sure where you did your research Logan, but Kontakt, and most sample players will play up to 127 layers. I think ReaSamplomatic5000 can too, but 127 layers is a little ridiculous. 32 to 48 layers with 3 to 5 round robins will be about as realistic as you can get.

I think you could do the individual mics with ReaSamplomatic5000, I haven't tried that but I have made programs with Kontakt which I think is probably the best there is for this.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 04:20 AM   #3
Logan Stagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I think you could do the individual mics with ReaSamplomatic5000, I haven't tried that but I have made programs with Kontakt which I think is probably the best there is for this.
I've just looked into Kontakt but unfortunately its way out of my price range. How would I go about blending the different mics in ReaSamplomatic5000?
Old 10-30-2021, 10:16 AM   #4
Tod

Quote:
I've just looked into Kontakt but unfortunately its way out of my price range. How would I go about blending the different mics in ReaSamplomatic5000?
You'd have to put each mic in separate instances of RS5K. If you've got a whole set of drums, I'd put each drum and cymbal on it's own track, I think it would be a little less messy and less confusing.

For instance, if you had 2 mics on the snare (Top & Bot) along with overheads and maybe a room mic, you would need 4 instances of RS5K.

How did you record the samples? By that I mean, what was your mic setup like?
Old 10-30-2021, 04:18 PM   #5
Logan Stagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
You'd have to put each mic in separate instances of RS5K. If you've got a whole set of drums, I'd put each drum and cymbal on it's own track, I think it would be a little less messy and less confusing.

For instance, if you had 2 mics on the snare (Top & Bot) along with overheads and maybe a room mic, you would need 4 instances of RS5K.

How did you record the samples? By that I mean, what was your mic setup like?
I've only used a close mic on each piece of the kit (excluding cymbals) and a zoom h4n as overheads.

If I were to use RS5K I would have to have the samples cycle instead of playing randomly so each hit aligns on all mics? I'm not sure how to do this, though ideally I'd like to have them play back randomly.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:10 PM   #6
Tod

Quote:
I've only used a close mic on each piece of the kit (excluding cymbals) and a zoom h4n as overheads.

If I were to use RS5K I would have to have the samples cycle instead of playing randomly so each hit aligns on all mics? I'm not sure how to do this, though ideally I'd like to have them play back randomly.
Hi Logan, it's been a long time since I used RS5K so I'm not sure what may have been up dated.

Horever, here is an old thread that might help you, I give all the numbers for RRs..

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=131531
Old 12-12-2021, 09:33 PM   #7
StevenMikel

Check out Groove Agent 5,it'll do what you're describing. I've done what you're talking about with some samples I bought.
StevenMikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 03:20 AM   #8
Amberience

BFD will allow you to import user samples, as many velocity layers as you like. Only mono or stereo though; no multichannel... yet.
Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote